NY schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dropping101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow applicant! I figured since I keep seeing these Texas and Tennessee threads popping up, I figured I'd start one for NY applicants. Feel free to share interview dates, questions, etc!

Members don't see this ad.

If anybody has experiences with LIU Brooklyn id love to hear about it

Albany area resident here. Praying to get into either Upstate Medical, Stony Brook or (still working on the non-ptcas app) Downstate Medical. Gotta love that in-state SUNY tuition. I also applied to Sage, Utica, Dominican, and LIU Brooklyn.

Heard way after I applied that Dominican is a complete scam, so a word of warning there.

I have interviews coming up at Utica College (10/16) and Upstate Medical (11/7). I hear that the Upstate interview process is pretty damn grueling. Glad I got UNE under my belt this past Friday and will get some more experience with interviews at Utica before I get to Upstate in November.

For the love of God, has anyone heard from Stony Brook. Filled out my supplemental and everything in early September. Have they begun interviewing yet?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't heard from Stony yet. Applied to Columbia, Stony, Hunter and CSI!

Applied to Stony (haven't heard back yet). Interview at NYIT on October 24th, going to apply to Sage, and haven't heard anything from Touro.

Got an interview with LIU on the 20th and NYIT on the 10th (this Friday). I called Stony and they interview around Decemeber and from previous forums, I deduced that Hunter and CSI only review apps after Nov 1 and interview December.

How are you guys sending over your CPR/First aid certifications for Stony Brook? On their admissions website it doesn't say anything about a link to send it too.

Got an interview with LIU on the 20th and NYIT on the 10th (this Friday). I called Stony and they interview around Decemeber and from previous forums, I deduced that Hunter and CSI only review apps after Nov 1 and interview December.

@dropping101 when did you submit your application to LIU? and I'll be at the NYIT interview this friday as well.

Well, I esubmitted my app the 4 of july and my app was sent out the 28th after my GPAs came in.

Are these interview dates flexible or only on specific dates?

Hey! I'm actually from TN.... but I have an interview at Columbia on 11/22. Anyone else going to be there then? I am basically freaking out... Anyone had any experience with Columbia DPT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I'm actually from TN.... but I have an interview at Columbia on 11/22. Anyone else going to be there then? I am basically freaking out... Anyone had any experience with Columbia DPT?

when did you submit your app? i applied to columbia too and hopefully i get the same interview date because i'll be in nyc for the stony brook interview the day before!

when did you submit your app? i applied to columbia too and hopefully i get the same interview date because i'll be in nyc for the stony brook interview the day before!

Everything was in mid-August! I was contacted by Columbia on 10/16! Good luck!! That would work out perfect for you. I'm going from Belmont on the 21 to NYC... First time in the city so it should be interesting... :heckyeah:

Everything was in mid-August! I was contacted by Columbia on 10/16! Good luck!! That would work out perfect for you. I'm going from Belmont on the 21 to NYC... First time in the city so it should be interesting... :heckyeah:
thanks! good luck to you too. hopefully i'll get an email soon, i didn't submit my stuff until september so it might take some time..

got an interview with Columbia! scheduled for 1/16 but i emailed for an earlier date when i'll be home in NY for the holidays so hopefully i'll get an earlier one!

Any thoughts on whether nyit or touro?:) heard from both yesterday and still deciding which one to go to.

was able to switch my Columbia interview to 11/22 so its possible to try to change interview dates!

When did everyone submit their app to Columbia?

Having been through the NYU DPT program very recently myself, I felt compelled to inform (or warn) anyone seeking information on NYU DPT out there. I know I would have loved having more details on the program myself before I started and its amazing how different DPT programs are .. the kind of knowledge you dont get unless you know someone who went there. If you're interested in specfics or have any questions about NYU DPT, please PM me and i can elaborate.

Summary: I couldn't give it a worse rating from the bottom of my heart. I love NYC and don't regret my time there, but this program is in shambles in every category.

