******* NYCOM Class of 2011 Part 2 ******

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey c/o 2011ers.... how often did you have quizzes and tests? did you have a couple tests per system (or something like that)?

The first month and a half is going to blow at NYCOM so brace yourselves for it. You will have a quiz everyweek and then a test everyweek that you don't have a quiz. Usually every 2-3 weeks is a test in Intro. to Osteo. Musculoskeletal has no quizzes but a test every 3 weeks. Then neuro is every 2 weeks for 3-4 months. Neuro will burn you guys out so brace for it..There is no room to breathe in neuro..Neuro is not hard, let me stress it again it is not hard...But you will be burnt out and hanging by a thread which makes it harder to keep the material in your head...Immuno theres a test every 4 weeks I believe (2 total) and derm theres a test every 2 weeks. It is not hard at all, just stay with material and be smart when you study and you will do fine!:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

The first month and a half is going to blow at NYCOM so brace yourselves for it. You will have a quiz everyweek and then a test everyweek that you don't have a quiz. Usually every 2-3 weeks is a test in Intro. to Osteo. Musculoskeletal has no quizzes but a test every 3 weeks. Then neuro is every 2 weeks for 3-4 months. Neuro will burn you guys out so brace for it..There is no room to breathe in neuro..Neuro is not hard, let me stress it again it is not hard...But you will be burnt out and hanging by a thread which makes it harder to keep the material in your head...Immuno theres a test every 4 weeks I believe (2 total) and derm theres a test every 2 weeks. It is not hard at all, just stay with material and be smart when you study and you will do fine!:thumbup:

wow, great breakdown. i tend to prefer more exams, even if i am freaked out about the start of school now. thanks for the fast response!

DESPERATELY SEEKING ROOMMATE! I was accepted at another school and decided to go there instead. I have a really nice room in a 3 bedroom 2 bath apt in Glen Cove. $575 a month. heat, water and 2 awesome roommates included. message me for details. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
wow, great breakdown. i tend to prefer more exams, even if i am freaked out about the start of school now. thanks for the fast response!

You will see in neuro because u will have a test on monday..You will take a break until thursday or friday and just do a little over the weekend and then the next week is a test again. Every two weeks is horrible you will see in neuro with anatomy practicals and omm practicals also!

Hey guys, I was wondering when to buy books and all the other things for school, because after finding a place and buying the basics for that place, I'm BROKE. Could I wait until I get my refund or is that too late?
Thanks

Hey guys, I was wondering when to buy books and all the other things for school, because after finding a place and buying the basics for that place, I'm BROKE. Could I wait until I get my refund or is that too late?
Thanks

For books, definitely wait.
There are only a handful of books that are absolute necessary. The rest you can go without. For some books, you only need them for like a week and you don't need them again until the next block.
Definitely use NYCOM medical library. It has a lot of books that you can take out. See if it goes with your learning style and buy only if you like it. (To avoid running out of books in the library, always borrow books early in the block).
Also, there are book sale events from upperclassmen where you can get some books for really cheap price.

Intro to Osteo lasts from august to the first week of october..You will cover a lot of random **** especially from McWhinney..It will be fun!

Maybe someone can elaborate on what types of "random ****" we will be studying and how during Intro to Osteo Med? What subjects will we specifically be studying? How is the material presented? Is it random as they are not related in their presentation, meaning we study several subjects independently of each other similar to undergrad. I was under the impression that topics were taught by system?

Maybe someone can elaborate on what types of "random ****" we will be studying and how during Intro to Osteo Med? What subjects will we specifically be studying? How is the material presented? Is it random as they are not related in their presentation, meaning we study several subjects independently of each other similar to undergrad. I was under the impression that topics were taught by system?

