NSU Master of Biomedical Science 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Update: 3 students (including myself) have rescinded our acceptances due to a lack of financial aid. Apparently tuition is above $35,000 (not including fees) after aid. So I will be attending a funded M.S. in Chemical Biology in NJ.

Good luck to all!

Congrats on the other masters program!
When I talked to one student from last years program they said that fafsa covered everything plus housing money, is that not the case?

Members don't see this ad.

Are loans an option? I believe financial aid covers $20,500 for masters programs. And most are $30,000+.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah now I’m confused lol, I thought when you got the grad plus loan it would cover everything else? If anyone could shed some light on this

Yeah now I’m confused lol, I thought when you got the grad plus loan it would cover everything else? If anyone could shed some light on this

The fafsa unsubsidized is $20,500. You can also apply for the GRAD PLUS Loans, which you need to do a fafsa app for anyways. The grad plus loans helps pay for the remainder of the tuition plus any COA (housing, books, etc). So I think that’s where the mix up is.

Members don't see this ad :)
The fafsa unsubsidized is $20,500. You can also apply for the GRAD PLUS Loans, which you need to do a fafsa app for anyways. The grad plus loans helps pay for the remainder of the tuition plus any COA (housing, books, etc). So I think that’s where the mix up is.

Ahhh ok, so maybe the amount of loans was a no for some.
Yeah for me, the loans are an “investment,” not too worried bout em, as long as I get in & make it to my goal of MD/DO!

Ahhh ok, so maybe the amount of loans was a no for some.
Yeah for me, the loans are an “investment,” not too worried bout em, as long as I get in & make it to my goal of MD/DO!

That’s how I feel!!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how many students have been accepted?
I called Nikki last week and she advised that my app is still under review. Super concerning since others have been accepted in like 3ish weeks after submitting. What is going on here :(

Someone called a few days ago & she said “she’s not allowed to say,” but I think 2 or 3 weeks ago it was half, but they did increase the amount of spots by 10 bringing the total class to 80.
You’re very right, there’s someone on the thread from earlier who was accepted in 4 days. It’s nice to know we’re still being considered, but this is unfair & annoying lmao.
People who submitted way after us are probably being accepted before us which makes no sense.
All we can do is continue to wait, pray, & occasionally call & ask LOL

I spoke to Nikki last Friday and she told me that more decisions should be sent out after June 19, when the deposit is due... but I just saw earlier on the thread that people were informed that the deposit deadline is due August 1? Guess we'll find out :unsure:

I spoke to Nikki last Friday and she told me that more decisions should be sent out after June 19, when the deposit is due... but I just saw earlier on the thread that people were informed that the deposit deadline is due August 1? Guess we'll find out :unsure:

June 19th is Juneteenth, maybe it’ll be my lucky day LOL.
I believe August 1st is the deadline for the application, but you have 2 weeks to pay your deposit. Or at least you’re supposed to.
Some interesting news though: My school sends transcripts through Parchment, so when someone opens them I get an email notification & I just got that this morning, so maybe movement is nearrrrrrr

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I don’t believe anything she says anymore.

Lol

I’m sorry I just don’t understand how someone is so inconsistent with something of this caliber. Like people are holding off on things because of this. I can go on but I’m shutting up I’m over it as you can see

I’m sorry I just don’t understand how someone is so inconsistent with something of this caliber. Like people are holding off on things because of this. I can go on but I’m shutting up I’m over it as you can see

LET’S TALK ABOUT IT!!!!
You can’t tell me one thing, you another, & then someone else a whole other thing. Maybe they aren’t aware of this thread, but we’re all talking.
I just pray I get an acceptance after this supposed June 19th date she put out.
I can’t afford to just wait till August 1st when y’all accepted people in a matter of a week. It’s unfair to those of us not from Florida.

Reactions: 2 users

I understand how you feel.. I thought about calling but then again I’m like I’m sure nothing has changed. It’s def inconsiderate of them esp for those who live out of state or have other offers.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are loans an option? I believe financial aid covers $20,500 for masters programs. And most are $30,000+.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I thought the max u can borrow as a medical or health student is double the amount...around 40k per yr if ur eligible. I havent received my award info yet so idk where I stand. Either way, I still plan on attending bc its closest to my home.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but I thought the max u can borrow as a medical or health student is double the amount...around 40k per yr if ur eligible. I havent received my award info yet so idk where I stand. Either way, I still plan on attending bc its closest to my home.
I'm not sure if you're wrong with that, but from my understanding, FAFSA's max offer is 20,500, and to make up the difference for the rest of the programs cost after the 20,500 is applied you apply for a Gad Plus Loan and the Grad Plus loan will give you the difference. So lets say NSU's program costs a total of 50k a year. After FAFSA aid you still need to apply for 29,500 in aid. That 29,500 comes from your aid request when you apply for the Grad Plus loan.

