Nova-COM Class of 2005 Meeting Room

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am in the process of buying a place in either the Las Olas area or the near the Sunrise/Federal Hwy intersection. Does anyone familiar with the area know approximately how long it will take to get to campus? I really love these areas and would prefer to live there, provided the commute wasn't over 45 minutes or so.

Members don't see this ad.

hello, everyone--
i am posting because i am looking for a roommate. i am a female, no pets, non-smoker, and i have a 2 bedroom/2bathroom apartment at palm trace landings starting july 5. if anyone is interested, please post here...
thanks

Hi...

You might not want to live in the Las Olas area, only because it would probably be a 20 min. or longer ride in to school in the morning rush hour, and most students advised me to find a place at least within a 5 to 10 min. radius of the school because meeting people to study and being crunched for time, it's just so much easier to be a hop away. They said to find a cool place during 3rd and 4th years, but ultimately, it's up to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering is any of y'all's significant others were half as thrilled about the prospect of moving to Ft. Lauderdale as mine is. He is so excited. I mean, Louisiana really sucks (well, north LA anyway). This is going to be so cool!

Hey...Not everyone's got a significant other!! Although I'm sure no one's complaining about moving to a vacation spot to live!! BTW, New Orleans rocks!!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by go blue:
hello, everyone--
i am posting because i am looking for a roommate. i am a female, no pets, non-smoker, and i have a 2 bedroom/2bathroom apartment at palm trace landings starting july 5. if anyone is interested, please post here...
thanks

Hi Go Blue -- I'm interested. Not sure if you're ok with living with a guy. I've been seriously slacking finding a place and just want to get it over with. Please e-mail me either way. I'll be down there next week.

[email protected]

--Alex

I didn't say that New Orleans sucked, I said that North Louisiana sucked. Besides, New Orleans is pretty freakin' scary. It's only cool during Mardi Gras. Other than that it's a good place to get your purse stolen.

Sorry Choirgirl. I was just making a opinion about New Orleans since I saw you were from LA. I've been there three times w/ friends and had a blast each time since the food and atmosphere are so fun, at least to me. Anyway..that's all for now.

ubigal--i actually should've been more specific in my last post. i am looking for a female roomate. sorry! good luck with finding a place to live.

GoBlue,
I'm a male that is also interested. I have been sharing an apartment the past year with a female and it has worked out great. The only reason I plan on moving is that our apartment is in Deerfield and too far to drive everyday to NSU-COM. I am 34, clean, non-smoking and with no pets and am very easy going but serious about medschool. My present roomate said she would be a reference if you want. Let me know either way as I am also looking for other options. My email is [email protected].
Good Luck

Sorry Goblue. Didn't see your other post till I uploaded mine. Good luck.

Hello future classmates...
What exactly will be going on July 30th? I know we are getting detailed information packets in mid-May, but I like to plan ahead, ya know? Does anyone know what the details are of the orientation? How many days is it, and what is the exact day classes start? I couldn't find anything on their site, and I only have an older 2000-2001 catalogue.

Thanks

Hi Kate,

I think that week of July 30 - Aug 3 is suppose to be an orientation week for us. I wish the info. packets would arrive soon since I would like to plan my summer. Best of luck and see you in the fall! AJC

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info AJC! Do you are anyone know if we are able to download class notes onto our labtops in the lecture rooms? I had heard that, but wasn't sure if it was a rumor. I know they are building a new library that is supposed to be top notch, I hope it will be done in time to be use to our class.

Hi Kate, That is the first time I heard about downloading notes to a labtop. I did sit in one time this past february in the physiology class and they had a series of handouts given to them. All they had to do was takes notes directly on the handouts. I am sure every teacher is different and might have notes of the web. The only notes I have seen online were at the Behavioral depart site at: Behavioral Medicine Department
scroll all the way to the bottom and you will see the Substance Abuse and Human sexulaity course online. Have fun surfing!
biggrin.gif
AJC

Hi,

I'm currently an M2 going into the M3 year at NSUCOM. If you have any questions I'll give you a brief response when I have time. My e-mail is [email protected] Congrats and best of luck. :)

does anyone know how this year's class matched? just curious.

hey guys, is anybody here from chicago??

hi, goku--
i am from chi-town. do you live here?
[/LIST]

Hey all you native Ft. Lauderdale people!
I am thinking about renting an apartment in pembroke pines. The realtor said it was very close, but not being able to go check it out myself, I just wanted a second opinion. I don't want to live more than 10 minutes away because of traffic.

Hi...I think p. pines may be like 15-20 min. away, but you can call fern in admissions and ask her. Also, you may want to be pretty close so it's not a hassle meeting up w/ everyone for studying and stuff like that.

Originally posted by Choirgrl05:
•Hey all you native Ft. Lauderdale people!
I am thinking about renting an apartment in pembroke pines. The realtor said it was very close, but not being able to go check it out myself, I just wanted a second opinion. I don't want to live more than 10 minutes away because of traffic.•

I am one of those native Ft. lauderdale people :) It is about 5-10 min from Nova depending on how far you live in Pembroke Pines.

Will classes be held 8 - 5? I am not too concerned about the attendance policy, but it would be easier to make a 9 to 5 or 6 pm schedule everyday (that extra hour of sleep always helps if you're up late studying, or just a late person in general). Does anyone know of the exact times classes are held? I've heard that some professors aren't strict on the attendance policy, while others are.

