NY State Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timmah2k

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I want to apply to allopathic schools, however my GPA is low (2.7 for both science and cumm) Is there any way I can get into to NY state schools like NYMC, Albany, Buffalo, Stony...etc? Should I even bother with these grades?
Thanks.

Steve

Members don't see this ad.

timmah2k said:
Hey guys,

I want to apply to allopathic schools, however my GPA is low (2.7 for both science and cumm) Is there any way I can get into to NY state schools like NYMC, Albany, Buffalo, Stony...etc? Should I even bother with these grades?
Thanks.

Steve
well, the private schools on that list (Albany, NYMC) tend to be more receptive than the publics (Stony, Buffalo, also Upstate and Downstate) as a general rule, but obviously every applicant is different. Are you a NYS resident? If not, you probably don't have much of a shot at the publics and I would stick to the private schools.

To be honest, with that GPA, I have to echo the previous poster. Unless your MCAT score is extremely impressive and you have tons of extra-curriculars (Nobel Prize, etc), I can't say your chances are too good. Sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
timmah2k said:
Hey guys,

Thanks.

Steve

If I were you, I would do a post-bacc/masters program before applying. If you haven't taken the MCAT yet, study hard for it. Do well in those two categories, and then apply to all of the NY state schools (if you're a NY resident) plus the private schools you mentioned in addition to many others. Good luck.

Actually I'm taking a postbacc now and my GPA will go to a 2.77 cumm and 2.72 science. I'm taking a KAPLAN course and hope to do well on the MCATs. I'm a NY state resident, so I'm hoping that'll help. My exctacredits don't include much:

200 hrs of volunteer work in records
Worked for Bayer HealthCare for a half year as a lab technologist
Research at Cornell for a semester
Lab assistant for a half year doing basic cell lines and cleaning
Interniship doing research at Brookhaven Labs
Fraternity member heavily involved in community service and leadership
Office Assistant dealing with medicare records

What MCATs would you say I need? Also, what NY schools would I have any remote chance?

even with a 45 allopathic chances are going to be slim with a sub 3.0.
I would check out D.O. schools or the caribbean as other options.

I'd do a one-year postbac and get that GPA up. It's not unheard of for kids to get in with your stats though. But they traditionally have either shown dramatic improvement in grades from an incredibly poor start, are URM, or both.

Z

Totally agree with these guys. I've heard of very few people getting in with a 2.8. If you can score a 30+ on the MCAT, try to get your GPA up to at least a 3.2-3.3 before you apply. You would just be wasting a lot of money and time.

I agree with all others.

I have a friend with 31 MCAT and 3.1, with good (perhaps not quite as good as yours, but good) ECs...he was rejected preinterview at all 4 state schools...he's doing the post-bacc that you should consider doing...

Sorry, but good luck with whatever you choose.

dc

bigdan said:
I agree with all others.

I have a friend with 31 MCAT and 3.1, with good (perhaps not quite as good as yours, but good) ECs...he was rejected preinterview at all 4 state schools...he's doing the post-bacc that you should consider doing...

Sorry, but good luck with whatever you choose.

dc

I think masters is the way to go, especially since you have already taken most of the basic science pre-reqs. You also will need a full years worth of courses, so why not just get a degree while you're at it? A 2.7 science gpa will get you screened out almost everywhere.