Not sure what to do at this point

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bonescream

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm 24 years old and work at a minimum wage job, mostly as a result of poor decisions on my part.

Anyways, one thing good I can say about myself is that I'm extremely good with the little amount of money I do earn, and I am returning soon to finish the last 30 or so credits of my bachelors in a science field. I'll graduate with a GPA around 3.5-3.6.

Here are the paths I'm considering and the reasons I have some doubts in all of them:

MD: I seriously don't think I could get into one of these programs even with a great MCAT score at this point. Largely due to my 2 breaks from school and large amount of W's on my transcript due to from withdrawing from a few semesters.

DO: I've read they're more understanding than MD schools and with grade replacement I'd probably have a 3.7 when I graduated. Although, again the problem is my withdrawals which I don't have a great excuse/cause for like illness, or loss of a parent.

CRNA: As far as salary and working conditions go this profession sounds great. Then again from I've read so far is that there is a struggle for power between them and physicians they work under as to who can do what. I don't want any part in that. If I were to become a CRNA I would respect that the physician had more strenuous training than I and should have more authority. I get the feeling that physicians would instantly judge me because of my position even though I agree that they should decide what I can and cannot do. Then again, maybe a doctor would appreciate having a CRNA with this attitude and I could be a great asset.

Anyways I'm a little scared to apply to MD/DO schools. I have to be honest it has taken a long time for me to grow up. I basically withdrew from school because I hated living on campus as a freshmen and got depressed and my grades suffered. I then returned a year and half later and retook classes I had screwed up in earning 4.0's for three semesters. Than my fiancee (who encouraged me to return to school in the first place) and I went through some troubling times in our relationship and I basically had to choose one or the other and ended up withdrawing two semesters in a row because of our issues. I don't know how to explain that to an adcom. When I returned to school for the first time I really thought I could get into MD or DO program because I had obviously proven that I had matured and fixed what had gone wrong my first 3 semesters on campus. On top of all this I've been working minimum wage (all I can find, unemployment is horrible in my state right now and I'm just lucky to have 40 hours a week at this point) and don't come from a very wealthy family so my life experiences aren't exactly amazing.

I'm trying to make something of myself because I know I am smart and if I could start with a fresh academic slate it would be a different story. Sadly that's not the case and need advice because I think being a physician is truly just a dream of mine at this point.

Members don't see this ad.

If you really want to be a doctor, don't be afraid to apply. I went through very similar situations to what you stated, and also took two breaks from school. I had two semesters of withdrawals and a recent withdrawal from Ochem II, and I have 1 DO and 3 MD interviews scheduled and 1 DO acceptance so far this application cycle. My GPA was 3.5, and I scored a 30 on the MCAT. My withdrawals weren't even brought up in the one interview I've attended.

If you really want to be a doctor, don't be afraid to apply. I went through very similar situations to what you stated, and also took two breaks from school. I had two semesters of withdrawals and a recent withdrawal from Ochem II, and I have 1 DO and 3 MD interviews scheduled and 1 DO acceptance so far this application cycle. My GPA was 3.5, and I scored a 30 on the MCAT. My withdrawals weren't even brought up in the one interview I've attended.
This is so inspiring to hear. Thank you so much for responding to my post. If anyone else has any insight or suggestions please post as well!

- bone

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with elektron. Depending on your MCAT score, you have a chance at MD and DO if you can consistently perform well in academics for a period of time, get all the usual and customary ECs, develop relationships with faculty so as to get great letters of recommendation, and interview well. Adcomms know that life happens. It's what you learned from those experiences that gives you the maturity they're looking for.

I agree with elektron. Depending on your MCAT score, you have a chance at MD and DO if you can consistently perform well in academics for a period of time, get all the usual and customary ECs, develop relationships with faculty so as to get great letters of recommendation, and interview well. Adcomms know that life happens. It's what you learned from those experiences that gives you the maturity they're looking for.

I only have about 32 credits left. I don't know how fast I could not knock this out while working full time, but I'm hoping to finish it in a full school year including a summer course or two. Do you think I should take some extra science courses on top of finishing my degree to further prove to be a stable student? To me 32 credits spread over 2 or 3 semesters doesn't seem like it would be enough. Then again extra courses at this point seem like another luxury I simply can't afford, but if they prove to be absolutely necessary I would find a way to pay for them.

Also I just calculated if I ace my final courses I'll be sitting at 3.55 GPA and 3.65 GPA for DO's due to grade replacement. I retook physics II (C to A+) bio II (C to A+) and bio II lab (C to A).

I really shot myself in the foot because I could have asked for LOR's from my bio II and phys II professors. I got the highest final grade in a class of over 100 students in my physics II class, and I scored very well in bio II as well (even got a 99 on one exam). I was also in their office hours regularly, but I took these courses in Fall 2007 and there's no way they'd remember me at this point.

Also, a question as far as EC's go, do adcoms consider the time it takes to commute to school? I'll have to commute to school and the drive is about an hour each way, then classes, and on top of that working full time. I think I could work in a few hours of volunteering and shadowing some docs, but I don't know how I'll fit more into my day without finding a higher paying job and working less hours.

I think EC's are where I need the greatest amount of advice to be honest. Largely because even if I dedicate absolutely all of my time into improving my application I'm afraid there simply won't be enough hours in a day for me to compete with other applicants. Not trying to make excuses for myself it's just a concern of mine :(

Thanks for your reply Cat, I've read some of your posts and you seem to be full of great advice!

1) I only have about 32 credits left. I don't know how fast I could not knock this out while working full time, but I'm hoping to finish it in a full school year including a summer course or two. Do you think I should take some extra science courses on top of finishing my degree to further prove to be a stable student? To me 32 credits spread over 2 or 3 semesters doesn't seem like it would be enough.

2) Also I just calculated if I ace my final courses I'll be sitting at 3.55 GPA and 3.65 GPA for DO's due to grade replacement. I retook physics II (C to A+) bio II (C to A+) and bio II lab (C to A).

3) Also, a question as far as EC's go, do adcoms consider the time it takes to commute to school?

I'll have to commute to school and the drive is about an hour each way, then classes, and on top of that working full time. I think I could work in a few hours of volunteering and shadowing some docs, but I don't know how I'll fit more into my day without finding a higher paying job and working less hours.

4) I think EC's are where I need the greatest amount of advice to be honest.
1) I usually suggest that the most recent 1.5-2 years of academic work show consistent good results. If you return to school this comming semester, that would give you enough time to do your thing and be able to apply summer 2012. After the prerequisites are done, get in some upper level sciences above and beyond that 32 hours.

2) That would be pretty competitive.

3) No. But they will consider that you worked full-time.

4) You will have to find the time to get in the needed ECs, even if you spend an extra year doing so before you apply. If you can give just 2 hours every other week to both a clinical experience and a nonmedical community service over the next 1.5 years, you'll be fine (don't wait to get this started, as 1.5 years of involvement on the application is average). Shadowing can be done in intense bursts during school breaks.

Well I just calculated and budgeted my money for the upcoming months before the fall of next year. To fully pay for my schooling myself (don't think I'll receive grants) I'll have to work a second job for at least 5 months (at minimum wage). So, I'm going to be looking for one ASAP.

Also I'm thinking of doing 2 Fall, 2 Spring, and a Summer semester to prove my erratic ways are behind me.

68 credits is what I'm aiming for hoping that will be enough.

I'm also looking to do some work for Habitat for Humanity and volunteer at the hospital my mom works at. I'll let you know how it goes Cat. Thanks again.

That could be the case. Maybe I feel worse about the way my transcript than I should.

The 68 credits at a 4.0 would leave me at 3.65, which is a somewhat realistic goal considering I've done it before; however, the job I'm working at right now is extremely strenuous labor and leaves me exhausted.

I'd love to PM you a more detailed look at my transcript if you'd be willing to look it over to get a better idea Cat. I know I'm asking a lot from you here sorry.