Pros:
- 1st year Summer - cadaver lab with MD prof and two 3rd year students. Rating: Amazing (my favorite part, my background is exercise science and I plan to go into ortho). May have since changed since the hospital it was in was flooded and repaired/redesigned.
- The name: On the occasion that you tell people where you attend grad school, theyre generally impressed when you say NYU.
- The location: Located at 22nd and 2nd, nearby cheap(relative) housing, near the subways, near restaurants/bars, right in the middle of manhattan, safe area, fun area, somewhere you may wanna live nearby

Cons (besides price+ cost of living):
- Disorganization of the entire program/faculty - chaos, miscommunication, lack of rules/policies where there should be (if theyre going to later enforce things), understaffed for having recently doubled the size of the incoming classes from 25 to 50 (especially in reserving and organizing clinical rotations.) Its Manhattan, theres tons of sites right? WRONG. They send many people to deep brooklyn, long island (past JFK), bronx, jersey just for observation and sometimes full time clinicals. Should be no problem getting an out-of-state clinical? WRONG. Theyre completely disorganized and have trouble with the entire process.
- Old profs that aren't particularly in the know with new methodolies (think ART, FMS, SFMA, PRI, DNS, IPA).
- Old profs that dont like teaching.. when someone juts literally reads off the powerpoint slides that have 50 words per slide. They dont accept students concerns for test questions in general. They also dont change the tests year to year since many profs have been teaching since 1820. Oh you didnt cover that this year? .. still gonna be on the test since the prof didnt even look at before giving it to you. When someone raises their hand for a question, they dont really listen or answer the question that was asked - they dodge it and repeat what they already said. Note: there are like 5 profs total.. that teach every year. So until they replace faculty, this is sadly accurate and in my class was unanimous (not just my opinion).
- 3rd year is entirely genitourinary based. That's a lot of women's health and pee problems for someone that wants to pop out of PT school and work in an orthopedic setting. They love women's health!!! If you're into womens health, this is perfect for you! If not, you may be left wondering why an entire year is spent on what is considered a specialty in the world of PT. Then you might panic because there is 1 class (ever) on manual therapy techniques, and that was in second year.

Undergrad Stats for comparison:
Major: Exercise Science
GPA: 3.71
Interest: Orthopedics/ Sports Medicine (since before school)
GRE: Good but i forget
Hours: 700+ (inpatient rehab aide + outpatient + 12 hrs homecare shadow)

Reactions: 1 users
Having been through the NYU DPT program very recently myself, I felt compelled to inform (or warn) anyone seeking information on NYU DPT out there. I know I would have loved having more details on the program myself before I started and its amazing how different DPT programs are .. the kind of knowledge you dont get unless you know someone who went there. If you're interested in specfics or have any questions about NYU DPT, please PM me and i can elaborate.

Summary: I couldn't give it a worse rating from the bottom of my heart. I love NYC and don't regret my time there, but this program is in shambles in every category.

Pros:
- 1st year Summer - cadaver lab with MD prof and two 3rd year students. Rating: Amazing (my favorite part, my background is exercise science and I plan to go into ortho). May have since changed since the hospital it was in was flooded and repaired/redesigned.
- The name: On the occasion that you tell people where you attend grad school, theyre generally impressed when you say NYU.
- The location: Located at 22nd and 2nd, nearby cheap(relative) housing, near the subways, near restaurants/bars, right in the middle of manhattan, safe area, fun area, somewhere you may wanna live nearby

- Disorganization of the entire program/faculty - chaos, miscommunication, lack of rules/policies where there should be (if theyre going to later enforce things), understaffed for having recently doubled the size of the incoming classes from 25 to 50 (especially in reserving and organizing clinical rotations.) Its Manhattan, theres tons of sites right? WRONG. They send many people to deep brooklyn, long island (past JFK), bronx, jersey just for observation and sometimes full time clinicals. Should be no problem getting an out-of-state clinical? WRONG. Theyre completely disorganized and have trouble with the entire process.
- Old profs that aren't particularly in the know with new methodolies (think ART, FMS, SFMA, PRI, DNS, IPA).
- Old profs that dont like teaching.. when someone juts literally reads off the powerpoint slides that have 50 words per slide. They dont accept students concerns for test questions in general. They also dont change the tests year to year since many profs have been teaching since 1820. Oh you didnt cover that this year? .. still gonna be on the test since the prof didnt even look at before giving it to you. When someone raises their hand for a question, they dont really listen or answer the question that was asked - they dodge it and repeat what they already said. Note: there are like 5 profs total.. that teach every year. So until they replace faculty, this is sadly accurate and in my class was unanimous (not just my opinion).
- 3rd year is entirely genitourinary based. That's a lot of women's health and pee problems for someone that wants to pop out of PT school and work in an orthopedic setting. They love women's health!!! If you're into womens health, this is perfect for you! If not, you may be left wondering why an entire year is spent on what is considered a specialty in the world of PT. Then you might panic because there is 1 class (ever) on manual therapy techniques, and that was in second year.

