NY schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know much about New York Medical College? I got in there, LIU Brooklyn, and Touro. I am leading towards NYMC because they seem to have the best reputation, but still kind of confused. I am also still waiting to hear from NYU. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know much about New York Medical College? I got in there, LIU Brooklyn, and Touro. I am leading towards NYMC because they seem to have the best reputation, but still kind of confused. I am also still waiting to hear from NYU. Does anyone have any recommendations or advice?

I would go with the cheapest school that has a decent/good reputation. I've heard bad things about Touro while the others seem at least decent. Have you calculated the costs of attending including living costs?

Having been through the NYU DPT program very recently myself, I felt compelled to inform (or warn) anyone seeking information on NYU DPT out there. I know I would have loved having more details on the program myself before I started and its amazing how different DPT programs are .. the kind of knowledge you dont get unless you know someone who went there. If you're interested in specfics or have any questions about NYU DPT, please PM me and i can elaborate.

Summary: I couldn't give it a worse rating from the bottom of my heart. I love NYC and don't regret my time there, but this program is in shambles in every category.

Pros:
- 1st year Summer - cadaver lab with MD prof and two 3rd year students. Rating: Amazing (my favorite part, my background is exercise science and I plan to go into ortho). May have since changed since the hospital it was in was flooded and repaired/redesigned.
- The name: On the occasion that you tell people where you attend grad school, theyre generally impressed when you say NYU.
- The location: Located at 22nd and 2nd, nearby cheap(relative) housing, near the subways, near restaurants/bars, right in the middle of manhattan, safe area, fun area, somewhere you may wanna live nearby

Cons (besides price+ cost of living):
- Disorganization of the entire program/faculty - chaos, miscommunication, lack of rules/policies where there should be (if theyre going to later enforce things), understaffed for having recently doubled the size of the incoming classes from 25 to 50 (especially in reserving and organizing clinical rotations.) Its Manhattan, theres tons of sites right? WRONG. They send many people to deep brooklyn, long island (past JFK), bronx, jersey just for observation and sometimes full time clinicals. Should be no problem getting an out-of-state clinical? WRONG. Theyre completely disorganized and have trouble with the entire process.
- Old profs that aren't particularly in the know with new methodolies (think ART, FMS, SFMA, PRI, DNS, IPA).
- Old profs that dont like teaching.. when someone juts literally reads off the powerpoint slides that have 50 words per slide. They dont accept students concerns for test questions in general. They also dont change the tests year to year since many profs have been teaching since 1820. Oh you didnt cover that this year? .. still gonna be on the test since the prof didnt even look at before giving it to you. When someone raises their hand for a question, they dont really listen or answer the question that was asked - they dodge it and repeat what they already said. Note: there are like 5 profs total.. that teach every year. So until they replace faculty, this is sadly accurate and in my class was unanimous (not just my opinion).
- 3rd year is entirely genitourinary based. That's a lot of women's health and pee problems for someone that wants to pop out of PT school and work in an orthopedic setting. They love women's health!!! If you're into womens health, this is perfect for you! If not, you may be left wondering why an entire year is spent on what is considered a specialty in the world of PT. Then you might panic because there is 1 class (ever) on manual therapy techniques, and that was in second year.

Undergrad Stats for comparison:
Major: Exercise Science
GPA: 3.71
Interest: Orthopedics/ Sports Medicine (since before school)
GRE: Good but i forget
Hours: 700+ (inpatient rehab aide + outpatient + 12 hrs homecare shadow)
So I haven't been on SDN for months now and didn't think I'd ever be revisiting this website- however, I heard that many NYU interviewees had been seriously referencing this post by a certain "recent graduate" Pheobo when making a decision regarding physical therapy school. As a current DPT student at NYU, I thought I'd make some clarifications as the post is mostly just a bitter rant with misleading information.

