NYC internal medicine residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't heard much good about Montefiore, but nothing bad either. Seems like a decent program, but nowhere near the four you just mentioned. It's my impression that anyone getting into those 4 residencies and perform decently well will have their pick of fellowships. Can't really say the same for the other programs in NYC unless you're only looking at programs that favor their own for fellowship spots.

Any thoughts on the next tier of programs after the top 4 (columbia, nyu, mssm, cornell)? Downstate, BI, Montefiore, NSLIJ? Would you all say that SLR or any other program is missing from Tier 2?

Members don't see this ad.

Any thoughts on the next tier of programs after the top 4 (columbia, nyu, mssm, cornell)? Downstate, BI, Montefiore, NSLIJ? Would you all say that SLR or any other program is missing from Tier 2?

NSLIJ=Monte>Stony Brook=SLR>Downstate>BI

or thereabouts

NSLIJ=Monte>Stony Brook=SLR>Downstate>BI

or thereabouts

Just curious, why do you hold NSLIJ in such regard if Monte,SB,Downstate are all university based? Are there other characteristics?

Also, NSLIJ has 2 programs listed on ERAS. They have separate websites too. There's NUS in manhasset and LIJ in new hyde park. I never know which one people are referring to when they say NSLIJ. Are they different?

Members don't see this ad :)
They were 2 separate IM programs but starting this year they combined the 2 programs into 1 large IM program. The interns starting this year rotate at both hospitals (about 50% each), but the current 2nd and 3rd years are still in their individual programs. I actually applied to both programs, and recieved an email stating that applicants only needed to send in one application to one of the programs since they are combined for this year. There is a new medical school, Hofstra, that will start (I believe this fall), and the plan is to combine all residency programs in LIJ and NS within the coming years.

Just curious, why do you hold NSLIJ in such regard if Monte,SB,Downstate are all university based? Are there other characteristics?

Also, NSLIJ has 2 programs listed on ERAS. They have separate websites too. There's NUS in manhasset and LIJ in new hyde park. I never know which one people are referring to when they say NSLIJ. Are they different?

Monte is clearly a step above any of the others you listed, in terms of both training and fellowship potential. Their training is on par with any of the big 4 NYC schools, although their match lists aren't quite as good. It's also a competitive program to match into, but not quite competitive as the big 4 because of its location in the Bronx.

Below Monte, I would put BI=SLR. Both are community hospitals (regardless if the official title is a university hospital). Both will give excellent training and their residents match well outside of their own hospital. Below that I would put NSLIJ=Downstate=Stony Brook. All three are great places to train at, but many of the residents (either due to their own decision or just inability to do otherwise) do not match much outside of their own institution. Also, if you go down the list (from Monte -> BI=SLR -> NSLIJ=Downstate=Stony Brook), for what it's worth, you go from pretty much all US grads -> US grads + FMGs -> US grads + FMGs + DOs + Caribbean. I think all of the hospitals are great places to do residency at, however, so if one doesn't match into the big 4 they should not be disappointed if they match into any of these.

Does anybody know how many interviews MSSM and columbia offer. Also, how many categorical positions do they each have. Info cannot be found on freida or program websites.

Does anybody know how many interviews MSSM and columbia offer. Also, how many categorical positions do they each have. Info cannot be found on freida or program websites.

MSSM - One click off a Google Search for "Mt Sinai Internal Medicine Residency" brought me here, which states that the current intern class has 52 people in it (not all of which are categorical, but there's a ballpark number for you, 2/3 - 3/4 of them are probably cats).

Columbia - 2 clicks off a Google Search for "Columbia Internal Medicine Residency" brought me to a list of the current house staff. I then took 14 seconds to count the PGY-2 residents (all 44 of them) and now I have the answer.

As for the number of interviews, you'll never see this number in print because it varies from year to year (and is largely irrelevant to your chances of matching). But the conventional wisdom is similar to what applicants are told to do. 10 interviews for 1 spot.

A rough guesstimate then is that each of these programs interviews 400-500 people for their 40-50 slots. Since they're both relatively competitive and sought after programs (esp Columbia), they can probably get away with interviewing fewer people per slot (just like an applicant with Step 1&2 >250, AOA, a PhD and 2 first-author Nature papers can probably get away with fewer interviews than the average applicant) so it's likely they interview more on the order of 300-400 people for their Cat spots.

MSSM - One click off a Google Search for "Mt Sinai Internal Medicine Residency" brought me here, which states that the current intern class has 52 people in it (not all of which are categorical, but there's a ballpark number for you, 2/3 - 3/4 of them are probably cats).

