NYCOM Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JimT30

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I thought I would start the new class thread. Congrats to all of my fellow acceptancees!!

I really liked the school, but I'm concerned about price and I rather be in a warm climate.

Any input from upper classes would be appreciated..

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I am in your class if you are choosing to go to it.

Congrats! :luck:

For me, I chose NYCOM over the other places that I got into because it's closer to home and offers some amazing clinical rotation experiences. It isn't the most expensive school out there (nor the cheapest) but that wasn't a deciding factor for me. I'm also from the northeast so the weather doesn't bother me. It's a very personal decision with so many factors to consider. Good luck to you guys and welcome to NYCOM (if you choose to attend)!

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought I would start the new class thread. Congrats to all of my fellow acceptancees!!

I really liked the school, but I'm concerned about price and I rather be in a warm climate.

Any input from upper classes would be appreciated..

NYCOM's tuition isn't actually that much higher than other private schools. They tell you 60k, or whatever number at the finaid office, because they include the cost of living expenses + insurance.
For example:
38,000 = tuition
4,000 = Health and dental insurance
20,000 = living espenses (rent, food, car, etc)

Unless you made it into your state school I wouldn't worry too much about how expensive nycom is because you'll be paying a similar amount at other DO schools.

PS: The cheapest DO schools are:

LECOM-E and B at 25k and change
UMDNJ at ~27k
The state schools for instaters (OSU, OU, MSU, TCOM)

NYCOM's tuition isn't actually that much higher than other private schools. They tell you 60k, or whatever number at the finaid office, because they include the cost of living expenses + insurance.
For example:
38,000 = tuition
4,000 = Health and dental insurance
20,000 = living espenses (rent, food, car, etc)

Unless you made it into your state school I wouldn't worry too much about how expensive nycom is because you'll be paying a similar amount at other DO schools.

PS: The cheapest DO schools are:

LECOM-E and B at 25k and change
UMDNJ at ~27k
The state schools for instaters (OSU, OU, MSU, TCOM)
Congrats to those accepted into the class of 2012!!!:clap::thumbup:
I would agree with jp104. :thumbup: If you are not going to your state school, medical school is costly. But you take out student loans and you pay it off. For me it came down to location, location, location.

Well that's the thing, I have narrowed it down to LECOM-B and NYCOM, so there is a huge difference!

Well that's the thing, I have narrowed it down to LECOM-B and NYCOM, so there is a huge difference!

Ah! That makes it a bit more interesting. Both schools would give you PBL based education. So I guess the important factor you should think about is location. Do you like beaches or skiing? :)

I guess the choice for me in that case would be do you want to wear a shirt and tie every day, or be able to be comfortable when you're sitting through hours of lectures. Also, from my understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) LECOM-B is all PBL, so if you're not into that, then NYCOM would be the way to go. If you are into it, I believe we have 40 students per class in PBL (DPC) (again, correct me if i'm wrong). When it really comes down to it, all medical schools are freakin expensive. It's more about where you want to be. Where did u feel at home? Where do u want to spend your next 4 years (and maybe more if you really like the hospitals in the area)?

Congrats!!! class of 2012. You guys must be excited. I gotta say, med school experience is awesome. I know it sounds weird, but I like the challenge, the struggle, and of course, absorbing huge amount of info every day. So far, I am having a great experience at NYCOM and felt that i've made the right decision. Everyone is so nice and helpful here at NYCOM.

Anyway, I chosed NYCOM mainly because of its location, impressive matchlist, established history and adapting curriculum. I was also impressed with their preparation for doctor-patient relationship. Since I live with my parents and have health insurance from them, all i have to pay is ~38k. So, it was an easy choice for me.

If you are not sure which tract to choose, I recommends applying for PBL. Different people have different learning styles. So you should try it out.
For me, lecture based curriculum works best for me.

Good luck class of 2012!!

P.S: Now I understand how the class of 2010 would have felt when we (2011 class) created the thread. :D

I would love to join this thread! I have an interview with NYCOM in January and I hope I'm really hoping to get in! Does anyone have any advice for the interview? :oops:

I would love to join this thread! I have an interview with NYCOM in January and I hope I'm really hoping to get in! Does anyone have any advice for the interview? :oops:

I had my interview yesterday!! Compared to the other DO schools I interviewed with, this one was by far the most laid back. All my other interviews took 45min-1hour, asking me all sorts of ethical questions, but this one took like 20-25 min. Im sure it depends on who is interviewing you, but overall it seemed very laid back. He asked me mostly about my research maybe becuase he was a PhD. But overall he was a very nice guy and not intimidating at all.. Good luck with your interview

Now I understand how the class of 2010 would have felt when we (2011 class) created the thread. :D

Now I understand how 2009 felt when 2011 created their thread!

