NSU Master of Biomedical Science 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey so I just called, & she said that I’d have an update within the next week!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone that applied actually been rejected? Just wondering lol

Has anyone that applied actually been rejected? Just wondering lol
I called last week on Wednesday and Nikki was really nice and told me that next week (this week now) the committee would be meeting again, but she did not say when I would specifically be hearing back. Im not sure if there have been any rejections, I really doubt anyone would feel comfortable enough to put that out there, but I think it would be reasonable to assume some applications have been denied by this point.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I called last week on Wednesday and Nikki was really nice and told me that next week (this week now) the committee would be meeting again, but she did not say when I would specifically be hearing back. Im not sure if there have been any rejections, I really doubt anyone would feel comfortable enough to put that out there, but I think it would be reasonable to assume some applications have been denied by this point.

Yeah she told me that they’re meeting again this week. Idk I would really just like to know ASAP so I can start planning towards the move to Florida, but when I think about what was said above at the accepted students webinar they said they only filled half the class & the ones that didn’t pay would go on waitlist. If that’s the case send us acceptances!! Haha

Yeah she told me that they’re meeting again this week. Idk I would really just like to know ASAP so I can start planning towards the move to Florida, but when I think about what was said above at the accepted students webinar they said they only filled half the class & the ones that didn’t pay would go on waitlist. If that’s the case send us acceptances!! Haha
Yep I'm in the same boat as you! I'm sure the majority of us who have been told our application has been sent for review (especially since they said Monday was the deadline for students to pay for their seat) will hear back within the next 2 weeks

Do you know on what days they meet usually? Thanks!

Yep I'm in the same boat as you! I'm sure the majority of us who have been told our application has been sent for review (especially since they said Monday was the deadline for students to pay for their seat) will hear back within the next 2 weeks

Putting out super good vibes that we’ll hear *good news* by the end of this week or beginning of next!

When I called last week she said I’d know something by June 1st. So I’m still sitting in queue for review ::twiddles thumbs:: Ditto on the good vibes

When I called last week she said I’d know something by June 1st. So I’m still sitting in queue for review ::twiddles thumbs:: Ditto on the good vibes

Atp (at this point) they need to just gon head & accept us LOL I’m readyyyyyyy

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Sorry, I don't know actually! Based off previous people posting what day they hear back on it seems very variable, but its been Tuesdays and Thursdays from what is on this forum

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, given that this week is a 4-day work week and deposits were apparently due this past holiday-Monday, I'm not inclined to think any decision will be issued out this week. Nonetheless, given that next week is the first of the month, hopefully we'll get good news! Just have to make it through this week hopeful !

Hey if anyone knows, who are the admin over the actual MBS program? The only person I’ve ever communicated with is the admissions person, but who is the actual director of the program or their immediate staff? Just so I can do a bit of research.
Thank ya!

Hey if anyone knows, who are the admin over the actual MBS program? The only person I’ve ever communicated with is the admissions person, but who is the actual director of the program or their immediate staff? Just so I can do a bit of research.
Thank ya!
Dr. Demory is the program director

Yes. When I asked Nikki about any other fees she told me to reach out to Lillian Ramkissoon, but I can’t get in touch with her .
Were you able to get intouch with Lillian R? Was she the one leading the open house for the already accepted students? I just saw I have all the widgets on myshark account. I want to register but Ik we have register with an advisor first. Has anyone accepted already heard about the orientation date?

For those who have been accepted into the Biomedical Science program Fall 2020 and are looking to go to medical school, is it realistic to take the MCAT after graduating from the master's program in hopes of getting admission into a medical school Fall 2021?
Im personally taking it before the program bc they said interviews start the beginning of 2021. Plus they start looking at your performance at the end of the fall semester. You need your scores...

Most important things I got out of it were:
1) school is on track to have classes in person/orientation Aug 10
2) there is a dress code (business casual; no sneakers)
3) the prep course is mandatory, even if you take your DAT/MCAT/GRE before the semester begins and you're happy with your score (i.e., you don't have to retake the exam if you're happy with the score, but the course is still mandatory since the rest of our careers will be all about standardized tests)
4) most classes will be held late afternoon
5) you must have an iPad
6) if you're pre-med, your fall load will be biochem, physiology, histology, test prep, and a choice between microbio or anatomy as elective
7) faculty are willing to help with application prep
Test prep is offered winter only. Interview skills seminar is offered fall.

