NYCOM class of 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't get it either, but it is prettey simple to set up. Go to www.NYIT.edu

1) click on my mail
2)click on new account or forgot password (right under the word login in big blue letters)
3)In the right corner it will say enter student ID and last name. ( your student ID # is on any of the bills the school sent you.)
4) Go to step two type in the code shown (it is case sensative) and press enter and you will be on your way. Follow the rest of the directions given to you.

Thank you. I could not see "my mail " thought probably someting wrong with my security settings since i cannot see smiley icons on this forum too. I'll figure it out and try to do it again.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't get anything about a freshman send off. Ayone else get something about that? When did you get it Kissachka?

Actually since i did not reply on that freshman send off when i got it, some lady called me yesterday and asked if i want to attend and how many people are going...

Thank you. I could not see "my mail " thought probably someting wrong with my security settings since i cannot see smiley icons on this forum too. I'll figure it out and try to do it again.

I left out a step go to www.NYIT.edu and then click on NYIT connect and there you can click on my mail.

Members don't see this ad :)
I left out a step go to www.NYIT.edu and then click on NYIT connect and there you can click on my mail.

I fixed that smiley issue:) And thank you for your help with the e-mail. It works now!!! Thanks again.

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knows if a test schedule has been posted? I know the second years received theirs, but I haven't seen one posted for 2011. :confused:

Hey,
im applying for the gradplus loan and was wondering whether i should go with the nycom approved lenders or should i try to find a better lender somewhere? What did those of you who have applied already done? On the site to apply nycom only recommends 4 different lenders thats why im wondering if there are better ones out there.

Hey,
im applying for the gradplus loan and was wondering whether i should go with the nycom approved lenders or should i try to find a better lender somewhere? What did those of you who have applied already done? On the site to apply nycom only recommends 4 different lenders thats why im wondering if there are better ones out there.

I went with T.H.E for GradPLUS and for the Federal Loans, it was no problem. I think u should pick the one that fits better for u,offers more benefits and etc.

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knows if a test schedule has been posted? I know the second years received theirs, but I haven't seen one posted for 2011. :confused:

I wouldn't worry about exams until we have learned something to be tested on. Relax and enjoy the second to last free summer of your life. The last will be next year.:lol:

I wouldn't worry about exams until we have learned something to be tested on. Relax and enjoy the second to last free summer of your life. The last will be next year.:lol:

haha, no im not so much worrying about them (at least not yet...hehe) as much as id like to plan a vacation- so I want to know when i'll be free :)

Kappy1, Are you LB or DPC???

The 2nd years have off Dec. 18 to January 3rd this year. We have a test on dec. 17th so we'll actually have these 2 weeks free. Last year we had only one week off and had an exam as soon as we came back. If it's the same for you guys I wouldn't go ahead and plan any vacations. Considering that attendance is now mandatory I wouldnt recommend missing a few days of school after an exam.

Also...just a reminder to the '11s... If I have to offer any advice, it's bust your butt during fundamentals. Personally, I felt that fundamentals was the most difficult unit we had last year. It contained an overview of too much material and it was very difficult to know what you really needed to know for the test so honestly, try to learn everything. Don't slack off until after fundamentals when you'll start to learn how you need to study and what different lecturers are going to test you on.

big moving day today, boston to queens. see you all in a few weeks!

The 2nd years have off Dec. 18 to January 3rd this year. We have a test on dec. 17th so we'll actually have these 2 weeks free. Last year we had only one week off and had an exam as soon as we came back. If it's the same for you guys I wouldn't go ahead and plan any vacations. Considering that attendance is now mandatory I wouldnt recommend missing a few days of school after an exam.

Also...just a reminder to the '11s... If I have to offer any advice, it's bust your butt during fundamentals. Personally, I felt that fundamentals was the most difficult unit we had last year. It contained an overview of too much material and it was very difficult to know what you really needed to know for the test so honestly, try to learn everything. Don't slack off until after fundamentals when you'll start to learn how you need to study and what different lecturers are going to test you on.

