Not taking abnormal psych as an undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Surfin22

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would not taking a course in abnormal psychology put me at a disadvantage when applying to grad school? I have however taken courses in social psych, development, and personality among others. The abnormal class would count as an elective, rather than a major requirement.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd check the programs where you wish to apply. I recall several places requiring abnormal psych as a prereq.

Not sure if you're applying the clinical psych route, but I also wonder whether anyone might ponder about your expressed interest in the clinical field without a course in abnormal psych, which is, I would think, where many (?) students receive a bit more detailed background information on psychopathology prior to entering grad school.

I think that clinical graduate programs would expect you to have taken abnormal psych, unless there is an unusual circumstance such as applying years after graduating with a different major. Any grad program wants to know that you are aware of what you are getting into, like it, are committed to it, and have appropriate background to do well. For clinical, I'd say this includes taking abnormal. Assessment would be good too. For PhD programs (especially non-clinical ones), having research experience is essential because a PhD is mostly a research degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
Abnormal wasn't required at my UG institution, so I didn't take the course, which I now regret, but at the time I had no way of knowing that it's such an important course for grad school admissions. I'm up for a research job at large university, and the job comes with free tuition for x # of classes per semester; I'm planning on definitely taking the class now as a post bacc if I get the job.

I never took abnormal in undergrad, but I did take clinical psychology, which covered quite a bit of abnormal psychology. Do you think that would be an adequate replacement?

I never took abnormal in undergrad, but I did take clinical psychology, which covered quite a bit of abnormal psychology. Do you think that would be an adequate replacement?

It could cause some roadblocks. Most of the ones I applied to, mostly Psy.D. Programs required it.

Abnormal psych is one of those courses almost every institution offers online. I don't think it'd be hard to find somewhere to take it in the winter term, even as a non-degree/visiting student.

FWIW, I didn't take abnormal psychology as an undergrad, because it wasn't required for my major (cognitive science). When I decided to apply to grad school, I emailed several of my top programs to ask if it was required, and the general consensus was yes. I took it online through a community college and no one ever asked me about it on interviews (I applied to programs with neuropsych tracks).

Reactions: 1 user
FWIW, I didn't take abnormal psychology as an undergrad, because it wasn't required for my major (cognitive science). When I decided to apply to grad school, I emailed several of my top programs to ask if it was required, and the general consensus was yes. I took it online through a community college and no one ever asked me about it on interviews (I applied to programs with neuropsych tracks).

Yeah, I would take it somehow or another, even if it is online.

I wish there was a greater emphasis on taking abnormal back when I was in UG. My UG's psych program was pretty lax in terms of specific courses. Other than research stats & methods, and a choice of cognitive/learning/physiological psychology there were very few hard-and-fast requirements. Now I'm looking at potentially shelling out close to 1k to take abnormal this spring. I would love to see a consistent pre-psych route for UG students; I think it would help serve as a way of limiting the # of applicants each year, which would help with a some of the internship/match problems that tend to come up towards the end of doctoral training.