NY schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@DanaherD3 I concluded that I should talk to the PT about it, maybe he made a 'billing mistake' or something. Then if he doesn't care I kind of just said I'd report him. Most of my essay was about contemplating my options though. I think my essay was good in the end, though honestly I don't think it matters nearly as much as the GPA.
@brooklynyc Thanks. I'm sure you''ll get into a great place. Hunter probably didn't make all its final decisions yet, I'm guessing you'll know one way or the other by the end of next week.
@whao I didn't realize that they did that. I guess they didn't want students to have foreknowledge of the essay. (Though I can't say I didn't try to find out.)

Members don't see this ad.

@dropping101 I got an acceptance letter to Hunter Last night so I think they've sent out all acceptance letters for this week. Don't know if you've heard or not, but I thought I should send something along just in case you were still on pins and needles about everything. Hunter is giving 2 weeks for everyone to decide so I figure that if you haven't heard, there's still a chance that a few people decline and they send out more letters in two weeks.

@CalvinPT Hmm... I was thinking that the interview probably mattered more than GPA once you were in the interview. Seems to me that anyone interviewed has the grades to succeed in PT school.

acceptance letters were email or regular mail?

bah . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
danaher congrats on your acceptance!

i just got my email and unfortunately i was not accepted. i won't lie . . . i'm pretty bummed. i knew i was a huge longshot though so i'm glad i even had the chance to interview.

Danaher congrats! Unfortunately, I didn't recieve any letter acceptance or otherwise ;(

not an acceptance, but being waitlisted certainly is way better than being rejected.

ugh, as for myself i feel like this is a horrible start to the weekend.

i wish suny downstate would get back to its applicants.

@brooklynyc Sorry to hear you didn't get accepted. It's a tough program to get in to, obviously. One of my friends didn't even get interviewed when she applied a few years ago. She's in PT school at LIU now so I'm sure you'll get in to a good school.

@dropping101 Congrats on the waitlist! I bet there's a decent chance you get in.

Thanks Danaher. Objectively, I recognize it's a super competitive school to get in to and that I was lucky to even receive an interview invitation, considering my poor undergrad gpa.

It's weird. When I was younger, getting into NYU was a dream of mine. I got rejected. I got into NYU now but I'm not the least bit excited due to the exorbitant costs. I never would have imagined how difficult it is to get into a public school.

@brooklynyc the good thing about NYU is the faculty. Everyone is super well connected and I currently work with an NYU alumni who is absolutely amazing at what he does. Then again, if you're really into PT, you should do fine anywhere and loans shouldnt be that much of an issue considering you're doing what you love. This is not to patronize or condescend, I spent countless panicked nights thinking about the loans I would tackle.

@brooklynyc You got in to NYU! That's great! Hunter is my first acceptance. I think all the rest of the schools might be waiting for my fall grades before making a decision on my acceptance.

It's understandable that cost is an issue. I know a guy who went to NYU and he really liked it, but he's told me that paying off the debt has been an issue that's been bugging him since graduating. Is there any chance of getting a scholarship through them? I was wondering how much of the NYU sticker price was actual and how much was just what people who could afford it will end up paying. Private school tuition is a bizarre animal.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the encouragement.

NYU is totally awesome, minus the price tag. I looked into the scholarships but I doubt it'll put any dent into the price. It really sucks that a modest profession like physical therapy could have such harsh financial demands on people who pursue it.

My only options left are waiting on my decision from CSI (I'm not hopeful) and my upcoming interview at Stony Brook. I'm also REALLY hoping SUNY Downstate invites me for an interview.

I also applied to LIU (I'd pick NYU over LIU), NYIT and Touro. Touro is 78k for 3 years and I'm trying to figure out if NYU is worth a 50k premium over Touro (or a similarly priced school). I'd probably choose NYU over any other private school in New York, but I haven't seen NYIT or Touro first hand either. These are low on my list of schools I'd like to attend but if anyone has any insight into NYIT or Touro, I'd appreciate it! LIU costs as much as NYU so I'd probably pick NYU over it.

And again thanks for the positivity and encouragement!

All I know about NYIT and Touro is that people who graduate from there get work. At the end of the day, how much does it matter where you graduated from two years after you get out of school? From there on out your work as a PT and your continuing education is going to matter much more than where you went to school. At least that's been my philosophy. I think you should go to the place where you can get your education for the cheapest price unless there is a job you desperately know you want and school matters for placement once you graduate.

