Number of applicants question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedman

Future dentist, I hope
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just read a statistic that I doi not fully understand. According to the ADA, and I dont have the exact number sin front of me, the total number of applicants to dental school is slightly over 10000, and the number accepted is a little under 5000, i think it worked out to 47%. how is htis possible? I know the statistics may be skewed with peopel applying to many diffenrt schools, but if every school has well over 1000 apps for about 100 spots, how does this add up?

Members don't see this ad.

premedman said:
I just read a statistic that I doi not fully understand. According to the ADA, and I dont have the exact number sin front of me, the total number of applicants to dental school is slightly over 10000, and the number accepted is a little under 5000, i think it worked out to 47%. how is htis possible? I know the statistics may be skewed with peopel applying to many diffenrt schools, but if every school has well over 1000 apps for about 100 spots, how does this add up?

multiple acceptances for one applicant

nothen2do said:
multiple acceptances for one applicant

I wonder if anyone knows the successful rate of applying to dental school. Say one person applys, what's the percentage of chance that he/she will be accepted once.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone provide their latest AADSAS#? I wonder if it has reached the 10K mark. Curious.

wimmcs said:
Can anyone provide their latest AADSAS#? I wonder if it has reached the 10K mark. Curious.

I submitted my application on 2/1. My ID was 91**.

Ruprick said:
I submitted my application on 2/1. My ID was 91**.

Thanks... then perhaps it will reach the 10K mark... wow!!

10000 apps for around 5000 spots doesnt seem that competitive, this is what confuses the hell out of me. can anyone acclount for this?

There are in less the 5000 spots, about 4200-something when I last checked. However, the acceptance rate is NOT 4200/10000 = ~40%.

This mathematical approch neglets the fact that a significant number of schools (particularly in the South, UW) only let in thier own state residents. For them, the national competition between all appliants is irrelevant b/c its against only people in thier own state. This carries over to other schools (like louisville) that admit about half out of state applicants. So while while the instate people are competing against the couple of hundred people applying in thier state who actually want to stay in state, the rest of the lets say 1-2000 applicants are fighting over just 40 spots. pretty darn competative if you ask me.

The situation only worsens as far as competition goes in private schools like USC, which will see over 3000 applications for like 125 spots. That comes out to only a 4% acceptance rate, a full oder of magnitude lower than the average rate (40%) if you just compare total applicants to total spots.

Profchaos said:
I wonder if anyone knows the successful rate of applying to dental school. Say one person applys, what's the percentage of chance that he/she will be accepted once.

That would be interesting to know, but I honestly think there are just too many variables to account for. Not to mention, the process becomes pretty subjective once interviewing starts.

eran76 said:
There are in less the 5000 spots, about 4200-something when I last checked. However, the acceptance rate is NOT 4200/10000 = ~40%.

This mathematical approch neglets the fact that a significant number of schools (particularly in the South, UW) only let in thier own state residents. For them, the national competition between all appliants is irrelevant b/c its against only people in thier own state. This carries over to other schools (like louisville) that admit about half out of state applicants. So while while the instate people are competing against the couple of hundred people applying in thier state who actually want to stay in state, the rest of the lets say 1-2000 applicants are fighting over just 40 spots. pretty darn competative if you ask me.

The situation only worsens as far as competition goes in private schools like USC, which will see over 3000 applications for like 125 spots. That comes out to only a 4% acceptance rate, a full oder of magnitude lower than the average rate (40%) if you just compare total applicants to total spots.

True statement except for the end, since most schools offer more spots than they have. Im pretty sure USC offers twice as many spots for their class. Not everyone is going to attend due to other acceptances. I think UCSF offered 138 acceptances for 82 spots last year (info from their website).

eran76 said:

I definitely agree that the acceptance rate is not 40%. But I think the ratio of matriculants/applicants is a good number to look at to assess how competitive it is. If the numbers really are 4200/10000, then it looks like only 42 applicants out of 100 end up matriculating at dental school for that year.

Interestingly, this 42% number is lower than med school applicants. Please not that I am NOT trying to initiate a med vs. dent debate. In 2004, there were 16,400 spots in US allopathic medical schools and 35,700 applicants. That ratio works out to 45.9% (16400/35700 x 100) - which is higher than our "unofficial" 42% number. Very interesting...

