NSU Master of Biomedical Science 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Class size is apparently 70.
I’m not sure about where students will be from.

There is a guaranteed interview with 3.5 GPA and 505 MCAT scores. You are required to take an Interview skills and test prep course. Also, you are given an advisor for the MD program.

I just created a group on FB for everyone who is attending to join - search NSU Masters in Biomedical Sciences 2020
Thank you so much! I appreciate it

Members don't see this ad.

Any new phone calls yet? Nikki said last week they were meeting again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heads up! The committee has made decisions. I spoke with Nikki today and she said shes drafting letters. I got in!

Reactions: 4 users
Heads up! The committee has made decisions. I spoke with Nikki today and she said shes drafting letters. I got in!
Congratulations!!! Hoping for good news for everyone waiting as well. The anxiety of waiting is getting the better of me. I’m tempted to call but I know Nikki is tired of my questions by now lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Congratulations!!! Hoping for good news for everyone waiting as well. The anxiety of waiting is getting the better of me. I’m tempted to call but I know Nikki is tired of my questions by now lol
Thank you. I understand. I hope so as well.

My app was just submitted for review, so ahhh I’ll be waiting for a bit haha!

Congratulations! If you don’t mind me asking, what did she mean by drafting letters? Is she making calls and then sending letters/emails?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! If you don’t mind me asking, what did she mean by drafting letters? Is she making calls and then sending letters/emails?
Yes, I believe so. I called her to ask questions and she told me that she was just about to start making calls bc the committee just finished meeting. Told me she was drafting letters to be sent out. Then said I was on the acceptance list and said congrats. Told me to look out for an email as well. So I guess they are making contact via phone and following up with an email/mail correspondence. I'm still waiting on the email.

Reactions: 1 users
I caved and called. She looked up my application and said it’s still with the committee so I have to wait a bit longer but she’ll have a decision by the next week for sure. She was very nice about it

They called me! After they told me I was accepted they said I would receive an email with the offer letter/packet and that the physical copies would be mailed soon.
Did you get your email yet?

When it comes to looking at places to live near NSU, what is everyone looking at? Ft. Lauderdale is so expensive yikes

When it comes to looking at places to live near NSU, what is everyone looking at? Ft. Lauderdale is so expensive yikes
Davie or Plantation. Ideally Davie, there are tons of apartment complexes minutes away (walking distance) from campus.

Davie or Plantation. Ideally Davie, there are tons of apartment complexes minutes away (walking distance) from campus.
Are you thinking of a 1/1? The apartments I’m seeing in that area are a minimum of 1400$ for a 1

Are you thinking of a 1/1? The apartments I’m seeing in that area are a minimum of 1400$ for a 1
Yes, unfortunately that seems to be the a average but I believe there is a facebook group for those admitted. Hoping there are others open to the possibility of a roommate

Hey everyone!

Congrats on your acceptance's

My application has been complete as of 1/2 weeks ago according to Nikki, but I never actually got the completed app phone call/email.... weird.

For those accepted, what kind of stats do you have? I'm getting nervous here :(

Is anyone considering a letter of intent or something like that?

To everyone who is still waiting on a reply, don't fret too much. I found out they are still filling seats for the fall semester. I just finished a zoom call...I believe it was another open house. Not certain if it was just for those accepted or not. Worldwidemich I shared my stats on a prev thread...I had a 2.99 bachelor degree gpa (which was a long time ago). since then I've done alot of post grad work (non degree seeking) while working and I ended with a 3.8. Due to covid I'm rescheduled to take the MCAT in August.
What do you mean about letter of intent? You should have def gotten a completion call saying your app is being sent for review. We all did...

Hey everyone!

Congrats on your acceptance's

My application has been complete as of 1/2 weeks ago according to Nikki, but I never actually got the completed app phone call/email.... weird.

For those accepted, what kind of stats do you have? I'm getting nervous here :(

Is anyone considering a letter of intent or something like that?
When I called Nikki said they’re only about half full and there are plenty of seats left. I wouldn’t worry too much. Maybe you can try giving her a call if you don’t hear anything by next Friday. Also check your voicemail because I missed the call about sending my application for review and they left me a message.

FYI: at today's MBS zoom meeting, the admins said they are still filling up the student roster. The accepted students who don't pay the deposit by Monday will be moved to the waiting list, which I assume will free up some spots to those waiting to hear back.

Edit: half full sounds about right; there were 41 people on today's zoom for accepted students......so minus the 4-5 NSU officials, the remainder must be the accepted first half.

Double edit: nice seeing the faces of some of my future classmates :)

Last edited:
Hey guys!
I got the call of completion & moving on to the admissions committee on Tuesday 05/19.
Hoping to have an answer (hopefully acceptance) by next week bc based on the thread it looks like they are pretty fast at making decisions, although the people who have been waiting for a few months does scare me.
Glad to know they’ve only filled half the seats as well. Leaves a lot of room & with good LORs & personal essays I believe anything is possible!
I’ve been moving as if I’ve already been accepted & have found an apartment that’s probably the cheapest & honestly pretty good. It’s off campus student apartments though (not ran by NSU) & since I just graduated undergrad a few weeks ago (woot woot) it works great for me. Those that are older would probs not like it, but yeah, Florida is super expensive compared to where I am now!!

I was just wondering for this
Program, does anyone know out of the students who received interview for the medical school, how many actually got into NSU medical school after graduating from the program?

I was just wondering for this
Program, does anyone know out of the students who received interview for the medical school, how many actually got into NSU medical school after graduating from the program?
This is a new program so there are no stats yet.

