NY schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed at NYU on December 6th and still haven't heard anything back. I know that they sent out rejection letters a couple weeks after my interview so I'm assuming I'm on the waitlist. I also emailed the office a few weeks ago and they told me I should hear back by late february.

So basically if you don't get a rejection letter right away assume your on the waitlist. I think many people might decline offers because of the price, especially if they get accepted somewhere else.

Hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the update! Im sure it helps a bunch of people now! Please let us know if you have any further updates

got acceptance email from CSI today. nothing from hunter yet, assuming a rejection.

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats bktrojan! nothing from csi so i'm going to assume rejection.

just had my stony interview. did terrible.

looks like NYU it is!

thanks for the support! @dropping101 and @brooklynyc
@brooklynyc i thought my stony one went horrible too and i ended up getting in so no worries. it's just awkward with three people writing notes down and not looking at you. my hunter one felt that way =[

I felt that way for my CSI interview. Big group interview with 2 interviewers. I didn't feel like I really separated myself from my fellow colleagues. But hey, there are people who didn't get in anywhere this cycle, so we all did good in some way or another!

Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone could offer any advice or insight for the Columbia DPT interview. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated!

The Columbia interview is very very chill. It's you and one Professor and it's just a conversation about yourself really. They don't really have set questions. It's fun, no worries.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with BKTrojan. Columbia was definitely the most easy-going interview I've had. It's really super chill. We had breakfast and hung out with some of the first year students and asked questions and just chatted. They did a powerpoint presentation on the school parameters, classes, clinical sites etc. Then they introduced the faculty, who were all very nice and seemed very fun, intelligent and approachable. Some people had tours, others interviews. Then we had lunch and the rest of the interviews started. It seemed to me that they paired you up with a faculty interviewer that was similar to your interests. For me, it was neuro, so I was interviewed by one of their neuroscience faculty and it was very much just a relaxed, short conversation. Mostly he did the talking, and others said the same about their interviewers. He only asked me where I saw myself in 5 or 10 years and why I chose Columbia, but mostly, he spent his time trying to convince me why I would want to attend Columbia. I liked that they were trying to sell the school to me, and didn't make it more about me begging for a spot. It was very calm and comfortable and the students there that I met were all very nice. I interviewed a week and a half ago and still haven't heard back. They said we would hear back within 2 weeks and then if we are accepted, we have 2 weeks to accept and send the $1000 deposit (which is way too much). The main thing I would do to prepare is to have a good, specific example for the "why Columbia?" question. If you're interested in a specialization like neuro, pediatrics etc. then check out their advanced track options for those and maybe talk about those. Or if you are interested in research, emphasize that, because they are a very research-based school. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I know there were some acceptances and waitlisted folks for CSI. Did anyone receive an official rejection letter? I wish they would just send one instead of letting my hope linger.

Also, I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record but has anyone received invitations for Downstate?

Members don't see this ad :)
Downstate is quiet. I'd expect hearing back from them any day now.

Emailed Hunter, they said we should expect an email about accept/waitlist/reject by the end of this month... so I'm guessing by Friday.

@dropping101 i don't think so.

Exact email words, "You should be contacted back via email at any time this month, whether you were accepted, rejected or placed on the waiting list."

Thanks for the clarification. And the waiting game continues.

Hi future PT students,

I don't know about Hunter's acceptance/interview policy because I wasn't even interviewed by them but I wanted to add if it hasn't already been said that most likely some waitlisted CSI applicants will get in because people will decide to go to other schools (i.e. Hunter which has the Manhattan location which is more attractive for a lot of applicants).

If you haven't gotten anything yet from CSI and its been more than a week after they said they would contact you, then I would reach out to them. There are people who got into the program right before orientation and/or right before the first day of class, so stay upbeat and hopeful.

I can add something about LIU's program, they have at least two good professors because two of our professors last semester are full time faculty members at the school. Both have the OCS (Orthopedics) certification and Dr.M has some other cool credentials. So you won't be losing out in terms of teaching if LIU is the only school you get into.

If you have any questions about CSI specifically, let me know.