Intro to osteo is a waster of your time. NYCOM could do a better job with it and make it more beneficial to you as a student. However, it is what it is? The random stuff mostly comes from McWhiney. Otherwise I cannot remember for sure. All I know is that I did not learn anything beneficial from Intro. to Osteo..After the intro. it gets much better. Intro. is not hard, it is just all over the place! When it's done you will know what I'm talking about. It is hard for me to put it into words! Good luck

Intro to osteo is a waster of your time. NYCOM could do a better job with it and make it more beneficial to you as a student. However, it is what it is? The random stuff mostly comes from McWhiney. Otherwise I cannot remember for sure. All I know is that I did not learn anything beneficial from Intro. to Osteo..After the intro. it gets much better. Intro. is not hard, it is just all over the place! When it's done you will know what I'm talking about. It is hard for me to put it into words! Good luck

Intro is pretty haphazard and all over the place! :laugh:. However the biggest benefit to me was introducing the pace of medical school with material that you've probably already covered in your pre-reqs. If we had to start with totally new material (like for instance neuro or something) and adjust to medical school pace I probably would not have done as well.

About the omm lab dress code, do we (girls) really have to show our backs and can we wear yoga pants, cropped or regular?

About the omm lab dress code, do we (girls) really have to show our backs and can we wear yoga pants, cropped or regular?

As long as your pants don't have any zippers/snaps/metal/plastic buttons hanging off (they damage the tables and the faculty are strict about it) they should be fine. As far as tops, girls just wear tank or halter tops.

Yes you really have to show your backs. Racer-back bras are not ok. Halters are best (they ease up after a month or so, but at first they're pretty strict). If you have religious reasons why you don't want to expose yourself, you can wear a button up shirt backwards, and just unbutton when you need to expose your back.
As for pants, you have to have shorts on underneath. Occasionally they'll go around and check, and you get marked off if you aren't dressed appropriately, but mostly just when they are mad about something else.

This year will be much better if Favre goes to the Jets. :love::luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I am a class 2012 student. I am wondering if you guys can give me some tips on driving to school. I commute from east long island (exit 70) and sometimes queens. I usually take the exit 39 on LIE when coming from east side and go to 25a to school but I know you could take exit 41N instead then to the 107 north? Which way is actually better (less traffic) during school year? What about from exit 18 (LIE) to school, any alternative route that is better than LIE ?
Thank you. :)

Hi, I am a class 2012 student. I am wondering if you guys can give me some tips on driving to school. I commute from east long island (exit 70) and sometimes queens. I usually take the exit 39 on LIE when coming from east side and go to 25a to school but I know you could take exit 41N instead then to the 107 north? Which way is actually better (less traffic) during school year? What about from exit 18 (LIE) to school, any alternative route that is better than LIE ?

With the exception of one (and I'm sure he'll be on here to give you tips for travel) everyone I know who lived that far ended up moving closer to school within the first few months. Honestly, you may wanna think about it cuz it's a lot harder to find an apartment in January than August.

a couple of questions:
1. is there a specific color of scrubs that we need for lab?
2. how many pairs of scrubs do you guys have?
3. are there any suggestions for places to eat around campus that are affordable?
4. how do you guys prepare for a specific topic in class, i.e. in undergrad they would give you assigned readings?

thanks in advance guys!

a couple of questions:
3. are there any suggestions for places to eat around campus that are affordable?
4. how do you guys prepare for a specific topic in class, i.e. in undergrad they would give you assigned readings?

thanks in advance guys!

1. Nope

2. A few, you'll probably want to keep anatomy scrubs separate from OMM scrubs.

3.There's a caf on campus that most people eat at. There are pizza and chinese food places not far away if that's what you mean.

4. The syllabus will have assigned reading on it. It will probably be more beneficial to read the notes ahead of time instead of the books since those are what most faculty focus on.

a couple of questions:

thanks in advance guys!

1) any color is fine
2) I have about 4. I threw out my anatomy scrubs when I was done. They stank and I never got the smell out.
3) Lots of fast food just down the road: wendy's, BK, Moe's. You could also go to the grocery to pick up a sandwich or something.
4) They post the reading assignment on noodle. I usually went to class and tried to stay mentally alert while lecture was going on. I'd then try and read the powerpoint after class to reinforce what I learned while it was fresh.

I know a couple people who drive but we live around exit 51. I have used both exits in the past and it takes about the same time to get to school.

