******* NYCOM Class of 2011 Part 2 ******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
do any of the 2nd years have any insight on neuro part I
the test is coming up, any pointers would be extremely helpful and greatly appreciated

1. how to study for the lab portion? what pictures do they actually use on the exam (pictures taken in lab, or from the atlas)?
2. for the written portion, there aren't as many lectures as we have had on other exams, but the material is way more in depth (is studying lecture notes only still enough to pass?)
3. any supplemental materials that helped?

thank you!!!!!!

you didn't think cranial nerves lectures were easy???? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

you didn't think cranial nerves lectures were easy???? :laugh:

Different lectures teach different topics each year for neuro.
Don't forget you can go back to previous year lectures (2010, 2011, etc) and stream those if you think that particular lecturer did a better job explaining things.

Different lectures teach different topics each year for neuro.
Don't forget you can go back to previous year lectures (2010, 2011, etc) and stream those if you think that particular lecturer did a better job explaining things.

who would you roll with for cranial nerves? we had rabin, but you guys had leheste. i'm torn

Members don't see this ad :)
who would you roll with for cranial nerves? we had rabin, but you guys had leheste. i'm torn

I am not sure if both rabin and leheste used the same notes. If notes are different, you may miss some silly questions on the test.
Last year, I felt Leheste did a great job explaining in details about cranial nerves.

Last edited:
notes are different and leheste Qs are relatively easy to predict from his notes (which doesn't help if rabin is writing the Q's) so i'm probably going to stick with rabin i guess.

Hey everyone hope you are enjoying the holidays

so as you all know white coat ceremony is on April 2nd

If by any chance you are not using your guest pass I will need them.

please pm me if you have an extra one.

thanks and gluck studying

Room available in Westbury, NY - 15 min from school, It's clean, quiet, and affordable. One room is available in a 3 bedroom apartment with full bath, kitchen, living room, and washer/dryer :D
Please message me if u r interested (or send the word to anyone who is)

So whats the deal with regional rotations and just applying to different hospitals for 3rd year? Ive heard that doing a regional helps with landing a residency at that spot, but working in different hospitals for different blocks sounds fun.

Also is there a website where I can review feedback from previous classes on their rotations?

So whats the deal with regional rotations and just applying to different hospitals for 3rd year? Ive heard that doing a regional helps with landing a residency at that spot, but working in different hospitals for different blocks sounds fun.

Also is there a website where I can review feedback from previous classes on their rotations?

I was talking to some of the 3rd yrs after the SGA meeting and they all recommended not doing the regional. Their reasoning was that you limit yourself when it comes to getting LORs. With that said, I've often heard that it's the audition rotations you do in 4th year that matter most.

There are a few reviews in the 2010 and 2009 threads for some of the rotation spots. Other than that, the Muslim Student Association is hosting a meeting about rotation sites. There are going to be some 3rd and 4th yr students there to share their experiences with us. I believe the MSA said that the meeting will be shortly after the hospital fair on the 30th.

I'm a regional at Good Sam this year and I really like it. I only recommend the regional if you have a good idea of what you want to do and that hospital you're applying to for the regional has that residency program.

It definitely has some pros...the biggest being you get to know all the residents at the hospital pretty well so you know if you fit in and if you really want to go there for your residency (they also get to know you and know if they want you as a future resident). You don't have to worry about potentially moving every 6 weeks and being stuck in Buffalo or Pennsylvania. Another thing about Good Sam is that they don't have a teaching service for medical students for Psych so we got to pick where we wanted to go...most of us went to LIJ which if supposedly NYCOM's top psych rotation.

The big con is if you end up hating the hospital then you've wasted a year of showcasing at places you'd want to go for your residency...this is a HUGE con! You still have about 3-5 rotations in the beginning of 4th year to see other places before your applications have to be in though...

