NPTE JULY 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vaniafc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Im a foreign trained PT and for the past 10 years I have only been working with wound management, I toke the test in October 2015, didn't pass, barely had 14 days to study so I got a very low score. Now I want to try again in July, I got the O'SULLIVAN and Scorebuilders review books and Im reading them but its being difficult to get solid study by myself so Im thinking about enrolling in a prep class, Im between TEP and The Therapy Team. Does anybody have any experience with one of these courses??? The Therapy Team is very expensive and only 4 weeks but they focus on one subject every week,TEP is much cheaper 3 month course but seems like they approach all the subjects a week, every day a discussion about a different subject so I don't know if I would benefit from that mix of everything together..... Anybody please help!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone not pass?
I'm worried this exam is not difficult enough to weed out bad programs.

If anything, this exam was TOO difficult, hence the possible lower score required to pass. Not one person I spoke to thought it was really fair, even the top 2 in our class. Every program has to abide by the CAPTE standards, so that super duper high ranked school you think is better than most is exactly the same as that no name school. I don't understand why people still have this viewpoint that one pt school is better than the next (assuming the schools being compared both have >90% pass rate lol). Pass the damn NPTE, who cares where you went to school, your employer sure as hell won't.

Reactions: 1 user
Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers or put down your program, and did not claim that mine was high and mighty. Just saying I know of a lot of programs opening up for business raking in the money and it's worrisome if just about everyone who takes the exam passes the thing. What does that mean for the value of the profession and market saturation? I would definitely raise the difficulty of this exam even for myself.
Some folks get offended quite easily.

Last edited:
It's not about getting offended really, it's more like your statement lacks logic lol. Make it harder because QUALIFIED applicants can pass the exam? Why? If someone can get into PT school, pass/graduate PT school and then pass the boards set at an appropriate difficulty as determined by FSBPT, then yea they deserve it. As I also said, this exam was too difficult as evident by the lower score required to pass.

Edit: if market saturation is really your worry, it has nothing to do about students passing the NPTE, it all starts at the number of applicants admitted to school. Honestly, I live in the 5th or 6th largest city in the US and jobs are aplenty.

Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't mean to ruffle your feathers or put down your program, and did not claim that mine was high and mighty. Just saying I know of a lot of programs opening up for business raking in the money and it's worrisome if just about everyone who takes the exam passes the thing. What does that mean for the value of the profession and market saturation? I would definitely raise the difficulty of this exam even for myself.

They're offended that a layperson, who doesn't even understand that medical 'jargon' is not exclusive to our (not yours yet) profession, can question the pass rate of an exam. Or has not researched the profession enough to know how the Dr. title is accepted/ appropriately used. These guys worked their butts off and have been waiting 10 days with high anxiety and fear. Empathy will be a good trait for you to learn in the future. Your patients may appreciate it.

Worry about getting accepted, and then actually doing well in any program, before offering your opinion on an exam you're not even eligible to sit for.

Reactions: 3 users

Last edited:
If you would put as much effort into studying for the exam as you do researching my previous posts and formulating a comeback you might just agree that it's not that bad. Maybe law is a good profession for you. But that's not for me to judge. But thank you for your analysis of my opinion.

If you would put as much effort into studying for the exam as you do researching my previous posts and formulating a comeback you might just agree that it's not that bad. Maybe law is a good profession for you. But that's not for me to judge. But thank you for your analysis of my opinion.

It's not that hard to look back at your posts. I even responded to some of them. How'd that research into what CAPTE stands for and what they do? Still think they accredit medical schools? lol. Also, you're welcome.

Last edited:
I may comment on any thread that I like whether it pertains to me now or in the future. My opinion is my own whether you think I should "pursue another profession" or not. Keep the hate to yourself and have a nice day.

I may comment on any thread that I like whether it pertains to me now or in the future. My opinion is my own whether you think I should "pursue another profession" or not. Keep the hate to yourself and have a nice day.

Last edited:
Clearing up the issue is one thing but what you have done is another. It would not take much to say hey I don't quite agree with you. I would love to learn from you all but instead you decide to find previous posts that I made when I was confused about one thing or another and try to paint a picture like I'm missing some intelligence. Like I said earlier I'm sure your program was just fine and the exam was not easy but IN MY OPINION it is a strangely high number of people that have passed. That's is all, let's not argue further.

Clearing up the issue is one thing but what you have done is another. It would not take much to say hey I don't quite agree with you. I would love to learn from you all but instead you decide to find previous posts that I made when I was confused about one thing or another and try to paint a picture like I'm missing some intelligence. Like I said earlier I'm sure your program was just fine and the exam was not easy but IN MY OPINION it is a strangely high number of people that have passed. That's is all, let's not argue further.

Last edited: