NSU Master of Biomedical Science 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same here, it looks like Nikki is making calls of acceptance today

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Ahhhh that’s so exciting! Did your shark link portal update after your acceptance or is it still the same for now? Hopefully more positive news for everyone this week!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
any of you know the academic requirements for the guaranteed MD interview? Looks like NSU MD class is around 50 students...I wonder how many MBS students make it to the medical school class..

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted my app on March 10. I was waiting on my letter of recommendations to come in. I got the call yesterday that my app was now complete and submitted for review. This morning I saw your post about trying the link for login and it worked for me. It showed a shark ID # and NSU ID# but the email null like yours. I really don't know what that means but I hope its good news.
I got this exact thing as well. Everything was showing up (shark ID # and NSU ID#) but the email null.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to @Say.Ahh !
To those awaiting a response, I spoke to Nikki today and was told something entirely different than previously mentioned. She stated that we’re most likely not hearing a response yet because they are still on the fence about us. I asked when we would hear back and she stated it varies but there is no guarantee that we would hear back by the end of this month.

Congrats to @Say.Ahh !
To those awaiting a response, I spoke to Nikki today and was told something entirely different than previously mentioned. She stated that we’re most likely not hearing a response yet because they are still on the fence about us. I asked when we would hear back and she stated it varies but there is no guarantee that we would hear back by the end of this month.
This is becoming quiet worrisome.. :( The lack of transparency does everyone a disservice.. Did she provide any additional information?

Congratulations on your acceptance!!! Were you also told you’d hear back by mail ? Or did they just happened to call you about your acceptance? Appreciate any feedback !

Congrats to @Say.Ahh !

May I ask what "GPA" is considered to be "on the fence?"

At least we’re still being considered and they haven’t said a flat out “no” as of yet. Bright side

Reactions: 3 users
Ahhhh that’s so exciting! Did your shark link portal update after your acceptance or is it still the same for now? Hopefully more positive news for everyone this week!
It is currently still the same. I haven't paid the deposit yet .

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on your acceptance!!! Were you also told you’d hear back by mail ? Or did they just happened to call you about your acceptance? Appreciate any feedback !
They just called me out of the blue. She told me I would receive my acceptance package in the mail. I also received it today by email.

NSU is the only program I applied to so I’m hopeful for good news. (I live pretty close in south Florida) anyone else from Florida?

very true. ive applied to a few other schools and it seems like everyones just very delayed rn? :(
I was thinking since it’s supposed to be graduation time maybe that has them occupied trying to figure something out for those students due to Covid

This is becoming quiet worrisome.. :( The lack of transparency does everyone a disservice.. Did she provide any additional information?

No unfortunately that's all I received from her. I call back weekly (sometimes with my name, sometimes without just to see if she tells everyone the same) and its inconsistent.

I have ok stats and mcat score. I believed my letter of recommendation from the cardiologist that i work for who also has taught nova students for 20 years would help as well as my research, but im still on hold. The more of you I get know, the more i realize there a lot of really competitive applicants for bms programs too. At this point the best thing we can do is just follow up with Nikki and hope for the best.

any of you know the academic requirements for the guaranteed MD interview? Looks like NSU MD class is around 50 students...I wonder how many MBS students make it to the medical school class..
FYI I emailed Shemeka asking for the academic/MCAT requirements to obtain an interview with the MD program. She said the required MCAT is 505

I have ok stats and mcat score. I believed my letter of recommendation from the cardiologist that i work for who also has taught nova students for 20 years would help as well as my research, but im still on hold. The more of you I get know, the more i realize there a lot of really competitive applicants for bms programs too. At this point the best thing we can do is just follow up with Nikki and hope for the best.
Thats awesome!
I unfortunately haven't been able to take the MCAT bc COVID so I know i lack in the testing. My GPA is nice, my LOR are from physicians I work for - 1 is the ED director at trauma center! But yes there are alot of competitive applicants - I just wonder how many applications theyre receiving. I know they have 70 seats.

You should register for the mcat, the aamc is open for registration dates since Tuesday , if you havent done so already of course. That my concern too but its always good to have a plan B. Best of luck ! Let me know if you hear back, wish you the best.

No unfortunately that's all I received from her. I call back weekly (sometimes with my name, sometimes without just to see if she tells everyone the same) and its inconsistent.

this morning she said the committee is meeting this week and whether “admitted/denied/need more time to decide” they will contact us to let us know soon. You’re right its always different but at least shes nice about everyone calling

NSU is the only program I applied to so I’m hopeful for good news. (I live pretty close in south Florida) anyone else from Florida?
I live in SOFLO. Im applying to some others here as well.

this morning she said the committee is meeting this week and whether “admitted/denied/need more time to decide” they will contact us to let us know soon. You’re right its always different but at least shes nice about everyone calling
I was about to write a post saying the same. I spoke with her this morning and she told me the same. The committee is meeting in a couple of days. So I'm banking on knowing a def answer by next week latest...hopefully.

