Nova Southeastern University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats Alex!!! Perhaps we'll be spending a lot of time studying together in the near future. DPT2017, sorry about the lag, I spoke with Diana who is Monica's assistant.

Members don't see this ad.

No worries! I called her like 5 times today with no answer. Well congrats to you! Hopefully I can get a hold of her tomorrow or will receive an email. Thanks.

Congrats Alex!!! Perhaps we'll be spending a lot of time studying together in the near future. DPT2017, sorry about the lag, I spoke with Diana who is Monica's assistant.

To those of you who were accepted: Congratulations!!! Were any of you ever notified that your application status was pending? If you could post when you submitted everything/when you were updated about the status, I'd appreciate that. Also, if anyone knows how many students have been accepted, that'd be awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
My app was mailed 9/10 I believe, I was notified the next day and completed the supp app. I had a phone interview with Dr. Stern 2 weeks ago. My stats aren't really strong but I nailed my interview.
Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats Alex! I hope that doesn't mean the rest of us have to wait another few weeks for the next acceptances...

Do you mind sharing your stats?

Reason being my GRE wasn't strong however I had a really strong GPA. However I have heard time and time again that Nova does a really good job at looking at the entire application and not weighing one part of it heavier then the other. They look for well rounded students, not just good test takers who did well on the GRE for example is what I was told.

Phone interview? I thought they weren't doing interviews....this is all very confusing lol.

My app was mailed 9/10 I believe, I was notified the next day and completed the supp app. I had a phone interview with Dr. Stern 2 weeks ago. My stats aren't really strong but I nailed my interview.
Good luck

My stats are posted and I'm going to up date them later tonight in the sticky but I basically had cGPA 3.03 pGPA 3.53 GRE 151 151 4.0

The reason for the phone interview is bc I was convicted of a felony when I was 18. ( Im 27 now) I guess they wanted to talk to me about it, they did tell me during my phone interview "we have never accepted a felon before" but I have a pretty good turn around story so I think they saw me for who I am now vs 9 years ago

Hope this helps...

Good job on that GRE. That thing sucked... I did horrible on the Verbal but had the same scores as you for the others.

I am glad they called you and you were able to tell them your story, congrats my friend. Wish you nothing but the best. We all make mistakes when we are young, but its how you learn from it to make yourself a better person and move on from it. Seems you were able to open their eyes on that matter. Good luck.

My stats are posted and I'm going to up date them later tonight in the sticky but I basically had cGPA 3.03 pGPA 3.53 GRE 151 151 4.0

The reason for the phone interview is bc I was convicted of a felony when I was 18. ( Im 27 now) I guess they wanted to talk to me about it, they did tell me during my phone interview "we have never accepted a felon before" but I have a pretty good turn around story so I think they saw me for who I am now vs 9 years ago

Hope this helps...

Thanks that means alot.... I took the GRE 3 times and that was my best score "sucked" is and understatement!

Lol well you are right, it is an understatement as I have never hated anything so much in my life except for the GRE (along with USF). I actually hired a tutor and paid 2 grand to come short on that test. I think it is ridiculous that the schools require it, it only tests you how well you can do on the GRE.

Thanks that means alot.... I took the GRE 3 times and that was my best score "sucked" is and understatement!

So, I called Diane today regarding my status of app and wanted to share this information to whoever is waiting on decision. She told me its still "pending" and won't likely to move until Monika returns to the office which is on either Nov 11 or 12. So, I guess we will all have to wait for next week to come around or at least when Monika returns to the office.

Same here. I also got off the phone with Diane early this morning. Found out that Monica is on a leave of absence currently and will be back on Monday. Diane didn't understand why my application said pending as she said I should have had a decision by now because I submitted it in September. She was confused but stated their was nothing she can do and that she would move my file onto Monica's desk. I then asked her if this would affect me and she said there are still plenty of spots left open and that I was fine. I was hoping to find out this week......but have to wait another week....Man am I getting inpatient and anxious :)

So, I called Diane today regarding my status of app and wanted to share this information to whoever is waiting on decision. She told me its still "pending" and won't likely to move until Monika returns to the office which is on either Nov 11 or 12. So, I guess we will all have to wait for next week to come around or at least when Monika returns to the office.

Same here. I also got off the phone with Diane early this morning. Found out that Monica is on a leave of absence currently and will be back on Monday. Diane didn't understand why my application said pending as she said I should have had a decision by now because I submitted it in September. She was confused but stated their was nothing she can do and that she would move my file onto Monica's desk. I then asked her if this would affect me and she said there are still plenty of spots left open and that I was fine. I was hoping to find out this week......but have to wait another week....Man am I getting inpatient and anxious :)

Does anyone have contact info for Diane? I applied nearly 3 months ago so if she said you should have had a decision by now I think I should have as well. This is so frustrating!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is so weird to me. I understand things happen and you sometimes need to take a leave of absence. I get it. But what I don't understand is how someone found out yesterday and most of us are still waiting...why can't anyone else notify us?

