Nova-COM Class of 2005 Meeting Room

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DOby2,
I am checking out a couple of places this Wednesday while I'm down there, but it can't hurt to check on another. I am male/34yr and starting the osteo program this year. Email me at [email protected] if you're still looking.

Members don't see this ad.

Pecan,
thanx

oh...and I hope you all have LOTS of fun without me. I'm not moving down until like July 26th.

Hi Kate,

Como estas? (Wazzz Up) I am back to work today, but just wanted to say I had a great time at the keys this weekend. Sun, snorkling, fishing.

As far as "pre-orientation" mixer, count me in. I plan on moving into my apartment the 3rd week of July. Keep me in the loop.

AJC :D

Members don't see this ad :)
•Acaban,
Just came from the keys myself
:cool: I know you will have a great time. Do not forget to go watch the sunset on Taylor Beach it is a beautiful site!•

Hey pecan7576:
I ended up going with my girlfriend to the tiki bar and we drove down to taylor beach. What a great place it was! Thanks for the advice. I cant wait to go again. What I really need to do is learn how to scuba dive!!! He He He Have a good week. AJC :D

I just spoke with the woman at admissions for NOVA in regards to Lab coats and scrubs. She told me that the deadline of June 30 to order coats was incorrect. She told me it should be July 30 and I could take care of everything at orientation. Has anyone else been told the same thing?

Hi Folks-

I was wondering what everybody is doing for health insurance. Are you going with the school's plan, or has anyone found something that is a better deal. A friend of mine who is an M-2 says that the school's plan doesn't cover you if you are hurt playing intermural sports, for example. Anyway, just thought I'd ask.

And oh, by the way, I'll be getting to FL in mid July, so I'd be in for any pre-orientation Rage-Ex, Um, I mean, "social mixer" <wink>

Cheers,
-Fred

[email protected]
[email protected]

:D

Hi everyone. I've got a quick question for you: Is NOVA a pass/fail curriculum or grade based? I've got another thread re: this issue that hasn't been responded too yet.

Thanks for your answer.

Hi Matt,

Funny you ask this today, because I called today to ask about this. We actually use both systems. They use the Fail/Pass/Honors for the clinical rotations while the basics sciences are given number and letter grades. So I guess it would be a hybrid. Hope this helps some. AJC :D

Acaban-
The first weekend of July is perfect! Bring your girlfriend as well as anyone else from the 2005 class! Mango's or that Irish Pub on Las Olas sounds cool to me, but I'm easy to please-just add good food/drinks and I'm there.

Stickboy-
Mid-July sounds good to me! Of course, I'll be down earlier, therefore I'll be going out before then. Anyone wanting to get together, I'll my new hubby and I will join you! I'll need a break from all the work I'll be doing on the place we bought (oh, and from all the study preparations I'll be doing for August ;) ).

Hi Kate...

Are you down here yet? I just drove down from Detroit this week and am wiped from the move!! Anyway, I'll be here until the end of the month and then I'm traveling to S. America for a bit, so while I can't meet up with anyone in July, I can in the next two weeks. Give me a shout out Kate (or anyone else down here) and email me through my post to tell me if that's cool. Ciao.

Hi alperaar:

Welcome to South Florida! Hopefully you will get use to the heat and humidity. This week has been exceptionally hot and humid. I actually live in miami and wont be moving up until mid july. It take me 45minuted to get to school from home, (really 25min with the rate I drive - hope none of you were police officers previously) so if you want to get this pre-orientation get together rolling let me know.

Kate - Are you down here already or not until the end of the month? Send me an e-mail [email protected]

Have a good weekend all! AJC :D

Does anyone know what "events" they have planned for us during orientation week. What is entailed in these evening "mixers"?

Acaban
I'll be down the 28th! I'm still up in Tampa still then. I will be up for going for some drinks after a day of unpacking. I can't wait to visit Miami when I'm down there! I think it is a beautiful city. :cool: Will you miss it?