Thanks for the info, I didn't apply to NYU but this is GREAT information.

Pros:

Whooooooaaa. So sorry to hear had such a negative experience. Thank you so much for the detailed feedback. I'm sure this will seriously help some people.

I applied to Columbia University (the only NY school I applied to) and I received an interview invitation on October 27th via email for an interview on January 16th. I'm very excited to travel to New York although I'm not sure I'll be prepared for the weather. I'm from Oregon, but I've been to NYC a handful of times. Never in the winter though. My first interview will be with University of Miami though so I'm glad I'll have practice first. Ha.

Congrats! How was the Upstate interview? Was it as grueling as you expected? Also, how long after the interview did you receive notice of your acceptance?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi guys, just wondering if I could get any insight on my situation because I've been a nervous wreck. I've been accepted to a good program that's requiring a $1000 deposit (NYIT) but my family is telling me not to put down a deposit because they believe I will still get in to other schools. This is because I've just recently interviewed with Stony and am headed towards an interview with NYU this december. Am I just overly paranoid about not getting any more acceptances or is the rate I'm going a positive sign of getting another offer? And does anyone know if it's true that when you've gotten an interview you're most likely to be offered admission?

Any advice would help, thank you:nailbiting:

First, congrats! Second, when you get an interview it does not mean you'll most likely be offered admission. Interviews are meant to weed people out. How do you think you did at the Stony Brook interview?

In terms of the deposit, from what I've read on this board most people in a similar situation bite the deposit fee in order to feel secure and less stressed. When is the deposit due and have you asked for an extension?

First, congrats! Second, when you get an interview it does not mean you'll most likely be offered admission. Interviews are meant to weed people out. How do you think you did at the Stony Brook interview?

In terms of the deposit, from what I've read on this board most people in a similar situation bite the deposit fee in order to feel secure and less stressed. When is the deposit due and have you asked for an extension?

The deposit is due tomorrow, actually. I've asked for an extension but they won't allow it. I didn't feel so good about my stony interview but it makes me feel more prepared for the nyu one. I'd actually gladly do a $500 deposit but $1000 seems a lot:(

The deposit is due tomorrow, actually. I've asked for an extension but they won't allow it. I didn't feel so good about my stony interview but it makes me feel more prepared for the nyu one. I'd actually gladly do a $500 deposit but $1000 seems a lot:(

Breathe. This feels like a stressful situation at the moment, but take a step back. You have been ACCEPTED to an awesome program. Enjoy that. Be grateful for that. Be proud of that. This is nothing but good news, any way you cut it.

I was in a similar situation a little while back. I had been accepted to Univ. of New England in mid October. It was a $1,000 deposit, but I had upcoming interviews at Upstate Med and Stony Brook. As a NYS Resident, those were my top choices for a number of reasons. I chewed on it for a while, and decided to put down the $1k to save my seat at UNE because I loved the program and knew it was my top private-school choice. Plus, if I ended up getting into a state school, I would make that $1,000 back many times over through the tuition differential. Not too long ago, I was notified of my acceptance to Upstate Med, where I will be attending. I will be eating the $1,000 deposit at UNE.

I do not know what the price difference is between NYIT and NYU. Probably not much. If, for some reason, NYU is far and away your top choice, then put down the deposit at NYIT to be safe, crush your NYU interview, and eat the $1,000 if you get in. If there is that big of a difference for you between those two schools, and NYU is your clear preference, then you will happily eat that $1k just like I did. Nothing is guaranteed. I would put down deposits until I got into my top choice, if that ever happened.

Two other notes:

I know a person from my school who got into Stony. He said that neither he nor anyone he interviewed with felt good about how they performed in their interviews. Apparently they tend to give off that vibe regardless of how you did. I bailed on my interview last Friday so I wouldn't know personally.

Secondly, @pheobo had some...ahem...strong things to say about NYU DPT...might be worth a read.

Last edited:
Breathe. This feels like a stressful situation at the moment, but take a step back. You have been ACCEPTED to an awesome program. Enjoy that. Be grateful for that. Be proud of that. This is nothing but good news, any way you cut it.

