NYCOM Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thanks for the info about mac vs pc. if anyone has a macbook or macbook pro and would be willing to PM me about their experience, it'd be appreciated. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

I have been accepted to a couple DO schools and am still deciding primarily between NYCOM and UNECOM. One thing I have been wondering about is the academic culture at NYCOM. I am wondering what type of relationships the students have with their professors/faculty/administration. At my undergraduate college there was little regard for students. Classes and tests were formulated to divide students and made the class more about the testing statistics. Tests would include material not convered in class or not assigned for reading, and questions would be formulated in a convoluded fashion. Ultimately it was a very effective "weeder system" for lack of a better term; classes were more about battling for a grade than about comprehending material. Is this the situation at nycom? I am asking b.c i have read stories regarding change in grading policy (making it harder to pass), as well as a high drop out/dissmissal percentage at nycom.

I have been accepted to a couple DO schools and am still deciding primarily between NYCOM and UNECOM. One thing I have been wondering about is the academic culture at NYCOM. I am wondering what type of relationships the students have with their professors/faculty/administration. At my undergraduate college there was little regard for students. Classes and tests were formulated to divide students and made the class more about the testing statistics. Tests would include material not convered in class or not assigned for reading, and questions would be formulated in a convoluded fashion. Ultimately it was a very effective "weeder system" for lack of a better term; classes were more about battling for a grade than about comprehending material. Is this the situation at nycom? I am asking b.c i have read stories regarding change in grading policy (making it harder to pass), as well as a high drop out/dissmissal percentage at nycom.

As far as the change in grading policy... I read somewhere on here people complaining that they changed it so you can no longer fail lab, but make up for it in written (or vice versa). This was NEVER the policy. You always had to pass both individually. So this is nothing new.
As for the professors, imo... when you have a class of 300, you need to make yourself stand out. If you want help from the professors, you have to go to them, they are all very nice and approachable and receptive if you go to them, but none of them are going to come find you because you aren't doing well on their questions. They are very busy, and don't need to do this. They won't test you on stuff that isn't in either the lecture or the reading. Most of the stuff is straight from the lectures, because the lectures come from the readings, leaving out the stuff they didn't feel was important (so they probably won't test on it).
Although we are graded Pass/Fail/Honors, I really don't find that our class is "cut-throat" at all. You find your group of friends, set up some study groups, and work hard. The tests definitely don't divide us as a class.
Finally, as for the drop-out/dismissal rate... The test are not easy by any means, but they are doable for anyone who has made it this far. Some people may not have to work so hard, and some (like myself) may have to work harder than you ever have before, but as long as you are willing to put in that effort, you don't need to worry about failing out. If you have a bad day (which everyone does) and do poorly on a test, then you work your butt off to do better on the next one. The way it works is that you have 2 or more tests per system with the grades averaged. So as long as your average is a 70, you're fine.
That's all, if you have any more questions, you can pm me.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you to everyone who has written me about using a Mac computer at NYCOM. looks like i'll be forking over the cash for one before i arrive in August

Question Regarding the FAFSA, I am independent from my family and will be completely financing my education on my own. In trying to fill out the fafsa, it indicated that it is "not required" to include parental information, however it is suggested for individuals going into health care fields. Wondering if anyone could possibly explain the benefits of including this informationas opposed to not. On the site it explicitly says that parental info is not required but strongly suggested for students entering into healthcare.

you've already done your taxes? dayum

Question Regarding the FAFSA, I am independent from my family and will be completely financing my education on my own. In trying to fill out the fafsa, it indicated that it is "not required" to include parental information, however it is suggested for individuals going into health care fields. Wondering if anyone could possibly explain the benefits of including this informationas opposed to not. On the site it explicitly says that parental info is not required but strongly suggested for students entering into healthcare.

Don't put it in. NYCOM actually tells us to file taxes independently (even if you haven't previously), and to not put in your parents' info.

Don't put it in. NYCOM actually tells us to file taxes independently (even if you haven't previously), and to not put in your parents' info.

I think he is referring to the FAFSA forms. He is asking if it is necessary to put the parent's income/tax information. Is that what you're referring to as well? If so, you would heavily suggest us not putting our parental info at all on the FAFSA? why?

I think he is referring to the FAFSA forms. He is asking if it is necessary to put the parent's income/tax information. Is that what you're referring to as well? If so, you would heavily suggest us not putting our parental info at all on the FAFSA? why?