Thank you for your advice. How long fundamentals section going on? Is this a same fundamentals for DPC ot it works differently??

Members don't see this ad :)

I am very nervous and I want to do great can I get the 1st year notes from any of the older NYCOMers and study them before the start of the school?

I fixed that smiley issue:) And thank you for your help with the e-mail. It works now!!! Thanks again.

Your welcome. Glad I could help.;)

I am very nervous and I want to do great can I get the 1st year notes from any of the older NYCOMers and study them before the start of the school?

You're making the rest of us look bad :)...enjoy the summer and relax. Everyone was really nervous about starting undergrad and look at what a joke that turned out to be. I'm sure this will be difficult but you have to go into it with a fresh and relaxed head because otherwise you will just burn out way too quickly. We're all starting on the same foot and countless others have doen it before us so I'm sure it's nothing to get so nervous about...How sad, I'm at the galapagos and still I check SDN lol.

Is anyone else getting really excited to move? I am so looking foward to it, I can hardly wait. My move in date is in a couple weeks, but I can't wait to move! I've been buying stuff throughout the year whenever I saw something that was nice and cheap since the only school I could have feasibly commuted to rejected me. And I cannot wait to use it all. I ordered furniture and it will be delivered to the apartment, and I can't wait to have a bigger bed. My room n the apartment is about 3 times bigger than my room now, so I upgradd my bed from a twin to a full, and I love to stretch out when I sleep, so I'm so excited. I've got sheets that I can't wait to open. I think I'm more excited about decorating my room more than anything.

I also have a few boxes where I've been putting stuff that I bought for my apartment that have gotten scattered around my apartment, the basement, and the storage shed. I've been going around all weeked collecting everything, and yet I still seem to be missing stuff. I'll be so happy once I actually move though, I can't believe its actually going to happen soon!

Yes. I am totally amped. Let's do this!

I'm very psyched to start!! I just got a new car the other day so it's a big adjustment from taking the subway everywhere for the last 12 yrs :) All in all, it's been a pretty good summer!

Maybe one of the second years can answer this question for me- I am looking to purchase a laptop (Mac) and was wondering if it is absolutely necessary to have Windows installed to be able to stream/utilize all of NYCOMs resources? Thanks

Maybe one of the second years can answer this question for me- I am looking to purchase a laptop (Mac) and was wondering if it is absolutely necessary to have Windows installed to be able to stream/utilize all of NYCOMs resources? Thanks
From NYCOM Class of 2011 Handbook:

VII. Some of the services, in particular streaming video from past years, the PDA logs ‎software etc. are supported only on the Windows platform. Similarly, technical assistance ‎with routine issues is most efficiently possible only with a laptop / tablet.‎

on the other hand...

‎9. The PDA Project: For the last five years, we have provided all NYCOM students with ‎PDAs in their third year. While on clinical rotations, the students use these PDAs as a ‎reference resource and to log patient encounter data on a daily basis.‎

and IF these PDAs are Pocket PC based you definitly want a windows computer.. I am no sure how palm works
Maybe palm can work with Mac.

Hi Im A First Year Still Loking For Housing ... Anyone Looking For A Roomie... I Am Neat And Clean And Am Looking For The Same Aspects In Roomies...pm Me If Your Looking

Has Anyone Commuted From Bklyn Using The Mta??? Is It Possible.. I Wont Be Getting A Car 'till Sept!!!!

Has Anyone Commuted From Bklyn Using The Mta??? Is It Possible.. I Wont Be Getting A Car 'till Sept!!!!

Only ways to commute by public transportation:
1) MTA bus/train or walking to local LIRR station. LIRR to Old Westbury, Greenvale, or Hicksville (my choice if you want to use a bus instead of cab to get to school from LIRR). You could take a cab($10-$13 Greenvale, $20 Old Westbury, Greenvale not sure) from any of these stations to NYCOM. Greenvale and Hicksville stations you could take N20 bus.

