NOVA Secondary IS CRAZY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OnMyWayThere

OMS-III
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not only is it really long, but the real problem is: They want to know all of the osteopathic schools I'm applying to. I think it looks really bad if put down all friggun programs. WHY DO THEY CARE WHERE ELSE I'M APPLYING??? I know the answer but this sucks!

Members don't see this ad.

OnMyWayThere said:
Not only is it really long, but the real problem is: They want to know all of the osteopathic schools I'm applying to. I think it looks really bad if put down all friggun programs. WHY DO THEY CARE WHERE ELSE I'M APPLYING??? I know the answer but this sucks!
I'm not too sure either. I know COMP asks you on their secondary to list all the osteopathic and allopathic schools you applied to. I ended up just listing a few since there wasn't enough space. Maybe you can do the same if they didn't give you that much room.

I am actually not sure what the reason for it is but I know that one of my classmates applied to both allopathic and osteopathic schools and had to add an extra sheet of paper to list all of the schools he applied to; he didnt have a problem getting in. I dont see why it would be a problem as long as you can answer the question, "Why Osteopathic Medicine?" when it is asked. If it says to list all of the schools, then I would do it if I were you. Last thing you want is to be rejected b/c you didnt answer a question completely and honestly. Good luck.

NSUCOM Class of 2007

Members don't see this ad :)
nsu wasnt long imo, they just ask you the basics. why osteo, why nsu or something along those lines.

as for listing the schools, they want both allo and osteo. be honest. most ppl apply to both. find a reason y u think nsu would be a great place for you and tell them that when they ask "why nsu?"

GL

What makes it so CRAZY if there are just standard essays on there?

I applied to almost all the D.O. schools and a huge number of M.D. schools too. They actually brought it up during the interview and I just told them that my first priority is to practice medicine and applying to that many schools seemed to be in my best interest of achieving that goal. If I'm acccepted to more than one program then I'll really think harder about which one I wanted to be at... blah blah blah. It didn't seem to bother them at all.

Dave
NSUCOM 2008

I just wrote my schools I applied to on a seperate piece of paper.

I was never asked about them in my interview but I was asked why nsucom.

That was about it. I didn't think it was a tough secondary at all.

Now.....the one I had to do 5 seperate essays for...that one blew chunks.

I'm interviewing at NSU on 8/16, anybody got info on things like first time board scores and pass rate. Interview format, etc.?

Not sure about the pass rates... they're decent I'm sure. There is only one interview (unlike Kirksville which as two, one on one, interviews) and there is a panel of interviewers asking you questions. I think the time the set aside for each interview is about 30-45 mins but no one in my group last year took that long. My interview lasted about 10minutes. You should check out the "medical school interview feedback" on SDN for possible questions.... here's the link:

http://www.studentdoctor.net/interview/interview_read.asp

Doc 2b said:
I'm interviewing at NSU on 8/16, anybody got info on things like first time board scores and pass rate. Interview format, etc.?

Early decision? That was quick!

OnMyWayThere said:

Unless you are applying EDP, the schools know that you are applying to other schools. I really don't think it matters to them which ones or how many. In fact I am surprised they even ask you to write them down. I was asked during my interview at VCOM which other schools I applied to. I simply told him as he wrote them down and we moved on. I didn't care if he knew.

Really, don't worry about it. They know applicants apply to other places. If someone asks, just tell them and leave it at that. Don't sound like you are apologizing or feeling guilty when you answer.

Doc 2b said:

Please tell me you're EDP or something. Otherwise, I'm going to be REALLY behind.

How are you guys filling out the application. the pages are all connected and the paper is thick, so I do not see how I can feed it through my typewriter. How are my fellow Nova applicants handling this issue?

Members don't see this ad :)
medic170 said:
How are you guys filling out the application. the pages are all connected and the paper is thick, so I do not see how I can feed it through my typewriter. How are my fellow Nova applicants handling this issue?

Last year I did most of it by hand with a pen.

I also typed up my schools I applied to in microsoft word and printed it out.

I wrote everything by hand with "as neat as I can be" handwriting. I don't see why it matters if you type it, they care about what you say and as long as it's legible, I don't think it's a big deal. If you have horrible handwriting, you can always ask a friend to write it out for you. :) Goodluck with it!

Just fill it out by hand. If your handwriting sucks, get your mom or friend or someone with decent handwriting to fill it out for you.

JKDMed said:
Please tell me you're EDP or something. Otherwise, I'm going to be REALLY behind.

Nope not EDP, just applied the day AACOMA opened up. I thought it was pretty early too, I guess thats a good thing, good luck!

Doc 2b said:

so you've turned in your secondaries already? or is this like comp's preemptive interview offer?

Doc2b--hey, i'm going to be one of the students taking you on the school/campus tour on the 16th! The interview is a small panel (3 or 4 faculty/admin) but they aren't too scary. Just go in with confidence, answer the questions honestly, and don't be afraid to pause before answering a question. NSU interviews those that they are truly interested in. If they didn't already have an interest in you, you wouldn't have gotten an interview.

If you have any other question, feel free to PM me.

Oh, and to address the secondary application....they are totally revising it and cutting out some of the essays i believe. I don't know when the changes go into affect, though. NSU takes any and all suggestions VERY seriously. They even changed the format of interview day, so there is less down time and waiting around.

Freakingzooming said:
so you've turned in your secondaries already? or is this like comp's preemptive interview offer?

Sent my secondary in the day I got it, as far as I know it's not like COMP where they interview everyone they send a secondary too

It looks like they have it as an elective clinical rotation. Maybe it is part of the O P and P series? You are right, that seems a little odd for an Osteopathic school.

OPP is the same as OMM/OMT. We have a OPP lecture and lab course every semester of year one and year two. The lecture is generally only one hour per week with the lab being two hours per week. Then, we have written exams for our lecture OPP course and practical exams for our lab OPP course - the lecture and lab are run such that the same topics are covered during the same week.

There is also a one year OPP (OMM/OMT whatever) fellowship that you can do between your second and third year. If you do the fellowship, you get your tuition paid for your third and fourth year. Our OPP department is pretty awesome, in my opinion.