1. Firstly, I'll agree with Pheobo in that you're paying a hell of a lot for an NYU education. You're not going to be earning any more with that degree than any other DPT graduate and there are many other programs which are just as great and significantly cheaper. If you're keen on one of them, go for it! Also I'd agree that the program can be a little organized sometimes. NYU is generally a very bureaucratic institution and therefore, our department kind of just works within our own tiny little realm of NYU. This is awesome in many ways but also tedious in other aspects- as in when your faculty doesn't necessarily have to stick to the same deadlines that the entire university does in terms of setting up finals schedules etc. With that being said, the faculty and department are generally very cooperative and run things quite efficiently as they've done this year after year for so long.

2. No, the professors here do not just read off the slides. In fact, I can confidently say that NYU DPT has some of the best faculty I've ever encountered- including in comparison to my professors at Rutgers University. They are dynamic. They are passionate. They will keep you interested and so very well-informed (if you care to listen and be a diligent student.) Are there a few exceptions? Yes. But if you can find a school that doesn't have an exception- please let me know. Faculty here are excellent- don't let anyone tell you differently. By the way, there are most definitely MORE than five professors. Pheobo's clearly mastered the use of hyperbole.

3. No, the third year is not just genitourinary. This couldn't be father from the truth. We focus on everything- LOTS OF ORTHO, cardiopulm, neuro etc. You can actually see the curriculum online at the NYU DPT website. We also have a lot of group presentations, especially in our second year, in which we present case studies on the patients we see during observation and also just generally practice our collaborative skills. The takeaway with NYU's program is this- they want you to be a WELL-ROUNDED physical therapist with LEADERSHIP qualities (hence, group presentations).

4. Andddddd last point since I am currently drowning in the midst of finals and this is really the last thing I should be doing right now (yikes x_x), there ARE tons of sites in Manhattan. And students are assigned to them- including literally the best hospitals in New York like Columbia Presbyterian, NYU Langone (where you'll be having cadaver lab) and Bellevue Hospital. Any affiliation in New York City will expose you to a wide variety of clientele and a clinical experience that is just inherently different from other regions. This also applies to ortho, neuro, peds and other affiliations. Brooklyn by the way is not a significant commute from Manhattan. You'd be traveling a comparable amount for an affiliation from any PT school to a site. So a complaint of that nature is just silly. Also, those who were assigned affiliations in New Jersey ASKED for affiliations in New Jersey. If you don't want to go to Jersey, don't ask.

Guys, I'm not trying to shamelessly praise my school. We have our faults just as any school does. And we pay a hell of a lot more than we should for our education, I can tell you that. However, Pheobo's post was just unfair/ inaccurate and I didn't want you guys making your decisions based off of that. Best of luck with your applications! Hope you find a school that is suited to you.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those applying to Hunter, do I have to do anything regarding my 2014 Fall grades?? I can taste this A I have in A&P....and i'd really want them to know about it haha

For those applying to Hunter, do I have to do anything regarding my 2014 Fall grades?? I can taste this A I have in A&P....and i'd really want them to know about it haha

PTCAS just sent me an email about the Academic Update the other day. Pretty sure we are all required to do it anyways. Congrats on the A!

in case anyone is wondering, stony brook has called people to accept them for those who went to the first interview

anyone know when we're supposed to hear back from Hunter/CSI/NYU?

Actually, Hunter is not under the PTCAS system, and may have their own way of dealing with things. Anyone else know what to do with Fall 2014 grades for the Hunter application?

I just had my Hunter interview this past Friday. They said it should be a few weeks. I'm assuming they'll send out letters in the beginning of January. They already interviewed a bunch of people, so I'm guessing they're trying to get it out of the way before the holidays. There were like 30 people there this past Friday which was kinda intimidating.

Just wondering if anyone here is headed to or considering NYU? :) Also, how is the reputation of the school in NY and worldwide, if you have heard anything about it. (I already have a good idea, but just wanting to know what you all think since I haven't seen many posts about it lately).