If you apply for a regional remember that the regional was originally designed for the students from the region of the hospital specifically. At Good Sam there are 9 of who are regionals and 8 of us are from Suffolk or Nassau. They originally chose 15 of us but some of the people who matched here went to other places. Other hospitals though like St Barnabis in the Bronx and NUMC have students from all over. I think Barnabis in Jersey has people only from Jersey.

Were you recently selected to be a St Barnabas Scholar for 2009?:cool:

Checkout the perfect apartment! This 2 bedroom apartment
is just one block from St Barnabas Bronx in a building full
of Barnabas residents and other students. Second floor walk
up has high ceilings and hardwood floors, was completely
redone 1 year ago and is conveniently located within a
block of laundry, grocery store, café and other
amenities. There’s nothing like waking up just 10 minutes
before those early morning surgery rounds and you can
avoid alternate side parking rules by leaving your car in
SBH’s secure lot:thumbup:. Rent is $700 a month + deposit and
includes heat and hot water. 1 room is available for rent
by either gender, other room occupied by your Student DO
of the Year - Dan Murphy, a clean, quiet, male 4th year who is
remaining and will be doing several rotations at SBH next
year. Room available July 1st.

For more info or to see the place call or email Dan at 516-
669-6462 or [email protected].

Dan

Anyone from the Brooklyn area wanna swap hospitals with me? I have Wycoff Heights for peds/ob ...

Members don't see this ad :)
i guys
i wanted ask your something...
unfortunately, i screwed up in into lect/anatomy portion...need 1 more point to pass. OMM is good 93.
any chance they'll let me slide and not remediate... and if i do remediate do i have to take omm over or just lect/anatomy part. isince many of you are second yrs you might have heard about stuff like this
Thanks

to graduation! congratulations class of 2011.

as graduating 4th years, we just wanted to congratulate you on getting through it all. now all you have left is a few obstacles: showcasing and board exams! we're selling a few of our books that helped us get to where we are now - allo IM residency. so if you have any questions or want any advice, please feel free to send us a PM!

if you're interested in glancing at the list of books or purchasing it from us:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=718152

hi 3rd years,

I know you're worried about getting your schedules on track for 4th year. Showcasing is very important because this is the time where you're going to meet the right people and get the right people to write you a letter of recommendation...

but as important as showcasing is, and as important as a letter of recommendation is, your scores for your level2 / step2 is just as important if not more so. a lot of residencies are looking to see that you have a decent score before they grant you an interview, and they're looking for a good score before they sign you for a prematch or even rank you for the match...

so make sure you take your boards AND pass them! :cool:

if you're interested in some step2 books, please check out the link:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=9553324

and if you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask! :)

Hey guys, I'm posting this for my landlord:

Clean, well kept 1 bedroom, 1 bath garden/basement apartment of a private house in Little Neck, NY (Marathon Pkwy. and Northern Blvd.) available in June, ALL UTILITIES INCLUDED in rent price of $1150/mo (except cable/internet). Great location for rotations, easy access to highways and is about 5-10 minutes from LIJ and North Shore Manhasset. About 20 minutes from NYCOM. 1 block away from Stop and Shop and many great restaurants, stores, post office, etc. Nice and quiet neighborhood. 1st month's rent + 1 month security deposit.

FEATURES:
-Private side entrance
-Open kitchen with lots of cabinet space
-Spacious bedroom with 2 large double door custom made closets
-Has 3 18x30" windows, 2 large 28x36" windows
-Tile floors throughout
-Landlords are very nice, older couple + son live upstairs in the house. They are very quiet and the husband is very handy.

For further information please PM me and I can answer questions and give contact info. Thanks!

Hi guys,

congrats on almost being 4th years! now focus on studying for your comlex level 2 boards, and excel in your showcasing rotations! if you guys have any questions about showcasing, boards, etc...because we know it's hard to get some straight answers sometimes... please don't hesitate to email us! nycomgrads{at}yahoo{dot}com.

and if you haven't bought any step2 or level2 review books yet, please take a look at what we have and get it at a deep discount
!
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=9651662#post9651662