NPTE for 2016 Grads

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Funnylady

Licensed Dr of PT
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am a DPT student set to graduate in May and of course I am super excited! I have my last clinical rotation from January to April this upcoming Spring. I would like to schedule the NPTE for July. My question is: should I begin studying for the exam in December or wait until April? I want to put my all into it yet I do not want to over/under study the material.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello and congratulations on your upcoming graduation in May :)

I would say it depends on how you study. I studied for a total of 12 days for the NPTE and passed on my first try. I have classmates who studied for 3 months and passed on their first try as well. It just depends on what works for you.

I definitely recommend using the PEAT exam that the FSBPT offers, as well as O'Sullivan and/or Scorebuilders to help you prepare.

I would recommend taking a PEAT several months before to see where you stand and then formulating your study plans based off of that. Find what works best for you, but generally I feel that slow and steady wins the race. Not many can pull of studying just a few weeks prior to the exam, and I believe it just adds more stress to the situation.

Hello, congrats on wrapping up your last year of PT school, I remember that time fondly!

There are a lot of different strategies out there for NPTE prep. I have put together a new NPTE prep website, physicaltherapyed.com, where we talk about what we think works (not that it's perfect for everyone).

We recommend not wading into your NPTE review plan. Meaning we suggest putting together a study plan and sticking to it, and not just starting your program super early and studying when you have the time after clinical rotations/class/etc. (not that that's what you were suggesting)

So... to answer your question, I would suggest starting around the time you graduate, so April given the options you suggested. I think an 8 week study plan is ideal for the typical person, and we even have a few examples on our website you can check out.

That said, the students who take our remedial courses usually do better with a longer study program (usually 12 weeks), so it really depends on how you function best.

Would you consider yourself a strong test taker? What have your study habits been in PT school? We have about 80 free sample NPTE questions on our site if you want to give them a whirl now and not waste a practice test. They're still under development and review so you may find a spelling error or two, but the questions are solid.

Someone mentioned taking the PEAT a few months out, I don't disagree, I believe that the PEAT is the most accurate predictor of NPTE success. That said, you may want to take your 2 PEATs in the final weeks of your study program. I would recommend taking a scorebuilders test the first day of your study plan to launch your review plan and highlight your strengths and weaknesses, I'd hate to burn a PEAT right off the bat, but your call! We have a practice NPTE as well but we don't have the sample size yet for me to say it correlates strongly with NPTE scores.

Why don't you take some time to develop an 8 or ten week study plan, then if you're feeling anxious take a scorebuilders practice exam in March and see how you do? Worst case you can just beef up your study timeline. Again though, I think 8 weeks is perfect.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I congratulate you on being proactive on your preparation! If you plan on attending APTA's NSC this month, I'll encourage you to stop by Therapy Exam Prep's Booth and I can talk to you more about what would be the best recommendations. Or you can review what TEP has on the website: therapyexamprep.com and contact us.

There's more to the exam than meets the eye and TEP addresses different aspects for a successful outcome.

Hi,
I am a DPT student set to graduate in May and of course I am super excited! I have my last clinical rotation from January to April this upcoming Spring. I would like to schedule the NPTE for July. My question is: should I begin studying for the exam in December or wait until April? I want to put my all into it yet I do not want to over/under study the material.

Thanks in advance
I just want to give my story. I took the NPTE 2x. Failed first time by a hair (594). Passed the 2nd time (654). Here's what I did.
First time, I read through Scorebuilders cover to cover and took the 3 scorebuilders, 1 O'Sullivan's, 1 PEAT, 2 Online Advantages (made by Scorebuilders). All practice tests I went over every question and read the commentary on each answer.

Practice test results: 65-68 in scorebuilders, 61 in O'Sullivans, a 608 on the PEAT, 65-68 in Online Advantage tests.
I went into the exam in a haze and I really felt disoriented. I think for me a lot of it was that I felt fatigued when I took the exam and it was just overwhelming--too much at one time.

After the exam, I prepared exclusively with O'Sullivans and wrote out a study guide. The first time I took the test I had just read through the book and didn't create my own study guide. Will send this to anyone who wants it. Creating a study guide and the harder content of the O'Sullivan's text just made my preparation go better.
Practice exam scores were in the mid to high 70s, early 80s at this point, but that is not a good predictor because I had taken the practice exams once already and remembered some of the answers.

