Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there any actual proof that places practice yield protection? Or are you simply just extrapolating based on how many applications there are per spot. Like I said it could be a myriad of other reasons one doesn’t “fit the program”. But for a program to say that they don’t want someone because they’re “too good for us” seems BS to me and is something cocky med students say when they don’t get every interview they apply for.It's almost certainly yield protection.
A program that is typically filled with IMGs/Caribbean students won't think that an applicant with a 260 Step and AOA/GHHS would want to go there. Whether that's true or not is not taken into account when the program still needs to sort through 800 applications to interview 80. The data would suggest the former, though in @Chibucks15's case it sounds like the latter (e.g. they do want to go there but the program doesn't believe that).
Because with how easy ERAS is, the likelihood everyone just sends apps everywhere is statistically more probable than someone has carefully curated a small list of 20 programs they really want to attend and only applied to them. I think it's a generational thing to be honest; my chair when I was applying was an older fellow and said I only needed to apply to 20-30 programs to match. I was told by the clerkship director and the PD to apply to at least twice that many because that's what everyone else is going to do (and obviously did). I ended up sending 140.
And that's one of the problems the application cap is trying to solve: now, by sending an application there, it's implied that the applicant truly does want to go there and their app should be taken seriously.