Columbia - 2 clicks off a Google Search for "Columbia Internal Medicine Residency" brought me to a list of the current house staff. I then took 14 seconds to count the PGY-2 residents (all 44 of them) and now I have the answer.

As for the number of interviews, you'll never see this number in print because it varies from year to year (and is largely irrelevant to your chances of matching). But the conventional wisdom is similar to what applicants are told to do. 10 interviews for 1 spot.

A rough guesstimate then is that each of these programs interviews 400-500 people for their 40-50 slots. Since they're both relatively competitive and sought after programs (esp Columbia), they can probably get away with interviewing fewer people per slot (just like an applicant with Step 1&2 >250, AOA, a PhD and 2 first-author Nature papers can probably get away with fewer interviews than the average applicant) so it's likely they interview more on the order of 300-400 people for their Cat spots.

Thanks. This earned me a nice breakfast. My buddy couldn't find this info for one reason or another. He has received interviews from NYU, AE, and Cornell, but not columbia or MSSM.

Thread bump:

What would be a "New York-area Top10 IM residencies?" Don't hold me to exact placement on this list (sample of size 1 does not a good ranking make):

1) Columbia
2) Cornell
3) Mt. Sinai
4) NYU
5) Montefiore
6) North Shore - LIJ
7) Stony Brook
8) UMDNJ - Robert Wood Johnson
9) SUNY Downstate
10) NYMC/ Beth Israel/ UMDNJ - NJMS/ St. Luke's Roosevelt/ Maimonedes etc.

Anything you'd consider grossly wrong with this list? Move up? Move down? Don't care?

Because frankly, although we need lists by Tuesday, I'm reacing the "aaaah @#$@#$-it" portion of this application cycle!

Last edited:
Thread bump:

What would be a "New York-area Top10 IM residencies?" Don't hold me to exact placement on this list (sample of size 1 does not a good ranking make):

1) Columbia
2) Cornell
3) Mt. Sinai
4) NYU
5) Montefiore
6) North Shore - LIJ
7) Stony Brook
8) UMDNJ - Robert Wood Johnson
9) SUNY Downstate
10) NYMC/ Beth Israel/ UMDNJ - NJMS/ St. Luke's Roosevelt

Anything you'd consider grossly wrong with this list? Move up? Move down? Don't care (because although we need lists by Tuesday, I'm reacing the "aaaah @#$@#$-it!" portion of this application cycle)?

Columbia is #1 by far, the next 3 are dependent on what fellowship you are looking to land, malignancy, pt population etc. If you want GI I'd put Sinai #2, Heme/Onc Cornell #2, Cards NYU #2.

1)Columbia
2)Sinai (GI)
3)Cornell (Heme/Onc)
4)NYU (Cards)
5)Montefiore
6)UMDNJ -RWJMS
7)NSLIJ
8)Downstate (Cards in house)
9)Stonybrook
10)Beth Israel
11)St Lukes
12)NYMC
13)UMDNJ Newark

does anyone know approximately how many MDS, DOs, and FMG each class is composed of for montefiore internal medicine? their website does not disclose the staff like some other schools do.

does anyone know approximately how many MDS, DOs, and FMG each class is composed of for montefiore internal medicine? their website does not disclose the staff like some other schools do.

why does it matter?

Members don't see this ad :)
I had talked to program coordinator some time back in Feb, currently there are no FMG's according to her at the moment in the IM program.
Hope it helps.

why does it matter?

Some people cage the strength of the program by the number of IMGs and DOs. It is an inverse correlation.

And just to be fair, it can be someone who is IMG or DO trying to cage the chances s/he will be at that program.

I had talked to program coordinator some time back in Feb, currently there are no FMG's according to her at the moment in the IM program.
Hope it helps.

thas is a lie. there are at least 2-3 three from the DR in this years class. there are DOs as well. They don't advertise for a reason--what that reason is beats me. Most ny schools don't mention where there students come from.

thas is a lie. there are at least 2-3 three from the DR in this years class. there are DOs as well. They don't advertise for a reason--what that reason is beats me. Most ny schools don't mention where there students come from.

I have specifically replied regarding the Foreign Medical Graduates, I haven't mentioned DO or American IMG. Though the Montefiore does give H1/J1 visa but due to high desirability among AMG, DO and even American IMG, they usually don't rank and match FMG.