@FutureDoc0126 I don't have facebook but couldn't seem to find it when I logged onto my sister's account. Is there a GroupMe or something instead??

I still can’t find the Facebook group . Can someone post the link please

Also I wasn’t able to attend the zoom meeting b/c of work. Anything important I should know ?

Also I wasn’t able to attend the zoom meeting b/c of work. Anything important I should know ?

Most important things I got out of it were:
1) school is on track to have classes in person/orientation Aug 10
2) there is a dress code (business casual; no sneakers)
3) the prep course is mandatory, even if you take your DAT/MCAT/GRE before the semester begins and you're happy with your score (i.e., you don't have to retake the exam if you're happy with the score, but the course is still mandatory since the rest of our careers will be all about standardized tests)
4) most classes will be held late afternoon
5) you must have an iPad
6) if you're pre-med, your fall load will be biochem, physiology, histology, test prep, and a choice between microbio or anatomy as elective
7) faculty are willing to help with application prep

Reactions: 3 users
3) the prep course is mandatory, even if you take your DAT/MCAT/GRE before the semester begins and you're happy with your score (i.e., you don't have to retake the exam if you're happy with the score, but the course is still mandatory since the rest of our careers will be all about standardized tests)
5) you must have an iPad
6) if you're pre-med, your fall load will be biochem, physiology, histology, test prep, and a choice between microbio or anatomy as elective

Just curious, is the dress code you mentioned just for the orientation which is on August 10th or for the school? When I was looking through old MBS students they had to wear scrubs at all times in the med school, could be bc of the switch from the DO school to the MD one, but if you know can you share please!

5) you must have an iPad
Thank you so much !

Just curious, is the dress code you mentioned just for the orientation which is on August 10th or for the school? When I was looking through old MBS students they had to wear scrubs at all times in the med school, could be bc of the switch from the DO school to the MD one, but if you know can you share please!

Oohh, great question. It wasn't specified. Having spent the last few years at an academic medical center, I only saw students in business casual attire when they had small group with their faculty presider or when they had patient interactions. But I've been lurking around SDN and have seen other schools require business casual dress code. Then there's the dress code posted by NSU KPCOM: https://www.nova.edu/hpdinterview/forms/do-dress-code.pdf

I understand a dress code for lecture or anything involving face time with faculty, but I'm not a fan of being told you to have to adhere to dress code when you're in the library (love studying in sweats and scrubs). :shrug:

Oohh, great question. It wasn't specified. Having spent the last few years at an academic medical center, I only saw students in business casual attire when they had small group with their faculty presider or when they had patient interactions. But I've been lurking around SDN and have seen other schools require business casual dress code. Then there's the dress code posted by NSU KPCOM: https://www.nova.edu/hpdinterview/forms/do-dress-code.pdf

I understand a dress code for lecture or anything involving face time with faculty, but I'm not a fan of being told you to have to adhere to dress code when you're in the library (love studying in sweats and scrubs). :shrug:

Ahhhhhhhh!! Well when I clicked on the link you provided it said business casual ORRRR scrubs, & after reading your reply I can tell you & I would probs both choose scrubs haha.
& congrats on the acceptance btw!

After doing some research I found the dress code, & it’s def business casual but only in the labs one must wear scrubs.
Stock up on your loafers, & here is the allopathic school’s handbook in case anyone was interested!

Attachments

• 8011330C-45AB-485E-9973-E0CA31E74A6E.png
    8011330C-45AB-485E-9973-E0CA31E74A6E.png
    212.3 KB · Views: 80
After doing some research I found the dress code, & it’s def business casual but only in the labs one must wear scrubs.
Stock up on your loafers, & here is the allopathic school’s handbook in case anyone was interested!

Nice find!

I had a friend graduate from their AA program. She said that it was business casual only during class and clinicals. And she said they “stretched out” that definition and got away with certain dress items.

$1400-1500/month is definitely the cheapest you’ll find in South Florida without a roommate. I live in a one bedroom and it’s $1490/mo. Which is pretty typical down here. There’s a place right across from campus called “Centro at Davie” I believe they start at $1400 for 1bd 1ba and yeah Fort Lauderdale is crazy expensive!

Hey, I deleted the group because there is an official group created by NSU, an email should have been sent by Nikki to join the group.
If you didn't get an invite please email her.

@FutureDoc0126 I don't have facebook but couldn't seem to find it when I logged onto my sister's account. Is there a GroupMe or something instead??
Hey, I deleted the group because there is an official group created by NSU, an email should have been sent by Nikki to join the group.
If you didn't get an invite please email her.

I attended the Zoom call and the director said business casual is required as dress code.

I got the call that my application was sent for review last Tuesday. Just wondering do they also send you an email to confirm that? I tried logging into my application today but the website seems frozen. Not sure if anyone else has had this issue? Thanks!

Did anyone take the DAT before applying? I am contemplating if I should take the DAT in august and apply for the Spring term or wait until the summer of 2021

I got the call that my application was sent for review last Tuesday. Just wondering do they also send you an email to confirm that? I tried logging into my application today but the website seems frozen. Not sure if anyone else has had this issue? Thanks!
No email just a phone call

Well guess I’m gonna go knocking on there door tomorrow via phone LOL. It looked like most only waited a week or 2, so hopefully they have something for me tomorrow!
I’m debating on calling Friday or Monday if I don’t hear anything by then. Let us know if she updates you.

We’re ya able to get an update from them? Nervously waiting as well haha
Well guess I’m gonna go knocking on there door tomorrow via phone LOL. It looked like most only waited a week or 2, so hopefully they have something for me tomorrow!