Best,
Current CSI Student

Thanks for the heads up! I actually got wailisted for both CSI and Hunter. The only think thats getting me off about CSI is the Verrazano toll. Im not confident with my chances of Hunter admission either, #8 on wailist. But LIU is goood too I heard.

If you live in say Brooklyn (I'm guessing you do) and Hunter doesn't take you while CSI does, then I would suggest meeting your potential classmates at orientation and finding out if any are willing to carpool. Even with the toll it would be cheaper if you're an in-state resident to go to CSI than say LIU, NYU, Columbia or even Downstate.

If you do get into Hunter, then I would understand why you would choose that program considering the fact that its just a trip on the subway without any toll.

Either way good luck!

Yeah, I shouldve mentioned that I live in Brooklyn. You do have very good points that I have to consider as well. CSI seems like a beautiful school and Dr.Ahmed's research is super-fascinating to me.

Sitting on pins and needles waiting to hear back from Downstate and CSI. haha I know i've said it about a million times on this thread already but it's all killing me!

Last edited:
Hi future PT students,

I don't know about Hunter's acceptance/interview policy because I wasn't even interviewed by them but I wanted to add if it hasn't already been said that most likely some waitlisted CSI applicants will get in because people will decide to go to other schools (i.e. Hunter which has the Manhattan location which is more attractive for a lot of applicants).

If you haven't gotten anything yet from CSI and its been more than a week after they said they would contact you, then I would reach out to them. There are people who got into the program right before orientation and/or right before the first day of class, so stay upbeat and hopeful.

I can add something about LIU's program, they have at least two good professors because two of our professors last semester are full time faculty members at the school. Both have the OCS (Orthopedics) certification and Dr.M has some other cool credentials. So you won't be losing out in terms of teaching if LIU is the only school you get into.

If you have any questions about CSI specifically, let me know.

Best,
Current CSI Student

Hey, thanks for taking the time to update us and answer our questions. Why did you ultimately decide to go to CSI? What do you like and not like about it?

Hey, thanks for taking the time to update us and answer our questions. Why did you ultimately decide to go to CSI? What do you like and not like about it?

The tuition cost was the biggest factor. The small class size was also appealing because big classes can make it harder to learn, at least for me. That was pretty much all I knew about the program at the time I applied.

I never attended the open house, though I recommend if you know a student that is interested in applying that you tell them to do so, and I had no idea about the facilities in the building prior to my interview.

Some things you should know about if you've been accepted to CSI and are considering it:

A big factor for current students is the resource room, which wasn't even finished when I was interviewed. CSI student physical therapists (SPTs) are allowed to use it for hanging out before/in between/after class, studying, and/or eating meals. It makes the CSI experience that much more comfortable. If you don't already know almost every textbook we use [in class] is in that room, there's a fridge in the room, a microwave, a Keurig, cupboards, computers, printers, etc. It will only get better over the years as students will request certain improvements be made to the room. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the only program that offers such a major resource.

Dr.Jeffrey Rothman, the head of the PT department, has setup a strong relationship with China's Shaoxing University, which I believe is currently developing their own PT program (it would be only the 2nd program in all of China). As a result you could go to China as part of an oversees experience. Each year Dr. Robert Chen, one of China's top PTs, comes to CSI and gives a presentation about how he was able to rehabilitate an injured swimmer so that she could compete in the Olympics.

I believe, don't hold me to it, that CSI has received funds recently to upgrade some of the equipment we have which will make the program nicer. Also the program has a lot of instruction regarding electromyography which I'm not sure every school offers.

This program will never be able to have the same level of general equipment (i.e. crutches, wheelchairs, etc.) as the private schools have but you should note that if you graduate from an expensive private school, then you're most likely going to spend a tremendous amount of money in tuition payments (and in most cases even more in interest payments) just so you can have that equipment for the 1.5-2 years you spend in class.

Nobody I've spoken to in the PT world really cares where you went to school so you don't have to worry about getting a job. We do have a ton of affiliations at CSI so you will have a shot at working in a wide variety of settings as a SPT.

Best,
Current CSI Student

Reactions: 1 user

I wrote all about the advantages of the program and forgot to mention what I don't like about the program.

