nurse anethesists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
zenman said:
I'll be in the hill country of Thailand this next summer with some shamans and native healers. Want to come and see some real **** :laugh:

http://www.realadventures.com/listings/1023919.htm

http://www.lifeevents.org/

Is this the sort of "real ****" that your referring to?

... just curious

Members don't see this ad.

it does not address the point that the level of NP training BASED on scientific principles is different then training received by a CRNA, PA, or MD/DO. This is my entire argument - no one else has a problem with this idea that we all receive different levels of training.

When you say “no one else” you can include me. I know all of the programs are different; that’s why, well one reason why, I’m in the NP program.

But off you go with this idea that your monk like ways make you more experienced then everyone else and our pathetic notions of scientific based treatments are so childlike and well not even close to your enlightened ways.

Don’t know how you came up with that. Remember, if you will, that I was telling you what your peers were saying. I’ll repeat what I said earlier…“What I am for is INTEGRATIVE medicine. I'm all for empirical studies of "alternative" modalities as long as we recognize the limitations of even double-blinded studies.”

This idea is derived from your continual attacks on medical training (all of it NP/CRNA/PA/MD/DO). get a grip zenman and accept that your training has limitation just like my training has

Well, I certainly realize that my NP training has its problems and have never said that it didn’t.

...the idea that putting on goat skin chaps and headdress - chanting and sacrificing chickens makes your idea of medicine superior to accepted practices is INSANE.

What I want too get across to you is that by studying other and older modalities, you will find interesting things, for ex. that shamans had “mind-body” medicine down long before more recent “experts,” including Candace Pert. Many physicians/psychologists/nurses, etc.. make trips into the jungle and come out with a new perspective.

Get in line with the rest of us and provide excellent healthcare for our patients based on accepted treatment practices or malpractice insurance will be a figment of your imagination.

I intend to as long as it’s “Integrative Medicine!”

hey zenman i am just giving you grief - no hate here

No problem.

Below is a list of medical schools that think like I do…thank goodness. Hopefully you’re in one. Others might be interested also so I’ll list their website also.

The Consortium of Academic Health Centers for Integrative Medicine

Definition of Integrative Medicine

Integrative Medicine is the practice of medicine that reaffirms the importance of the relationship between practitioner and patient, focuses on the whole person, is informed by evidence, and makes use of all appropriate therapeutic approaches, healthcare professionals and disciplines to achieve optimal health and healing.

Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University
Continuum Center for Health and Healing
www.healthandhealingny.org

Columbia University
Richard and Hinda Rosenthal Center for Complementary & Alternative Medicine
www.rosenthal.hs.columbia.edu

Duke University
Duke Center for Integrative Medicine
www.dcim.org

Georgetown University
Kaplan Clinic
www.georgetown.edu/schmed/cam

George Washington University
Center for Integrative Medicine
www.integrativemedicinedc.com

Harvard Medical School
Osher Institute
www.osher.hms.harvard.edu

Laval University
Approche Integree en Sante

Oregon Health and Science University
Women's Primary Care and Integrative Medicine, Center forWomen's Health
www.ohsu.edu/orccamind
www.ohsuwomenshealth.com/services/doctors/integrative.html

Thomas Jefferson University
www.jeffersonhospital.org/cim

University of Alberta
Complementary and Alternative Research and Education (CARE)

University of Arizona
Program for Integrative Medicine
www.integrativemedicine.arizona.edu

University of Calgary
Canadian Institute of Natural & Integrative Medicine
www.cinim.org
www.ucalgary.ca

University of California, Irvine
Susan Samueli Center for Integrative Medicine
www.ucihs.uci.edu/com/samueli

University of California, Los Angeles
Collaborative Centers for Integrative Medicine
www.uclamindbody.org

University of California, San Francisco
Osher Center for Integrative Medicine
www.ucsf.edu/ocim