I was in a similar situation a little while back. I had been accepted to Univ. of New England in mid October. It was a $1,000 deposit, but I had upcoming interviews at Upstate Med and Stony Brook. As a NYS Resident, those were my top choices for a number of reasons. I chewed on it for a while, and decided to put down the $1k to save my seat at UNE because I loved the program and knew it was my top private-school choice. Plus, if I ended up getting into a state school, I would make that $1,000 back many times over through the tuition differential. Not too long ago, I was notified of my acceptance to Upstate Med, where I will be attending. Once I officially receive my packet from Upstate and send my deposit in to them, I will be eating the $1,000 deposit at UNE.

I do not know what the price difference is between NYIT and NYU. Probably not much. If, for some reason, NYU is far and away your top choice, then put down the deposit at NYIT to be safe, crush your NYU interview, and eat the $1,000 if you get in. If there is that big of a difference for you between those two schools, and NYU is your clear preference, then you will happily eat that $1k just like I did. Nothing is guaranteed. I would put down deposits until I got into my top choice, if that ever happened.

Two other notes:

I know a person from my school who got into Stony. He said that neither he nor anyone he interviewed with felt good about how they performed in their interviews. Apparently they tend to give off that vibe regardless of how you did. I bailed on my interview last Friday so I wouldn't know personally.

Secondly, @pheobo had some...ahem...strong things to say about NYU DPT...might be worth a read.

@BiffTheFlashRogers Thank you for this! I'm coming from the Philippines so both schools are pretty heavy on the expense, even the deposit itself is already a big amount. But then again, I never thought I'd get accepted into ANY school given my foreign degree so I'm really overwhelmed as well. I did read the review on NYU DPT but I'm still looking forward to meeting the students at the interview coz I felt pretty good when I visited the last time.

When did you interview with Stony? Have you heard from them?:)

@BiffTheFlashRogers Thank you for this! I'm coming from the Philippines so both schools are pretty heavy on the expense, even the deposit itself is already a big amount. But then again, I never thought I'd get accepted into ANY school given my foreign degree so I'm really overwhelmed as well. I did read the review on NYU DPT but I'm still looking forward to meeting the students at the interview coz I felt pretty good when I visited the last time.

When did you interview with Stony? Have you heard from them?:)

I was supposed to interview last friday, November 21st. But, before that, I was accepted to Upstate Medical University, which is my top choice, so I called Stony brook to decline my interview. Wish I had more info for you!

Good luck with everything!

Last edited:
Anyone receive note from Hunter? CSI interview this coming Tuesday!

A bit nervous to tell you the truth haha. But its a really awesome program though, both financially and academically.

accepted to Columbia earlier this week, still waiting on Stony Brook. they were both pretty chill interviews. Nothing from Hunter yet... CSI interview in January though

Good job on the Columbia acceptance! I deferred Stonybrook because its a little far for me in terms of travel.

For those who have been on interviews, any tips? How did you prepare?

just received a call this morning from Hunter. they're starting to invite for interviews.

Nice! When is your interview?

they originally wanted me to come in next Monday but i'm going to be taking finals so I asked to reschedule. Haven't set a date yet.

Thank you! It was nowhere near as grueling as expected. It was by no means 'easy' but I had blown it out of proportion and expected the worst, probably because I knew Upstate was my top choice and I was freaking out internally.

The Multiple Mini Interview was definitely different than anything I had done before but the faculty and admissions staff were all extremely kind and welcoming which made the process a lot less stressful.

I found out ten days after I interviewed.

Hey there! I just found out I got into Upstate as well, I interviewed on November 21. Look forward to being a part of the same class in June!

Hey there! I just found out I got into Upstate as well, I interviewed on November 21. Look forward to being a part of the same class in June!

Ahhh congrats!!!! Nice to see someone else from Upstate on here. I am incredibly excited for June!
I've been waiting to throw together a Facebook group for our class. If I make one and post the link here would you be interested? I'll pass it on to Wendy at admissions to get the info to everyone else. Just wanted to wait to find someone else before I made it haha

Ahhh congrats!!!! Nice to see someone else from Upstate on here. I am incredibly excited for June!
I've been waiting to throw together a Facebook group for our class. If I make one and post the link here would you be interested? I'll pass it on to Wendy at admissions to get the info to everyone else. Just wanted to wait to find someone else before I made it haha
Yeah I would absolutely be interested! I know Wendy said that's normally something that people do and she doesn't usually care! I'm so excited!