Not sure if I have what it takes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Auroraloveswolves

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here. I've wanted to be a SA vet as long as I can remember. I'm in my senior year of high school right now. All of my classes except one are college classes I'm taking online through a local community college, and I have all As, with my highest grade being 99.33%. I'm taking four college classes this semester and four more in the spring. I also took two full year in-school college classes last year through a nearby university and my grades last year were all As except for two Bs in the last quarter (one in Spanish 3- which was a college class, and one in chemistry).

I've done some research and know that vet school is really, really hard to get into, so I'm trying to get a head start. I've recently contacted a vet and am going to start volunteering at her shelter, which has dogs, cats, birds, horses, pigs, goats, alpacas... all sorts of different animals. :) In a few months I'll start volunteering at a humane society as well.

I've filled out an application to a 4 year university for a bachelor's degree in biology with a focus on pre-vet but haven't submitted it yet. My problem is that I'm afraid that I can't handle the 8 years of school. For starters, I don't know how cells work and I hate chemistry. Granted, my chem class last year was a joke and that's why I didn't learn anything- nobody did, but that makes me worry even more because I'm going to have no prior knowledge. Anatomy/physiology is also hard to me. It's my lowest grade this semester as I currently have a 91%.

I'm also really nervous about messing up and accidentally hurting an animal or even killing it. I know that vet school is at least 5 years away, but is that really enough time to learn everything? I'm a slow learner, but once I know something, it sticks. Did anyone else have these fears when they first started? How do you overcome your fears? I do have really bad anxiety so I feel overwhelmed just thinking about all of these things.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What's that supposed to mean? All I'm asking is if I'm going to be able to handle vigorous classes if I'm not good at them/don't have prior experience. I'll try to explain this again. Math and science are awful to me and I have to work my butt off to get an A in those classes. It's not something that comes easy to me. Like I said, it takes me a while to understand things. I do like science (math, not so much), but it's so hard for me to "get". My mom's practically tutoring me in A&P this semester (she's a retired RN).

Plus, I haven't even taken pre-calc yet, but if I go for a pre-vet major, in my first year of college I'll be taking calculus, which is sort of concerning. The highest math I've taken is algebra II. Nor did I score high enough on a placement test to take even entry level math college courses this year, though I excelled in reading and writing.

I just don't want to put money into a 4 year university if I won't be able to keep up with the classes. My parents have been hounding me about pursuing a different career so that I don't end up dropping out. They think I should do something that takes a lot less schooling or that can be done online. I really want this, but when even other people start doubting me... I don't know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've filled out an application to a 4 year university for a bachelor's degree in biology with a focus on pre-vet but haven't submitted it yet. My problem is that I'm afraid that I can't handle the 8 years of school. For starters, I don't know how cells work and I hate chemistry. Granted, my chem class last year was a joke and that's why I didn't learn anything- nobody did, but that makes me worry even more because I'm going to have no prior knowledge. Anatomy/physiology is also hard to me. It's my lowest grade this semester as I currently have a 91%.

I'm also really nervous about messing up and accidentally hurting an animal or even killing it. I know that vet school is at least 5 years away, but is that really enough time to learn everything? I'm a slow learner, but once I know something, it sticks. Did anyone else have these fears when they first started? How do you overcome your fears? I do have really bad anxiety so I feel overwhelmed just thinking about all of these things.

Academics aside....this will happen. I guarantee it. Everyone messes up, and sometimes badly. You need to start beginning to accept that this will happen.

A 91% is fine. Stop sweating it. Christ.

Stop worrying about being able to handle 8 years of school until you are through undergrad at least. Of course you don't have a good handle of cell and molec - you are still in high school. Give it time.

You will learn the vast majority of what you need to know to be a vet in vet school. College helps lay a foundation, of course But vet school is when the real applicable **** starts to happen. Again, you are worrying way too far in advance.

