now that residency is coming to an end...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmasaur

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
do you guys feel like you learned a lot this year? sometimes I am not sure what more I got out of this year vs. directly entering the workforce. maybe it depends on the program but i really dont feel like im well prepared for a job! is it just me??

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe you should express these concerns to your RPD. We train our residents such that they are pharmacists we'd want to hire at the end of their training.

My biggest challenge after residency was getting things done in an 8 hour workday as opposed to always being on the clock as a resident.

I know at the end of my PGY1, I didn't think I was prepared until I precepted a student and realized how much I actually learned in residency compared to what was taught in school. Learning may be occurring, but I think as residents we get caught up in just plowing through each day. And as one of my preceptors once said, there will be things you don't know once you graduate from residency - if you think you know everything, you're overconfident.

And if all of this is not the case, I agree with talking to your RPD to discuss how you can make the most of the last 2 months so that you will be prepared for whatever you want to do.

Reactions: 1 user
As much of a PITA PharmAcademic can be, if you actually really read it and don't just click buttons, and you actually fill in comments and discuss them with your RPD, this should not happen. Agree with previous posters to get the most you can out in 2 months.

I learned a ton in residency. Some of that I didn't see until much later. It wasn't necessarily just "clinical" knowledge, it was everything - transitions of care, understanding how healthcare actually works, and lots and lots of networks and connections. Big picture stuff that wasn't always obvious right away. I learned how better to learn. When people say residency is worth X years of experience, to me it's only if you learn that big picture, better yourself stuff - because a person can only learn (and retain) so many pharmacy facts in one year. But if you can gain knowledge that you can then extrapolate, you're onto something.

I'd love to say my residents also learn a ton but I guess you'd have to ask them.:happy:

Reactions: 1 user