Just wondering if anyone here is headed to or considering NYU? :) Also, how is the reputation of the school in NY and worldwide, if you have heard anything about it. (I already have a good idea, but just wanting to know what you all think since I haven't seen many posts about it lately).
NYU has a good reputation in general. In terms of whether that reputation is worth the cost and whether employers are more likely to hire/pay more, that's debatable. Most PTs I've talked to say that going to a "better" school doesn't matter. When you mention worldwide, do you have plans to work abroad?

Members don't see this ad :)
NYU has a good reputation in general. In terms of whether that reputation is worth the cost and whether employers are more likely to hire/pay more, that's debatable. Most PTs I've talked to say that going to a "better" school doesn't matter. When you mention worldwide, do you have plans to work abroad?

@whao I'm from the Philippines so the plan for now is to work a couple of years in the US but eventually move back home. I'm having a difficult time deciding whether or not the reputation is worth the cost.

@whao I'm from the Philippines so the plan for now is to work a couple of years in the US but eventually move back home. I'm having a difficult time deciding whether or not the reputation is worth the cost.
What other schools did you get into? Besides reputation, what other factors are you basing your decision on? It's also important to think about the success of students coming out of the program. There's also curriculum, research opportunities, clinical affiliations, and professors.

What other schools did you get into? Besides reputation, what other factors are you basing your decision on? It's also important to think about the success of students coming out of the program. There's also curriculum, research opportunities, clinical affiliations, and professors.

Texas Woman's University (Houston). The tuition is half that of NYU. But I just really want to get out of Houston and live in the city. I know it's a personally preference and might be a selfish reason (not to mention costly!). Both are great programs as well, so it really comes down to the experience itself.

Texas Woman's University (Houston). The tuition is half that of NYU. But I just really want to get out of Houston and live in the city. I know it's a personally preference and might be a selfish reason (not to mention costly!). Both are great programs as well, so it really comes down to the experience itself.

Location is a legitimate reason. If it'll make you happier for the next 3 years to study and live in NYC, then go for it. Just be prepared for the debt.

Reactions: 1 user
Hunter college is sending out responses. Got accepted:)

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! That's like an early Christmas present. How were you told of the news?

Well I'm Jewish so Its a Hanukkah present right on time!

They actually called me. Just came home from a whole day of tests, A&P final and make up test, and was totally wiped. They just called out of the blue. I didn't even know Hunter called people...I thought it would just be an email. It's also coming a week earlier than I thought it would, which kind of explains why they crammed 30 interviews together on the same day.
Actually, Hunter is not under the PTCAS system, and may have their own way of dealing with things. Anyone else know what to do with Fall 2014 grades for the Hunter application?
For those who were wondering about Fall Grades, I actually asked him on the phone, and he said that they wait for the fall grades when they're on the fence about an applicant, so if you know your Fall grades I would certainly recommend sending it in. Especially if its good.

Anyone interview at csi? What was the interview like? Group interview? Writing sample?

Did anyone get that email from Hunter about the "application process" saying 2.5 weeks before decision? how do you guys interpret that?

Anyone interview at csi? What was the interview like? Group interview? Writing sample?
It was a group interview and pretty relaxed. There was also a writing portion, which they said not to stress. Afterwards, we got to meet current students. Good luck!

Just gonna make sure my message wont get buried. Anyone receive that letter from Hunter? Thoughts?

I haven't received anything from Hunter. I interviewed at Hunter and CSI and have not received any responses. I received an acceptance from NYU and have put down my deposit. I have an upcoming interview at Stony Brook in two weeks.

Not NY, but I got wait-listed at Rutgers Newark. Although it's not my top choice, it does make me a bit sad.

Also disappointed I didn't get an interview invitation from SUNY Downstate. I guess I expected one because I received invitations from Stony, CSI, Hunter and NYU.

Last edited:
I interviewed but havent recieved any updates from NYU :(. I didn't know Downstate was sending out invitations. When did you interview at Hunter?

I think Hunter said if you don't hear at the end of January you can call and ask.
Csi doesn't make decisions until February.

Thats interesting. I got a weird letter from Hunter that was very vague in terms of my admission status. I was just wondering if anyone received a similar letter.