For those admitted: have they said anything about what they’re doing regarding COVID yet ? Such as online classes or split the amount of people per class (like some people go MW, others TueThurs) etc

How much is cost of attendance?

Might not be the same, but Nova’s MD Program’s COA is $55,671 for in state & $62,390 for out of state. Could be less for us, but I’d assume it’s around these numbers.

Might not be the same, but Nova’s MD Program’s COA is $55,671 for in state & $62,390 for out of state. Could be less for us, but I’d assume it’s around these numbers.

Do u know the COA for the masters?

The masters is $1,100 per credit & total of 30 credits; therefore cost would be roughly $33,000

How about the estimated for housing, books, etc.?

How about the estimated for housing, books, etc.?

That would vary significantly per individual.. Off-campus housing in South Florida is about 1.4k per month for a 1/1 and I’m not sure about the books

That would vary significantly per individual.. Off-campus housing in South Florida is about 1.4k per month for a 1/1 and I’m not sure about the books

Some schools calculate an estimated cost of attendance for student loans purposes. So I think they use an avg, just wasn’t sure if it’s posted or if anyone knew.

Some schools calculate an estimated cost of attendance for student loans purposes. So I think they use an avg, just wasn’t sure if it’s posted or if anyone knew.

Right lol, no I don’t know the masters COA, but what they calculated for the MDs program COA is that $55,671 for in state & $62,390 for out of state, so I’m assuming the masters COA will be around that.
& to what @student1017 said yes it varies by where one lives, but schools have an “estimated” COA for financial aid purposes if that makes sense.

Right lol, no I don’t know the masters COA, but what they calculated for the MDs program COA is that $55,671 for in state & $62,390 for out of state, so I’m assuming the masters COA will be around that.
& to what @student1017 said yes it varies by where one lives, but schools have an “estimated” COA for financial aid purposes if that makes sense.

Ahhhhh yikes! The other program I was looking at has a COA of $70K just for the masters.

Just got a weird email, but in summary it said that my application is still being reviewed by the committee lmao

Just got a weird email, but in summary it said that my application is still being reviewed by the committee lmao
Worry not, some of us received that same email about 1 month ago. I received mine and inquired, Nikki said it was merely a communication that no decision has been made and your app is till in review

*Also, some that have received that same email have later been accepted. But you can always call and inquire! It would be interesting to see what she says

Worry not, some of us received that same email about 1 month ago. I received mine and inquired, Nikki said it was merely a communication that no decision has been made and your app is till in review

*Also, some that have received that same email have later been accepted. But you can always call and inquire! It would be interesting to see what she says

I received that email a cpl of months ago. It’s just worrisome they’re still “reviewing” this late in the game. What are they waiting on???

I received that email a cpl of months ago. It’s just worrisome they’re still “reviewing” this late in the game. What are they waiting on???

My understanding is that the committee reserved the right to “hold” and application till the end of the cycle and highly competitive applications can receive decisions within days.

As far as what they’re waiting for is probably more competitive apps.. We can be notified about a decision as late as August

My understanding is that the committee reserved the right to “hold” and application till the end of the cycle and highly competitive applications can receive decisions within days.

As far as what they’re waiting for is probably more competitive apps.. We can be notified about a decision as late as August

Yeah technically till August, but that‘s veryyyyyy dangerous bc idk about y’all but I have another option, not my first choice, but I can’t risk missing that waiting for this & God forbid not get it. Need to find a “respectful” way to let them know “hey, I have another option, & not to rush y’all, but if you’d like to take a chance on me now’s the time to do it bud” bc this is alottttttt

Yea I got that like last week.

Idk whats going on and why they're taking so long.

That email sounded more like them giving me the finger and sending me elsewhere, while at the same time telling me to wait lol.