When children and college tudents start school traffic will be bad. Coming from exit 51 I must leave about 1 hr before class. I spend 30 min on LIE and another 20 min getting to school from 41N (which sucks).

Good luck

I know that everyone probably developed their own studying pattern and knows what works for them but I was wondering how much work you guys put in everyday after class, and what exactly do you do to stay on top of things? (do you guys read the lectures and memorize them everyday after class, do you read background material from textbooks, make study guides for yourself??!?)

I read the day's notes each night (varying amounts of time). I read from books when I need clarification. Then I spend the weekend reenforcing what we learned that week. I don't rewrite notes or make study guides (waste of time for me) but plenty of people swear by that method. You'll have to see what works best for you.

A word of advice: don't fall behind! Stay on top of it all from day 1!

I'm having a tough time finding scrubs that fit me, even the petite ones are big! I did buy some Katherine heigl ones online but was wondering where did you guys get yours?

I'm having a tough time finding scrubs that fit me, even the petite ones are big! I did buy some Katherine heigl ones online but was wondering where did you guys get yours?

Try Allheart.com. They have every style of scrub in existence :)

Honestly, go to walmart, get cheap scrubs and roll them. Or hem them if you know how to.

Hi everyone, I'm a member of the NYCOM class of 2012, and I was wondering if classes always start at 8:00 am during the first year, or if that's only at the beginning... also, is there anyone out there taking public transportation to get to NYCOM? If so, what do you take?

Thanks in advance for any help with this, and good luck to everyone!!:)

Its usually 8 on MWF and 9 on Tues and Thurs. This isnt a rule but a general theme. As for Pub transport Im not sure but i know it is difficult. There is a bus that stops right at the NYIT entrance but im not sure about what it is.

It seems as every1 goes to class, goes home to study then there are tests every Monday which means studying over the weekend--> Does anyone have time for a relationships and/or socializing?

Yes you will have time, but not as much in the beginning. Later after neuro or after anatomy is done you have a good amount of time. Intro is ****ty though, no matter what. Intro is a quiz every monday and a test every few weeks, but the quizzes all add up to like 10% total or something so just do fine on the tests and so-so on the quizes and your good. DOn't waste time learning everything for the quizzes. After intro, musculo is not as bad. Pm me if you have questions, I used to hate school and almost quick after intro, but you can do it if I did lol.

When is anatomy done? I was under the impression that anatomy (at least the dissection lab) lasts the entire first year.

Do they really keep track of how many pages you print at the library? I read that they only allow 10 pages. But is that 10 pages per printing job, or 10 pages per day? Either way, is there really a way for them to keep track?

Is there any other place to print besides the NYCOM library? Like some NYIT facility? I'm planning on taking notes on my computer and then printing them out later, so I'm probably going to have a lot to print out.
Thanks in advance!

Anatomy is done in in feb. I dunno with the printing. I didn't really print out ****. You can write notes on the packets they print out for you with the lec notes.

Do they really keep track of how many pages you print at the library? I read that they only allow 10 pages. But is that 10 pages per printing job, or 10 pages per day? Either way, is there really a way for them to keep track?

Is there any other place to print besides the NYCOM library? Like some NYIT facility? I'm planning on taking notes on my computer and then printing them out later, so I'm probably going to have a lot to print out.
Thanks in advance!

You can only print ppt's in the nycom lib if you convert them to pdf's. You can only print 10 pages at a time, so if you have more, you have to select the pages for each print job. If you want to print more you can go to the NYIT library.

Thanks. Nice to know we have another option.

where is the nycom gym? I went downstairs in the serota bldg and saw the locker rooms but couldn't find the gym- then again maybe it was locked?

Sorry to beat this topic to a pulp, but by tops do you mean tanks or sports bra/ bikini tops? I know we are supposed to have halters, I just want to make sure I'm not the only one in a halter sports bra if I could have worn a halter tank instead...

Hey, another OMM attire question. Must one have scrubs for OMM or is it alright for guys to just have gym shorts and a t-shirt? Of course, the t-shirt would be taken off when being examined.