On the other hand, if you can afford it, I'm sure NYU is totally worth it.

I think NYU would offer better clinical affiliations and better mentorship from professors. NYU has a former APTA President as a professor so thats something.

Can anyone who has been accepted to NYU tell me how long it took after their interview to receive their offer?

I got interviewed on a Friday and received my acceptance letter the following week on a Wednesday. This was in mid-December.

Thank you. Yes, it was by email. When did you interview?

On Saturday. But I'm not sure if I was interviewing for a wait-list spot. Seeing as how some already got acceptances, and lots of schools don't send them out until an entire class as been filled, I am feeling kind of discouraged. But I'm not sure how NYU does things.

Btroops:

Can you please let me know more details about the interview? I couldn't find a PM button.

Day starts off with an orientation (about an hour) then you sit with the other applicants and wait for your interview time. While your waiting you'll meet with an advisor to go over your application and what you might be missing. Meanwhile current students are their to tell you about the program and any questions you may have.

The interview itself is with 2 faculty members and a current student. Its about 15 minutes and involves all the typical interview questions:
  1. Why physical therapy opposed to the other allied health professions?
  2. What was something you liked about your physical therapy observation hours? Something you didn't like?
  3. What is something you observed that you would like to learn more about (techniques, modalities, injuries)?
  4. If we met your best friend, what is one word he would use to describe you?
  5. What is your greatest strength? Greatest weakness?
  6. What do you have to offer this program over the other applicants?

It was a little intense. They all were basically writing notes the entire time I was answering their question with no replies.

Hope this helps.
Let me know if you have any more questions.

kitty: you will probably found out by the end of the week. deposit for nyu (i paid) is due on the 15th. i'm guessing by the 16th they will have a better idea of how many spots are left.

@dropping101 I got an acceptance letter to Hunter Last night so I think they've sent out all acceptance letters for this week. Don't know if you've heard or not, but I thought I should send something along just in case you were still on pins and needles about everything. Hunter is giving 2 weeks for everyone to decide so I figure that if you haven't heard, there's still a chance that a few people decline and they send out more letters in two weeks.

@CalvinPT Hmm... I was thinking that the interview probably mattered more than GPA once you were in the interview. Seems to me that anyone interviewed has the grades to succeed in PT school.
Congratulations! I guess we'll meet eventually. I spoke to a PT who was an interviewer for Hunter and he said for the most part the interview was just to make sure your normal, and appropriate for the school. Mostly they weight it on the GPA. I mean I think I interviewed well, and my essay was good, but I'm pretty sure they wanted me for my 3.9 GPA. Not all schools are like that, but I think Hunter is.
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the encouragement.

NYU is totally awesome, minus the price tag. I looked into the scholarships but I doubt it'll put any dent into the price. It really sucks that a modest profession like physical therapy could have such harsh financial demands on people who pursue it.

My only options left are waiting on my decision from CSI (I'm not hopeful) and my upcoming interview at Stony Brook. I'm also REALLY hoping SUNY Downstate invites me for an interview.

I also applied to LIU (I'd pick NYU over LIU), NYIT and Touro. Touro is 78k for 3 years and I'm trying to figure out if NYU is worth a 50k premium over Touro (or a similarly priced school). I'd probably choose NYU over any other private school in New York, but I haven't seen NYIT or Touro first hand either. These are low on my list of schools I'd like to attend but if anyone has any insight into NYIT or Touro, I'd appreciate it! LIU costs as much as NYU so I'd probably pick NYU over it.

And again thanks for the positivity and encouragement!
I'm split on the whole with NYU. The reputation is great, but they have a certain gall to charge so much more than anyone else. In the end, everyone can get a job as a PT, its more of a matter of finding a program you're comfortable in for 3 years. I know some people who went to Touro and liked the program, and Downstate while affordable has mixed reviews I think. Even Hunter, while I heard it has a great program, I also heard that the student body is ridiculously competitive. So everything has a trade off.

I currently work with a therapist who graduated from NYU and never regretted his decision. He's paying off his loans and lives comfortably in the city (we work in a busy sports orthopedics office). He enjoyed his professors and you can tell he has awesome clinical skills. He said that the faculty was awesome in NYU and that they supported him every step. Plus, the student body is great.