I picked NYCOM because of the location. I'm from Long Island and I want to stay on Long Island. Don't worry too much about the price. All medical schools are ridiculously expensive. Remember though that if you want to practice in NY, Metropolitan New Yorkers (NYC, LI, Westchester) are paid more than other areas of the country. Our $160k over 4 years will be paid off one day by our higher salaries if we stay in the area. Come to NYCOM and then practice psych on a farm in Idaho- yeah you'll have a lot of trouble paying down the debt. Come to NYCOM and practice in Metropolitan NY or other high paying areas of the country you'll be fine. Its a ton of money but its not going to kill any of us. Go to a school that you could picture yourself at. Only 5% of our class is made up of trust fund kiddies...the rest of us have loans!

Members don't see this ad :)
Now I understand how 2009 felt when 2011 created their thread!

I picked NYCOM because of the location. I'm from Long Island and I want to stay on Long Island. Don't worry too much about the price. All medical schools are ridiculously expensive. Remember though that if you want to practice in NY, Metropolitan New Yorkers (NYC, LI, Westchester) are paid more than other areas of the country. Our $160k over 4 years will be paid off one day by our higher salaries if we stay in the area. Come to NYCOM and then practice psych on a farm in Idaho- yeah you'll have a lot of trouble paying down the debt. Come to NYCOM and practice in Metropolitan NY or other high paying areas of the country you'll be fine. Its a ton of money but its not going to kill any of us. Go to a school that you could picture yourself at. Only 5% of our class is made up of trust fund kiddies...the rest of us have loans!

I always thought it was the opposite. If you want to make serious bank then you need to move to BFE rural areas where you are the only physician within 30 miles :)

Make sure you make friends that will take your clicker/ ez-pass when you don't wanna go to class :) Other than that good luck and have fun. And btw our dean looks like Lex Luther!

Make sure you make friends that will take your clicker/ ez-pass when you don't wanna go to class :) Other than that good luck and have fun. And btw our dean looks like Lex Luther!

Lex Luther? why didn't I think of that before! lol

Just called admissions and got the good news! See you all next year! BTW is there a facebook group?

So what are we going to need to buy in terms of medical supplies and/or scrubs/clinical jackets or are we fitted/issued that stuff as part of our tuition? Anyone know this? I suppose it will be covered in the acceptance packets or orientations...

So what are we going to need to buy in terms of medical supplies and/or scrubs/clinical jackets or are we fitted/issued that stuff as part of our tuition? Anyone know this? I suppose it will be covered in the acceptance packets or orientations...

you'll be given a white coat, tuning fork and reflex hammer when you get to nycom (at least, we were and so was the class before us i believe). as far as scrubs, you'll need a bunch of them for anatomy and omm. the school sells them pretty cheap through a couple different organizations (NOT at the bookstore, those are a rip off). you can also find them cheaply on your own at various places. poke around online for that. you'll also need to have a stethoscope, bp cuff and otoscope/ophthalmoscope, but not until well after school starts. you can buy all of that stuff through the school if you want but it's on the pricey side. i found a nice otoscope/ophthalmoscope set on ebay for $65. also, when you get a copy of the book list, DO NOT run out and buy them all. you'll be wasting $2000. at the beginning of the year you'll be paired up with a second year and you can ask them what books they recommend, etc. you really only need a very small amount of the "required" books.

congrats!

hey thanks for the great advice! so would it be safe to go out and buy a littmann cardiology III :D ? as for otoscope/ophthalmoscope is there any particular brands we should look for like Welch Allyn or any particular features?

hey thanks for the great advice! so would it be safe to go out and buy a littmann cardiology III :D ? as for otoscope/ophthalmoscope is there any particular brands we should look for like Welch Allyn or any particular features?

Hey Eudjinn, Congrats on your acceptance!!!

littmann cardiology III is a really good stethoscope. (I tried other cheap ones and cardiology III quality is simply far better.)
You can get it now if it is cheap, but the representatives will come to NYCOM and sell it for 137 bucks. It comes with heart sound CD, name tag, and replacement ear tips. I looked around online but couldn't find a better deal than what they offered. So, unless you can find it cheaper now, you should hold off. Also, I recommend you at least get 27" tubing length.
22" is too short. Be careful when you buy stethoscopes online (especially ebay). The price seems cheaper but they sometimes send you 22".

sweet, thanks for the advice! i was actually wondering about the tubing lengths. I probably will not be buying one just yet because 137 is a better price than what i've seen so far.

You don't need fancy instruments and you shouldn't be worried about buying them now!! Worry about how much fun your gonna have before school starts...

