Not going to class and bitter classmates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
the only times i've noted a hint of bitterness is when I ask someone for their notes, and they know darn well I've played over 36 holes of golf in the past 3 days.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sebastian. said:
One of them even went as far as to ask the class not to share the material with our colleages who didn't attend.

That's insane! Do you not have mp3's of lecture? That would never fly at OU, because the homeschoolers would just hear it on the mp3 and think it was hilarious :)

WhoisJohnGalt said:
That's insane! Do you not have mp3's of lecture? That would never fly at OU, because the homeschoolers would just hear it on the mp3 and think it was hilarious :)

We have an entire row of people in our class that record lectures on their ipod's.

I've never taken the time to listen to them, since all of the exam material comes from the information typed out for us on the notes given to us in our lockers.

I've also noticed that all of my letter grades went up since I quit going to class, since I can spend that time studying, affording me more social free time to improve my overall morale.

Sebastian. said:
Unfortunately a few of my professors used to give answers to a ton of exam questions in lecture that weren't mentioned in the notes or textbook.So I went to those classes. One of them even went as far as to ask the class not to share the material with our colleages who didn't attend. Why is it that so many academics just can't grasp the concept that people have different learning styles?

One of my clinical skills tutors asked our group for our opinion on what makes a good lecture, since she would be lecturing our class the next semester. I told her that it is important to have good, complete notes available because people don't like the game of having to fill in the blanks and also because lots of people don't learn well in class. Knowing that I was one of those students who didn't attend, she gave me a somewhat superior look and said she didn't want to "reward" people who skipped class. Ridiculous mentality.

dara678 said:
ppl just learn differently. for me, personally, i got better grades after going to class and at least hearing the material once. but to each his own.

what does bother me, though, is the fact that if you choose not to come to class you should forgo whatever happened during class. i hate when ppl ask, "oh so what happened in class? anything important to know? can i copy your notes?" blah blah. if you are so interested you should come to class in the first place.

I don't agree with this at all. Although I attend almost every class, for the classes I do not go to, sometimes I ask other people what is important and if I could get their notes, and if I attend a class that someone else didn't then I let them borrow my notes. But I would let anyone borrow my notes even if they did not attend class at all. What's the point of withholding information for no reason? These people are your future colleagues!

I also get irked when I miss the first couple hours and then before the next lecture someone will ask me, where were YOU this morning? I don't think it's ribbing, it's more that some people don't realize that it is more efficient not to attend certain classes and so they associate missing class with slacking.

This is a great thread. Two of my classmates skip class completely - one of them has a long commute and works so it's totally understandable - and I've been giving this an awful lot of thought. I also learn best by sitting at home and reading and writing my own notes and answers. BUT, the days I don't go to school, I kind of find myself putting insane amounts of pressure on myself. I - like many a med student, apparently - tend to have small bouts of depression, and then it's definitely a plus to go to school and meet people. Does anyone else struggle with this? Getting up, studying and coming home seems like such a drag. Dr Ben Carson notwithstanding.

prettypea said:
This is a great thread. Two of my classmates skip class completely - one of them has a long commute and works so it's totally understandable - and I've been giving this an awful lot of thought. I also learn best by sitting at home and reading and writing my own notes and answers. BUT, the days I don't go to school, I kind of find myself putting insane amounts of pressure on myself. I - like many a med student, apparently - tend to have small bouts of depression, and then it's definitely a plus to go to school and meet people. Does anyone else struggle with this? Getting up, studying and coming home seems like such a drag. Dr Ben Carson notwithstanding.

im sure every doctor that we see as outstanding has had his difficult momments. im sure ben carson left out some things from his books regarding depression and horrible momments in med school.

dont feel bad, if anything you can always talk to me regarding the pressure

prettypea said:

I get depressed when I'm sitting in class, when I'd rather be out doing something fun.