NSU acceptance class of 2011!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dr Kuba, how long are you willing to wait for NJ? The day before classes start? :eek: I don't think you will wait long at all. There is probably going to be a lot of movement. Hang in there!!! :luck:

Ill wait until Early March. If you are reading this, UMDNJ, your deadline is March 5th.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone. I'm going to be joining you all at NSU next year. I'm so excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all already accepted for NSU-COM Class of 2011.:clap:
Just interviewed today and fell in love with it all over again.:love:
Best of luck to all hoping to be accepted.:luck:

I received notification from Dr. Whitehead today that I have been accepted at NSU!! My wife and I loved the south Florida area and we are definately going down to Nova!

I received notification from Dr. Whitehead today that I have been accepted at NSU!! My wife and I loved the south Florida area and we are definately going down to Nova!

Congratulations! Its a great school in an awesome location! :)

Congrats to all already accepted for NSU-COM Class of 2011.:clap:
Just interviewed today and fell in love with it all over again.:love:
Best of luck to all hoping to be accepted.:luck:
good luck. I'm sure you did fine. they are very meticulous to whom they send out interviews to and therefore about 85% of those interviewed in previous years get accepted. So, you are practically 85% my classmate! Yay! and 100% by my standards.

anybody? Bueller....bueller...?
yes, they have various upcoming events that they will let those accepted know of, including orientations. It is still very early and will probably not hear from them this year.

Congratulations to all those newly accepted. YOU are going to medical school!!!! and a really nice one at that! lol

good luck. I'm sure you did fine. they are very meticulous to whom they send out interviews to and therefore about 85% of those interviewed in previous years get accepted. So, you are practically 85% my classmate! Yay! and 100% by my standards.

Hey Ossari,
Thanks...I really appreciate the vote of confidence.
The Adcom is meeting tomorrow and hopefully I'll hear from them really soon.
Cool school in sunny South Florida; how can that be beat?:D

Members don't see this ad :)
NSU COM Class of 2011.

What's up with the $750 Non-Refundable Deposit so early on in the interview season? :thumbdown:

NSU COM Class of 2011.

What's up with the $750 Non-Refundable Deposit so early on in the interview season? :thumbdown:
not so early, for nearly all schools, if you were accepted before december, you are supposed to pay for your seat on that day.

Hey Ossari,
Thanks...I really appreciate the vote of confidence.
The Adcom is meeting tomorrow and hopefully I'll hear from them really soon.
Cool school in sunny South Florida; how can that be beat?:D
You can't, maybe HOD will realize that! lol j/k

NSU COM Class of 2011.

they have the same system as most of the other DO schools..and its on the AACOMAS website...shouldve done more research (not trying to sound like an ass)

I'm going to revisiting NSU in late January to try to dissect the school's curriculum and what the school itself has to offer. I'm trying to go in there blindly since I may have been overwhelmed by the schools exterior and the area itself.

Do you think it is premature for me to be looking for housing at that time? I've begun to search and have found some places that look nice. Also, when do most students secure their housing? I've heard that it's better to do it sooner than later to beat the mad rush since SoFL housing is seasonal. Thanks in advance for any advice. :D

PS. Looking at house prices, I may be looking for one or two roommates. Anyone interested in looking for housing around that time? Thanks.

This may be late or premature, but I was wondering if any of the first years know the list of the standard books and supplies that are required. This will help when someone inquires about holiday or birthday gifts.

In particular,

What steth do first years use? Such as the Littman Cardio III?
Blood pressure cuffs?
Special manuals or books?
Scrubs?

Thanks!

I think I'm leaving the NSU love fest. I got into NYCOM and thought about it, and I came to the conclusion I could not live without the cold weather. I also liked that I could rotate in NYC 3rd year, since I do want to workt here after med school. Also, no mandatory lectures is a nice plus, even though I probably will go to lectures, it still is nice to be able to skip a class here or there if I need to.

But I wish all of you almost my classmates the best of luck. NSU really is a great school adn I had a great time when I visited, everyone was really nice and friendly, but me and the heat and humidity just don't mix well. If only they could transport it to a place somewhere further north.

I think I'm leaving the NSU love fest. I got into NYCOM and thought about it, and I came to the conclusion I could not live without the cold weather. I also liked that I could rotate in NYC 3rd year, since I do want to workt here after med school. Also, no mandatory lectures is a nice plus, even though I probably will go to lectures, it still is nice to be able to skip a class here or there if I need to.

But I wish all of you almost my classmates the best of luck. NSU really is a great school adn I had a great time when I visited, everyone was really nice and friendly, but me and the heat and humidity just don't mix well. If only they could transport it to a place somewhere further north.
:( good luck at Nycom.

Alright, what they tell you that you need and what you really need are different. You'll find this all out when you start school, but for now.

Netters Anatomy Atlas (although you get this free when you join one of the clubs here)

Rohens Anatomy Atlas (has real pictures, not drawings like netters... i use both personally)

Physiology book by Linda Costanza (optional, but helps a lot)

You don't really need a book for biochem or histology. For histology you'll be buying DVD's from a club that are absolutely essential. You'll also join SOMA in order to get the test packet (compilation of old exams for every class). The rest of the classes... the teachers provide you with note packets that are pretty much all inclusive. Remember that text books will be on reserve in the library if you decide one day you want to read a section in them for clarification or something.

Stethoscope... anything with a bell AND diaphragm. There's an equipment fair by Welch Allyn at the beginning where they sell us all the equipment at a discount. Blood pressure cuff you can get from them or anywhere else.

For scrubs, CONFIRM first that you guys are going to in fact where Ciel Blue like our class, and then if so you get get them from anywhere including the bookstore.

Oh yea, its only December... so try to RELAX. Enjoy what time you have left before med school, you have plenty of time to get all this once you get here in the fall.