Reactions: 1 users
You seriously have plenty of time to think about this. Go to college, see how you do. I think you'll be fine as long as you study hard. You're still in high school, I think you are wayyy over analyzing this. Just calm down, take a breath, and keep on doing well. You'll be fine and you have plenty of time to decide what career path is best for you. Some people don't even know if they want to go to vet school until after they finish their undergrad. You have plenty of time!!
As regards to you "having no prior knowledge", that's what college is for. To gain knowledge. I remember virtually nothing from high school science/math classes (even though they were AP) but everything you need for "base knowledge" will be taught to you in college.

Plus, I haven't even taken pre-calc yet, but if I go for a pre-vet major, in my first year of college I'll be taking calculus, which is sort of concerning. The highest math I've taken is algebra II. Nor did I score high enough on a placement test to take even entry level math college courses this year, though I excelled in reading and writing.

The only math I took in high school was stats and pre algebra. Lol. You will be fine.

Calm down.

Heck, I think my high school GPA was barely above a 3.0 and my undergrad GPA was just under a 3.5 and I'm 7 months from graduating vet school. And you're freaking out over a 91%. Calm down. The end.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I will say, from the looks of things right now. undergrad and vet school is going to be extremely stressful for you!! I still think you should 100% go for it, but you need to find ways to manage your stress and anxiety. Use the summers and breaks to do cool stuff and get experience, and study hard during the semester.. But also take a breather every once in a while. The stress can be managed (and I know, I'm a worrier by nature and have had to seriously work on that throughout undergrad), but you're going to be so unhappy if you're THIS worried about everything all throughout your college career :( don't get burnt out too early, because it will be a long road ahead!

Yes, relax! Enjoy college, change your major a few times, work hard at your classes, and don't let anyone tell you not to do something that you believe strongly in doing. You say you have to work your butt off to get A's in math and science and they don't come easy to you? Are they supposed to...who said that, I missed that memo... I have worked very hard in every class I took in college, and still didn't get an A every time, usually in a math or science course. I love chemistry most of the time, but sometimes I really don't. Gaining something of value, say your future career for instance, isn't necessarily going to be an easy path. I'm glad you foresee that it will be hard, yet why are you letting it discourage you? Hard work builds character. Rely on yourself for your confidence, not on others. When people doubt you, they doubt themselves first because we judge other's quite a bit based on our own capabilities. Scared you will hurt an animal on accident? I'm scared every single day of making a mistake with a treatment. When it almost happens, learn from it. When it actually happens, own up to it, learn, and move on. I'm not in vet school yet, but I will be soon. You have so much to go through and experience before you get to this point, relax!

Keep doing well in your college courses.

Get that volunteer/work experience. Get some other vet experience too - large animal, research, whatever you think is neat. Variety is good even if most of your hours end up being small animal general practice.

Look at the costs (read: the debts) of vet school and plan accordingly - save money, get help from relatives, get scholarships, go to an affordable undergrad. Plan to attend your in state vet school if you have one.

It's my lowest grade this semester as I currently have a 91%.

Never post/speak this sentence again. You probably don't realize it's absurd yet, but you probably will.

Some people don't even know if they want to go to vet school until after they finish their undergrad.

change your major a few times

Both of these are me! Major in whatever you want, but try to get the prerequisites for vet school in. You have a long time to decide and everyone gets to vet school on a different path. Get some experience, see if you like it. I would suggest trying to find some balance in your life. You seem prone to anxiety and letting stress overwhelm you. You are in high school and you are going to learn so much in college (in class and out of class) without having any background knowledge. So, don't worry about having background before college.

I would definitely urge you to seek a bachelor's in whatever you want. If you decide to switch out of prevet, who cares? That's not "dropping out." I changed my major like 3 times, then ended up double majoring. lol. Don't set yourself on a path too early, this is the time to explore what you want to do! Take random classes, take some pre-vet stuff, take a heavy schedule, take a light schedule, get some weird jobs, don't waste your summers.

