NYCOM class of 2011!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, that would be a good question to ask the NYCOM Office of Student Services. The Handbooks says the waiver must be on file 2 weeks after the onset of this academic year. There is a good chance you will be given a credit on your student account once you hand in the waiver. Def. check with NYCOM.

I'm actually headng to LI on Monday, so I may just stop by and ask them. I know a need a letter that I'll be enrolled full time so I can get back on the insurance, so maybe I'll ask for it then too.

For me, I didn't take out enough to cover the insurance, so I owuld have to pay it out of pocket then, but that extra $2,000 or so is not something I could exactly afford.

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone!

sooooo i literally just got accepted the other day and am SUPER excited, but a little freaked out b/c there is so much to do in so little time.
anyone want to fill me on what i've missed and what i should take care of asap?

thanks so much and see you all in a month :)

hey everyone!

sooooo i literally just got accepted the other day and am SUPER excited, but a little freaked out b/c there is so much to do in so little time.
anyone want to fill me on what i've missed and what i should take care of asap?

thanks so much and see you all in a month :)

Congrats! on the acceptance!!! I would get going on FAFSA if you didn't fill it out yet. You need to fill out immunization form and master promisary note if you didn't do so. There is a message board for the class of 2011 you need to get the user name and password. It has housing information and orientation handbook for the class of 2011.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats Alkapalka!

Kappy1, are the immunization forms anywhere online? I just handed in my deposit and acceptance forms on Monday so I have not received any of the immunization or email or webboard access forms yet. Thanks!

Congrats Alkapalka!

Kappy1, are the immunization forms anywhere online? I just handed in my deposit and acceptance forms on Monday so I have not received any of the immunization or email or webboard access forms yet. Thanks!

I got a letter in the mail which said they would post the immunization forms online...the best thing to do in the meantime would be to get your records from undergrad - you need proof of mmr or measles mumps rubella.

If you want the web board password pm me

Congrats Alkapalka!

I didn't see it on the message board. Though it may be added soon.

I didn't see it on the message board. Though it may be added soon.

Mine are late and I got a letter in the mail with another copy of the form and it said that they were going to post it online - so I am assuming soon.
:)

Mine are late and I got a letter in the mail with another copy of the form and it said that they were going to post it online - so I am assuming soon.
:)
As of today I didn't see it up on the message board. Maybe they will have it up somewhere else.

I found this video on youtube of some of your lovely DPCers from 2010.....Steve kicked her ass!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfvWCyUF0NY

...and they complain about all the work they have :D

When did this happen?! You would think that if something happened in the suite that ended up on YouTube, we'd all know about it..

Notice his shirt says Dazed and Confused haha I bet thats how he felt after 2 Big macs in 2 mins

After seeing that video we should have a competitive eating club.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, i had the same problem and called the school. They told me that we will be unable to set up our e-mail until orientation. Also, with the webboard, go directly to the website http://meet.nyit.edu/~2011 and enter the username and password we were mailed. if you go to the nycom website and student resources webboard link, you will get the error message.

i set up my email already - nycom sent out a letter with info on how to set up ur school email address. in fact, i received an email from the school regarding some financial aid stuff. i dont have the letter in front of me on how to set it up, but when i do i will post the details. also, concerning the immunization form - its not posted on the web board yet, but nycom sent it out via snailmail. anyway, one more month people. pretty cool.

Kobayashi has been dethroned. Where is the glory?

I had deams of beating him too! :cry:

Good luck with that dream because it is a lot of hotdogs. Hope you know a good GI.:laugh:

I have a few quick questions if someone would'nt mind answering them, I went through the other posts briefly and hope it has not been repeated to many times.

Is there any type of dress code for classes, especially during the first week or so of classes? I read about the white coats we get but other than that I dont want to come dressed in my summer gear if its not appropriate.

Has anyone bought the required instruments? Should we have those by the first week? If so, can anyone suggest a place online to buy them?

Is there anything I should be concerned about before classes start in august besides my loans, buying books and my parking permit? I am nervous to be unprepared, I am not moving until august 13th and I dont want to be pressed for time to get things done. Any help would be greatly appreciated..:D

Additionally, If anyone would like to get together before classes start during the week of the 13th that would be great! I would like to meet some people before orientation if possible, so if anyone is interested in getting together, PM me... Ttyl

Thanks!! :)
user_online.gif
progress.gif

Is there any type of dress code for classes, especially during the first week or so of classes? I read about the white coats we get but other than that I dont want to come dressed in my summer gear if its not appropriate.

no dress code. i've seen people in flip-flops and shorts to nice slacks with a shirt and tie. Dress comfortably since some days can be long and the air conditioning can be like in a movie theater.

there are lockers in the mens/women's restrooms if you want to keep some items close by.

This primarily for lecture students.

This could change, but last year we needed:
1)stethoscope
2)otoscope
3)opthalmoscope
4)sphygmomanometer
5)reflex hammer/tuning fork - NYCOM gift last year
6)bag (optional)

short answer: NO

Long answer:This was discussed a few times in this thread.