Notes:
I don't like our current general equipment (i.e. crutches, wheelchairs). They aren't very new.
The chairs are not great but many programs don't offer seating with proper lumbar support despite the fact that it's a PT program.
Not every professor uses Blackboard which can be inconvenient.

One last thing I should add about CSI. The program places a major emphasis on research which will look good on your resume. There's a lot of people who are talking about how PT schools need to do more research and fortunately right now CSI is one of the few schools that does do it. It isn't easy but clinical research can be extremely interesting if you choose the right topic for your study.

I agree with BKTrojan. Columbia was definitely the most easy-going interview I've had. It's really super chill. We had breakfast and hung out with some of the first year students and asked questions and just chatted. They did a powerpoint presentation on the school parameters, classes, clinical sites etc. Then they introduced the faculty, who were all very nice and seemed very fun, intelligent and approachable. Some people had tours, others interviews. Then we had lunch and the rest of the interviews started. It seemed to me that they paired you up with a faculty interviewer that was similar to your interests. For me, it was neuro, so I was interviewed by one of their neuroscience faculty and it was very much just a relaxed, short conversation. Mostly he did the talking, and others said the same about their interviewers. He only asked me where I saw myself in 5 or 10 years and why I chose Columbia, but mostly, he spent his time trying to convince me why I would want to attend Columbia. I liked that they were trying to sell the school to me, and didn't make it more about me begging for a spot. It was very calm and comfortable and the students there that I met were all very nice. I interviewed a week and a half ago and still haven't heard back. They said we would hear back within 2 weeks and then if we are accepted, we have 2 weeks to accept and send the $1000 deposit (which is way too much). The main thing I would do to prepare is to have a good, specific example for the "why Columbia?" question. If you're interested in a specialization like neuro, pediatrics etc. then check out their advanced track options for those and maybe talk about those. Or if you are interested in research, emphasize that, because they are a very research-based school. Good luck!

Have you heard back from Columbia?? I interviewes 01/16 and still haven't heard anything.

Columbia accepted me the Tuesday after my interview

I know there were some acceptances and waitlisted folks for CSI. Did anyone receive an official rejection letter? I wish they would just send one instead of letting my hope linger.

Also, I know I'm beginning to sound like a broken record but has anyone received invitations for Downstate?

I interviewed with Downstate this past week.

@brooklynyc I got an invitation this past thursday for an interview at Downstate... I turned it down since I already took a seat at Hunter.

@optimizingmovement I interviewed on 1/16 and received my notification of acceptance on February 2nd via email. Hope you've heard back by now!

I have a weird story about Touro. I applied in Novemever and heard from them soon after in an email in which they stated that I need to increased my GRE scores so that my application would be more competitive and then they would invite me to submit the supplemental application. I retook it and got a higher score and shortly after they invited me to fill out the supplemental application. I was told that it would take two weeks to here back from them. It actually took them over a month to email me again but this time they told me to increase my GRE again! By sending me the supplemental application I thought that my GRE scores were appropriate. I hope this is a mistake because I do not understand why they would have me submit the supplemental application, wait a month, and then tell me the same thing about the GRE scores that I was first told about 3 months ago. I thought the purpose of the supplemental application was to review the grades I receieves on my prerequsite courses and then make a final decision. Has anyone else experienced this with Touro? I will call them on Monday. Wish me luck!

I know lots of people in Touro undergrad, their systems are all screwed up. You gotta speak to an actual person.

@brooklynyc I got an invitation this past thursday for an interview at Downstate... I turned it down since I already took a seat at Hunter.
Did you get an email or phone call? Also, are they calling people in the order of heir GPA? I really hope I get called for an interview soon.

Anyone apply to Daemen College? Or know when they start notifying applicants? Haven't seen much talk about that school.

Has anyone who didn't initially hear back from NYU heard back lately? Interviewed way more than a month ago and still haven't heard anything. Sent a follow up email to the advisor which didn't get a response...

Has anyone who didn't initially hear back from NYU heard back lately? Interviewed way more than a month ago and still haven't heard anything. Sent a follow up email to the advisor which didn't get a response...
I applied but haven't heard from them

Anyone interview at Downstate? If so, when did you interview and have you heard back from them?