University of Connecticut
School of Medicine
www.uchc.edu

University of Hawaii at Manoa
Program in Integrative Medicine
www.uhm.hawaii.edu

University of Maryland
www.compmed.umm.edu

University of Massachusetts
Center for Mindfulness
www.umassmed.edu/cfm/

University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
Institute for Complementary & Alternative Medicine
www.umdnj.edu/icam

University of Michigan
Michigan Integrative Medicine
www.med.umich.edu/mim

University of Minnesota
Center for Spirituality and Healing
www.csh.umn.edu

University of New Mexico
Health Science Center
hsc.umm.edu/medicine/Integrative_med

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Program on Integrative Medicine
pim.med.unc.edu

University of Pennsylvania
Office of Complementary Therapies
www.med.upenn.edu/penncam

University of Pittsburgh
Center for Complementary Medicine
integrativemedicine.upmc.com

University of Texas Medical Branch
UTMB Integrative Health Care
cam.utmb.edu

University of Washington
Department of Family Medicine
www.fammed.washington.edu/predoctoral/cam

Wake Forest University
Holistic and Integrative Medicine
www1.wfubmc.edu/phim/

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Megboo!

Go on to www.allnurses.com, and scroll down to the CRNA forum.
There is lots and lots of great info there, and some very important stickies to read. I don't think that you'll find what you're looking for on this thread, IMHO.
Good Luck :D

Megboo said:
OK, maybe we can turn this thread back to anyone studying to become a CRNA or who is already a CRNA....

Anyone in either category?
What schools did/are you attending?
Why did you pick this school?
What is/was it like? (courses, instructors, clinicals, location, etc, etc)
If you are now a CRNA, what is your daily schedule like?
What is your lifestyle like? (time off, family life, hobby time, and yes, even compensation is important - a gal's gotta feed her family!)
Why did you go for CRNA and not MDA?
Would you recommend this course of study?

Someone PLEASE post this information..... This is the only thread on nurse anesthesia!!!!!!!! There at least needs to be one **sticky** :)

nitecap said:
The Leader in the team is the person who is most knowledgable and highly trained for the situation at hand. If a pt is crumping and needs to be intubated, rescusitated and the only people there are a CRNA and Dermatologists then the CRNA is the leader here. It the pt needs Surgery then the Surgery is leader. If pt in acute renal failure the nephrology the leader. If pt needs acute intervention and the NP following the pt for that specific reason is on hand then they are the leader.

Assuming physicians are the overall leader for all situations is false and you who said that must have slim practiioner expereince at best. The leader is the person best qualified on hand to handle the present problem or situation, and has the balls to make a descision and live with that decision if it ends up with a poor outcome. A leader motivates people, runs things smoothly at hectic times. People bust assss to work for a real leader.

I have seen people with a million years of experience not lead a team effectively in intense situation. Leadership also encompases a persons interaction with others, and commnication style. Do you think you can be an effective leader if you are dick and no one respects you. No not at all.

Thank you.

Not to start any trouble but what is the difference between a CRNA and an AA (Anesthesiologist Assistant)??? AA sounds interesting but I am still doing more research on the profession.....

nimette said:
Not to start any trouble but what is the difference between a CRNA and an AA (Anesthesiologist Assistant)??? AA sounds interesting but I am still doing more research on the profession.....
CRNAs are independent anesthesia providers (in most States). They do not require MD/A supervision, and could bill on their own. This may not be the case with AA. I'm not saying that one is better than the other. I simply don't know. So please No Flaming :D

nimette said:

Main differences...

AA's will always be working with anesthesiologists as part of the anesthesia care team. That's a good thing, not a bad thing.

CRNA's can practice in all 50 states - AA's are in 16 states (increasing every year) and DC.

As far as job descriptions and compensation - in groups or hospitals that use both AA's and CRNA's, they're the same for comparable experience. If you're an AA with eight years experience, you'll get paid the same as a CRNA with eight years experience.

Rather than go through all the other stuff on this topic, PM me with any questions you have about AA's and I'll try to answer them. I can probably provide you with more info than you want, since I'm an AA, and I understand most sides of the issues involving AA's. ;)