2)MTA to Flushing station. Last stop on 7 train. LOOOOONNNG ride (40mins-hour without bad weather) to NYCOM on N20 ($2). If there is bad weather DONT take the N20 bus from flushing. Once I was on there for 1hour 20mins and still on the campus so I just got off at Great Neck LIRR stop and went back home. Taking the N20 to connect from LIRR is ok though since it is only 5 minute ride from Greenvale and 20 minute ride from Hicksville.

there is an N20/N21 schedule in the NYCOM undergrad library

The N20/N21 are the ONLY buses that stop on the NYCOM campus.

Expensive and time consuming so you should try to find a car pool via SDN or NYCOM Webboard. This is your best bet. Even renting a car might make more sense.

i love my Mac and wouldn't have a PC if they paid me. i do, though have a partitioned hard drive (use BootCamp) and run windows using less than 10% of my disk space. need it to stream.

i love my Mac and wouldn't have a PC if they paid me. i do, though have a partitioned hard drive (use BootCamp) and run windows using less than 10% of my disk space. need it to stream.

so i have to get boot camp?? icky
i thought i could get away without it....

apple united :)

I'm very psyched to start!! I just got a new car the other day so it's a big adjustment from taking the subway everywhere for the last 12 yrs :) All in all, it's been a pretty good summer!

congrats on your new car!!
Mind telling what it is? :)

yay for corolla's! i love mine too :)

yay for corolla's! i love mine too :)

I got a kind of Corolla. I have a Matrix, which is the body of the corolla but higher. I traded in my 13 year old Camry for it, the new Camry's are just too big, I feel like my passangers are in anothrt zip code. Yay for Toyotas.

Hey All,

Just wanted to introduce myself...My name is Kristin and I am a second year at NYCOM. Congrats to all of you!

If you have any questions at all, please let me know! I'd be happy to help!

Look forward to meeting all of you!

:)

So...I've just moved to Queens and need to set up broadband/cable high speed internet. We won't be having a landline and the place is already set up with direct tv (who told me to get my internet somewhere else since what they could offer me is slow and expensive), does anyone know some companies that I could call? Thanks!

I've been getting some PMs from some 2011ers about classes and schedules so here is something I posted before that will answer most of those questions for those of you who missed it!

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I've noticed that as you guys get closer to starting your first year a bunch of the same questions have been asked again regarding schedules and orientation by new people so here are some responses that I wrote in the months past to a few of those questions.

:cool: ORIENTATION :cool:

Last year orientation was one day. We were introduced to the administration and faculty, some older students answered some questions, I think there was a fin aid spiel, we got our IDs, Parking, and mailboxes, and we got that speech you see on tv that goes something like "congratulation on your acceptance into medical school...today is the first day of the next, and arguably most difficult, chapter of your lives, carpe diem, study your asses off but be sure to take time for your personal lives as well." Then there was a big group hug and that was that.

Classes started the next day at 8am and went until 5 o'clock. The Friday of that week there was a 'big brother big sister bbq' where every first year got paired up with a second year and they sat around and showed the newbies the ropes.

:cool: FIRST YEAR COURSES :cool:

This is what we've taken first year, it should be the same for you guys:

Fundamentals of Osteopathic Medicine
-Basically a review of everything you wanted and didn't want to know about undergrad science courses plus
-8/22-10/6

Musculoskeletal System
-10/7 until a few days before Thanksgiving

Neurology and Human Behavior
-Broken up into three sections:
-from after Thanksgiving until a few days after New Years
-New Years until the first week of Feb.
-Feb. until 3/6

Immunology and Hematology
-3/7- 4/30

Integumentary System (skin)
-5/1-5/30

They'll more than likely change the exact dates but that is how we had it so you can get a feel of how it goes. They also changed the order for 2010 from 2009 so they may do that again for 2011.