Alperaar
You're going to S. America? Unbelievably cool! Have you ever heard of the magazine "Wallpaper?" It is an international magazine with info on architecture, sights, food, shopping, etc. It is written by a "younger" set, different writters from all over the world. They do a lot of comparisons between countries as well, such as the newest high-tech stuff. Each month they have a section which focuses on one city. They have done quite a few in S. America, from Montevideo to Rio. They have a laminated pullout with a map of the city and some "must do or see." They also list all the great restaurants, hotels, etc. The info is much different than any of the travel books I've read, it is written from a different perspective, a younger perspective.
I will be officially moving there on the 28th. I'm up for that weekend!
Hope you have fun where ever you are going to S. America! :cool: :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
This message is for everyone: there was a post a while back about ordering the white coats and the deadline, which said that June 30th was incorrect and it was really July 30. I called the uniform place yesterday and was told that it was JUNE 30th. Just thought I would post this info in case there was still a question since that date is rapidly approaching. Take care and I will see you all soon,

Zach

Originally posted by dojo:
•DOby2,
I am checking out a couple of places this Wednesday while I'm down there, but it can't hurt to check on another. I am male/34yr and starting the osteo program this year. Email me at [email protected] if you're still looking.•

Hey Dojo-

I thought *I* was going to be the only crazy non-trad this year (I'm 32). :)

See ya this summer, dude.

Cheers,
-Fred

Hello all and it's nice to see the pleasant demeanor everyone is displaying. It looks like we have a good bunch here. I was just wondering, mainly for the people already in the area around Nova, but is there a company that offers high speed internet service? I have checked out all the dsl and cable modem companies that I know of and none offer service in that area.

Also I will be moving down to Poinciana at about the 21st of July and have that week before school to hang out so if anyone wants to get something going, I am definitely up for it. I would really love to get to the beach and play some volleyball so let me know if any of you are interested. You can reach me at [email protected] . I have never lived within 500 miles of the beach and so I plan on using it, I don't care how hot it is in July. I hope to see everyone in about a month,

Brent

Hi Guys,

I found out today that our final incoming class number is 234. This is suppose to be one of the all time biggest classes!

Hope you guys are having a good week! AJC :D

234!

Holy Cow...that seems HUGE! I thought the usually, classes are only around 140 or so. Even PCOM "only" has 250.

-Fred

Hey Fred,

I am also a non traditional - I am 25 and have been working and traveling the passed 3 years. I am also going to be starting NSU-COM this year and am bored at work right now.-Dan

sorry - i mean past 3 years not passed

Wow! 234. I was expecting around 180 students. Does anyone know what the student to cadaver ratio is?

I have not posted in a while because I lost my password and the system logged me out.

Just got back from NEW ORLEANS!!! What a blast :D

Has anyone heard about the insurance from SOMA?

Acaban,
Are you sure about that number? It seems extraordinary large!

:eek:

Hey KateW and any other interested parties for this thur. the 28th...

When you wrote about coming here to move on the 28th...did you mean you'd be able to go out this thur.? If so, I'm up for that, but only that night!! If not, I'll meet everyone when I get back from S. America...cheers!!

Pecan 7576-

What insurance are you talking about?

Cheers,
-Fred

Hi pecan7576:

Welcome Back! I was wondering what you were up to sine you are always an avid poster. I heard the final count number of 234 from a 4th year medical student who is close to the admissions office. Apparently NSU is trying to compete with big schools like NYIT that take 240/year. The 234 number also takes into account approximately 15-20 MBS (Masters of Biomedical Science students) that were accepted into the COM division.

Hope this helps some! AJC :D

Originally posted by acaban:
•Hi pecan7576:

Welcome Back! I was wondering what you were up to since you are always an avid poster. I heard the final count number of 234 from a 4th year medical student who is close to the admissions office. Apparently NSU is trying to compete with other schools like NYIT that take 240/year. The 234 number also takes into account approximately 15-20 MBS (Masters of Biomedical Science students) that were accepted into the COM division.

Hope this helps some! AJC :D

greetings fellow classmates!!
a couple quick questions:

1. did anyone else receive a certified letter from the dean asking for volunteers to defer their admission till next year?

2. for those of you who are south florida residents, would u recommend buying a car alarm if you're new to the area?

look forward to seeing you all july 30 or maybe even sooner!

Originally posted by Stickboy:
•Pecan 7576-

What insurance are you talking about?

Cheers,
-Fred•

The medical insurance we need for school.

acaban,
They may also be trying to weed out some students. This only makes our courses harder. If in previous years they were giving half credit for an answer, now we will get the entire answer wrong. That suck, if it is the case. I heard from a second year student that they were doing something like that in Anatomy lab. exp. If you got the cell type right but the organ wrong then the entire answer would be wrong.
:(

Hey everyone,
Sorry I can not hang out with you guys in July but I will be in PARIS!!!! :D

I am living it up before school start because once school starts recess will be over.

Originally posted by boston DO:
•greetings fellow classmates!!
a couple quick questions:

1. did anyone else receive a certified letter from the dean asking for volunteers to defer their admission till next year?