Honestly, who knows what goes on in the admissions room. I know of people who have been rejected that submitted their supplemental app after I did (9/27), So if you applied around that time, they have seen your application. Maybe there is more than one round of reviewing of the applications? Who knows.

Does anyone know how to check the status of your application other than calling in? Is there a way to do it online?

Yes I do! Only reason I have it is because I sent Monica an email and got an automated reply with her phone number on it. If it wasn't for that you would be on the phone all day trying to get in touch with Diane. Nova is horrible. I get transferred at least 50 times per call lol.

954-262-1118.

She told me the same thing but stated nothing she could expect put my file on Monica desk and wait until Monica gets back. So hopefully I will find out on Monday whats going on.

Does anyone have contact info for Diane? I applied nearly 3 months ago so if she said you should have had a decision by now I think I should have as well. This is so frustrating!

As for everyone else, calling is the only way to find out about the status of your application. And even so if you've been accepted or rejected, they don't always update the system for when you call from what I have been told. I submitted my application early September I believe, around the 9th. They have reviewed my file from what I understand but the decision is pending and that is what confused Diane as I should have had a decision made....This is my second run with NOVA as I applied very late last year and it has always been a hassle with them. Nothing we can do unfortunately.

Well, all we can do is wait now. Most of us are in the same boat. It sucks, but we'll find out soon! Good luck to all

So Diana left me a voicemail saying that my application is still pending because Monica is out. I knew this already but I wanted to get a rundown of what exactly this pending status means. When I called last week the lady told me that the admissions committee had made a decision but its still pending. Now, Diana is telling me the pending status means that Monica has to review my application (which won't happen until next week) THEN when the admissions committee is ready they will ask for more applications to review. Monica will then send them over when they committee is ready. SO I'm really confused as to why one person would tell me that the admissions committee has already made a decision on my application and then another person tells me that my application hasn't even been reviewed yet. :(

Also, Diana said it'll take about 3-4 weeks to hear about the main campus if your still in the pending status. This is just wonderful. :mad:

So Diana left me a voicemail saying that my application is still pending because Monica is out. I knew this already but I wanted to get a rundown of what exactly this pending status means. When I called last week the lady told me that the admissions committee had made a decision but its still pending. Now, Diana is telling me the pending status means that Monica has to review my application (which won't happen until next week) THEN when the admissions committee is ready they will ask for more applications to review. Monica will then send them over when they committee is ready. SO I'm really confused as to why one person would tell me that the admissions committee has already made a decision on my application and then another person tells me that my application hasn't even been reviewed yet. :(

.... wow. I think I'm just going to check myself out of this checking up on my application stuff and let what happens happen, because this is ridiculous and almost has me worried that applications are getting lost/bypassed.

i sent my ptcas in august 16 i believe...and my supplemental was sent in the first week of september

Congrats! How did you get your acceptance?

yea of course
Cumulative GPA: 3.35
Pre-req GPA: 3.54
Science and math gpa: 3.01 (monica told me they look at this one too)
Gre: 152 verbal, 145 Quant, 4.0 writing
Bachelors of Science in Dietetics and Nutrition

observation hours: 400 hours in all (peds, sports, ortho, cardio/pulmonary, geriatric, wound care)...the majority was outpatient, acute care i had 40 of the hours from a snf
extra curricular: 75 hours as a college volunteer at Baptist Hospital, intramural flag football, feeding the homeless
work experience: idk if this factored in but i also wrote about how i balanced working with school and getting observation hours at the same time. I didnt have a pt aide job, but i am working as a patient transporter at a hospital for < 1000 hours.

* I got in both the tampa campus and fort lauderdale...as of right now its the fort lauderdale campus ill be attending. That could change though if FIU accepts me after my early interview next month.

Congrats!! I have an interview at U of Miami this next week, but will most likely attend Nova due to cheap living/ child care from my family in Ft. Lauderdale. Let us know what you decide!

So i finally decided to call too ( couldn't wait any longer lol) she said my file has been with the committee since last week, so they should have the decision by later today or early next week and I should be hearing from them next week

So i finally decided to call too ( couldn't wait any longer lol) she said my file has been with the committee since last week, so they should have the decision by later today or early next week and I should be hearing from them next week
i felt the same way i dont know how many times i called

Good Lucky ptbobby!

I received a letter in the mail saying I have been designated as a hold candidate. Anyone familiar with the wait-list for NSU?

Hey so I tried calling Nova admissions and they gave me a generic answer...Do you think I might be able to find out a little more information from Diana?

Hey so I tried calling Nova admissions and they gave me a generic answer...Do you think I might be able to find out a little more information from Diana?
I called Diana and I think she was actually really helpful, even told me to call back next Friday if I haven't heard anything by then....try calling her

I called Diana and I think she was actually really helpful, even told me to call back next Friday if I haven't heard anything by then....try calling her
Thanks! I just got off the phone with her and she told me that mine still needs to get the quick check from Monica and then it will go through to the board....So I am guessing another week or two. And the waiting game continues...haha

Thanks! I just got off the phone with her and she told me that mine still needs to get the quick check from Monica and then it will go through to the board....So I am guessing another week or two. And the waiting game continues...haha
Diana told me the same thing except that it'll probably be another 3-4 weeks.

The campus is small but beautiful and the facility's are state of the art, I went today and had Diana give me a tour. She said there are about 25 spots still open... I will almost certainly be attending summer 14 unless I'm accepted to Miami..but I haven't even heard from them yet for and interview( kinda mad at them) lol

Is anyone aware about whether NOVA uses the PTCAS GPA when considering applicants? Reason being is that PTCAS takes into consideration repeated courses and not the highest grade. As a result, this has lowered my PTCAS GPA significantly.

Unfortunately, I did not apply myself in my undergrad years ago (I am paying for it now). Eight years later, I am a different student and was able to obtain all A's in the pre-requisite courses. Yet my PTCAS GPA does not show for this at all. Very deceiving.

Is anyone aware about whether NOVA uses the PTCAS GPA when considering applicants? Reason being is that PTCAS takes into consideration repeated courses and not the highest grade. As a result, this has lowered my PTCAS GPA significantly.

Unfortunately, I did not apply myself in my undergrad years ago (I am paying for it now). Eight years later, I am a different student and was able to obtain all A's in the pre-requisite courses. Yet my PTCAS GPA does not show for this at all. Very deceiving.
Yes, they do use the PTCAS GPA. I am in a similar boat. Have a low undergrad from more than 10 years ago. Have had straight As since but still have a low cum GPA. I also still don't meet the math/science GPA and am now taking a bunch of random online science classes (environmental bio anyone?). Anyway, I asked specifically about GPA because I was hoping I would scrape by with a different calculation. Per Eric Derise though, it's what ptcas says it what they use.

Wow! Thanks for the heads up but that is not the answer I hoping to hear. I am going to apply anyway. I have nothing to lose. What is your plan?

Yes, they do use the PTCAS GPA. I am in a similar boat. Have a low undergrad from more than 10 years ago. Have had straight As since but still have a low cum GPA. I also still don't meet the math/science GPA and am now taking a bunch of random online science classes (environmental bio anyone?). Anyway, I asked specifically about GPA because I was hoping I would scrape by with a different calculation. Per Eric Derise though, it's what ptcas says it what they use.

Wow! Thanks for the heads up but that is not the answer I was hoping to hear. I am going to apply anyway. I have nothing to lose. What is your plan?

Wow! Thanks for the heads up but that is not the answer I was hoping to hear. I am going to apply anyway. I have nothing to lose. What is your plan?
You might as well. It seems Nova is pretty good at choosing students not just based on GPA. Your personal attributes and essays, as well as extracurricular activities will definitely help!

You might as well. It seems Nova is pretty good at choosing students not just based on GPA. Your personal attributes and essays, as well as extracurricular activities will definitely help!
yea nova is good at that...i got in with a 145 in quant and an average gpa of 3.34....i think it might have been my letter of intent that put me over the top as well as work experience

I just got an email saying that they have reviewed my application and are waiting for my fall grades to be submitted before they make a final decision... anyone else get the same response? I'm wondering if they are waiting to see if I increase my GPA, or if they just want to make sure I'm not going to bomb my remaining science classes... I really appreciate that they are at least giving me the chance to submit those grades as opposed to denying me outright.

I just got an email saying that they have reviewed my application and are waiting for my fall grades to be submitted before they make a final decision... anyone else get the same response? I'm wondering if they are waiting to see if I increase my GPA, or if they just want to make sure I'm not going to bomb my remaining science classes... I really appreciate that they are at least giving me the chance to submit those grades as opposed to denying me outright.

Do you meet all 3 req gpas? (Cum, math science and pre req?). I ask because that could be why they are waiting for grades possibly? They told be they had the option to do that when I asked them about me not making one or those until I finished my remaining classes.

I also hate USF their the only school to deny me for undergrad, and im from Tampa and got my AA degree from HCC! Die bulls die!! Lol

Reactions: 1 user