Alright y’all I had a 20 minute conversation with Nikki. She probably was flustered with me. Anywho I submitted my application in April and haven’t even gotten the updated emails about it being reviewed. Apparently my application was only sent 1.5 weeks ago to the committee. They will be meeting some time next week. Only denials sent were ones who don’t meet requirements. They are holding on to everyone else till the end essentially. She said they received over a thousand applications (which I don’t know if I believe the numbers). The whole process is receiving all the required docs, then she personally calculates grade point averages, then sent to the committee which then decide if you will be accepted or held onto. People who haven’t received updates, I would reach out because she couldn’t even find my application and was like “o wow you were only sent a week and a half ago “ in a confused tone.

Alright y’all I had a 20 minute conversation with Nikki. She probably was flustered with me. Anywho I submitted my application in April and haven’t even gotten the updated emails about it being reviewed. Apparently my application was only sent 1.5 weeks ago to the committee. They will be meeting some time next week. Only denials sent were ones who don’t meet requirements. They are holding on to everyone else till the end essentially. She said they received over a thousand applications (which I don’t know if I believe the numbers). The whole process is receiving all the required docs, then she personally calculates grade point averages, then sent to the committee which then decide if you will be accepted or held onto. People who haven’t received updates, I would reach out because she couldn’t even find my application and was like “o wow you were only sent a week and a half ago “ in a confused tone.

Thanks for the update! And I am sorry for the trouble you've encountered! This process has been cumbersome for a few of us. I'm still not clear on what she means by applications are being "held onto".. My understanding of rolling admissions is that applications are reviewed as they come and decisions are issued as such (acceptance, rejection, waitlisted). If our applications meet the requirements (being that we weren't issues rejection letters), why are our application still under review..? Also, did she happen to mention when the committee was meeting? I believe someone else in the forum mentioned updates were being issued as of June 1st

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the update! And I am sorry for the trouble you've encountered! This process has been cumbersome for a few of us. I'm still not clear on what she means by applications are being "held onto".. My understanding of rolling admissions is that applications are reviewed as they come and decisions are issued as such (acceptance, rejection, waitlisted). If our applications meet the requirements (being that we weren't issues rejection letters), why are our application still under review..? Also, did she happen to mention when the committee was meeting? I believe someone else in the forum mentioned updates were being issued as of June 1st
Yes that is what rolling admissions is SUPPOSED TO MEAN. However according to her, we are kinda sorta unofficially “waitlisted” she used the term very loosely. Basically they hold onto us till the very end if you meet the requirements according to Nikki.

Yes that is what rolling admissions is SUPPOSED TO MEAN. However according to her, we are kinda sorta unofficially “waitlisted” she used the term very loosely. Basically they hold onto us till the very end if you meet the requirements according to Nikki.

Holding qualified applications to the end:
1. Creates a bias between applications as the committee would need to decide “which application is stronger than the other”
2. Puts early applicants at a disadvantage as we could have used the time we spent waiting for a decision to strengthen our application to be more competitive than the next

I’m sure this is not the way “rolling admissions” was intended

1000?? Idkkkkkk, thats a bit of a huge number

I agre
Holding qualified applications to the end:
1. Creates a bias between applications as the committee would need to decide “which application is stronger than the other”
2. Puts early applicants at a disadvantage as we could have used the time we spent waiting for a decision to strengthen our application to be more competitive than the next

I’m sure this is not the way “rolling admissions” was intended
I agree. I’m simply stating what Nikki told me.

I agre

I agree. I’m simply stating what Nikki told me.

She mentioned the same to me and I didn’t understand then. I’m just venting my frustration. I tried inquiring how they would minimize bias and she didn’t say anything..

Ok just caught up on everything y’all typed.
A few thoughts:
1. Good vibes we hear GOOD news this upcoming week! Put it into prayer!
2. Yeah that 1000 can’t be true unless she’s combing the numbers with another program or even the med school applicants.
3. Holding on till the very end? Such a disservice to people bc people want to be able to plan toward the future, know if they have to look into other programs, etc.