Don't stress about an A-. You are fine.

Stop freaking out about a 91%. You still have so much to learn and experience, young padawan. In due time, you will realize how silly you sound.

Seriously. I graduated high school with something like a 2.4 GPA, finished my freshman year of college with a 1.6, switched my major once, and am about seven months from finishing undergrad entirely with what will (best case scenario) be just around 3.4. I'm applying for vet school right now, and am already 2/4 for interviews.

I'll just reiterate what everyone else has said: calm down. And I don't mean that in some jerky, holier-than-thou way; I mean it sincerely.

Get some real vet experience, do well in your undergrad, and preferably try to minimize your educational debt pre vet school if at all possible. You have no idea if you can actually handle it until you actually get to undergrad. College and high school (even AP/IB and dual credit courses) are very much worlds apart.

Last edited by a moderator:
As for messing up medically, I'm certain that it will happen to everyone. It may result in death or it may not. If you don't do it yourself (by some miracle), your tech will. This applies to human medicine as well. A wise person once told me that "We're animals taking care of other animals." The best thing you can do is be careful. A lot of mistakes happen just because someone grabbed the wrong bottle off of the shelf, even though they had the right idea in mind. Always double check yourself. When in doubt, there's nothing wrong with having someone else double check you as well. If you didn't draw it up yourself, don't inject it without verifying what the syringe contains/where it was drawn up from (sometimes you can't do this).

Academic worries: I stressed just like you did, but not over a 91%. You should be extremely proud, that is a 4.0 to most schools! In a few years, you'll be grateful for a 71%. It sounds crazy (because it is), but just continue to rock out your pre-reqs and relax.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, everyone has to work their butts off in undergrad to get the grades you've earned. For most of us, we can't sit back and get 4.0's. Part of getting into veterinary school is showing (through academics) that you are a dedicated student who is capable of doing well with a difficult course load.

My only concern is that you may not enjoy science courses if "math and science are awful to you." It's one thing to not do well in these courses, it's another to hate them entirely. Math is a bit less of a concern (you normally won't be doing anything more than algebra in vet school), but if you can't stand taking science courses, you won't 'enjoy' veterinary courses. Veterinary school is all science. Histology, physiology, anatomy, neurobiology, biochemistry, etc etc.

Yes, I would definitely just try it and see how you do. I HATED science in high school and thought I sucked at it and one of the reasons I didn't pursue vet school earlier is because I thought I couldn't cut it with the math and science. I pursued a degree in something else, then started grad school and lo and behold here I am after doing a post-bacc (that's when you take undergrad classes for something else even after you already have a degree) and I managed to ace almost everything, even organic chemistry. And I was HORRIBLE at chemistry in high school. Go to a smaller school if you can, where you won't have 300 people in your classes. The one on one attention can really help. Take a year off between your bachelors degree and vet school if you feel you need a break. Travel, get more work experience, life experience. But most of all, stop putting so much pressure on yourself as a high school student to have it all figured out. Most of us changed majors 2 or 3 times -- or even after we graduated! - before we finally committed to this. You have plenty of time, and I know if you're the type of person who is worrying about this before you've graduated high school, having all these people say "you have time don't worry" probably isn't making you feel any better. But just try to take our advice, because we have all been there. Best of luck to you.

... and I managed to ace almost everything, even organic chemistry. And I was HORRIBLE at chemistry in high school.

You aced organic chemistry?!?!?! :wow:Wow. How did you do it?

Calm down.

Heck, I think my high school GPA was barely above a 3.0 and my undergrad GPA was just under a 3.5 and I'm 7 months from graduating vet school. And you're freaking out over a 91%. Calm down. The end.

