NUI Galway

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kahutchinson

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So, I decided that I am gonna go to the National University of Ireland, Galway...I applied to both Trinity and Galway and I was recently accepted to Galway. I paid my deposit on Monday and will do the doctor follow up appointment shortly.

Anyone else on here going to go to Galway too? I would love to meet N. Americans in advance before going to this school... I am also looking for a roomate for the student housing.

Cheers,
Katie

Members don't see this ad.

I have paid my deposit for Galway also - going to get my medical check up soon - I am just waiting for this semester's final grades to come out

I was given the condition of 'achieving approx 80% in final semester 09/10'

I'm quite sure this won't be a problem.

Better get started on meeting the visa requirements soon - my sister narrowly got her visa in time to attend LSE in london.

I am probably going to Galway this June to check it out and maybe find a place to live.

Very exciting - I'm from canada/ontario/toronto -

Hey guys,

I'm attending Galway med in Sept - I too am looking for a roommate and am interested in connecting with some of the n.american students.

I'm from Toronto too! My email is [email protected] for anyone interested-

Members don't see this ad :)
my email is [email protected]

I was wondering if people wanted to talk a bit about the application for the visa for ireland - at one point on the website for national affairs it says we need to prove we (or our sponsors) have money for the tuition for the first year + 7000 euros, and these funds for each subsequent year this sounds like we need to prove we have about 200,000 euros before we even get a visa for the first year

add me to msn and maybe we can help each other figure this stuff out

my email is [email protected]

I was wondering if people wanted to talk a bit about the application for the visa for ireland - at one point on the website for national affairs it says we need to prove we (or our sponsors) have money for the tuition for the first year + 7000 euros, and these funds for each subsequent year this sounds like we need to prove we have about 200,000 euros before we even get a visa for the first year

add me to msn and maybe we can help each other figure this stuff out

A letter from a bank manager saying you have a supported plan in place to fund your years here is sufficient. No one gets hung up on that requirement. The proccess of getting your ID card is a definitely a pain as the office is seriously understaffed. But unless you're from the developing world no one runs into technical problems with visas.

alright excellent, and thanks for replying jnuts!

i was misled by the international affairs office website - the visa requirements i was looking do not apply to canadians/americans

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

My email is [email protected]. I am happy to answer questions, ask questions, and meet people before going to Galway. :)

What is everyone doing for housing? I can't decide between getting an apartment with a roomate or applying for a spot at one of the student housing communities.

Katie

looks like student housing is pretty much taken up - there are some that offer full accommodation, gort ard for guys, and ros geal for girls, but i haven't heard back from the people running those about price or anything

centrepoint is a bit out of the way, but they still have rooms available

Hey Everyone!

I am new to this thread.

I am getting a few conflicting reports. Some places I hear that med students need a visa to go to school in Ireland, but the NUI Galway website even says that med students entering from Canada do not need a visa to go to school there. Should I get one just in case??

Also, I am in the process of looking into housing and was wondering if anyone was looking for roommates (on or off campus)? My e-mail is [email protected] if you want to get in contact with me!

Katie (not the same Katie earlier in the thread!)

You don't need a visa if you're from Canada or United States.

You don't need a visa if you're from Canada or United States.

True, you don't need to do anything before you get here. BUT you will need to have certain documents in your hand (read in your hand luggage) when you arrive at customs.

"You should have all documentation relating to your studies on your person when coming through immigration. In other words, you should have your letter of offer of a place at the school, or educational institution ready for inspection at immigration. You can read more in our document on permission to land in Ireland."

It is not unheard of for the Customs Officers to also bother people from countries that don't need to have a visa to study in Ireland for the other documents that you would need to send in with a student visa application. Though they likely won't ask for any of these, if you would like to ensure that no matter what happens you'll get through customs popping a copy of the following into your hand baggage might be a good idea:

Letter of acceptance from a recognised school/college/university in Ireland confirming that you have been accepted on a course of study. This course of study must be full-time (lasting an academic year) and have a minimum of 15 hours per week study time.
Evidence of your academic ability to pursue the chosen course through the English language (unless it is an English language course).
Evidence that the fees for the course have been paid in full.
Evidence that you have enough funds (€7,000) to maintain yourself for the initial part of your stay.
Evidence that you or a sponsor have access to at least €7,000 for each subsequent year of your studies, in addition to the course fees for each of those years.
Evidence that you have private medical insurance
An explanation of any gaps in your educational history
Confirmation that you intend to return to your country of permanent residence when you leave Ireland

Visa Details:
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/travel-to-ireland/student_visas

AND when you are in Ireland, each year you will need to register with the Guards (police). It costs 150euro and, in Dublin at least, is a real pain. Wherever you are don't leave registering to the last week you're allowed.

Registration Details:
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/c.../registration-of-non-eea-nationals-in-irelandhttp://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/travel-to-ireland/student_visas

Last edited:
Hello, everyone congrats on getting in. I am applying fall 2011 to Galway, and Trinity (the two schools that don't harp on the mcat). If you dont mind me asking what was your background gpa and clinical history. I finished up with a BA in bio, my under grad GPA was 3.678, I work in one ER and as an paid EMT and a volunteer EMT for five years. My application has been submitted on 8/23/2010. Any insight would greatly help.

Can you tell us about your experiences at NUIG? Would you recommend the school?

Thanks