I personally have a 3.46.
I really don't know what's my cum gpa at this point. My undergrad was a 2.99 and my post grad is a 3.8. I had to take a lot of classes over bc I am changing careers. I was taking courses while working for years. I too was scheduled to take the MCAT before covid. Rescheduling now for July...seems like all the noon slots are taken.

Heads up guys!

I received a call on Thursday 5/7 telling me that my application was complete and sent to the committee for review.
I received a call on Monday 5/11 notifying me of acceptance!!

Reactions: 4 users
Heads up guys!

I received a call on Thursday 5/7 telling me that my application was complete and sent to the committee for review.
I received a call on Monday 5/11 notifying me of acceptance!!
Congratulations!!!

For those of us still waiting for an update/answer, can someone help clarify my understanding of rolling admissions? Personally, my application was sent for review the week of 4/20 and I’m still waiting for a response :(

Thanks! and congratulations again!

Wow congratulations! What does your gpa look like and LOR’s ? I applied early April and I havent heard from back. And now I am concerned my app is not being displayed correctly.

Also prior to your call did they send you the email statinf theyd send you the acceptance by mail ?

I emailed & asked, but I would really like some stats on the matriculation rate of their students into the MD Program

I emailed & asked, but I would really like some stats on the matriculation rate of their students into the MD Program

I believe this is the first year they're doing interviews for the MD school. Before it was a bridge into their DO school.

Also prior to your call did they send you the email statinf theyd send you the acceptance by mail ?
They called me! After they told me I was accepted they said I would receive an email with the offer letter/packet and that the physical copies would be mailed soon.

Hey all, just finished the NSU MBS zoom open house. Here are the notes I jotted down. Feel free to expand upon these. There’s another Zoom open house this upcoming Wednesday, 4/22.

Key takeaways:
  1. This is a revamped program; now it has no guaranteed bridge into NSU grad programs, unlike the past MBS
  2. Performance guarantees interviews at NSU graduate program (see #6)
  3. Guaranteed interviews will take place after the fall semester
  4. AA program accepting up to 10 MBS students for interviews, but MD program not limiting the number of interviews for achieving MBS students
  5. NOT affiliated with NSU’s DO school (NSU DO postbacc certificate has different teachers; however, students encouraged to also apply to both NSU’s DO and MD programs while in the MBS)
  6. As long as you meet the academic requirements for each individual program, performance guarantees interviews at most NSU HPD graduate programs. Therefore, can simultaneously apply to and interview for NSU’s PA, AA, MD, Dental programs, etc… I say “most” programs because it looks like there’s no interview agreement with NSU’s DO program
  7. No formal shadowing component, but possible to shadow depending on whom program director can connect you with
  8. Most courses will be just MBS students enrolled, but if you take a business elective, then you will be with business students. Unique agreement with Dental program for top pre-dental MBS students to take Spring classes with dental students (sorry, I zoned out during this explanation, so perhaps someone else can clarify this point)
  9. Class schedule: every day, mostly at night, mostly online; program is "catered" to learning style, so there are options to attend morning in-person classes
  10. Histology is the only mandatory course with a lab component
  11. Seat deposit is due 2 weeks after acceptance
  12. Class size = 70 full-time students
  13. Unique curriculum: mandatory Kaplan prep course, mandatory professional/interview skills course

Covid impact: as of 4/18/20, the plan is to proceed as if the pandemic will not impact in-person registration and academic advisory meeting. However, program can be moved online since most classes already have online component.
  • registration, academic advisory: August 10 (tentative)
  • first day of classes: August 17 (tentative)
  • each student will be set up with MD advisor

For the those who are pre-med, in order to get an interview for NSU’s MD program, you need 3.0 pre-program GPA, 3.5 MBS GPA, and a 503 MCAT.

Thank so much for all of that info! This is gold.

They called me! After they told me I was accepted they said I would receive an email with the offer letter/packet and that the physical copies would be mailed soon.

Do you know how much the student fees are . I know each credit is $1100 but I’m not sure about the other fees...

Anyone who are attending NSU in the Fall 2020 started a Facebook page so we can stay connected?

Hey Guys, If you are attending NSU in fall 2020. I created a facebook group so we can stay connected! Just search NSU Masters of Biomedical Sciences 2020. See you there!

Wishing the best of luck to everyone who is still waiting on a decision. Hang in there guys !

Hi!

I saw some people answering questions on here about NSU's MBS program and I was wondering if you could answer a few of my questions? I was just accepted into the program!
What are the class sizes like? are most students from Florida? Anything, in particular, you really liked about this program? I'm trying to get a feel for the school considering I won't be able to tour before putting down my deposit.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Hi!

I saw some people answering questions on here about NSU's MBS program and I was wondering if you could answer a few of my questions? I was just accepted into the program!
What are the class sizes like? are most students from Florida? Anything, in particular, you really liked about this program? I'm trying to get a feel for the school considering I won't be able to tour before putting down my deposit.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
Class size is apparently 70.
I’m not sure about where students will be from.

There is a guaranteed interview with 3.5 GPA and 505 MCAT scores. You are required to take an Interview skills and test prep course. Also, you are given an advisor for the MD program.

I just created a group on FB for everyone who is attending to join - search NSU Masters in Biomedical Sciences 2020