NROTC then PhD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Starrbarcar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to go from NROTC to USUHS for a PhD in clinical psychology? I know there is an option to go from NROTC to USUHS but I wasn't sure if that was limited to MDs

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure on USUHS but we do have a HPSP for Clinical Psychology for your PhD. You can get accepted into any program and the Army will pay for it.
Here is the blurb from the 2017 program guide-

Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) -- Counseling/Clinical Psychology Provides 1 and 2 year scholarships to students in APA accredited clinical or counseling psychology doctoral programs. Applicant must be a US Citizen. HPSP provides full tuition, monthly stipend of $2,229.30 for 10 and one half months and reimbursement of certain academic fees. Provides Second Lieutenant pay for 45 days during ADT. Appointed and commissioned as a Second Lieutenant in the MS Corps while participating in the HPSP program. ADO is year-for-year for each year receiving the scholarship with a minimum obligation of 3 years.

Reactions: 1 user
Howdy! There are a bunch of active duty clinical psych students at USU. With the MD students who were in ROTC in college, the service obligation from ROTC is just added to what they owe for the MD. West Pointers for instance, hold a 12 year service obligation (5 for the Point and 7 for USU) after graduating from USU (disregarding residency). Though I can't truly speak from experience within the clinical psych PhD program, I can't imagine why it would be any different. Good luck on your application trail!

Last edited:
Is there a way to go from NROTC to USUHS for a PhD in clinical psychology? I know there is an option to go from NROTC to USUHS but I wasn't sure if that was limited to MDs

I don't see why that would be a problem, but I also wouldn't bank on it just because you are NROTC. USU is extremely competitive. I could be wrong on this, but it appears they may also allocate a certain number of spots for each branch + civilians. If you look at the current 1st year cohort, there are two students from the Air Force, two students from the Navy, one student from the Army, and two civilian students. 2nd year cohort: two from Air Force, 2 from Army, 2 from Navy without civilians.