Not sure what to do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elk17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got my MCAT scores yesterday. I got a 29O, and expected much higher. I only want allopathic medicine, though. I have a 3.8 GPA and 3.7 science GPA. I am on a research fellowship with the NIH that is the only program of its kind in the country, and as part of that I have been doing rotations at the hospital all summer. I also volunteer by teaching nutrition at an inner city shelter for pregnant women. I have over 1000 clinical hours of experience from working at the hospital throughout college. Im not sure if I should take the MCAT again and delay applying, or go ahead and apply. I really dont care what med school I go to, as long as I get into one. What are my chances? What do you suggest I do?

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone,
just looking for advice still.
i posted this last week, i'm still in distress! My primary AMCAS is done, I'm just wondering if I should send it.

Go ahead and apply. your stats isnt that bad...I mean u also have to look at the EC's and GPA. If you are worried, you can talk to admissions about your chances and retaking but Id say ur fine...
Good Luck!:)

I just got my MCAT scores yesterday. I got a 29O, and expected much higher. I only want allopathic medicine, though. I have a 3.8 GPA and 3.7 science GPA. I am on a research fellowship with the NIH that is the only program of its kind in the country, and as part of that I have been doing rotations at the hospital all summer. I also volunteer by teaching nutrition at an inner city shelter for pregnant women. I have over 1000 clinical hours of experience from working at the hospital throughout college. Im not sure if I should take the MCAT again and delay applying, or go ahead and apply. I really dont care what med school I go to, as long as I get into one. What are my chances? What do you suggest I do?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you've definitely got a good shot. I guess I would ask what your breakdown was and what your state of residence is, but still, I think you'll be fine. If you've got accessible state schools you won't have to apply as broadly as if you're a CA resident or don't have state schools to apply to. I think you should submit your primary ASAP with one school and then worry about which schools to add while you're getting verified. Do you have a potential list of schools?

Sure, I am a NY resident, and applied to all the NY schools, plus Pitt (where I did my undergrad), Drexel, SLU, MSU, Tulane, Cornell (my reach school, have 1 LOR from here) VCU, EVU, Toledo, Loyola, Louisville, N.E. Ohio. Any other suggestions?
11 Bio
10 verbal
8 PS
Any advice is appreciated

You have a good chance of getting in somewhere. The only real weakness is an 8 in the PS. In all likelihood, you won't get into Pitt or Weill, but you can keep them if you wish.

Eliminate: VCU, EVMS, Toledo, Louisville and NEOUCOM as they are OOS public schools. Your MCAT scores are too low for OOS public schools.

Add: RFUMS, Jefferson, GW, MC Wisconsin and Saint Louis.

I think that you will do well. During you interviews, talk about how your research compliments your interest in medicine. Think about how you would like to weave your research interest into your career. When I interview applicants who have done lots of great research they often are dismissive of their research projects. This of course dilutes a big strength of their application and makes me question their reasons for pursuing research.
To position yourself as a potential future physician-investigator in the mind of the interviewer think forward to fellowship training (after residency) at the NIH which combines lab time and patient care. Alternatively you can look into and talk about Howard Hughes Medical Institute Training Fellowships for Medical Students.