I continued studying O'Sullivan until I had read the entire book through cover to cover. I kept taking the practice exams over and over and I bought two Iphone Apps-- PT Content Master ($20) and PT Question of the Day. ($10 for 6 month subscription). I kept doing questions and reading O'Sullivan.
Second time I took the exam I was more relaxed and when I finished the exam I felt like I could have kept going. My endurance wasn't shot to hell at that time. I also learned a trick or two. I budgeted time better. You have 5 hours. I used 1 hour for every section and made sure to mark and go back to any questions I didn't know. I used ALL the time. Up to the last second I spent checking and rechecking my answers.

Something else my 2nd time, I just felt like I had more mental endurance--for me that was the main thing so I saw the more studying and mental "muscle" you can build up, the better.

Reactions: 2 users
I just want to give my story. I took the NPTE 2x. Failed first time by a hair (594). Passed the 2nd time (654). Here's what I did.
First time, I read through Scorebuilders cover to cover and took the 3 scorebuilders, 1 O'Sullivan's, 1 PEAT, 2 Online Advantages (made by Scorebuilders). All practice tests I went over every question and read the commentary on each answer.

Practice test results: 65-68 in scorebuilders, 61 in O'Sullivans, a 608 on the PEAT, 65-68 in Online Advantage tests.
I went into the exam in a haze and I really felt disoriented. I think for me a lot of it was that I felt fatigued when I took the exam and it was just overwhelming--too much at one time.

After the exam, I prepared exclusively with O'Sullivans and wrote out a study guide. The first time I took the test I had just read through the book and didn't create my own study guide. Will send this to anyone who wants it. Creating a study guide and the harder content of the O'Sullivan's text just made my preparation go better.
Practice exam scores were in the mid to high 70s, early 80s at this point, but that is not a good predictor because I had taken the practice exams once already and remembered some of the answers.

I continued studying O'Sullivan until I had read the entire book through cover to cover. I kept taking the practice exams over and over and I bought two Iphone Apps-- PT Content Master ($20) and PT Question of the Day. ($10 for 6 month subscription). I kept doing questions and reading O'Sullivan.
Second time I took the exam I was more relaxed and when I finished the exam I felt like I could have kept going. My endurance wasn't shot to hell at that time. I also learned a trick or two. I budgeted time better. You have 5 hours. I used 1 hour for every section and made sure to mark and go back to any questions I didn't know. I used ALL the time. Up to the last second I spent checking and rechecking my answers.

Something else my 2nd time, I just felt like I had more mental endurance--for me that was the main thing so I saw the more studying and mental "muscle" you can build up, the better.

Hello James221,

I would really need the extra help with your study guide. I know this is individually tailored but to be honest I had very poor preparation back in July, which I badly failed. Inputs are appreciated.

Thanks!

Al

Hi,

Thanks in advance

hi would just like to add on your question I am planning to take an exam this coming July too, Can I register to FSBPT as early as January? I tried to register now but the options only show for April exam ,,, Thanks in advance

Hi I am planning to take the NPTE this July 2016, would just like to know if i can register at FSBPT for the exam as early as now? I was trying earlier but the option for my state jurisdiction is showing April exam only?

James221,

I would greatly appreciate a copy of your study guide. Also, how did you go about increasing your mental endurance? I find myself having that same difficulty as well.

Thanks,

Princess

Hey!
Was wondering if you can send the study guide my way as well!
[email protected]

Thank you so much!!!

THANK YOU! That was really helpful! I hope that I pass on the first go 'round. May I have a copy of your study guide to you know, guide me? Lol.

Hi , does anyone have the therapy ed 2016 practice tests? I would like to exchange them for my therpay ed 2015 practice tests :) , if anyone is interested just email me at [email protected]

Could I too plz get your study guide. Would highly appreciate that. My email if is [email protected]

Regards

Vinayak

Hi congratulations James on your success. I was mulling over the purchase of Apps. Guess your this post made my decision easy. I would really appreciate if you could divulge on your strategy to build up the mental endurance. I feel its one of the key aspects for NPTE sucess.

Regards

Vinayak

Hi

Hi James I'm planning to take the NPTE for the 3rd time I have failed twice already and it's so frustrating I felt confident this time around but ended up negatively would you share your guide w me too please [email protected]