I just really hope we know by this upcoming week, ESPECIALLY those of y’all who have been complete for months. I hate to be in the dark, but I do like that today there were at least some answers given.
Good vibrations only ~

Test prep is offered winter only. Interview skills seminar is offered fall.
Actually, based on the Zoom call Interview skills is offered in the Winter only and we are required to take the test prep course this coming Fall.

Im personally taking it before the program bc they said interviews start the beginning of 2021. Plus they start looking at your performance at the end of the fall semester. You need your scores...
I’m personally taking it after taking the REQUIRED test prep course because I am not applying until next year for Fall 2022.
If you do want to start Fall 2021, and are applying this cycle - Dr. Demory said you need to take your test before December. In the case of MCAT, September is the last month you can take it.

Were you able to get intouch with Lillian R? Was she the one leading the open house for the already accepted students? I just saw I have all the widgets on myshark account. I want to register but Ik we have register with an advisor first. Has anyone accepted already heard about the orientation date?
Dr. Demory was leading the Zoom call. They are still working on the times for classes so we cannot register yet.

orientation is the week before classes starts - no dates have been decided yet.

classes start on aug 17th

Guys, please don’t panic. I heard back exactly 4 weeks after my original forwarded to the committee call.

I believe if they have to think a little hard about your application, I’ve heard that they “ hold on” to your application until their next meeting.

Y’all got this!

Guys, please don’t panic. I heard back exactly 4 weeks after my original forwarded to the committee call.

I believe if they have to think a little hard about your application, I’ve heard that they “ hold on” to your application until their next meeting.

Y’all got this!
Hopefully we’re not waiting until July. My application was sent to committee more than 4 weeks ago so fingers crossed for good news after their next meeting

I’m personally taking it after taking the REQUIRED test prep course because I am not applying until next year for Fall 2022.
If you do want to start Fall 2021, and are applying this cycle - Dr. Demory said you need to take your test before December. In the case of MCAT, September is the last month you can take it.

This is good to plan towards as I want to enter in the Fall of 2021. Thank you for this info!

Hi everyone, I just spoke to Nikki; unfortunately my application is still under review, however, she insists the committee meets on a weekly basis but she was unable to say when. She also reiterated that my application can be "on hold" up until August, as August 1st is the deadline. Not the best news, but she did mention the class size increased from 70 students to 80. I encourage anyone to reach out regarding the status if still pending response, as a communication is not likely to be sent. Still wishing everyone the best of luck

Hi everyone, I just spoke to Nikki; unfortunately my application is still under review, however, she insists the committee meets on a weekly basis but she was unable to say when. She also reiterated that my application can be "on hold" up until August, as August 1st is the deadline. Not the best news, but she did mention the class size increased from 70 students to 80. I encourage anyone to reach out regarding the status if still pending response, as a communication is not likely to be sent. Still wishing everyone the best of luck

Omg.. Thank you for this

I also talked to Nikki today. Said the same as above that unless your application was unanimously accepted by the committee you’re pretty much “on hold / waitlisted” till the deadline of August 1st. I applied April 15 and my application was sent to the committee late April.

Also, I think it’s very probable more than 1000 student applied considering this program somewhat feeds into their MD school. I know multiple people applying for med schools and this program at the same time. Kinda sucks for people like me who need to prove themselves to even be considered by any med school.

I also talked to Nikki today. Said the same as above that unless your application was unanimously accepted by the committee you’re pretty much “on hold / waitlisted” till the deadline of August 1st. I applied April 15 and my application was sent to the committee late April.

Also, I think it’s very probable more than 1000 student applied considering this program somewhat feeds into their MD school. I know multiple people applying for med schools and this program at the same time. Kinda sucks for people like me who need to prove themselves to even be considered by any med school.

It's very unfortunate the way the process is being conducted, especially after Nikki herself said applicants would have a decision within a week of applying. And I would like to clarify that she emphasized, at least to me, that it is not a waitlist decision; waitlist would imply that my application was accepted contingent on seat availability. The "hold" that my application is on is neither a rejection nor acceptance nor waitlist decision.