That is what I am referring to, but in order to do this, you need to file taxes independently. This is what they tell you to do. You are going to qualify for more financial aid if you are an independent, and you need that financial aid, because NYCOM is expensive.

Hey guys,

I just got my acceptance letter this week. Is everyone excited about starting this fall? Does anyone know any good resources for looking at apartments near NYCOM?

I believe we will be getting info about the webboard sometime around march/april...Anyone applying to DPC?

Hey guys,

I just got my acceptance letter this week. Is everyone excited about starting this fall? Does anyone know any good resources for looking at apartments near NYCOM?

congratulations! and yes, very excited. the webboard seems to be starting place number one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to the Class of 2012!

I'm a NYCOM Alumni Class of 2005, currently finishing my FP residency in Long Beach. First I'd just like to say that you're making a really solid choice coming to NYCOM. Can't beat the quality of life, laid back attitudes and support from faculty. The rotations are also top notch, especially those in Jersey. Just enjoy the rest of your senior year and prepare for a very strenuous journey over the next two years. After that, it's smooth sailing.

I'd also like to offer up my rental properties to NYCOM students first.
I have two houses in Valley Stream, a 3BR and a 4BR that I will be renting to students beginning in July. They are 30 minutes from school and very central to the NYCOMEC 3rd and 4th year rotations. So you could theoretically stay for all four years and not worry about moving.

Check out the details and photos online at www.haigroad.blogspot.com and feel free to contact me about the houses or anything else related to med school/NYCOM/internship/residency/finding a job!!!

I'm currently applying for teaching positions within NYCOMEC so hopefully our paths will cross as you enter into your clinical years.

Best of luck,

Alexis Hugelmeyer
[email protected]
516-761-2500

When is the time to start looking for apartments?

I'm planning a vacation and I will come back at the end of June...is this too late?

Hey guys,

did you decide on touro or nycom?

When is the time to start looking for apartments?

I'm planning a vacation and I will come back at the end of June...is this too late?

you may want to find a place before you go away, even if you don't move in until you're back. remember, there are a couple hundred people doing the exact same thing that you are (apt hunting) so you don't want to get screwed.

you may want to find a place before you go away, even if you don't move in until you're back. remember, there are a couple hundred people doing the exact same thing that you are (apt hunting) so you don't want to get screwed.

Yep, that's why I started to get worried. Did you find a roommate? If so, how did you go about doing that?

Yep, that's why I started to get worried. Did you find a roommate? If so, how did you go about doing that?

For my class, a bunch of us started an email list, and we organized get togethers starting in march around the NYC area, so that anyone in the area could meet, and find roommates/etc. We met like 4 times before school started. That's how i found my roommates. (If you're nervous about meeting a bunch of strangers, like i was, bring a friend).

NYCOM is no longer streaming lectures where at least 80% of students are not in attendance. If you miss anything during lecture, you might be out of luck.

This is the second time I'm hearing this today on SDN. What's going on? Is this some new policy that has just been put in place?

This is the second time I'm hearing this today on SDN. What's going on? Is this some new policy that has just been put in place?

yup, new policy as of today.

no longer do you need an 80% attendance rate to pass. (yay)

but, if 80% or more of the class isn't in attendance at a lecture they won't stream it. (nay)

so what exactly is our tuition money paying for if they are forgoing the mandatory attendance (and clicker system) as well as the high-tech audio-visual system?

hmmmm...

how the hell is this new policy fair to people that actually do show up and want to stream the lecture?

what ever happened to putting faith in your professors that they teach well enough that people will actually want to attend lectures? if nobody shows up to certain lectures, that should be a hint to the administration that something is fishy with the lecturer, no? and if the lecturer isn't efficient or good enough (or reads straight from ppt or whatever) then why can't it just be an option to not show up and stream it later.

IMO get rid of the freakin' attendance policy and continue to stream lectures. As you said, wtf are we paying for anyway? Those that want to come to lectures (like myself) will come REGARDLESS of the policy 95% of the time.

how the hell is this new policy fair to people that actually do show up and want to stream the lecture?

what ever happened to putting faith in your professors that they teach well enough that people will actually want to attend lectures? if nobody shows up to certain lectures, that should be a hint to the administration that something is fishy with the lecturer, no? and if the lecturer isn't efficient or good enough (or reads straight from ppt or whatever) then why can't it just be an option to not show up and stream it later.