Hey, another OMM attire question. Must one have scrubs for OMM or is it alright for guys to just have gym shorts and a t-shirt? Of course, the t-shirt would be taken off when being examined.

You don't need to wear scrubs. Shorts and a tshirt is fine.

Hey all,
Is anyone still looking for a place to live or looking for a roommate?

where is the nycom gym? I went downstairs in the serota bldg and saw the locker rooms but couldn't find the gym- then again maybe it was locked?

Im pretty sure the Gym is in the basement of the library

Im pretty sure the Gym is in the basement of the library

The gym is across from the locker rooms. It's a big brown door that is locked and has no windows, so you wouldn't know it was a gym until it's open.

We just got our schedule and woo.. overwhelming..

I have a few questions.

Are the readings on the schedule for the first year mandatory? Will the quizzes/exams be on them?
We have our first quiz on Monday and there are readings for the first week out of books that I have not purchased. I was planning on buying textbooks from Amazon, which will take awhile for delivery. So do you guys think I should just go ahead and buy the books from the bookstore if the quizzes are in fact from the readings?
I remember reading somewhere that 25% of material tested will be from the readings, so I'm wondering how in the world people who I've seen say they haven't really bought many books study well. 'Cause it seems like the readings are definitely from quite a few different books.

I have a few questions.

Are the readings on the schedule for the first year mandatory? Will the quizzes/exams be on them?
We have our first quiz on Monday and there are readings for the first week out of books that I have not purchased. I was planning on buying textbooks from Amazon, which will take awhile for delivery. So do you guys think I should just go ahead and buy the books from the bookstore if the quizzes are in fact from the readings?
I remember reading somewhere that 25% of material tested will be from the readings, so I'm wondering how in the world people who I've seen say they haven't really bought many books study well. 'Cause it seems like the readings are definitely from quite a few different books.

For us, Quizzes/Exams were only from the powerpoints. If they didn't teach you in class, it won't be on the test. With that said, you can do really well just by understanding and knowing the notes really well.
So you don't need the books right away. If you need a book in urgent, you should try borrowing from the library. They do run out of books quickly, so you might want to hurry.
Aside from Grant's dissector, I couldn't think of any absolutely necessary book right now.

Eventually you gonna need to read the books for boards. Reading from books give you a better picture and understanding.

I have a few questions.

DPR will take from Bates on the exams. Also, the anatomy department will occasionally get nit picky and pull a question from the book. 95% of exam questions come from the power points... use the texts if you have time and if you don't understand something from the lecture and notes alone.

Don't waste your money and buy books. You'll meet with a second year this week and he or she will give you advice on what to buy.

Great. Thank you MCATT and Vee. I just borrowed some of the texts like Moore, DiGiovanni etc from the library today. I'm going to use them for a test run, and will only buy them if I find that I'll have time to really read them since I'm lecture based track.

Great. Thank you MCATT and Vee. I just borrowed some of the texts like Moore, DiGiovanni etc from the library today. I'm going to use them for a test run, and will only buy them if I find that I'll have time to really read them since I'm lecture based track.

So am I. You still have Doctor Patient Relations or DPR (which isn't the same as DPC, in case that was confusing).

I have a few questions.

What it actually says is, at most, 25% of the material will come from readings.

Do we need:
Essential Cell Bio.
Medical Micro.
T&T Genetics in Medicine
An Ostepathic Approach to Diag. and Treat.
Theime's Atlas of Anatomy
Clinically Oriented Embry.
Bates
Epidemiology

AND

If I don't have these books, how would this affect me when it comes to the assigned readings?

dont get any of those books. maybe bates, but even that is debatable.

we went over the symptoms of the first case study and were asked to type up the answers to the questions for Thursday's class, are these responses handed in? graded? waste of time?

we went over the symptoms of the first case study and were asked to type up the answers to the questions for Thursday's class, are these responses handed in? graded? waste of time?

You need to hand them in.
I don't think they are graded, but doing them is helpful for the exam. Usually, questions from cases come from those handout.