NYCOM Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey did anyone accepted have similar stats as me (3.63 overall 3,42 science gpa 26o mcat 10p9b7v)? I am so stressed waiting for an interview. They are my first choice. I recently got that mcat score in January ( got a 22r first time). I am a ny resident and live 10 minutes away. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I heard only half their class is filled up. Did everyone send a DO recommendation?

Members don't see this ad :)
Memorize it verbatim.

Honestly, it's a great book for school, the most important part of it though is the first 3 chapters...you can get by without the rest and rely on other pathology resources like BRS and goljan's for boards.

hey did anyone accepted have similar stats as me (3.63 overall 3,42 science gpa 26o mcat 10p9b7v)? I am so stressed waiting for an interview. They are my first choice. I recently got that mcat score in January ( got a 22r first time). I am a ny resident and live 10 minutes away. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I heard only half their class is filled up. Did everyone send a DO recommendation?

i had very similar stats to you, interviewed in december and was accepted by january. i applied early though, am a california resident, but i had MD letters of rec, and good travel & volunteer experiences. good luck!

Thank you ... all i can do is wait i guess:(

Any incoming 1st years looking for an apartment... I live in a 3BR 2bath, Great landlord. My roommates and I are all moving out, so it would be open for 3 people. PM me for the details.

Hey Everyone!

If there is anyone looking for roommates that would not mind living with a dog, PM me :) See you all in the fall!!

how's the apt search going for everyone? i've yet to make any ground.

I wanted a little advice from current students. Does anyone commute from Queens or Brooklyn? It takes me 30 minutes to go to NYCOM. Should I get apt in Glen Cove with roommates ($600) or just live at home? Any positives or negs of living at home or at Glen Cove? Let me know about your experience. :)

I wanted a little advice from current students. Does anyone commute from Queens or Brooklyn? It takes me 30 minutes to go to NYCOM. Should I get apt in Glen Cove with roommates ($600) or just live at home? Any positives or negs of living at home or at Glen Cove? Let me know about your experience. :)

I commute from Forest Hills in queens. In the morning it takes me about 25-35 mins to get to school if I leave by 7am. If I leave school during rush hour (4-6pm) it can take me anywhere from 45 mins to an hour to get home.

Staying at home would probably be a good idea if you want to save some cash. However, I can tell you, it occasionally does wear a bit thin to have to look forward to a 30 min drive home after studying for 12 hours on campus :) With that said, I don't regret living in queens at all.

I live in Bayside (Queens) and my commute is 20 mins, 35 if there's traffic/rush hour. Sometimes it's nice to have a little time to unwind before jumping right back into studying at home. Plus, the neighborhood is very nice. There's so much stuff in walking distance, including a bus that goes right to the 7 train.

I commute from southern Brooklyn and it takes me 45mins to an hour depending on traffic - I wouldn't change it. I love living in the city, but it was a bit of a transition in the beginning and there are always bad days when you get stuck for longer but I usually avoid it by studying in the silent study area and leaving at 8 or 8:30 on late class days.

Members don't see this ad :)

It is really a personal preference. I have friends who commuted from from brooklyn, queens, and even suffolk county that love it, and others who ended up moving closer to school after a month or 2. You have to decide if the commute is going to be relaxing for you, or a stress for you. I personally do better if I just jump right into studying after class, and if I take a long break, I wouldn't be able to sit down and open my books. Other people need the break or they feel worn out. Do you have parents who leave you alone and just let you study, or do they expect you to run errands, cook dinner, clean the house, etc? Mine are the latter, and even if they were close by, i could never live home and study enough. You have to look at what type of person you are, and what your home situation is like, and make a decision based on that. Sometimes saving that money isn't worth it, if you just aren't getting enough work done, but if you are fine with the commute and stuff, then you really do save a lot of money.

Personally I commute daily from Queens it takes me about 25-30 min. in the morning and about 45 during rush hour and non rush hour about 25-30 min. I like the drive it gives me some unwinding time after studying or being in class all day. I agree with Gia :thumbup:. You need to see what best fits your life style and study habits.

A quick question for current NYCOM students...do DPC students get ranked among the lecture based students or do they have their own ranking system?

A quick question for current NYCOM students...do DPC students get ranked among the lecture based students or do they have their own ranking system?