I was just going to add something to the mix, even if AADSAS is up to 10,000 there are more applicants than that. The schools that do not require students to go through AADSAS or those that flat out do not use it aren't included in that number.

packrbackr said:
I was just going to add something to the mix, even if AADSAS is up to 10,000 there are more applicants than that. The schools that do not require students to go through AADSAS or those that flat out do not use it aren't included in that number.

i got accepted to 8 schools out of 8. 2 didnt interview me.

Maybe that helps screw the results....

Members don't see this ad :)
lunguv said:
U R SUCH A BAD ASS! ;)

I guess so since two of the schools that rejected your ass accepted me.

Should have told me and I would have put a good word in for you.

Hell, I didnt even tell them I wasnt comin. Guess they fould out when they didnt get anymore $$$$ from me.

vertical bite said:

Hell, I didnt even tell them I wasnt comin. Guess they fould out when they didnt get anymore $$$$ from me.

Do you add anything of substance to this forum? Constantly patting yourself on the back. :rolleyes:

Ruprick said:
Do you add anything of substance to this forum? Constantly patting yourself on the back. :rolleyes:

Agree... pathetic :sleep:

Profchaos said:

Success rate is 1/3 according to Kaplan.

wimmcs said:
Agree... pathetic :sleep:

your posts make me want to poop and go to :sleep:

they suck real baddddddd

vertical bite said:

Wow there...calm it down little buddy ;). We all know u are a runaway model, double major, NCAA basketball player, 4.0 gpa, 24 DAT, and overall winner at life!! Not to mention you got into all 8 schools. If I knew you in real life I would give you a big Cookie for all your accomplishments. I have a feeling you might be lacking in another department though, ya u know what i mean. Is that why you have to keep hooking up with girls, hard to hang on to them ehh stud? ;) Lol im just playing...but seriously! :smuggrin:

lunguv said:
Wow there...calm it down little buddy ;). We all know u are a runaway model, double major, NCAA basketball player, 4.0 gpa, 24 DAT, and overall winner at life!! Not to mention you got into all 8 schools. If I knew you in real life I would give you a big Cookie for all your accomplishments. I have a feeling you might be lacking in another department though, ya u know what i mean. Is that why you have to keep hooking up with girls, hard to hang on to them ehh stud? ;) Lol im just playing...but seriously! :smuggrin:

HAHAHA .. Amen! But really, when is he going to get the point. It's like speaking to a child, he'll just say you comment are boring and goes :sleep: like he did above.

Let's just hope we all don't run into a "vertical bite" in dental school. Those kind belongs in kindergarten. :laugh: hmm perhaps he did get a 4.0 ... in Special ED? i'm playing.. do continue with your bragging :smuggrin:

This vertical bite kid is such a little b!tch. If I ever met him, I'd for sure love to break some teeth.

vertical bite said:

You mentioned in another thread you got into 8 schools, 2 without an interview. I only know of people getting into NYU w/o an interview, what was the your second school?

ajy1013 said:
This vertical bite kid is such a little b!tch. If I ever met him, I'd for sure love to break some teeth.

Damn your office will suffer, we're in the business of fixing teeth not breaking them!!! don;t let people frustrate you that easily.... ;)

Nendo21 said:
Damn your office will suffer, we're in the business of fixing teeth not breaking them!!! don;t let people frustrate you that easily.... ;)

But if you break them on a Saturday, you can fix them on Monday to make the $$

premedman said:
10000 apps for around 5000 spots doesnt seem that competitive, this is what confuses the hell out of me. can anyone acclount for this?

Those stats reflect every applicant and every position available. Nobody applies to every school, much less everybody applying to every school.

ItsGavinC said:
Those stats reflect every applicant and every position available. Nobody applies to every school, much less everybody applying to every school.

however if you applied to every SINGLE school, wouldnt your chances be 50% of getting in? if lets say your stats met the requirement?

Nendo21 said:

You're right. But he falls under the .1% of people that I would not mind 'mistreating.' :D