Wait a minute, I thought you weren't going to take this one :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 users
Hard work, researching a good teacher, taking it in a small class, utilizing every resource and assuming it was going to kill me going in so I worked hard from day 1. However, the same technique is not working this semester in Biochem where my professor asks questions analogous to "what is your favorite food: a) pasta b) spaghetti c) a and b" but thankfully, my interviews will be granted or not granted before anybody sees my grade in this class... Bwuahahaha.

I LOVED ochem!! Wish I could say the same for gen chem :/ and I liked biochem too but didn't do too well lol

I LOVED ochem!! Wish I could say the same for gen chem :/ and I liked biochem too but didn't do too well lol
Same here! Loved, loved, loved both semesters of organic chem! I seriously thought that I was the only one, haha. :love:

Gen chem wasn't my thing at all. Gen chem 1 wasn't too bad, but 2 was... ugh. That was my one C in a science class right there. I'm currently in biochem; while I enjoy what we're studying, the class itself really tries my patience sometimes. My professor is very non-traditional in his teaching methods and they just aren't doing it for me at all. Thankfully, we've moved from the enzyme kinetics and Michaelis-Menton stuff onto carbohydrates, lipids, and membrane proteins, which I personally find easier to understand at least on a conceptual level (it helps that most of it is review from cell bio). Hoping to somehow still pull a low A out of there. :barf:

What's that supposed to mean? All I'm asking is if I'm going to be able to handle vigorous classes if I'm not good at them/don't have prior experience. I'll try to explain this again. Math and science are awful to me and I have to work my butt off to get an A in those classes

Well, you're getting an A. So I would guess you can handle vigorous classes. I don't think they are awful to you if you're getting an A just because you actually (gasp?) have to work at it.

Slow down, lower your anxiety/stress level a bit, and enjoy your time in school. Start volunteering like you're planning and build up some experience. Aim your trajectory to get through undergrad with a degree you enjoy and all the vet school pre-requisites under control.

It will all be ok.

Same here! Loved, loved, loved both semesters of organic chem! I seriously thought that I was the only one, haha. :love:

Gen chem wasn't my thing at all. Gen chem 1 wasn't too bad, but 2 was... ugh. That was my one C in a science class right there. I'm currently in biochem; while I enjoy what we're studying, the class itself really tries my patience sometimes. My professor is very non-traditional in his teaching methods and they just aren't doing it for me at all. Thankfully, we've moved from the enzyme kinetics and Michaelis-Menton stuff onto carbohydrates, lipids, and membrane proteins, which I personally find easier to understand at least on a conceptual level (it helps that most of it is review from cell bio). Hoping to somehow still pull a low A out of there. :barf:

I made a C in gen chem 1 and BARELY pulled a B in chem 2... I think I could have done better if I tried harder. But I made As in both ochems, I loved it and my SO teaches/tutors ochem at the university so that helped :D I really loved biochem but made a C (it was almost a B, like a 78-79) without a curve, so it was okay :) I seriously learned so much useful info in that class. Actually really looking forward to it in vet school! I'm sorry about your professor, mine was really non traditional too and I didn't like the way he tested us. I went to his office once a week to review what we learned, and that didn't even do much to help on the tests. He was huge into research so the majority of what we learned was about different biochemical tests. Elisa, blots, gels, a thousand more I can't remember the name of... Lol. Still useful though! Especially since a lot of those tests are used behind the scenes in vet med.
And I'm utterly terrified of cell bio.. Taking it next semester. It's supposed to be extremely difficult, but I think I will enjoy the material!!

Last edited:
Thankfully, we've moved from the enzyme kinetics and Michaelis-Menton stuff onto carbohydrates, lipids, and membrane proteins, which I personally find easier to understand at least on a conceptual level (it helps that most of it is review from cell bio). Hoping to somehow still pull a low A out of there. :barf:

Hmm, wondering how the biochemistry classes differ across schools... We finished all of that a month ago and I have my first metabolism exam in a week. :help: My only consolation is that I love the material and find it very interesting, and despite not being able to pull off better than a B, I understand it well so I'm excited to learn more about it in veterinary school.