2. for those of you who are south florida residents, would u recommend buying a car alarm if you're new to the area?

look forward to seeing you all july 30 or maybe even sooner!•

I did not receive a letter and do not want one of those letters.
As far as the car alarm if you have the money get on. Car theif is a targeted thing here. They people that steal your car usually know you schedule. Some are professional and know how to bypass the kill switch. If they do steal you car, when and if you get it back, it will be stripped. If you buy an alarm buy a good one for the investment.

In my opinion, NOVA did not accept 234 people in order to weed some out. That would be counterproductive and is not what is done at the schools like KCOM that regularly accept this many. So I think it is paranoia to believe their goal is to weed people out. That's a lot of lost revenue for NOVA-COM. They would be happy to graduate all the accepted people after four years of work and tuition. So please, lets not get paranoid and negative about our class size. It is a positive thing for our school. As far as worrying about students per cadaver, NOVA can easily purchase more cadavers. There's plenty.
As far as the certified letter from the dean, I have not recieved one and sure as heck don't want to see one in my mailbox. I have worked too hard for too long to wait another year!

All say: AMEN! :)

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

DOby,
I did not say that was they case and am not paranoid!!! However you must know some negative comes with most situation. I sure whom ever they have accepted will graduate, we have all worked very hard to get into medical school.

~Pecan

Is it protocol to send out letters that solicit deferring? I've never heard of that before. I was under the impression that schools grant deferrings as favors to student for special circumstances. Regardless, I am glad I did not receive one. I guess the question is...why did Boston DO? There must be something special about your case that elicited such a weird letter. Now watch me go to my mailbox and find one.
Also, its just a request, right...can you turn it down if you want?

alfonsito,

the deferral was voluntary. i tore mine up after i read it. i plan on joining the rest of my class on july 30. i don't really know why i was sent it. i think they just sent it out to a random group of accepted people to see if they can cut the class size down if it in fact is 234. but i can't really say why.

later

I know this is a big class, but is it really so unusual? And even if it is, so what. I think that it is hard for us, after a year (or more) of trying to beat the competion, to turn off that competitive attitude. I know that it's somewhat typical of allopathic schools to compete withing their class, but I've always heard differently of osteopathic schools. Just think, with 234 students, there'll be that many more people to get together in study groups with!
-grl

Did anyone read through all the stuff we received on the clubs? I heard some clubs are not worth joining, but SOMA and the surgical club are two we should join. The surgical club give free anatomy reviews and SOMA give previous test to sudy from. It look like we need to bring some money to join some of these club during orientation.

I spoke with Fern today(the candy lady) and she said the class size is over two hundred but she does not know the exact amount.

I also spoke with FA and they are working on our rewards and should be done in about 10 days. Once the bursars office recieves the reward and our registration the refund checks will be mailed or directly deposited.

Spoke with one of the M2's about the budding system they were suppose to start. He thinks they did not get enough M2's to participate. So they may not be doing it or it will take longer then expected. He also told me his class did not follow the dress code and attendance policy and it pissed administration off. So, like I posted before our classs may be under careful watch, about the dress/attendance. He also said we can wear sneakers with the scrubs. His class stop wearing the scrub top and was just wearing a tee shirt. That was just one example of their numerous dress code violations.

I e-mail SOMA headquarters about the health insurance and they had no clue what I was talking about. So I don't think they offer insurance. However, I heard the Chickering insurance the school offers is good. And free(NO COPAY) if using the Nova medical center. The entire premium is due before coverage and school begins.

If I find out anymore info I'll post it.

boston DO,

I just received one of those deferment letters. I threw mine away as well. I alreadly put a deposit on an apartment for God sakes.

Hi pecan:

I have heard various stories from different medical students about what organizations to join. I think we are going to have to figure out which one's would be best at orientation because each one seems to offer different test packets and exam reviews, it's tuff deciding which one's to join. Im up for signing for all the clubs that dont ask for dinero ($$$). he he he

About the class size, I heard that number from a medical student that is close to someone in admissions. I would venture to say that 234 is close to the final count.

About finanical aid, I wanted to ask you about loans. Did you take out loans, if so did you recieve you award letter yet. Becuase I received mine some time ago, and I spoke with FA at that same time. As far as I have it understood, the loan (at least mine) is not disbursed until 8/1/01. So I am confussed about what you mean about rewards and 10 days. Also, what is this about them mailing out returns, I have understood that we will end up having to go to bursar's office to pick the remainder of the loan once teh university has removed tution from it?

It sucks to hear that bad news on the M2 budding system. I was actually hoping that would pan, since it would probably a great help to us.

