Numbers of letter of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Number of letters

Votes: 1 5.9%

Votes: 1 5.9%

Votes: 5 29.4%

• 6+

• Total voters

shkaun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many "good" letters or rec do people have? or how many did people who already applied have?

Members don't see this ad.

I have 8, although that's because a couple of schools require different letters, and because one school requires 6-7 that I'm applying to.

I had exactly as many LORs as schools required. There's no need for any more than that. And I never had anything but good letters, mainly because if I thought I'd get a bad one from someone, I never asked them to write me a letter.

I have 4 right now, but only 1 science, so I need to get the 5th one (waiting for the response....the prof must be out of town).

As far as "good ones," I'd say 2 of them are "great." By "great" I mean not just letters that would say I'm a good candidate for med school, but also ones from people who know me REALLY well. I'm confident that all my letters would be positive, but I think only two of them will be "great." I never formed a very close relationship with my science profs (not a science major), so I wanted to have more choices so that I can send other letters in instead for schools that are not very anal about the 2 science letter requirement.