I went on my interview April 4. The girl that toured the campus with us told us that they may become strict with the attendence policy because several student in her class have been missing class and the administration is upset(RUN-ON). I do not think they are to strict with the dress code but most of us will be in scrubs!!!

--go blue

yeah ive lived in chicago almost all my life. (love the city, hate the winters)i graduated from uic last may but im in the suburbs right now, near Downers Grove. Can't wait to move to FLORIDA!!!!!!! where do you live??

hi guys, i'll be attending nova in august too. are any of you from the philadelphia area?

goku--
i have lived in the city for the past year. i definitely love it, but i absolutely cannot stand the weather!! so i am pretty excited for the sun in florida.

Has anyone received the packet from NOVA in the mail? Admisssions said we all should be getting packets sometime in MAY.

j
I was down there last week and Marla Frohlinger(sp?) told me that she was in the process of putting them together. So hopefully this means that we will get them soon.

Zach

Thanks Zach. Enjoy the rest of our free summer!!

How MANY PEOPLE HERE THAT ARE GOING TO NSUCOM ARE SCUBA DIVERS OR WANT TO LEARN???

WE SHOULD START A SCUBA CLUB AT NOVA IF THERE ISN'T ONE ALREADY...!!!!

Hi j8463dp: For a long time now I wanted to learn how to scuba so count me in. AJC :D

Count me in also!!! I've been snorkeling a few times, but never scuba diving-always wanted to.

yeah, i went snorkeling in cancun for the first time a few weeks ago and it was amazing!! the jellyfish scared the crap out of me though...

J8463dp,
Not only do I scuba dive and have all the gear but I also have access to a 21 foot Mako. Plan on doing Bimini next month. Hope we have time between exams etc. Remember, bug season starts August. Nothing better than freash Florida spiny lobster tails. See you all in July.

I also first went snorkeling in Cancun-quite beautiful. The baracudas scared the crap out of me. They got a bit closer than the jellyfish. I've heard the Keys are even more beautiful, no personal experience.
Does anyone know how involved the "white coat" ceremony is? Is it an event that families from out of state would fly in for, or is it something followed by simple festivities such going to clubs/restaurants/bars in the Las Olas-Riverwalk area?

Cool dojo:

I have everything except a tank. And I will never buy one unless I lived on some Island right on a reef...Enjoy the summer. see you the end of july

j

GOOD NEWS!!
I spoke with the admissions office today and they said they would be mailing out the orientation packets this week.
Have a great summer everyone!

HI pecan7576, I spoke with Fern today also and she told me the same thing. I am really excited to hear what they have planned for us. I wish you all a good summer and see you in July! AJC :D

Just recieved the packet today. I live near Nova so all you out of staters should get yours by Monday. Orientation week is M-F (July 30th - Aug 3rd) and Sunday (Aug 5th) with classes starting the Monday (Aug 6th) following. There are social gatherings scheduled for the afternoon/nights of Tue-Wed-Thu. Saturday is a day off to recover from hangovers for those of you that subscribe. The white coat ceremony is at the Broward Center for the Performing Arts. It is a very nice place, Saw Phantom of the Opera there last year. Should be a wonderful event. I hope everyone is as excited as I am. See ya July 30th and good luck!

I can still remember going through all that 2 years ago...I still remember how apprehensive and nervous I was...however, that all disappeared or lessened a bit when I got to meet a few people and realized that they felt the exact same way...now I'm worrying about the COMLEX and starting rotations...what can I say, it seems that medicine is one right of passage after the other...I'd just like to say I hope every incoming MS1 has a great first year...take care everyone

I recieved my packet in the mail today also and I live in miami. Have a good weekend everyone! AJC :D

What up all!!! Where's everyone living this fall? I know one other person has stated for Palm Trace Landings, and I will be there too...just want to know who else is going where?

I live in the immediate NSU area and also got my info packet yesterday! Lots of good stuff to read.

Will you guys be purchasing your scrubs from the organization that is selling them, or will you get them somewhere else cheaper? Will you wait until the orientation week to buy 'em or get them over the summer. Also - will M2's, M3's etc. be selling their dissecting kits used or is it better to buy them new from that organization?

See you all soon! :D

Where is my packet? I live in Pompano and have not received mine :(
I am going to call and check the address they have.

pecan,

If you recently graduated, they probably did the same thing to you that they did to me and sent it to your college address. Lucky for me, my roomates are still up there. Definately give them a call.

Hi you guys,
I'm going to be living in the Laurels of Jackaranda (sp) next year! I'm so excited about starting school, but another part of me is sooooooo terrified!!!
In order to prepare for next year's studying, I'm doing lots of nothing (except moving) the whole summer.

Hi guys, In your orrientation packet did you recieve a form to apply for an NSU Badge? I noticed on the checklist that we are suppose to bring it with us the first day of orrientaion along with the Parking Permit. I could not find that form anywhere in the packet. Let me know. Thank You!! AJC :D

LBC and others,
If anyone finds the lab coat and disection kit cheaper they should post it. If not, I say go with the flow. Purchase the stuff from the resources provided.

Do our scrubs have to be a specific color? :cool:

Originally posted by pecan7576:
•Do our scrubs have to be a specific color? :cool:

I spoke with a medical student that told me it does not matter what color you get your scrubs. I got mine from the hospital I use to work at to save me some $$$. AJC :D