Two. Hey, don't hate the player, hate the game. Ahem Ahem, UMDNJ and DMU...Ahem. :p

I can either start a POLL, or pay 2 deposits.....or go strictly by Depakote's impressive spreadsheet! Decisions, decisions......

You're going to do well! NYCOM is lucky to have you

I can either start a POLL, or pay 2 deposits.....or go strictly by Depakote's impressive spreadsheet! Decisions, decisions......
No matter what you choose, December 14th is the date. Remember that you're not only paying a deposit, but sending in the required forms to the school. That takes time. I know you'll make the right decision.

Hmm.... I thought I was done with NSUCOM, but now that I decided, I'm not quite sure. I haven't sent out any deposits or decline to either NYCOM or NSUCOM, I just thought about it, and figured NYCOM would be the better place for me. Only now Im having second thoughts. So if you guys don't mind sharing, why are you choosing NSU over any other school? And please don't say the weather, as I've said before, I hate the heat and humidity of south Florida.

HemaOncDoc, I'm now understanding your confusion about which school. I am now feeling confused, and neither school really felt more right to me than the other, so I think my gut is also confused.

Hmm.... I thought I was done with NSUCOM, but now that I decided, I'm not quite sure. I haven't sent out any deposits or decline to either NYCOM or NSUCOM, I just thought about it, and figured NYCOM would be the better place for me. Only now Im having second thoughts. So if you guys don't mind sharing, why are you choosing NSU over any other school? And please don't say the weather, as I've said before, I hate the heat and humidity of south Florida.

HemaOncDoc, I'm now understanding your confusion about which school. I am now feeling confused, and neither school really felt more right to me than the other, so I think my gut is also confused.
No! I think toothless is right, I'm contagious. I need to be quarantined! Have you used Depakote's table? It can help some because it allows you to assign weight to each interest area. It helped me. I didn't like the -2 to +3 scale though. I didn't like how it would subtract points from already assigned points. There is probably a good reason to it though.

I think if you value reputation highly then NYCOM has that edge, but I can't see NYCOM beating NSU in facilities and location.

Does anyone know if they stream lectures, or have lectures recorded to play via internet at NSUCOM?

They told me they do in second year. In fact, a student told me he was not going to class as much cuz they were online.

I hope that they do decide to do this for us next year too. I plan on missing the entire 30% of allowable classes, per class, but still would like to be able to get the lecture at my leisure. Good for review too, maybe.

Thanks for the book list, Faraaz!

I was told that they do record lectures.
Let's hope so, because even if I go to class, it's nice to be able to listen to the lectures again. :)

No! I think toothless is right, I'm contagious. I need to be quarantined! Have you used Depakote's table? It can help some because it allows you to assign weight to each interest area. It helped me. I didn't like the -2 to +3 scale though. I didn't like how it would subtract points from already assigned points. There is probably a good reason to it though.

I tried to use that spreadsheet, but it just confuses me. I have no idea how to work it. I just wrote out a list. What I like is that NYCOM would let me do rotations in NYC during 3 and 4 year, whereas NSUCOM I would be in Florida. At this point, I plan on practicing in NY, so wouldn't it be better to do rotations in the area? But hten, plenty of people who went to NSU get residencies in NY. And NSU is just gorgeous. Oh the confusion. Thanls a lot HOD, you really are contagious. :laugh:

Sorry...:laugh: Oops!

I made a list of the pros and cons. It did help. If you have questions about it, ask someone who has used it already. Shoot me a PM if you want.

Some people have put down two deposits to give them some extra time to make their decision, visit the schools again, and re-evaluate their options. I think this is good if you're on the fence. This IS a good problem to have.

I tried to use that spreadsheet, but it just confuses me. I have no idea how to work it. I just wrote out a list. What I like is that NYCOM would let me do rotations in NYC during 3 and 4 year, whereas NSUCOM I would be in Florida. At this point, I plan on practicing in NY, so wouldn't it be better to do rotations in the area? But hten, plenty of people who went to NSU get residencies in NY. And NSU is just gorgeous. Oh the confusion. Thanls a lot HOD, you really are contagious. :laugh:

Music, it isn't as hard as it looks at first. Depakote also posted a "tutorial" on it that helps clarify the point system. Take the 2nd column's list of features, write them out in the order that's most important to you, top to bottom. (I actually added 2 features and threw out 2 others for mine). Enter your list into that column and the spreadsheet's formulas will calculate the points for you. My schools came to be 1.3 difference, which doesn't seem like enough to choose one over the other!! But yours could be more clear cut.

Lectures are NOT recorded during first year...they may be during 2nd year..because the 2nd year lecture room is far more technologically superior then the 1st year..this isnt a problem...just have a friend get u the lecture notes...and u can study on ur own time..just look up what u dont know in some sort of supplemental text and u'll be fine.

Do we send in that letter of intent along with that first deposit slip even if we are not 100% sure we are matriculating? Linda told me to send it, but I didnt know what kind of ethical obligation was connected to it.

Do we send in that letter of intent along with that first deposit slip even if we are not 100% sure we are matriculating? Linda told me to send it, but I didnt know what kind of ethical obligation was connected to it.
Send it. Otherwise they won't send you your orientation information and all that good stuff. I think that schools are well aware that other factors change our decision. As the Dean said, "the reason for the tuition being only $750 is that we want our students to really want to come to the school, not to bind them to a school." Not that $750 is small change...

Does anyone know how and when they disburse the money that we get from loans. From my understanding, it all goes into your account and you use the account to pay for tuition and your expenses (everything indicated in the budget). Also, I think they disburse this money the first day of classes. So, this may pose a problem since we must pay for housing, supplies, make various payments, etc... Any ideas? Thanks.