IMO get rid of the freakin' attendance policy and continue to stream lectures. As you said, wtf are we paying for anyway? Those that want to come to lectures (like myself) will come REGARDLESS of the policy 95% of the time.

so wise, yet so young ;)

your complaints are exactly equal to ours. who knows what the administration is thinking. people have been leaving during some of less-than-great lectures lately, which i think is ticking them off. but like you said, that definitely reflects on the lecturer (or it should... we shouldn't be punished for poor lecturers).

Wow, that's really upsetting to hear. It sounds like the NYCOM admin thinks students need to be treated like 3rd graders. It's so ridiculous. To all the 1st and 2nd years, thanks for all your info and keep us updated on this situation! Thanks :)

so wise, yet so young ;)

your complaints are exactly equal to ours. who knows what the administration is thinking. people have been leaving during some of less-than-great lectures lately, which i think is ticking them off. but like you said, that definitely reflects on the lecturer (or it should... we shouldn't be punished for poor lecturers).

i plan on going to as many lectures as possible, i learn best that way. i think any available tool should be given to students. for those students who do rely on lecture streams for a variety of reasons, this is a disheartening development, especially since it seems that their fate lies in the hands of others. :thumbdown:

i plan on going to as many lectures as possible, i learn best that way. i think any available tool should be given to students. for those students who do rely on lecture streams for a variety of reasons, this is a disheartening development, especially since it seems that their fate lies in the hands of others. :thumbdown:

we can sit together as i am also a lecture learner, my friend. i have to study less when i attend lectures and the study time is more productive.

we can sit together as i am also a lecture learner, my friend. i have to study less when i attend lectures and the study time is more productive.

haha, rad... just dont make me front row it, i hate that. my dad always tries to do that at church and it drives me crazy. same applies for lecture - i dont need 200+ eyes staring at the back of my mohawk.

Got the letter today! Happy because I liked the school, but worried because don't know just yet what I'm going to do...
Interviewed January 23rd
Was supposed to interview earlier, since got the request in October, but they sent it to a compilation address of my dorm and my home address, an amalgamation which doesn't exist!

Hi to my potential fellow classmates!

Got the letter today! Happy because I liked the school, but worried because don't know just yet what I'm going to do...
Interviewed January 23rd
Was supposed to interview earlier, since got the request in October, but they sent it to a compilation address of my dorm and my home address, an amalgamation which doesn't exist!

Hi to my potential fellow classmates!

congrats and welcome... this thread isn't quite alive yet, but i'm sure it will be as this fall draws near. so you're stuck with eugene and me haha

so who got the immunization form/dpc application? it seems weird that we get the form a month after giving in deposits or more and they ask for it a month after sending in the deposit... what do you guys think is a reasonable date to return the immunization form to them. also, isn't it weird that they don't require hep B immunity?

I also received this package, but I gave my deposit over a month ago. I am going to do it as soon as possible. Did you get an answer on when to have it in by? I am nervous about apartment hunting :scared: ...it seems like it's going to be really hard to find a place with a yard for my dog :( I have been looking religiously on craigslist for weeks now. By the way (current students), how close do you think first years should live to NYCOM?

just got mine in the mail a few days ago, and will get it out as soon as possible. that deadline must be flexible otherwise they would have sent it out a lot sooner.

re: apartment hunting, i was told by several students that when we get access to the web board and school e-mail, we'll also see listings pop up for places to live (studios to big houses and everything inbetween), so for now, i'm not worrying about finding a place.

I just received that immunization form as well. Its not very specific so I wouldn't worry. Just get it to your doctor and send it out.
I called for my ID number and also asked about possible start of school. The admissions lady said they are telling students August 1st, but I know its never started that early. Does anyone have any better knowlege than me and know a more specific time frame?