She used the term "on hold" loosely and informed me no decision had been made (on my application)

It's very unfortunate the way the process is being conducted, especially after Nikki herself said applicants would have a decision within a week of applying. And I would like to clarify that she emphasized, at least to me, that it is not a waitlist decision; waitlist would imply that my application was accepted contingent on seat availability. The "hold" that my application is on is neither a rejection nor acceptance nor waitlist decision.

She used the term "on hold" loosely and informed me no decision had been made (on my application)

Obviously she didn’t mean “I’m waitlisted” but the committee is waiting to see if the applications coming in until August are more worthy of a seat.

I will call in 30 minutes, but this is..... I’m annoyed.. Till August 1st??
That’s so unfair, & more worthy of a seat?
Well let me call & ask I guess, brb

Ok just got off the phone
She said that there’s been an influx of applications these past few 2 weeks. A decision has not been made on my application, but when a decision is made I will receive an email & a letter, & if I am accepted I will receive a call in addition to that.
She said that even if the decision is to “hold on” for further review, we’ll get correspondence via mail & email.
I can tell she’s probably annoyed with all the calls, but the way the committee is going about reviewing apps is frustrating, & with the influx of apps that puts us who’s apps are already in there at a disadvantage.
Guess it’s nice that they increased it by 10 spots, but still..

This process is the complete opposite of what was described from the webinar. I remember the staff expressing it is a rolling admissions process, they encouraged us to apply early, and that they issue decisions as applications come in.

In efforts to create an equal opportunity for all, applications should be reviewed individually without influence or interference of other applications (current or future).

The committee should be asking themselves "is this specific applicant capable of succeeding in the program and why" rather than "is one applicant better suited for success than the other"

I really don't know how to move forward other than looking elsewhere to attend..

At the end of the day this is a business and this is how they lose money. Applicants will chose other programs that respond more quickly than August 1st. Also very inconsiderate of people that live in Northern Florida or out of state. Those people accepted last minute would have to scramble to move and find housing. Also I concur the students double applying is absolutely unfair to those that actually need a program like this to improve their applications to medical school. Rolling admissions and holding off because there’s an influx of people with ”potentially better stats” are two different things. I’m very frustrated by the whole thing.

Update: I've been doing research into other programs and found one that discloses the following:

"Highly competitive applicants may hear a decision within 2-4 weeks after completing their application. Please keep in mind that the committee may place some applications on hold as the applicant pool grows. Decisions can be made up until a month before the semester begins. The fall semester will start August 2020."

It seems as though NSU may be implementing this as well, I just wish they had disclosed that information sooner. Best of luck to everyone! I am officially putting NSU on the back-burner.

Update: I've been doing research into other programs and found one that discloses the following:

"Highly competitive applicants may hear a decision within 2-4 weeks after completing their application. Please keep in mind that the committee may place some applications on hold as the applicant pool grows. Decisions can be made up until a month before the semester begins. The fall semester will start August 2020."

It seems as though NSU may be implementing this as well, I just wish they had disclosed that information sooner. Best of luck to everyone! I am officially putting NSU on the back-burner.

NSU was my second choice program as another program I was interested in did nonsense.
I’m really hoping NSU comes through, but I’m itching to send an email to the person who heads the program bc this is unfair.
I don’t even live in Florida, I live states away & I would really like to move forward with the apartment process & everything...
Think I might send that email

It’s not technically a feeder program.

At the end of the day this is a business and this is how they lose money. Applicants will chose other programs that respond more quickly than August 1st. Also very inconsiderate of people that live in Northern Florida or out of state. Those people accepted last minute would have to scramble to move and find housing. Also I concur the students double applying is absolutely unfair to those that actually need a program like this to improve their applications to medical school. Rolling admissions and holding off because there’s an influx of people with ”potentially better stats” are two different things. I’m very frustrated by the whole thing.
Luckily I got accepted into others programs and have accepted one offer. The deposit was only $100. I’d still prob pick Nova over them solely based on location. But not if they wait the month. I can’t afford (time wise) to rely on their maybe.

You get an interview for the med school if you meet certain requirements no? Just wondering how many people who get interviews actually get in?

It’s a new program, so there’s no stats on that yet