(I am not participating in this year match and have no conflict of interest.)

can anyone tell me what they think of albert einstein beth israel in new york? what is their reputation and how are they ranked among other internal residency programs in the nation, what is it like being there for IM, etc.

can anyone tell me what they think of albert einstein beth israel in new york? what is their reputation and how are they ranked among other internal residency programs in the nation, what is it like being there for IM, etc.

One thing is for sure, the location of Beth Israel in Manhattan is AMAZING. You can't get any better than having your clinic exactly IN Union Square. The building is a converted hotel (i think). Not sure what it's like to be there, but the residents seemed very happy.

i know this is an amazing location but should i be happy/proud to have matched to beth israel or is it a hospital with little respect and would be difficult for me to find fellowship in competitive specialties such as cardio/GI/allergy

anyone have thoughts on Winthrop University Hospital on Long Island? Is it even in the picture in this discussion?

anyone have thoughts on Winthrop University Hospital on Long Island? Is it even in the picture in this discussion?

After the big name academic/university institutions (Mt Sanai, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, etc), programs like Winthrop, New York Hospital Queens, Maimonides, Lenox Hills are the next mid-tire decent community programs in NY. Of course, there is not much place for discussion of these programs in this thread nor on SDN for that matter :rolleyes:

Last edited:
For what its worth, after finishing my 3rd year core IM rotation at Maimonides, I was very impressed with the program. It may not have the biggest reputation in the city, but I think as a resident one would be very happy there. Nice safe neighborhood, very diverse patient-base and pathology. Lots of teaching going on as well, especially cardiology. Good support from the attendings towards residents. And most importantly, nurses, social workers and other support staff that do their jobs properly! If I wasnt planning on going for a surgical specialty, Maimonides would easily be high on my list of places to go.

Columbia is #1 by far, the next 3 are dependent on what fellowship you are looking to land, malignancy, pt population etc. If you want GI I'd put Sinai #2, Heme/Onc Cornell #2, Cards NYU #2.

1)Columbia
2)Sinai (GI)
3)Cornell (Heme/Onc)
4)NYU (Cards)
5)Montefiore
6)UMDNJ -RWJMS
7)NSLIJ
8)Downstate (Cards in house)
9)Stonybrook
10)Beth Israel
11)St Lukes
12)NYMC
13)UMDNJ Newark

Thread bump!

Any changes at the lower third of the list? We're near that time of year againnn

Thread bump!

Any changes at the lower third of the list? We're near that time of year againnn

I'd say it's still pretty similar, albeit a few changes.

1)Columbia
2)Sinai
3)Cornell
4)NYU
5)Montefiore
6)UMDNJ -RWJMS
7)NSLIJ
8)Stonybrook
9)Beth Israel
10)St Lukes
11)UMDNJ Newark
12)Downstate
13)NYMC

I'd say it's still pretty similar, albeit a few changes.

1)Columbia
2)Sinai
3)Cornell
4)NYU
5)Montefiore
6)UMDNJ -RWJMS
7)NSLIJ
8)Stonybrook
9)Beth Israel
10)St Lukes
11)UMDNJ Newark
12)Downstate
13)NYMC

Wow.. I can't believe it. Downstate lower than BI and SLR?

Sinai #1 if you're doing GI
Cornell #1 if you're doing Hem/Onc (and want a Sloan fellowship)
Columbia #1 if you want anything else (but not by much)

do i stand any chance at getting into cornell, columbia, or sinai with my stats:

DO student
Top 15% of my class
USMLE step 1 - 249

Any more input on mid to lower tier IM programs? I am currently coming up with a list of programs to apply to.

I have a list of 14 programs in NYC/NJ. Of course that list includes my reach schools, which I'm sure I'll get rejected outright... this bring my realistic total to <14. I'd like some recommendations of what other programs to consider as an average US allo graduate.

Going through FREIDA, I have programs that I heard of, but don't know much about. Lincoln, Lutheran, NY Methodist, Wycoff Heights, Winthrop, NY Downtown etc.

There are also some community program affiliated with the big names (Mt Sinai Bronx program, Mt Sinai Queens program, NY Hospital of Queens)

Any thoughts or feedback? The only other way I'm really gauging whether a program is for me is by the looking at the amount of IMGs and DOs.

Any more input on mid to lower tier IM programs? I am currently coming up with a list of programs to apply to.

I have a list of 14 programs in NYC/NJ. Of course that list includes my reach schools, which I'm sure I'll get rejected outright... this bring my realistic total to <14. I'd like some recommendations of what other programs to consider as an average US allo graduate.

Going through FREIDA, I have programs that I heard of, but don't know much about. Lincoln, Lutheran, NY Methodist, Wycoff Heights, Winthrop, NY Downtown etc.