I am not sure and it is a very good question. As a current student I don't know how the lecture based students are ranked? Do they look at all courses together and see where you are. Is it seperate ranking for pre-clinicals and clinicals? Or there one ranking overall? I honestly would like to know as well. In school, the administration never mentioned it to us, though I have heard that we are. I would venture to guess that it depends on the courses that are being taken with LBD track. In Anatamy lab and OMM lab they are probably ranked with the whole class. But for the rest of the courses they really have a seperate curriculum. In those classes it would prbably be for there curriculum. As mentioned above we were never told anything about class rank at all.

Thanks a lot Kappy1, KateGia, docem, Vee, jp104. It was really helpful. :)

I'm a lecture based 2nd year and if you're thinking about DPC seriously, I'll try to give you in my opinion pros and cons to choosing it. If I had to go back, I would choose lecture again, but...

DPC kids don't fail out. I know they theoretically can, but the school is much more amenable to working with them. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think even 1 DPC kid from class of 2010 has failed out. From the lecture based group, I'd say we've had about a 15% fail out rate (not even counting the people who have had to remediate a course), these are people who have flat disappeared. IMO, that's a pretty high failure rate. This may sound wrong, but if you're a little concerned about your abilities as a test taker, you may be better off choosing DPC.

Other thing...Last year, the DPC kids had a significantly higher pass rate on the boards. I've heard all kinds of rumors about the lecture based pass rates being anywhere from low to not terrible, but not great. The one thing I do know is I heard only 1 DPC kid failed the boards last year. Now, I don't know how well the kids who passed did, but that's pretty significant that only 1 failed. IMO, the reason they almost all passed is because they have more time to focus on board review throughout the first 2 years than the lecture based kids who are constantly worrying about taking exams every 2-4 weeks. There's not much time to do board review when you have to worry about passing immediately.

That being said, I like lecture based because it keeps me organized. I've personally done ok so far so I can't really complain about lecture based. I haven't had as much time as I'd have liked to do board review but I think I've learned enough in lecture based that I've been pretty comfortable with my medical knowledge when I take practice board questions. The other thing I like about lectures is that in a way, you have a little more free time. You don't have to worry about making anyone else's study deadlines, only your own.

Anyway, I think I've thrown a bunch of information at you and in a pretty disorganized way. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.

Can some current students weigh in on why NYCOM has such a high drop out rate?

Can some current students weigh in on why NYCOM has such a high drop out rate?

it's not (for the most part) a voluntary drop out. if you fail 2 systems you get dismissed. to fail a system you need to fail either the written or practical portion of that system (get less than a 70% average). if only 1 part of one system (during the whole year) is failed, you remediate it over the summer.

so, pretty much nycom has a very strict passing policy which accounts for the majority of why people leave.

it's not (for the most part) a voluntary drop out. if you fail 2 systems you get dismissed. to fail a system you need to fail either the written or practical portion of that system (get less than a 70% average). if only 1 part of one system (during the whole year) is failed, you remediate it over the summer.

so, pretty much nycom has a very strict passing policy which accounts for the majority of why people leave.

It seems like that is something that may contribute to the issue, but all medical schools are tough and many schools have stringent testing standards and I find it difficult to believe that is the main issue. Hypothetically, NYCOM admissions accepts students who they believe to be capable of passing. There has to be some other underlying issues that would bring about such a high drop out rate.

It seems like that is something that may contribute to the issue, but all medical schools are tough and many schools have stringent testing standards and I find it difficult to believe that is the main issue. Hypothetically, NYCOM admissions accepts students who they believe to be capable of passing. There has to be some other underlying issues that would bring about such a high drop out rate.

I could be entirely wrong but....

The class of 2011 started with 295 students. Right now, I think we are at about 279 or 278 or so. Let's break that difference down (~17 people):

1) Approx. 2-3 people that I heard of were taken off waitlists to other schools in the beginning of the year.
2) 1 person that I know left because they decided that school wasn't for them after the first system.
3) Approx. 3-4 people in the emigre program have disappeared for various reasons. One that I knew personally just never showed up one day, and another (anecdotally) I heard wanted to concentrate on taking Step 1 and 2 over.
4) Anecdotally I heard of 1 person who requested a transfer to another school.

So, that's about 9 people right there. That leaves about 8 people who for various other reasons (academic, etc) are no longer with our class. With my limited math skills that comes out to about 2.7% which is probably in line with most other schools.