Thank you guys for posting here. It's been so hard to find people to talk to about this because I am a (soon to be ex) finance professional in my 30's going back to school and there is literally nobody I can talk to about this stuff.

Yeah, I created this thread so that New Yorkers could have a space to share their experiences and let off some steam. I just want to hear back from Hunter already. I already heard a few people got in, but want to know where I stand.

UGH yesssss totally feel you on that.

So your comment about Downstate . . . do they not do interviews or something?

Hunter, SUNY Downstate and CSI are my ideal schools. lol unfortunately, it's the case for just about everyone else as well.

Ive heard that Downstate interviews late January/February. Hunter and CSI are my top choices too.

@dropping101 I got the email that you are referring to as well. My takeaway from it is that if we don't hear something by the end of this week, chances are that we aren't getting in. Until then, there still a chance. My guess is that we currently have a 33% chance of getting in. And yes, I pulled that figure straight from my butt.

@DanaherD3 its good to know someone else got the message! I asked a few people for interpretations and they were like its most likely that we're waitlisted. 33% is better than nothing I'd say. Would you happen to know when the last interview was?

@dropping101 No idea when the last interview was, but I know that people are interviewing this week. I imagine that the last day was either today or will be tomorrow. Either way, if we don't hear by the end of the week, I think it's a pretty good bit that we just missed the cut.

@dropping101 I'm thought the interview was fine. I think the essay I turned in was pretty bad though so I wasn't sure how much that might count against me. As for getting in, I'm trying not to think about it. It will either happen or not. Totally out of our hands now. I'm just hoping I get in somewhere that I can afford to go at this point.

Well I got accepted into Hunter, so I don't know anything about the letter you're talking about. Its likely they're still making decisions about now. If you have your Fall grades you should send it in, when I spoke to them they said that if they're on the fence they look at those grades.

@DanaherD3 Yeah the essay was kind of weird. I thought it would be a personal statement or something, not ethics.

Congrats on getting into Hunter!

ugh . . . at least I can hope for Stony.

At this point I've given up hope on CSI and Hunter.

Well, the waiting time for Hunter at most will boil down to a weeks wait. CSI is still up in the air because decisions come in February. And Stony has a much bigger class size so your chances of getting in are much higher.

@dropping101 I looked at Stony, Hunter, ODU, Regis, UW. Didn't apply to that many because I am still finishing up my pre-requs. If I don't get in anywhere with a good offer this time around, I'll try again next year. I felt like I messed up my applications so I was happy just to get interviewed. Where are you looking?

@CalvinPT Congrats on getting in! I'm jealous. What was your conclusion on the essay? I basically said that it was an HR issue and it should be dealt with as such. I have no experience with Community College Hospitals so I was a little stumped on how that played in to the whole thing. My handwriting is so atrocious I'm not even sure that they would be able to read it.

@DanaherD3, I'm looking at just the NYC local schools, LIU, Touro, NYU, CSI, Downstate, etc. Hunter is just my super #1 choice haha

@dropping101 I looked at Stony, Hunter, ODU, Regis, UW. Didn't apply to that many because I am still finishing up my pre-requs. If I don't get in anywhere with a good offer this time around, I'll try again next year. I felt like I messed up my applications so I was happy just to get interviewed. Where are you looking?

@CalvinPT Congrats on getting in! I'm jealous. What was your conclusion on the essay? I basically said that it was an HR issue and it should be dealt with as such. I have no experience with Community College Hospitals so I was a little stumped on how that played in to the whole thing. My handwriting is so atrocious I'm not even sure that they would be able to read it.

That's interesting about your essay. Mine was not about ethics. Instead, it asked what mentors inspired you. I guess they change it up.

Congrats on getting into Hunter!

ugh . . . at least I can hope for Stony.

At this point I've given up hope on CSI and Hunter.

Good luck at your interview!!! I was accepted to Stony Brook last month. If you have any questions about the interview let me know.

Anyone else joining me at Stony Brook this summer???