Nova secondary??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Marianne11

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an email & link to their secondary application. No essay? On one page it said to list colleges & courses in progress etc, but the app didn't ask for any of this. Did I miss something? I'm a little confused, do all applicants get this email? Do I send my LOR as well? After they get my sec app & LORs, then they decide about an interview right? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

No one here filled out the short online secondary?? Come on guys, help me out...

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't remember there being an essay. I filled out their on line secondary and submitted it along with my LORs (sent separately of course). Shortly there after I got an invite for an interview. Hope this helps!

I just got an email & link to their secondary application. No essay? On one page it said to list colleges & courses in progress etc, but the app didn't ask for any of this. Did I miss something? I'm a little confused, do all applicants get this email? Do I send my LOR as well? After they get my sec app & LORs, then they decide about an interview right? Thanks!

What app?

Honestly, I don't remember if there was an essay. I think there may have been something about update since you submitted your primary, and I filled that in because I had a change in employment. But I don't think there secondary was too bad.

Thanks! The app = secondary application online.

Are you going through NU Webstar to do your application? If not, you're going through the wrong place. I think they ask you to print out the instructions before filling out the application.

I am a first year student at NSU. I picked NSU over WVSOM and PCOM. The biggest mistake I have made! Be warnded NSU faculty plays games.

Example: We have a some of bad apples in our class. Why are they bad apples? According to Faculty they (students) do not turn up for anatomy class or lab. So the faculty to teach the "bad apples" a lesson place the tags (strings!!!) during lab exam on the cadavers in such a way that it is very hard to identify which body part they want us to identify. They also flip the cadaver over and pull the string out. For heaven's sake where was the string attached???? It is not visible. By doing this they screw the grades of not only the "bad apples" but all of us "good apples". The recent anatomy theory exam was so hard that the average was 65%. Why? To teach the "bad apples" a lesson. But what about the rest of the class?? NSU is so stuck on attendence policy; to the point of being blind. The faculty is trying to get its point accross to us student by their unfair methods at exams. Is it right to confuse and bash the students down? Are the teachers not responsible for the well being of all their students? Or should they to punish a few break the sprit of the whole class? What about hurting our GPA? Our chance at residencies? I question NSU faculty...why are they hurting their own? And I warn all you future student doctors who want to go to NSU....BEWARE of NSU faculty...revenge is their motto! Check what I say out with the class of 2010 befor you join NSU. Good luck.
babloo

Do you plan to transfer then? That's quite a bit of animosity.

I am a first year student at NSU. I picked NSU over WVSOM and PCOM. The biggest mistake I have made! Be warnded NSU faculty plays games.

Example: We have a some of bad apples in our class. Why are they bad apples? According to Faculty they (students) do not turn up for anatomy class or lab. So the faculty to teach the "bad apples" a lesson place the tags (strings!!!) during lab exam on the cadavers in such a way that it is very hard to identify which body part they want us to identify. They also flip the cadaver over and pull the string out. For heaven's sake where was the string attached???? It is not visible. By doing this they screw the grades of not only the "bad apples" but all of us "good apples". The recent anatomy theory exam was so hard that the average was 65%. Why? To teach the "bad apples" a lesson. But what about the rest of the class?? NSU is so stuck on attendence policy; to the point of being blind. The faculty is trying to get its point accross to us student by their unfair methods at exams. Is it right to confuse and bash the students down? Are the teachers not responsible for the well being of all their students? Or should they to punish a few break the sprit of the whole class? What about hurting our GPA? Our chance at residencies? I question NSU faculty...why are they hurting their own? And I warn all you future student doctors who want to go to NSU....BEWARE of NSU faculty...revenge is their motto! Check what I say out with the class of 2010 befor you join NSU. Good luck.
babloo

babloo

This is the 3rd thread I have had to track down bc of the same negative view that this person has placed (all in ONE night). Everyone, please take note that I have been saying good things about NSU for two years...and this guy has been saying bad things for ONE night. M1 year is a rough transition for everyone, everyone is used to gettting straight As and it is difficult to adjust to being an "average" student.

First, let me point out that this person is complaining about the Anatomy test. I just spoke to a very knowledgable administrator of the school, and after appeals went through, the test average was an 87 (the class of 2010 doesn't even know this yet--so when babloo will disagree, but the info I have is accurate). The specific Anatomy test that they just took is historically known as the most difficult anatomy test. The professors are challenging, but we are going to be physicians in a few short years. It is VERY important for us to know and understand the anatomy of the human body, we are going to be DOCTORS. I would hope that any physican (or resident, or student doctor) who is operating on me (or assisting) will understand the anatomy regardless of what the position my body is laying in.

Regardless of what this person says, NSU is a GREAT school in a great location.
I know that I get stressed out with things from time to time, but I know I'm getting a good education, and am going to come out of this school as a great clinician.

I too wondered how good my education was last year. Then, this summer I was surrounded by medical students from MD and DO schools acrossed the nation. I not only knew as much as most of these other students, but I knew more than most. The other people from NSU felt the exact same way as I did.

We also have a board passage rate that is several percent higher than the national average.

The faculty is not unfair here, please see some of my other recent posts (as I don't want to repeat myself).

If anyone has ANY questions, please PM me.

babloo said:
So the faculty to teach the "bad apples" a lesson place the tags (strings!!!) during lab exam on the cadavers in such a way that it is very hard to identify which body part they want us to identify. They also flip the cadaver over and pull the string out. For heaven's sake where was the string attached???? It is not visible.