Hun, please do not worry yet. Study hard, do your best. You don't need all A's. Volunteer at some hospitals and see if you can handle the environment, thats the biggest tell in if you're up for it.

Seems like the OP might not be coming back.

Wow. I wish I could fret about 91 being my lowest grade... I'm worried about C's on my transcript! Lol

I aced both semesters of Ochem. Like 99%. I'm not actually sure how I did it, but I just really enjoyed the material. It was something that came naturally and it was odd!

Wow. I wish I could fret about 91 being my lowest grade... I'm worried about C's on my transcript! Lol

When I got a C in biochem (and had a previous C in gen chem), I cried and cried because I was sure I would never get in to vet school with 2 C's. A good friend patted me on the back and said something I will never forget: "Baby, if success can have 2 C's so can you!!" Lol. Loved it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I aced both semesters of Ochem. Like 99%. I'm not actually sure how I did it, but I just really enjoyed the material. It was something that came naturally and it was odd!
noyouneedtogo.jpg

Likewise. Once I really got into my groove with mechanisms, I found that doing the problems actually became... well... kinda fun. Or at least far more enjoyable than gen chem problems.

I miss organic. :(

Likewise. Once I really got into my groove with mechanisms, I found that doing the problems actually became... well... kinda fun. Or at least far more enjoyable than gen chem problems.

I miss organic. :(

I never thought I would miss it, but I really do!! I am done with my chem minor, and I spent so much of my life in the chem building... Probably cut a couple of years off of my life. But every time I go in and take in the scent of the building and the pressure difference blows my hair everywhere when I open the door, I get a little sad... Lol

I have all As, with my highest grade being 99.33%.

I've done some research and know that vet school is really, really hard to get into, so I'm trying to get a head start.

My problem is that I'm afraid that I can't handle the 8 years of school.

I'm also really nervous about messing up and accidentally hurting an animal or even killing it. Did anyone else have these fears when they first started? How do you overcome your fears? I do have really bad anxiety so I feel overwhelmed just thinking about all of these things.

You sound a lot like me. In high school I was really anxious about getting through major life goals (college, graduate school, career, etc) and really overwhelmed by the idea of doing any of it, making it through eight years of school, etc. Here's what I've learned since I graduated high school: you will have multiple opportunities to change your mind, try something new, or change your major, and it will NOT ruin your life. You may start college dead certain you want to be a vet (I was dead certain I wanted to be an astrophysicist) and change in the second to last quarter of your senior year (like I did) to something completely different (like biology) and cram all your classes into a year and a half and still graduate on time.

Your volunteering work is great. Keep at it! Also shadow different kinds of vets--humane society (shelter medicine) is different from equine, is different from small animal, is different from large animal. Vet schools will want a variety. Try to do some research as well, even if it's "grunt work" it will look good on a resume.

8 years is a long time. You know what else is long? The rest of your life. It doesn't feel this way now, but you have a LOT of time. Like, a lot. I know a number of vet students who are in their late twenties or thirties. You CAN take a break from school and work. I needed a break after college and took three solid years off. I needed it. Now, I want nothing more than to go BACK to school, but I'm so glad I had that time off.

I had all the same fears. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to stomach the blood and guts. I was afraid I would kill a creature. I was afraid that I didn't have the smarts. But that changed. And as you grow older you will also mature and change, and you'll gain more confidence because you'll see yourself doing things successfully you didn't think you could do (for myself, that would be taxes ;) ). You'll also fail. I guarantee this, because your definition of success is way too strict. Try to remember that sometimes success is a C. Sometimes success is dropping that class that makes life unbearable and taking it again later with a different teacher. Sometimes success is changing your mind. Sometimes success is admitting you need help, or don't want to do the thing you were so certain you wanted to do three years ago. But you only "fail" if you stop trying. I know because I've met these people--in their thirties, so afraid of failing they don't apply to their dream jobs or programs. If you never try, you never fail, but you also never succeed. So try. Fail. Succeed. Fail a bunch more, and remember that life is long. You have time. It may feel overwhelming at times, the amount of knowledge you'll have to gain, but life is long. So get out there, take a bunch of classes, have fun, make mistakes, and good luck!