I only purchsed my cheap sphygometer (about $50 I think) and my littman cardio III stethescope ($147)from the vendors.

otoscope/opthalmoscope (about $120 total) I purchased from ebay as a pocket welch allyn set. reflex hammer and tuning fork was given to us by NYCOM. Don't lose these since that is about $25 worth of equipment! :laugh: I purchased a small black bag from Target for about $15.

Some people used CVS or other drug stores to purchase cheap sphygometers and ebay or allheart.com for other equipment and scrubs.

Trying to buy the exact same items from another source to save money will be tough since the vendor does NOT charge for shipping or taxes. I think I had to wait a week to pick up my items that I purchased from the vendor so no convenience factor there. I wanted to be sure my stethescope was 100% legit so went with the vendor.

The vendor does not have battery powered pocket scopes. The cheapest set they have is about $500. Comparing my oto/opthalmoscopes to other more expensive scopes I don't see the advantage and most clinics will provide you with these scopes anyway.

If you want to get the pocket scopes off ebay you should start looking now if you want to get them cheaply. They are probably still a good deal if you can get both at $200.

Some people went ultra cheap and got nurse stethescopes. I have to draw the line somewhere though! :laugh:

whatever you decide do some searches on SDN under "otoscope" "stethoscope" etc. so you will at least be more informed consumer. Listen to the vendor sales pitch/demo.

Noonday states DPC folks need specific equipment so don't get cute!

Is there any type of dress code for classes, especially during the first week or so of classes? I read about the white coats we get but other than that I don't want to come dressed in my summer gear if its not appropriate.

Like Hunter said, there's no real dress code for lecture. Some of the older, foreign students wear shirts and ties but that's about it. There is a blurb in the student handbook that says no PJ's, but scrubs are allowed and are just as comfortable!

Has anyone bought the required instruments? Should we have those by the first week? If so, can anyone suggest a place online to buy them?

We weren't required to have the instruments until October, it should be the same for you guys. Hold off, wait until school starts, and see what everyone else is buying. I bought mine off of Amazon.com.

Is there anything I should be concerned about before classes start in august besides my loans, buying books and my parking permit? I am nervous to be unprepared, I am not moving until august 13th and I dont want to be pressed for time to get things done. Any help would be greatly appreciated..:D

Don't worry about the parking permit so much. We park in the same parking lot as the patients for the clinic, employees of the clinic, students interviewing, and clinical faculty members who all do not have a permit. Last year on a snow day, a car parked illegally and completely blocked me in (the woman also had an expired inspection sticker). I called NYIT security and they came down to see what they could do. The guard told me that since none of the cars around me had an NYIT parking permit, there was nothing she or the school could do (she couldn't even ticket the car). That day there was also a Nassau County police seminar or something using one of our buildings- i asked those cops if they could do something for me and said no because its in NYIT's jurisdiction. After waiting 2 hours I called my cousin who is a NYC cop, had the license plates run, and then I walked around campus asking random people if they knew who these people were (luckily the first person I asked knew one of the people!!). So to sum it up- it makes no difference if you have a permit or not. I took mine off of my car because its ugly.

Random question, does anyone have the calander for the year, like which holidays NYCOM has off for, etc, and when the semester ends and start the Spring starts?

Thanks!

Thanks! I didn't know to look there since, I was under the impression everything was going to that email board.

Hey guys, so i've recently received an invitation for a Freshman Sendoff for myself and my parents which is hosted by David Elkowitz, D.O. Any ideas of what this is exactly??

Hey guys, so i've recently received an invitation for a Freshman Sendoff for myself and my parents which is hosted by David Elkowitz, D.O. Any ideas of what this is exactly??

Hmmm...we didn't have anything like that last year. The only thing that our parents were invited to was convocation that was held in early October...unless they're now calling convocation 'freshman sendoff.'

Thank you all for replying, I am getting a little nervous. I feel much better now that I know a little more about whats going on. :rolleyes:

Hmmm...we didn't have anything like that last year. The only thing that our parents were invited to was convocation that was held in early October...unless they're now calling convocation 'freshman sendoff.'

What was that like? this thing is from 2-6pm and it's at 45 Pond Road, I'm guessing maybe a restaurant or something? If it is like a convocation and only parents seem to be invited can my boyfriend come along as well or no?

What was that like? this thing is from 2-6pm and it's at 45 Pond Road, I'm guessing maybe a restaurant or something? If it is like a convocation and only parents seem to be invited can my boyfriend come along as well or no?

Last year the "required" convocation ceremony consisted of people that we didn't know getting awards and other people we didn't know giving speeches. It was the freshman from all of the departments in the Heath Sciences center getting their names called one by one and standing at their seats until the entire class was called. It was to welcome us to NYCOM and the undergrads to NYIT, although it took place almost two months after school started and a week before our first test. A few of the speeches were good, but overall it was very boring and very unnecessary. It was held next door at C.W. Post in one of their big auditoriums. I don't know if this is what your invitation was referring to, but if it is the same thing you can bring anyone you want.