I am not familiar with the dynamics of the class of 2010, but I imagine the curriculum change they experienced had some part to play. For instance, from what I understand (hearsay) one system of theirs counted as two for purposes of academic dismissal (Cardio/Pulmonary). Can someone in 2010 confirm that?

I just want to assure you guys that it's not all Doom and Gloom :) If you study hard, go to class (if that's how you learn) and pay attention, you'll pass and do well :thumbup:

I could be entirely wrong but....

The class of 2011 started with 295 students. Right now, I think we are at about 279 or 278 or so. Let's break that difference down (~17 people):

1) Approx. 2-3 people that I heard of were taken off waitlists to other schools in the beginning of the year.
2) 1 person that I know left because they decided that school wasn't for them after the first system.
3) Approx. 3-4 people in the emigre program have disappeared for various reasons. One that I knew personally just never showed up one day, and another (anecdotally) I heard wanted to concentrate on taking Step 1 and 2 over.
4) Anecdotally I heard of 1 person who requested a transfer to another school.

So, that's about 9 people right there. That leaves about 8 people who for various other reasons (academic, etc) are no longer with our class. With my limited math skills that comes out to about 2.7% which is probably in line with most other schools.

I am not familiar with the dynamics of the class of 2010, but I imagine the curriculum change they experienced had some part to play. For instance, from what I understand (hearsay) one system of theirs counted as two for purposes of academic dismissal (Cardio/Pulmonary). Can someone in 2010 confirm that?

I just want to assure you guys that it's not all Doom and Gloom :) If you study hard, go to class (if that's how you learn) and pay attention, you'll pass and do well :thumbup:

i love you man.

in a world full of everyone making me nervous about all the changes going on at nycom, your post put me at ease. it was starting to sound like people were failing out despite going to class, paying attention and trying hard!

as long as you guys get through the material, you will be FINE. as you'll soon find out, the exams are pretty straightforward. for now, worry less about next yr and concentrate on having fun. enjoy your summer and good luck next yr.

Many medical schools will continue to remediate and decelerate students who are not doing well - there is always the horror story of the 7th year med student who is still failing their clerkships. While I think it is important for students to be supported and have options such as deceleration a stricter academic policy also has some merits - private medical school is very expensive and it is better to leave with less debt than 5-6 years of debt >$300,000 dollars that you don't have the means to pay back because you can't pass your boards.
I think that JP makes a good point that our drop out rate may not be as bad as it sounds. I can tell you I was concerned about the rumors when I started but have been very pleased with my NYCOM education.

i love you man.

in a world full of everyone making me nervous about all the changes going on at nycom, your post put me at ease. it was starting to sound like people were failing out despite going to class, paying attention and trying hard!

i was thinking the same thing.:thumbup:

Many medical schools will continue to remediate and decelerate students who are not doing well - there is always the horror story of the 7th year med student who is still failing their clerkships. While I think it is important for students to be supported and have options such as deceleration a stricter academic policy also has some merits - private medical school is very expensive and it is better to leave with less debt than 5-6 years of debt >$300,000 dollars that you don't have the means to pay back because you can't pass your boards.
I think that JP makes a good point that our drop out rate may not be as bad as it sounds. I can tell you I was concerned about the rumors when I started but have been very pleased with my NYCOM education.

thanks for your input. i'm currently feeling a mix of what's in bold and anxiety over finding a place to live.

edit: i worry too d*** much sometimes. i'm actually really excited but i just get nervous here and there. ha.

Hey! Congratulations to everyone accepted - I am thrilled to be a part of NYCOM Class of 2012! :D

I'm looking to find a roommate or roommates to live with this fall. I am VERY clean and organized, quiet but still social, and respectful of others' things. I've been living alone for the past 2 years and I'm really ready for a change. I have a lot of stuff to contribute to an apartment (since being on my own) too.

I'd like to live near campus but haven't done much apartment searching so I don't really know what's available yet.

If you're looking for a roommate, please send me a message! Thanks :)

I was going over NYCOM match list for 2007. Why are there so few students that matched into surgery residencies (10 only). In NYCOM only 3% students go to surgery while other DO schools like NSU-COM (10%), or KCOM (13%). Is getting into a surgery residency harder at NYCOM? I'm deciding between those three schools, but leaning towards NYCOM.