I had all the same fears. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to stomach the blood and guts. I was afraid I would kill a creature. I was afraid that I didn't have the smarts. But that changed. And as you grow older you will also mature and change, and you'll gain more confidence because you'll see yourself doing things successfully you didn't think you could do (for myself, that would be taxes ;) ). You'll also fail. I guarantee this, because your definition of success is way too strict. Try to remember that sometimes success is a C. Sometimes success is dropping that class that makes life unbearable and taking it again later with a different teacher. Sometimes success is changing your mind. Sometimes success is admitting you need help, or don't want to do the thing you were so certain you wanted to do three years ago. But you only "fail" if you stop trying. I know because I've met these people--in their thirties, so afraid of failing they don't apply to their dream jobs or programs. If you never try, you never fail, but you also never succeed. So try. Fail. Succeed. Fail a bunch more, and remember that life is long. You have time. It may feel overwhelming at times, the amount of knowledge you'll have to gain, but life is long. So get out there, take a bunch of classes, have fun, make mistakes, and good luck!

Yeah and also people shouldn't feel like they're a failure because they haven't achieved x by y point in their life. Just because you can't get there at the speed of light doesn't mean you'll never get there :)

Yeah and also people shouldn't feel like they're a failure because they haven't achieved x by y point in their life. Just because you can't get there at the speed of light doesn't mean you'll never get there :)
Lol. I need to tape this on my laptop as a reminder for the regular inundating of engagement/wedding/pregnancy announcements I get on FB.

Lol. I need to tape this on my laptop as a reminder for the regular inundating of engagement/wedding/pregnancy announcements I get on FB.

Oh god, yeah, I know what you mean...though not so much pregnancy because I'm never having kids.

And when my brain goes into "I'm gonna get all depressed" mode it loves to get amnesia and forget things like what I said in my last post. So I put reminder notes up all over my bedroom to remind it's forgetful ass xD

"Oh yeah, I'm not failing at life!"

No ****.

Here's my recommendation to you: go to college, get the degree in whatever it is you think you want. If you are interested in being a vet, you're likely interested in something to do with animals, so the degree in biology will help you whatever you choose. Since you already have a ton of college credits from taking courses in high school, you'll finish college sooner. When you do, you may very well feel like you aren't ready for any more schooling and that is OK! I did post secondary in high school and completed 3 years of college in my last 2 years of college. I then completed the last year and graduated with my bachelors in Biology at the age of 18. I had wanted to do animal care since I was 5 and working with the killer whales at sea world was my goal (I know, I know, I've since realized the errors of my ways). My internship at six flags fell through because they closed and I ended up at a wildlife center instead. Discovered my true calling in life (wildlife rehab) and did that for SEVEN YEARS while working at an electronics place, trying to decide what in the world I was gonna do with my life. Rehabbing makes no money (actually costs about $3,000 a year) and the job at the electronics place was repetitive and boring and I couldn't do that forever. Finally decided to become a vet and now here I am, a 4th year about to graduate.

My recommendation to you, get the college degree and then explore what it is you wanna do with your life. Once you have the degree, you can work your way up in pretty much any company (I went from assembler to production control specialist working in the office over my 7 years at the electronics place) so go for whatever you want. Either choose a job you think you'll love and see where that takes you or choose something that gives you time to explore and find what it is you love. You do NOT have to go straight through and become a vet right away. Those people seem to be the most unsure at this point if they really should have become a vet in the first place.