Goodnight! AJC

i hear'ya jazzman! i've already secured a place to live and i've taken enough time off from school. i can safely say i'm ready to start school.

by the way, has anyone had any problems with financial aid? they keep losing forms that i send them which has delayed the reviewing of my file. it's been really frustrating dealing with these people because everyone i talk to doesn't really have a clue what's going on. just wondered if anybody else out has any horror stories????

Hey Boston,

I understand your frustration. A couple of medical students told me that administration is notorious (sp?) about losing paper work. That is why I just hand deliever it personally to the office. I am about 45 minutes from nova. I know you are farther, but have you tried to certify your stuff in the mail. At least that way you know someone signed to recieve your letter.

Also, when I first started working with finanical aid after I got accepted, I learned that the HPD has thier own division of FA, versus Nova's other schools that have a general finanical aid. One time I was speaking to someone from the general finanical aid office and they could not answer any of my questions. I realized that they did not know anything about our FA and asked to be transferred to the HPD finanical aid office. I think you are familar with their offices which are adjacent to the admissions office. I think they have 4 FA counselors that deal strickly with FA for Osteo. students, Pharm, Occ therapy, etc.

All I can say is "use certified mail!" It's hard to say you have not recieved something when you have a signed postcard saying you did.

Hope this helps some and good luck!

acaban,
When I called FA to check the status of my award they said they were working on the M1 osteopathic class now and should be finished in 10 days. I applied for loan and the chancellor scholarship. The refund money would be mailed or directly deposited. I am going to Nova today so I will get some clarity. I have to get them to sign an in school deferment for my undergraduate loans.

Clubs; I spoke with an M2 who said he spent $300 in joining clubs during orientation week. I do not know about the rest of you but I do not want to spend that much money in clubs. He stated that some of the clubs were not worth it. I think some M2 will be around during orientation week to guide us about clubs??? They start class July 5th

our original class size was 140...the beginning of next year it jumped to 180 and by the end of second year it topped out at close to 200...I hate to think what your class size will eventually become

I recieved one of the deferment letter today. They just accepted to many students.

kundun,

When your class grew...were the people transfers from other osteopath/allopath schools or were they students admitted with advanced standing from other professional schools/masters programs?
By the way, I also received a deferment offer letter today.

The people in financial aid are rude. Has anybody else noticed? I've never taken out loans before, so I had a lot of questions. The lady who I spoke with was very abrupt and didn't explain anything clearly to me. When I asked her to elaborate, she asked very curtly, "what am I not making clear?" I was offended. Then, the next time I called, I got a completely different person with a completely different story to tell me. I think I get it now, but my loan hasn't gone through yet. But some of you have gotten your award letters already, right? I guess it is on a first come first serve basis, since I was accepted pretty late. Anyway, I hate FA.

alfonsito,

i know how you feel. i've had regular contact with these people for last couple of months and it has been nothing but frustrating. for instance, i faxed them my income verification form a while back. then i called the next day to see if they got it and the women told me it takes 48 hours to scan into the system. i called the next day then and the rep told me it takes 72 hours to scan it. so i called the next day and poof! it was lost. it's a headache that i really don't need and i'm worried that these delays will cause me to lose some money that i am entitled to. hopefully everything will be resolved soon...

What did the deferment letter say? Did it give you a choice? also did it mention about the class size?

see everyone next month

J

DOby,

alot did come from the masters program...where the rest of them came from...I haven't a clue...the class was big enough when we had 140 people

Hi j8463dp:

I would write it word for word, but it basically stated that the administration to did not count on some many matriculations for next year. They asked on a "voluntary basis" if you would consider deffering your admission for the class of 2006. The deposit you gave now, would serve as your place holder for the following year.

I think they waisted too much money on sending certified letters to all the students. They should of spent that money on buying our clinical instruments (Stethoscope, Otoscope, Ophthalmoscope
Innovative optics, Blood Preasure Cuff, Etc) we need to buy next month. <--- Hear ye Hear ye!

Have a good week ya'll!!

For those of you who think our class size is too big...may I ask why? Many of you keep saying that "I thought is was going to be 140, or 180" etc, etc. Maybe I'm missing something, but this seems to have upset some of you. I don't think that any of our educations will suffer because of our larger-than-expected class, but if some of you think so or know so, please tell me. I must admit that I was also under the impression that our class was 180, and my admissions letter even told me so. I was suprised when I saw that it was gonna be 230+, but it didn't upset me. I was just wondering if and why our class size should bother me.