You will also have anatomy and OMM lab throughout the entire year. The practicals were all on the same day as the written exams, except for in fundamentals where the practical was given a day after the written. You will cover the anatomy of the entire body first year.

:cool: DAILY SCHEDULE :cool:

The fullest it would be for lecture based is Monday, Wednesday, Friday 8-12 and Tuesday, Thursday 8-5.

OMM lab is on a Monday or Wednesday (2 hours) so that day you'll be in school from 8-10 or 10-12 depending what group you're in. Anatomy lab is Monday or Wednesday (3 hours), which ever day you don't have OMM so that day you'll be in school from 9-12. Some weeks you don't have anatomy so then you get a day off. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday is just regular class. Everyday we have lunch from 12-1.

Class from 8-12 or 8-5 is on a fully booked day. Most of the time its really like 9-12 or 8-3 on a long day. It depends on how many lectures they have scheduled. You do not pick your classes or make a schedule, everyone has it the same, except for when you have lab.

That's how it is for us first years this year. I'd imagine it will be identical or very similar next year for you guys!

so i just saw that we need to have our insurance forms in by august (the waitver at least). it was posted on the 23rd, and i just found out now! but i'm going to copy and fax everything tomorrow. dominic gagnon left has his fax at the bottom. is it okay to fax it to him?

So...I've just moved to Queens and need to set up broadband/cable high speed internet. We won't be having a landline and the place is already set up with direct tv (who told me to get my internet somewhere else since what they could offer me is slow and expensive), does anyone know some companies that I could call? Thanks!

Comcast will handle your internet and/or voip. i like them. i live in queens.

so i just saw that we need to have our insurance forms in by august (the waitver at least). it was posted on the 23rd, and i just found out now! but i'm going to copy and fax everything tomorrow. dominic gagnon left has his fax at the bottom. is it okay to fax it to him?

I was there last week, and I actually talked to him. I can't get my parents insurance until I'm enrolled, the school won't say I'm enrolled until orientation, I can't fill out the waiver until I get put back on my parents insurance, so he said they'll deal with it at orientation. So I don't think it's a hard and fast deadline.

I was under the impression that insurance waivers would be handled during Orientation. What's the dealio? thanks

They should rename NYCOM to New York Corollas of Osteopathic Medicine, lol!

lol... nice one!!

I was under the impression that insurance waivers would be handled during Orientation. What's the dealio? thanks

I called the school a few weeks ago and they confirmed that the waivers will be taken care of at the orientation.

lol... nice one!!

I called the school a few weeks ago and they confirmed that the waivers will be taken care of at the orientation.

thanks

Did anyone cancel medical and dental insurance?
I am also looking for a car. Anyone know anyone who is selling one? Thanks

Hey guys/girls. Another NYCOM student (David Parizh) and I have been checking out apartments and found a pretty nice 3BR house, everything brand new, never been lived in before, in Glen Cove for $2,000. So, we're looking for a third roommate. I think we can also get the rend down a little bit. If you just got off the waitlist or are still looking for a place to live, get back to me. Give me a call (Geoff Harlow) at (585) 319-9146 or message me on here. The landlord is a plumber and and a great handy man. We're pretty pumped about school and very happy with the apartment, we just need a third roommate. Look forward to hearing from you. Later!

Just a heads up for everyone. All of you who received the "freshmen sendoff" invitation..I called up today and asked what its all about. Apparently the dean invited 1/3 of the class randomly over his house for a meet and greet bbq. This is the first year something like this has been done, so they are hoping it will be a success. So...who is going?

Just a heads up for everyone. All of you who received the "freshmen sendoff" invitation..I called up today and asked what its all about. Apparently the dean invited 1/3 of the class randomly over his house for a meet and greet bbq. This is the first year something like this has been done, so they are hoping it will be a success. So...who is going?

Wow that's crazy. Is it the dean (Dr. Scandalis) or Dr. Elkowitz? I read a post earlier where someone said that it was being hosted by Elkowitz.

Status
Not open for further replies.