There are also some community program affiliated with the big names (Mt Sinai Bronx program, Mt Sinai Queens program, NY Hospital of Queens)

Any thoughts or feedback? The only other way I'm really gauging whether a program is for me is by the looking at the amount of IMGs and DOs.

All of the programs you listed are 100% FMG. Are you an AMG allo or FMG or a DO?

Does anyone happen to know what the USMLE board scores of the IM residents at the "Big 4" happen to be?

I know this data is not published, but just anecdotally.

I am currently doing an elective at NYP-Cornell and I see their IM resident lists on the floor and their med schools are mostly impressive top tier schools.

The way SDN makes it sound, is that they all scored 260+

I am too coy to ask them directly, for fear of appearing as a malignant personality.

Does anyone happen to know what the USMLE board scores of the IM residents at the "Big 4" happen to be?

I know this data is not published, but just anecdotally.

I am currently doing an elective at NYP-Cornell and I see their IM resident lists on the floor and their med schools are mostly impressive top tier schools.

The way SDN makes it sound, is that they all scored 260+

I am too coy to ask them directly, for fear of appearing as a malignant personality.

If I had to guess, I'd say classwide averages of 230-240 for MSSM, NYU and Cornell and 240+ for Columbia. But, unlike the HMS programs, Hopkins and Duke (among others), the NYC programs (Columbia excepted) will actually look at the whole applicant package and not get too hung up on Step scores above a reasonable cutoff.

Is there any value in demonstrating a gentle and patient personality that puts patient care, advocacy, and welfare first?

This is what is always talked about and is something my new medical school has emphasized rather heavily.

I believe I have a knack for developing rapport with patients and I even manage to get through to the most "difficult" of patients (I know this sounds very boastful, but my intent is just to be specific)

In theory, all med students do this.

But just today, without naming names, I witnessed a doctor getting very defensive with a patient and then essentially put the patient down for "not knowing what he/she was talking about."

Of course as the lowly visiting student, I kept my mouth shut.

But is there value in conveying this quality to the PDs?

Is there any value in demonstrating a gentle and patient personality that puts patient care, advocacy, and welfare first?

This is what is always talked about and is something my new medical school has emphasized rather heavily.

I believe I have a knack for developing rapport with patients and I even manage to get through to the most "difficult" of patients (I know this sounds very boastful, but my intent is just to be specific)

In theory, all med students do this.

But just today, without naming names, I witnessed a doctor getting very defensive with a patient and then essentially put the patient down for "not knowing what he/she was talking about."

Of course as the lowly visiting student, I kept my mouth shut.

But is there value in conveying this quality to the PDs?

It has a lot of value, if you can interview, but you can't put that on paper, and unfortunately the "filter" for most programs is Usmle scores( and school of graduation ie amg, fmg, img).
So yes, you can get a no tact( or psycho, im in this only for the money) md( we all know some of them) with great Usmle scores, and loose a caring compassionate( lousy test taker but good medical knowledge md ) out the door.
I'm sure that if they can interview you, they will see that in you, and you will be fine, just work on your application to make it stand out somehow.
We all know, nice caring docs, with good rapport with patients don't get sued, and everybody wants to work with them.
Good luck bro!

DO student here. If I'm really intent on having a good shot at the mid-teir New York programs (like NSLIJ,SLR, Montefiore,Downstate, Winthrop) how important is it to do an away rotation there?
Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
Is Lenox Hill an IMG friendly visa giving place.. Or it being under NSLIJ has bumped it to higher end of middle tier? Isnt cardiology and interventional is pretty good there? Any inputs would be really appreciated

Bumping.

I know it's not in the invite/rejection thread, but has anyone heard back from Downstate, Maimo, or Lenox?

Bumping.

I know it's not in the invite/rejection thread, but has anyone heard back from Downstate, Maimo, or Lenox?

i don't believe they've started inviting people for interviews yet.

I got an IV from Lenox Hill yesterday. PC at Maimo said yesterday they haven't started reviewing apps yet.

Lenox Hill has sent out invites; last week was the first wave if I recall, I recieved one today.
My friend was invited via Maimo today as well.
Was hoping someone could comment on SUNY Downstate as well..

anyone know how far along Sinai is in sending out interviews?

Lenox Hill has sent out invites; last week was the first wave if I recall, I recieved one today.
My friend was invited via Maimo today as well.
Was hoping someone could comment on SUNY Downstate as well..

I'm currently a student at Downstate. As far as I know, no one in my class has received an invite yet, so I don't believe they've started giving them out yet.