Yeh this thing is def. not the convocation because ours will be held Sept. 17. Oh well, i'll find out when i go. I also had a question about insurance, I've filled out the medical and dental waiver since i'll be under my parent's insurance but I read that the life, ad&d and disability are required so i'm assuming i'll be charged for that from NYCOM. On our weboard it states that we need to fill out the medical waiver and the change form...is the change one for the life and disability stuff? It looks confusing as all hell.

freshman send off sounds more like it's for bs/do since 1st year med students are called 1st years and not freshmen. Maybe they're doing something new this year but pershaps it's something for the freshman at nyit in the bs/do program?

hmm, if that's the case would I even be invited to this thing? I guess I'll just call the number for the RSVP and find out what it is. Let me know if anyone else gets the invite.

hmm, if that's the case would I even be invited to this thing? I guess I'll just call the number for the RSVP and find out what it is. Let me know if anyone else gets the invite.

I got that invite for the freshman send off too...let me know what they tell u, othervise i'll call them tomorrow.

Ok. so this Freshman Sendoff thing is pretty much a get together held by an alumni meant to get us introduced. They prefer parents to come with the student but being that mine are going on vacation she just wrote down guest and I'll drag my boyfriend. Hope this helps.

I didn't get anything about a freshman send off. Ayone else get something about that? When did you get it Kissachka?

it's postmarked July 14th. I was away last week so not sure when it came exactly. It pretty much says that the dean invites me and my parents to the freshman sendoff hosted by an alumni on Aug.12 2pm-6pm. RSVP # is 516 686 3801...the lady who answered the phone was the sweetest thing!

Okay here I am eventualy a NYCOM 2011 student.
Got the call and I am off the waitlist.
See you all on August 20th.
I am very excited!

it's postmarked July 14th. I was away last week so not sure when it came exactly. It pretty much says that the dean invites me and my parents to the freshman sendoff hosted by an alumni on Aug.12 2pm-6pm. RSVP # is 516 686 3801...the lady who answered the phone was the sweetest thing!

Am I the only one who didn't get an invitation? I feel like I get every other letter from NYCOM.:(

I didn't get an invitation yet either, but I'm sure we will all get one soon enough. Medical School is almost here- everyone ready? :thumbup:

I didn't get an invite either. But freshman send off sounds like something they do in undergrad. Oh well, we'll see if they decide to send it to the rest of us.

does any one remember about what we are left with for living expenses if we take the max amount and aren't living at home? i'm kind of freaking out, now that we are in the final stretch...

Hey everyone. I just got off the waitlist and I'm looking for an apartment/living situation. Is there anyone else in the same boat? I've lived with both guys and girls (I live with two girls in the East Village now). I've been doing HIV research at NYU and playing in a few bands for the last several months and wasn't really expecting to get off the waitlist, so this is excellent. But now I've really got to rush and get everything together. So I guess you could say I'm in a bind. Who else is with me on this one? Give me a call or message me through this and maybe we can figure something out. I'll even go apartment hunting. Nice one. Thanks. - Geoff (585) 319-9146

Hey everyone. I just got off the waitlist and I'm looking for an apartment/living situation. Is there anyone else in the same boat? I've lived with both guys and girls (I live with two girls in the East Village now). I've been doing HIV research at NYU and playing in a few bands for the last several months and wasn't really expecting to get off the waitlist, so this is excellent. But now I've really got to rush and get everything together. So I guess you could say I'm in a bind. Who else is with me on this one? Give me a call or message me through this and maybe we can figure something out. I'll even go apartment hunting. Nice one. Thanks. - Geoff (585) 319-9146

Welcome to the NYCOM family!!!

check the nycom message board...they always have apartments listed on there and students with apartments who are looking for roomates.

where is the message board? I literally just got this info within the last several days and am waiting to receive the letter (I was informed via phone), so I'm trying to get ahead of the game. funny right, it's almost august and i'm talking about ahead of the game. haha. ok, hook me up with this message board, i gotta get moving. thanks!

pm me or im super6girl. ill give u the username & pw.

(dont want to post it!)

I still did not get the mail about setting up an e-mail account, though it seems like i got everything else:(

HOUSE IN BAYVILLE

My roomates and I have 1 bedroom available in Bayville. Bayville is 15 min away from NYCOM. This house is 2 away from the beach, 5 bedrooms, 4 full baths, all good size rooms, 2 kitchens & 2 living rooms. This house has an awesome back yard with a grill and bar outside!!!! This house will go fast so call soon if interested.

Rent is $600 month + utilites...total will be about $650 month...

Any girls still need rooms?
I've got 3 great rooms in a new house in Glen Cove, 5-7 mins from NYCOM. $600/room
pm me if interested for more details

I still did not get the mail about setting up an e-mail account, though it seems like i got everything else:(

I didn't get it either, but it is prettey simple to set up. Go to www.NYIT.edu

1) click on my mail
2)click on new account or forgot password (right under the word login in big blue letters)
3)In the right corner it will say enter student ID and last name. ( your student ID # is on any of the bills the school sent you.)
4) Go to step two type in the code shown (it is case sensative) and press enter and you will be on your way. Follow the rest of the directions given to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.