As for grades, I know the feeling. I worked really hard and studied like all the time in undergrad and got a 3.99 (and yep, I was really mad about the one A- that shattered my hopes of a 4.0). I was so burnt out by the end that the only way I would have continued on beyond the bachelors was if I was chained to the desk and forced to go to school. I was DONE! So, know that feeling is OK too and that it'll pass. I still have that inward drive to do my absolute best, which is always the goal to be number 1 at whatever it is I'm aiming for. Do I have a 3.99 GPA now, no, but I've also discovered my love of wildlife rehab, so I'll take Bs and wild mammal babies over all As any day :). My life goal is to be the best wildlife rehabber I can be, which takes a lot of pressure off the veterinarian aspect of things. I still do my best, but I'm OK with not knowing absolutely everything. A lot of people have being a vet as their number 1 priority and those people struggle a lot more than I do with feeling inadequate. So, have something else in your life!

Here's my recommendation to you: go to college, get the degree in whatever it is you think you want. If you are interested in being a vet, you're likely interested in something to do with animals, so the degree in biology will help you whatever you choose. Since you already have a ton of college credits from taking courses in high school, you'll finish college sooner. When you do, you may very well feel like you aren't ready for any more schooling and that is OK! I did post secondary in high school and completed 3 years of college in my last 2 years of college. I then completed the last year and graduated with my bachelors in Biology at the age of 18. I had wanted to do animal care since I was 5 and working with the killer whales at sea world was my goal (I know, I know, I've since realized the errors of my ways). My internship at six flags fell through because they closed and I ended up at a wildlife center instead. Discovered my true calling in life (wildlife rehab) and did that for SEVEN YEARS while working at an electronics place, trying to decide what in the world I was gonna do with my life. Rehabbing makes no money (actually costs about $3,000 a year) and the job at the electronics place was repetitive and boring and I couldn't do that forever. Finally decided to become a vet and now here I am, a 4th year about to graduate.

My recommendation to you, get the college degree and then explore what it is you wanna do with your life. Once you have the degree, you can work your way up in pretty much any company (I went from assembler to production control specialist working in the office over my 7 years at the electronics place) so go for whatever you want. Either choose a job you think you'll love and see where that takes you or choose something that gives you time to explore and find what it is you love. You do NOT have to go straight through and become a vet right away. Those people seem to be the most unsure at this point if they really should have become a vet in the first place.

As for grades, I know the feeling. I worked really hard and studied like all the time in undergrad and got a 3.99 (and yep, I was really mad about the one A- that shattered my hopes of a 4.0). I was so burnt out by the end that the only way I would have continued on beyond the bachelors was if I was chained to the desk and forced to go to school. I was DONE! So, know that feeling is OK too and that it'll pass. I still have that inward drive to do my absolute best, which is always the goal to be number 1 at whatever it is I'm aiming for. Do I have a 3.99 GPA now, no, but I've also discovered my love of wildlife rehab, so I'll take Bs and wild mammal babies over all As any day :). My life goal is to be the best wildlife rehabber I can be, which takes a lot of pressure off the veterinarian aspect of things. I still do my best, but I'm OK with not knowing absolutely everything. A lot of people have being a vet as their number 1 priority and those people struggle a lot more than I do with feeling inadequate. So, have something else in your life!

A 3.99 is amazing! Did you have your choice of pretty much any vet school? (Assuming compatible pre-reqs.) And I like your 3.99 better than a 4.0. 3.99 makes you seem amazing, yet still human. Even awesome humans miss the mark sometimes! :D

And I like your current attitude toward your studies! That's the attitude I strive for, too. Whenever I study something, I wanna do a great job learning it, but I don't wanna push myself to go over the material so many times that I am absolutely hating life. There comes a point where if some detail is just not sticking, I will let it go.

Also, I think a B in vet school is badass, considering how hard you gotta work to get it :p

im interested... what has the veternarian schooling path been like for you if you're taking the wildlife route?