Ahhh congrats!!!! Nice to see someone else from Upstate on here. I am incredibly excited for June!
I've been waiting to throw together a Facebook group for our class. If I make one and post the link here would you be interested? I'll pass it on to Wendy at admissions to get the info to everyone else. Just wanted to wait to find someone else before I made it haha
Hi there! I was also just accepted to Upstate!! Very excited for June :)

Hi there! I was also just accepted to Upstate!! Very excited for June :)

Hey! Awesome! Congrats! There's a FB page for the class and Wendy will be sending the link out for that sometime soon I'm sure. May I ask when your interview was and when you heard back?

I currently work with a therapist who graduated from NYU and never regretted his decision. He's paying off his loans and lives comfortably in the city (we work in a busy sports orthopedics office). He enjoyed his professors and you can tell he has awesome clinical skills. He said that the faculty was awesome in NYU and that they supported him every step. Plus, the student body is great.
Thank you so much for this and also Danaher for providing a variety of perspectives. I love the supportive community here!

Thats what we're here for :). Still havent heard back from NYU lol. Anyone know how long Hunter students have to decide?

@dropping101 They have two weeks to decide. That's about another week. Last I heard, only two seats were still open.

Did any of you apply to Downstate? If so, have you received interview invitations?

@DanaherD3 : Two seats after the letters were sent out? The reason why I'm asking is that I'm #8 on the waitlist. So im still in kinda murky waters in terms of my admission.

@brooklynyc : I applied to Downstate but I haven't received an interview invitation. Id say the earliest they'd send them out would be by like late next week.

@dropping101 Yeah, I'm not sure they're going to get to #8... But I have no idea how wait lists work so who am I to say?

By two seats, I mean there are only two spots that have not been filled with applicants who have accepted. I figure that means there will be at least two people who get accepted off the wait list.

Anyone from the NYU interview on the 10th hear anything back yet? Startin' to get bummed.

Reactions: 1 user
Also... I still haven't heard anything from Columbia, NYMC, or LIU. Anyone know anything about the timelines? I know some people received interviews at Columbia but other than that, I have no idea...

Havent heard anything back from NYU yet, pretty sure I'm rejected. I think LIU sends out admission statements via rolling admissions. When did u interview with LIU?

Also... I still haven't heard anything from Columbia, NYMC, or LIU. Anyone know anything about the timelines? I know some people received interviews at Columbia but other than that, I have no idea...
LIU is supposed to respond 2-3 weeks after your interview.

edit: They usually do interviews once per month and already had their January one. If seats aren't filled up, they'll have another in February.

Last edited:
Columbia gives you a response within the next week of your interview.

Anyone interviewing at Stony Brook this Saturday?

Drop101, I wouldn't give up hope yet. I feel like there will be some definitive answers this week due to the deposit for december acceptances being due on 1/15. Where are you most aiming to go?

I'm still hopeful about receiving an invitation for SUNY Downstate.

I mean, I'm still gunning for Hunter, but seeing my spot on the waitlist makes me very uncertain.

Hey! Awesome! Congrats! There's a FB page for the class and Wendy will be sending the link out for that sometime soon I'm sure. May I ask when your interview was and when you heard back?
Hi there! Thanks! Very excited about it. I interviewed on January 9th and heard back just a few days later.

Hey there! Thanks! I thought that I replied to this... I interviewed in early January and heard back a few days later!

They emailed me, sundial.

Is anyone here going to Stony Brook on Saturday? If so, how are you getting there? Looking to see if we can carpool or something. I was planning on driving but I'm not sure if my car can handle snow.

I interviewed on the 10th too and have assumed the same thing at this point, but I'm hoping that since the deposit for december accpetane was due recently that we may find out in the next couple of days ?? But I don't know. It's one of my top choices so I'm realllly hoping to get an email soon. :(

I interviewed on the 10th too and have assumed the same thing at this point, but I'm hoping that since the deposit for december accpetane was due recently that we may find out in the next couple of days ?? But I don't know. It's one of my top choices so I'm realllly hoping to get an email soon. :(
Yeah, at this point I just want to know. Reject or not, just tellllllll me. :( Best of luck