You don't need fancy instruments and you shouldn't be worried about buying them now!! Worry about how much fun your gonna have before school starts...

yea i plan on having a lot of fun before school starts. :horns:

Whoever gets me as their big will be very lucky :)

why's that? and share the wealth!

ringtail-lemur-face-bg.jpg

Just got my acceptance letter today...this whole process has absolutely sucked! I interviewed at 5 schools and got waitlisted everywhere...but NYCOM was absolutely amazing and I will more than likely be attending next fall

Congrats to all those who got accepted!

wewt. join the facebook group if you havent already! congrats !

congrats to everyone who got in thus far! I just received the acceptance letter today. still trying to decide between here and AZOM. I had the unfortunate experience of interviewing in the middle of a nor'easter, so everything was really rushed and i think it may have negatively influenced my opinion. Guess I don't have too much time to think about it though, deposit's due in 10 days!:confused:

i'll be joining you guys in the fall... i finally decided and it's a great relief off my shoulders. how are you guys spending the summer? i'll be heading to Europe this summer to visit family, relax, and spend more money than i should :cool:

Anybody know anything specific we need in terms of laptops? I read somewhere on SDN that to stream lectures we have to have windows b/c the videos run on windows media player. Just wanted to know if we needed anything else before I invest in something useless.

Anybody know anything specific we need in terms of laptops? I read somewhere on SDN that to stream lectures we have to have windows b/c the videos run on windows media player. Just wanted to know if we needed anything else before I invest in something useless.

second that... i've got my heart set on a macbook but if its not compatible across campus i won't bother. can any upperclassmen comment on this??

you can use a mac... you have to install some thing call parallels or soemthing like that in order to stream the lectures. The paralells lets your run the mac like a PC. I have a pc and i bring it every day. i wouldn't say not to get a mac if you want it because i hear so many good things about it but life streaming lectures is def a lot easier with a pc

you can use a mac... you have to install some thing call parallels or soemthing like that in order to stream the lectures. The paralells lets your run the mac like a PC. I have a pc and i bring it every day. i wouldn't say not to get a mac if you want it because i hear so many good things about it but life streaming lectures is def a lot easier with a pc

Agreed... I know people who have macs and they "switch between servers" or whatever it is (not familiar with the system myself), but they don't mind and they love the mac. I know others with macs that just don't stream because they find that to be too much work. It depends on how good you are with the system, and how you feel about that. It seems like the people that are pretty computer "savvy" don't mind it at all.

I used to be a PC guy but the next time I get a computer it's going to be a mac. They're a much better machine overall. PC's honestly are starting to bug the hell out of me.

In terms of streaming, if you get a mac and are having problems with it just take out a laptop from the nycom library. Any time I've streamed that's what I've done since they come with nice big headphones as well.

By next year with the new gps tracking system they're installing you're all going to have to be here anyway for lectures so going to the library shouldn't be much of a big deal.

I'm a PC guy too...but damn does that Macbook Air look sexy :love:

I've always been a Dell guy...in the last 15 years I've bought 3 desktops and never had a problem with any of them. Everyone I know hates Dell but I'm definitely considering getting my laptop from them

I've always had PCs as well, but the truth is, apple makes a much better machine although, much more expensive as well. My only problem with macs is that they don't have a right click button even though you can overcome this by holding down the open apple or something.

Apple has much cooler software though and much more reliable machines. Dells are a piece of crap even though I continue to use one.

yea that macbook air is pretty sexy looking... i would deal with the headaches if i could afford it. but i cant
Just as a side note guys if anyone wants to pick my brain about living at home im from queens and live there so i can help fill you in. either PM me or just ask in here and ill try to help you all out.

Can you give any clue as to how traffic is on the island at around 6:30 - 7:00 a.m. ish? That's the time I'd most likely be driving in from Brooklyn, where I plan to live at home. I did the drive in 40 minutes easily without traffic and I'm only worried about traffic there for the morning classes at 8 a.m.

Get a Mac. Seriously. I can't begin to tell you how much time it has saved me. Your exam scores are essentially a measure of the amount of time you spent studying, if nothing else. Intelligence? Ha. Time is the only resource. Which is why I'm done typing. Peace.

Can you give any clue as to how traffic is on the island at around 6:30 - 7:00 a.m. ish? That's the time I'd most likely be driving in from Brooklyn, where I plan to live at home. I did the drive in 40 minutes easily without traffic and I'm only worried about traffic there for the morning classes at 8 a.m.

Im assuming you will be taking the belt. That early in the morning its really not that bad at all. The reverse commute is clutch. The cross island has its bad days but you wont really be on it that long. I like the northern state better than the LIE just for traffic purposes. Without an accident or anything like that you will be there with time to spare if you leave at 6:30. On the rare occasion of big traffic it will be close

Im assuming you will be taking the belt. That early in the morning its really not that bad at all. The reverse commute is clutch. The cross island has its bad days but you wont really be on it that long. I like the northern state better than the LIE just for traffic purposes. Without an accident or anything like that you will be there with time to spare if you leave at 6:30. On the rare occasion of big traffic it will be close

yep i hate the LIE so i'll be taking belt, CIP and NSP so that's good news! i'm not too worried about the reverse commute as i will be sure to go home during non traffic hours, depending on when class lets out (meaning staying in school studying longer if i have to so as to not waste time in traffic)

yea thats the way to go... i also sometimes take the southern state to the meadowbrook and then back one exit on the nsp. it is a little roundabout but if you know the cross island is a mess beforhand it will make the difference between getting to class ontine and being late. and its really only a little longer than the cross island to nsp anyways.