Man. I’ve been praying long & hard about this, so I rebuke that. Whatever is making them not see me, let them truly begin to see how great of an applicant I truly am, we all truly are.
Waiting till August in hopes of “more competitive” applicants does a disservice to us who first chose this program. Alas, all we can do is continue to pray & wait

Yeah technically till August, but that‘s veryyyyyy dangerous bc idk about y’all but I have another option, not my first choice, but I can’t risk missing that waiting for this & God forbid not get it. Need to find a “respectful” way to let them know “hey, I have another option, & not to rush y’all, but if you’d like to take a chance on me now’s the time to do it bud” bc this is alottttttt
I’ve actually done this! I contacted Nikki and sought her advice, she told me to secure a seat if I’ve already received a decision elsewhere

For those admitted: have they said anything about what they’re doing regarding COVID yet ? Such as online classes or split the amount of people per class (like some people go MW, others TueThurs) etc
To my understanding we will be meeting face to face with social distancing, etc. There was a mention of opting to do online but for tests and I believe labs u have to come to campus.

I’ve actually done this! I contacted Nikki and sought her advice, she told me to secure a seat if I’ve already received a decision elsewhere

Oh yeah my seats already secure, but the program starts in the beginning of August lol. That’s like playing with Fire, especially when it comes to packing everything, moving across the country, & getting a lease!

Ok, so I double checked the fb page and they said some classes may be offered online and some not but attendance is required for all. They said all exams are given in person.

Ahhhhh. So annoying. Lol

Oh yeah my seats already secure, but the program starts in the beginning of August lol. That’s like playing with Fire, especially when it comes to packing everything, moving across the country, & getting a lease!

If you don’t mind me asking, where did you accept? I accepted too but I’m also holding off on finding a place as well. Did you give urself a personal deadline?

If you don’t mind me asking, where did you accept? I accepted too but I’m also holding off on finding a place as well. Did you give urself a personal deadline?

Same here. I accepted another offer but am unsure of how long I'll wait to hear back from nova...orientation for the other program is July 30th and classes start August 3rd so I don't think I can wait much longer! :(

Same here. I accepted another offer but am unsure of how long I'll wait to hear back from nova...orientation for the other program is July 30th and classes start August 3rd so I don't think I can wait much longer! :(

My program starts late Aug. So I’ll try to wait another week or so. I don’t want to lose out on good apts either. I think I know where you’re accepted lol

My program starts late Aug. So I’ll try to wait another week or so. I don’t want to lose out on good apts either. I think I know where you’re accepted lol

I hear ya. From what I gather, the last decisions were sent out June 4th, which means that tomorrow is the last day those students can submit the deposit. At the same time, when I talked to Nikki last week she said that June 19th was the deposit deadline, so I'm hoping that we'll hear something next week...so discouraging though. :(

I hear ya. From what I gather, the last decisions were sent out June 4th, which means that tomorrow is the last day those students can submit the deposit. At the same time, when I talked to Nikki last week she said that June 19th was the deposit deadline, so I'm hoping that we'll hear something next week...so discouraging though. :(

It really is! At least we have back ups though!

A program in Cali!
Personal deadline ugh I really don’t know, trying to hold out as long as possible, but June is almost finished. Probs mid July, can’t keep holding on any longer after that. Then there’s the grad plus loan app, I’m trying to wait till I know officially where I’m going before I fill it out, but again this is holding me back lol

No frrrrrrr at least we have backups, but whew next week, pleaseeeeeeeee let me hear something good!!!

Whew, yessssss I feel you with the good apts. Already found a great apartment in Davie, but obviously I can’t sign the lease yet lmao

A program in Cali!
Personal deadline ugh I really don’t know, trying to hold out as long as possible, but June is almost finished. Probs mid July, can’t keep holding on any longer after that. Then there’s the grad plus loan app, I’m trying to wait till I know officially where I’m going before I fill it out, but again this is holding me back lol

Ohhh okay!! Yeah, we’re in the same boat. Not sure when And how grad plus would work if I change my mind with the programs.

Whew, yessssss I feel you with the good apts. Already found a great apartment in Davie, but obviously I can’t sign the lease yet lmao

Lol yeah, I haven’t brought myself to look at apts yet.

Ohhh okay!! Yeah, we’re in the same boat. Not sure when And how grad plus would work if I change my mind with the programs.

Yeah I’m not sure either & I don’t wanna do it for one school then turn around & have to go through hoops to switch schools.
As far as apartments, I just looked to make sure I could move toward signing a lease as soon as I get an A rather than waiting ya know, lol

Does anyone happen to know who the program director is? I can't seem to find it on the website

On my Financial aid page;
COA is $68,718