I just spoke to a very knowledgable administrator of the school, and after appeals went through, the test average was an 87 (the class of 2010 doesn't even know this yet--so when babloo will disagree, but the info I have is accurate). The specific Anatomy test that they just took is historically known as the most difficult anatomy test. The professors are challenging, but we are going to be physicians in a few short years. It is VERY important for us to know and understand the anatomy of the human body, we are going to be DOCTORS. I would hope that any physican (or resident, or student doctor) who is operating on me (or assisting) will understand the anatomy regardless of what the position my body is laying in.

Kai, It's obvious that you are really happy at NSU and with your education, but I have a couple of problems with your defense of the school/faculty.

1. You do not address whether Babloo's statements regarding the trickery and hidden tagging on this particular anatomy exam is true. As you mentioned, of course, I would hope that any physician who is operating on me will understand anatomy. But I do not think that understanding anatomy entails trickery and hide-and-go seek with the tags. If what Babloo is saying is true, I personally think that kind of trickery and games on the anatomy exam actually detracts from a student's ability to learn and absorb the information because they must be paranoid and on-guard with their teachers methods. But if you happen to know from inside information that what Babloo is saying is not true, please say so because that would change things.

2. Instead of addressing the veracity of Babloo's accusations, you defend the NSU faculty by pointing out the elevated class average AFTER appeals. As a person who interviewed and is really considering NSU, I would like some reassurance beyond the fact that the tests are in fact poorly written (tagged) and but then after you fight the fight, you will get your grade readjusted. I would assume that the faculty members having been doing this long enough that they should know a little better how to write/tag for anatomy exam. I mean, for the class average to go from a 65% to 87% because the students basically rioted and went through formal appeal process is certainly not reassuring. As you mentioned, first year is hard enough without being forced to fight for fair grading and testing.

I really liked the school, but Babloo's posts did make think twice. I appreciate that you are trying to get an another view - a positive one -of your education at NSU. I also appreciate the fact that people who happy with their school do not come back to SDN to write about it...it is often when people have complaints that they will take the time to vent, so I really do appreciate your opinion.

1. You do not address whether Babloo's statements regarding the trickery and hidden tagging on this particular anatomy exam is true. As you mentioned, of course, I would hope that any physician who is operating on me will understand anatomy. But I do not think that understanding anatomy entails trickery and hide-and-go seek with the tags. If what Babloo is saying is true, I personally think that kind of trickery and games on the anatomy exam actually detracts from a student's ability to learn and absorb the information because they must be paranoid and on-guard with their teachers methods. But if you happen to know from inside information that what Babloo is saying is not true, please say so because that would change things.
I have replied to this in several forums, and that is why I did not elaborate. Anatomy lab is tricky. I am not going to say that it is going to be a cakewalk. They require you to know very detailed things. I highly doubt that they tagged things that were not in the list, but what I can say is that the lab was manageable last year. The learning that you do in anatomy lab is not when you are taking the test, the learning is done when you are in the lab studying on your own and doing your own dissections for the hours on your own and during scheduled lab time. I am not an M1, I did not take their test, and I DID hear that it was difficult. The ppl I talked to DID NOT describe it as impossible. The several ppl who I spoke to were successful on the test, although they said it was difficult.

Several days before the lab practical, the Anatomy department takes the time to go through all of the bodies and sets up a practice practical for the students. The way that they tag things does not change. The department does make you look at things from a different perspective (tag something from the back that you would often look at from the front), but if you properly study for the exam--you are going to be successful.

2. Instead of addressing the veracity of Babloo's accusations, you defend the NSU by pointing out the elevated class average AFTER appeals. As a person who interviewed and is really considering NSU, I would like some reassurance beyond the fact that the tests are in fact poorly written (tagged) and but then after you fight the fight, you will get your grade readjusted. I would assume that the faculty members having been doing this long enough that they should know a little better how to write/tag for anatomy exam. I mean, for the class average to go from a 65% to 87% because the students basically rioted and went through formal appeal process is certainly not reassuring. As you mentioned, first year is hard enough without being forced to fight for fair grading and testing.
I have NEVER seen the average really be a 65%, but I don't have inside information about this--all I know is what I was told the average was as of today. The assumption that you made about faculty members doing this for a long time was faulty, the specific teacher who the students complained about the questions on taught this for the first time this year. I am not saying that there were not a few bad questions, but for a few bad questions on one exam to be a reason to not go to a school absurd.

The practicals tags are not always easy, once again--they require you to know your information WELL...and sometims you just can't know what they are asking for. However, there are continually students who are very successful on these exams.

There are RARELY any questions thrown out M1 year, and M2 year there are maybe 1-3% of the total questions thrown out. That all being said, as of this year the school is the first year in a transformation to a testing question bank. The great majority of questions that they will be using in subsequent years are questions that have been tested and have been proven to be sound questions. In the future, there will probably be NO questions thrown out.

I really liked the school, but Babloo's posts did make think twice. I appreciate that you are trying to get an another view - a positive one -of your education at NSU. I also appreciate the fact that people who happy with their school do not come back to SDN to write about it...it is often when people have complaints that they will take the time to vent, so I really do appreciate your opinion.
You are correct, I come on here for another reason at this point in time, and just drop by here to see what is said about my school from time to time.

I will say it again: NO school is perfect. I didn't address it, because I don't know how good or bad the test was. All I know, is that in the end everything is fair. There are bad questions from time to time, but I am getting a GREAT education.

If you have any other specific questions, let me know--I'll try to answer them between studying for my GastroInterology final. :love: