This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ncal

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm about to graduate from my undergrad (BS in Psychology) and I plan on finishing up the prereqs necessary for ABSN and become an RN through that. I don't want to stop at being an RN though, I would love to further my education and make it to NP. I know I'm a bit of a ways away from that step, but I still want to ask: do NPs get to work in the field of neurology? And if so, how can you get there and what does the work consist of?

All I've ever wanted is to work in neurology. I've always loved learning the anatomy of the brain/nervous system and how it works. I originally was pre-med, aiming to become a neurologist, but personal reasons got in the way of me working towards med school so instead I am working the nursing route, which I'm still happy with. I'm just trying to get as close as I can to that point ("that point" as in being a neurologist) because I can't actually reach it - or at least not in the near future.

I have seen that you can become a CNRN (certified neuroscience registered nurse), but that isn't for NP (although I am interested in that certification once I get experience as an RN). I'm also aware that when you go for your Master's you pick a specialty somewhere there (please correct me if I am wrong), but the thing is is that I've only seen psychiatric NP and while I will have a psych degree, I'm not sure if that's what I want to do career-wise. I would rather work with the actual physical brain and nervous system, rather than the mind and mental health.

Another question though relating to the CNRN: to get certified you would need experience in neuroscience nursing practice, but how would you get that experience? Would you just try to find a job as an RN in some neurology/neuroscience department?

Anyways, I'm sorry if I sound dumb or completely naive. Like I said, I am only about to graduate from undergrad, so I'm still in the process of learning everything I can about what's to come after getting my BSN and being an RN!

P.S. Also please do enlighten me about anything I should know about NP or even neuro NP!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

I'm about to graduate from my undergrad (BS in Psychology) and I plan on finishing up the prereqs necessary for ABSN and become an RN through that. I don't want to stop at being an RN though, I would love to further my education and make it to NP. I know I'm a bit of a ways away from that step, but I still want to ask: do NPs get to work in the field of neurology? And if so, how can you get there and what does the work consist of?

All I've ever wanted is to work in neurology. I've always loved learning the anatomy of the brain/nervous system and how it works. I originally was pre-med, aiming to become a neurologist, but personal reasons got in the way of me working towards med school so instead I am working the nursing route, which I'm still happy with. I'm just trying to get as close as I can to that point ("that point" as in being a neurologist) because I can't actually reach it - or at least not in the near future.

I have seen that you can become a CNRN (certified neuroscience registered nurse), but that isn't for NP (although I am interested in that certification once I get experience as an RN). I'm also aware that when you go for your Master's you pick a specialty somewhere there (please correct me if I am wrong), but the thing is is that I've only seen psychiatric NP and while I will have a psych degree, I'm not sure if that's what I want to do career-wise. I would rather work with the actual physical brain and nervous system, rather than the mind and mental health.

Another question though relating to the CNRN: to get certified you would need experience in neuroscience nursing practice, but how would you get that experience? Would you just try to find a job as an RN in some neurology/neuroscience department?

Anyways, I'm sorry if I sound dumb or completely naive. Like I said, I am only about to graduate from undergrad, so I'm still in the process of learning everything I can about what's to come after getting my BSN and being an RN!

P.S. Also please do enlighten me about anything I should know about NP or even neuro NP!

Yes NP’s work in neurology. I have a friend that landed a job in a neuro surgical ICU as a new graduate. Good luck to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I'm a neuroscience RN on a neurosurgery step-down unit (we have patients from both neurology and neurosurgical services). Yes, to get the CNRN certification (or the SCRN one, which is what I have), you must have a year of RN experience caring for patients with neurological diseases, so you would get this experience by working on a neurology/neurosurgery unit or neuro ICU. Our unit has patients with pretty much all of the neuro-related diseases (brain tumors, epilepsy, encephalitis, strokes, hydrocephalus, multiple sclerosis, myasthenia gravis, aneurysms, AVMs, ALS, etc).

In addition to the resident service, our neurology department also has a NP service. Most of the neurology NPs had neurology RN experience (neuro ICU, neuro stepdown, etc). We also have NPs on the neurosurgery service, however the neurology NPs seem more autonomous and pretty much manage patients in collaboration with the attending, while the neurosurgery NPs are involved more in discharge coordination.