I just received that immunization form as well. Its not very specific so I wouldn't worry. Just get it to your doctor and send it out.
I called for my ID number and also asked about possible start of school. The admissions lady said they are telling students August 1st, but I know its never started that early. Does anyone have any better knowlege than me and know a more specific time frame?

wow... i was under the impression it was more towards the end of august. if that's true it'll put a serious damper on some of my plans.:thumbdown:

wow... i was under the impression it was more towards the end of august. if that's true it'll put a serious damper on some of my plans.:thumbdown:

Well, she also said she personally didn't think we would start before August 18th, but I guess thats what they have to tell students to be ready just in case. But I'm with you on having some plans ruined....hopefully we'll find out sometime soon an exact date!

why doesn't nycom require proof of hepatitis B immunity or PPD? doesn't anyone think that's sort of weird?

class of 2011 started on aug 20. if they're starting that eary, that's new and surprising.

class of 2011 started on aug 20. if they're starting that eary, that's new and surprising.

I wouldn't mind starting earlier if that meant the material is more spread out although I work best under the pressure of an impending exam and when there is no time to "drop the books" and procrastinate. I did worse in undergrad sciences that had a test once every month than once every 1-2 weeks because the latter forced me to stay on top of the material. I hope that gives me an edge in med school!

/rant

I wouldn't mind starting earlier if that meant the material is more spread out although I work best under the pressure of an impending exam and when there is no time to "drop the books" and procrastinate. I did worse in undergrad sciences that had a test once every month than once every 1-2 weeks because the latter forced me to stay on top of the material. I hope that gives me an edge in med school!

/rant

oh it will. we're almost done with neuro now (thank god) and we've had an exam every 2 weeks like clockwork. it's been stressful but we have a 3 day weekend this weekend with no pending exam so we are all pretty excited for that.

fundamentals had quizzes or exams every monday so all of your weekends are shot for the first 7-8 weeks. and they keep you til 5 virtually every day in fundamentals, so if you work well under pressure that will help you.

So here is a little secret I figured out. When you go to fill out your FASFA form online, you have to select your school, and year. It has the starting date on there. It has been right for the last 2 years (even when the school was still claiming they didn't know the start date).

So here is a little secret I figured out. When you go to fill out your FASFA form online, you have to select your school, and year. It has the starting date on there. It has been right for the last 2 years (even when the school was still claiming they didn't know the start date).

thanks for the tip :)

fundamentals had quizzes or exams every monday so all of your weekends are shot for the first 7-8 weeks. and they keep you til 5 virtually every day in fundamentals, so if you work well under pressure that will help you.

d00d... there's a greek restaurant in astoria called Stamatis that i vowed to visit on the weekends. crap. their food is soooooooooooooo goooooooooooood

does anyone know what NYCOM's deadline is for FAFSA? i don't want to miss out on the chance for any institutional aid and i haven't done my taxes yet.

Congratulations to all of those accepted!

We have a spacious, sunny bedroom available in a 3 bedroom apartment in Glen Cove, an 8 minute drive to campus. The apartment has a fully equipped kitchen, and a large bathroom. Within walking distance to many restaurants and downtown Glen Cove. Plenty of on street parking available. Live with 2 current NYCOM students. Rent is $500 a month; internet, gas, and electric are shared. Water included in rent. If interested, please send a PM. Available immediately.

Congratulations to all of those accepted!

We have a spacious, sunny bedroom available in a 3 bedroom apartment in Glen Cove, an 8 minute drive to campus. The apartment has a fully equipped kitchen, and a large bathroom. Within walking distance to many restaurants and downtown Glen Cove. Plenty of on street parking available. Live with 2 current NYCOM students. Rent is $500 a month; internet, gas, and electric are shared. Water included in rent. If interested, please send a PM. Available immediately.

This is a great apartment. I have been there many times; it's in a really nice, quiet, convenient area. And your roommates would not end up being bad to live with either! If I didn't already have living arrangements I would have jumped on this myself.

:)

Hey everyone,

I need some advice from current NYCOM students. I got a job as an autopsy assistant this summer. I figured it would be a great educational experience (I have to concentrate on that because after this weekend I certainly don't like the whole process) and it is a part time contractual position easily left when the fall comes. The doctor I am assisting is an excellent teacher who has taught residents just about everywhere in downstate NY. He wants me to find out and get the pathology text used by NYCOM. I looked it up and found out it is Rubin's Pathology. My question is, should I get it? He wants me to be able to read on the conditions that we see and figures I should buy the book I will use anyway. Is it likely that this book will be used next year? Is it one of those useless books I shouldn't waste my money on? It looks like a good book, but if someone could weigh in on it, that would be great.

get robbins pathological basis of disease