I was going over NYCOM match list for 2007. Why are there so few students that matched into surgery residencies (10 only). In NYCOM only 3% students go to surgery while other DO schools like NSU-COM (10%), or KCOM (13%). Is getting into a surgery residency harder at NYCOM? I'm deciding between those three schools, but leaning towards NYCOM.

You need to look at how many people want to go into surgery in the first place. In my class during a "show of hands" survey last year there were only about 15 people interested in surgery. Long hours and long residency while your debt continues to build interest. Not for me.

anybody wanna make a class t-shirt?

i'll contact my friend jessica who's a graphic designer, maybe she can come up with something cool. what are your ideas? something about NYCOM, 2012 or '12, Rod of Asclepius?

colors: blue w white lettering? white w blue lettering? any gold on there too?

preliminarily, i think a blue t-shirt with NYCOM across the chest in typical college lettering on the front, '12 on the left or right sleeve?

and maybe the rod of asclepius in gold across the side (slanted or tilted across the seam) or maybe a smaller one in gold in the middle of the shoulder blades on the back just below the color?

wow, i didn't know i had a t-shirt design fairy in me.

i'll contact my friend jessica who's a graphic designer, maybe she can come up with something cool. what are your ideas? something about NYCOM, 2012 or '12, Rod of Asclepius?

colors: blue w white lettering? white w blue lettering? any gold on there too?

preliminarily, i think a blue t-shirt with NYCOM across the chest in typical college lettering on the front, '12 on the left or right sleeve?

and maybe the rod of asclepius in gold across the side (slanted or tilted across the seam) or maybe a smaller one in gold in the middle of the shoulder blades on the back just below the color?

wow, i didn't know i had a t-shirt design fairy in me.

hahaha, that sounds good... I'll buy one. For most places on the internet you need ~10 people to buy t-shirts for custom orders so I figured I'd see if anyone else wanted one. Your shirt sounds cool tho, if you make it, post the link!

sick idea def blue with white trim....we should be able to personalize them, get our names embroidered on the shoulder or chest depending on the design.

sick idea def blue with white trim....we should be able to personalize them, get our names embroidered on the shoulder or chest depending on the design.

you could always go with the classic baseball jersey 3/4 sleeve shirt and put your name on the back like a jersey

Count me in on getting t-shirts. I love to rep our class in some hot apparel :)

baseball shirts only if we start an intramurals team.

i'll talk to my friend and try to get it drawn up. the idea looks great in my head, though the actual synthesis will take some time. ideally i'd like to make it affordable enough that all could get one, which means screen printing. embroidery is always a possibility, but it's just MUCH more expensive that way. ever seen "neighborhoodies"? some of their stuff costs an arm and a leg!

once i get a design going, i'll post it up.

I don't know about class of 2011...but I'm in 2010. My test number at the beginning of school (first year) was (almost positive, may have been even higher) in the 230's. At the last test it was 192. That would mean that over 40 people with last names ahead of mine (I'm towards the end of the alphabet, but not too far) are now gone. That's a lot of people.

I know for a fact that 8 people in my class failed both cardio and respiratory this year and I heard that over 40 people failed at least one of those. Personally I didn't think those systems were too bad but a lot of people struggled with them.

I don't think NYCOM is "out to get people". You can study to pass the tests. You'll learn how but it takes some time during first year. A lot of lecturers give hints about test questions.

I don't think it's that it's so difficult, I honestly believe that NYCOM overaccepts. I think they should be stricter with their requirements. For their BS/DO students, they require a 25 minimum on the MCATs for them to advance to DO from undergrad, yet they'll take plenty of people with MCATs below 25. Med school IS very much related to how well of a test taker you are. If you had over a 30 on your MCATs I wouldn't necessarily worry too much. If you're someone with a 21 on the MCATs and was accepted, I would honestly evaluate how you've done and if the 21 was an aberration. The school in my opinion takes chances on a lot of students. I think they should be a little more selective earlier on. Even if only 20 out of 300 people fail out every year, that's a lot. I believe the number was a lot higher for my class. In my personal opinion, NYCOM should get a little tougher with admissions, maybe target class sizes of only 250, and try to aim for a 97% graduation rate...that would mean only 10 kids would fail out over 2 years and that would sound right at other med schools as well.

Anyway, this is all my personal opinion. I personally like the school, it has many faults, but I personally feel like I've gotten a good education. There are times lecturers don't cover everything, but if you go to sources, and you'll know when you'll need to, you'll do fine.

I'm not trying to scare you guys. Most of you will succeed and do very well. I wouldn't be nervous about that. If you are a strong student and get your stuff done, I wouldn't be concerned. You just have to continue it at NYCOM.

Was that dring fundamentals, because if so that included the DPC kids.

I don't know about class of 2011...but I'm in 2010. My test number at the beginning of school (first year) was (almost positive, may have been even higher) in the 230's. At the last test it was 192. That would mean that over 40 people with last names ahead of mine (I'm towards the end of the alphabet, but not too far) are now gone. That's a lot of people.

anybody know any apartment complex around NYCOM? I am thinking about moving there with my wife-to-be. Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks. :D

Was that dring fundamentals, because if so that included the DPC kids.

Shouldn't matter because they still have to take anatomy and OMM with the lecture based students, the numbers shouldn't change so much.

To me the more alarming thing is the school not really helping weaker students through the program. We should have a tutoring service set up to help these students. It should be done by peers, upper classman and faculty combined to make sure that students have the best shot at sucess, instead of just having a learning specialist. Many other schools do. Other schools allow students to decellerate and take medical school in 5 years. That should be an option as well. NYCOM's new policy of two failed courses you are gone has to change as well. If the school chose these students they should try to help them make it through the program. I understand that not everyone will make it due the medical school curriculum, but the school has to show more of an effort. I get heart palpitations while looking at the answer key after exams. I know plenty of students on Academic warning and it just adds much more stress to an already stressful situation. Last year students had make up tests if they failed an exam. This year they stopped that policy. Sorry for the rant but, the class of 2012 needs to be aware of the policies that NYCOM has in place so hopefully they can change in the future. I know before my year I was not informed until the first day of classes.

anybody know any apartment complex around NYCOM? I am thinking about moving there with my wife-to-be. Any info would be appreciated.
If you're looking for apartment complexes, there are the Avalon and Avalon North(North was just built a couple months ago) in Glen Cove. Very expensive from what I hear though.

Check the NYCOM housing thread in Osteopathic forum.

With all the positives Biggreen said about DPC over lecture, I will bring up one thing that I feel is negative IMO. Lecture based is system based; DPC is course based. I like systems based, because that's the way I like to study and most of the review books like first aid have switched to systems based. With that being said, I would say DPC is a good way to go - they have to be on campus less, more time to study for boards and I don't think anybody really fails out. The one major thing I keep thinking of is I bet all the kids that failed out really wished they had gone DPC, because right now they'd still be in med school. Med school is very difficult; it's something to think about...

With all the positives Biggreen said about DPC over lecture, I will bring up one thing that I feel is negative IMO. Lecture based is system based; DPC is course based. I like systems based, because that's the way I like to study and most of the review books like first aid have switched to systems based. With that being said, I would say DPC is a good way to go - they have to be on campus less, more time to study for boards and I don't think anybody really fails out. The one major thing I keep thinking of is I bet all the kids that failed out really wished they had gone DPC, because right now they'd still be in med school. Med school is very difficult; it's something to think about...
:thumbup: Yup. I wish I would have switched to DPC just because of those reasons now. Even if they fail out they are added to lecture based for the next year. My understanding is that no one has failed out so far.

Hey Everyone!

By any chance, does anyone know when classes start? I'm planning my summer vacation and last year's class started on the 20th, so I'm extrapolating that it should be the 3rd week of the month.

On another note, when are we all getting together and getting to know one another? Any thoughts?

JT

For the BS/DO students it used to be an MCAT score of 24 but they changed it to a 26. The class of 2012 is the last 24 class. Now everyone needs a minimum of 3.5 overall, 3.3 science, and a 26 mcat score.

I thought school starts on the last week of August, not the 3rd week. Is it safe to go out of the country until the last week of August assuming housing and financial aid are all complete before I leave?

In addition, did anyone receive any new packets since the DPC/immunization forms? I heard they were suppose to send some financial aid packages but I haven't received it yet.

Class will probably start on Aug 18. Last year it started on the second week of August (Aug 20, 2007)