NYCOM Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
one thing to consider too is getting your loans all under one house. that way, you don't have two different companies for your stafford and grad plus loans, and down the road this can make it easier when setting up payment options or consolidating.

Members don't see this ad.

one thing to consider too is getting your loans all under one house. that way, you don't have two different companies for your stafford and grad plus loans, and down the road this can make it easier when setting up payment options or consolidating.
That's true, thanks. Did you get both in one place? If so, where?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you that aren't on facebook.... My landlords are still looking to fill their apartment. They really want incoming 1st years, because they'd like people who will probably stay for 2 years. (it's only a 1 year lease, so if you choose not to stay, you don't have to, but it's nice).

Here is the ad. If you are interested, pm me for the #. Give me time to respond, because I am studying for boards and I'm trying to be good about limiting my online time.

FOR RENT
Bright & Clean
3 Bedroom Apartment
2 full baths
Living Room/Dining Room/Kitchen
Dishwasher/Washer/Dryer
A/C
Sea Cliff/Glen Cove area
Walk to stores/train
10 minutes to NYCOM
Available July 08

Last edited:
Give me time to respond, because I am studying for boards and I'm trying to be good about limiting my online time.

I can tell...there have only like 5 posts from you on SDN and like 2 facebook updates and the AIM away message only changes a few times a day....

hehe :D

hey C/O 2012ers, are you guys all going to the meet and greet picnic on august 16th?

See attached for an apartment for rent in Sea Cliff. May be too pricey for one person, but it is great for a couple. Pictures included in the attachment.

Attachments

• 264-upstairs ad.doc
    49 KB · Views: 340
Hey,

Was wondering if this room is still available? Please let me know :)

Anna

Two rooms available. Oyster Bay house to be shared with NYCOM students. Two second years live there now and will be living there for the next academic year. Rents range from $450 to $550 per month plus utilities. Laundry room with Washer/Dryer. Two full bathrooms. Living room. Basement for storage. Fenced in backyard. Large EIK with microwave, dishwasher, and 2 refrigerators. Parking in the driveway. Landscaping included. Housekeeping included. Cable TV and internet included. 10 minute drive from NYCOM campus.

Peter Bianco
516-728-5355

[email protected]

Lexington Avenue at Tooker Avenue
Hey

Sorry guys, I am new on this site (hence the above non-quoted empty message)...I was wondering if this place is still available??

Please let me know :)

Anna

Any book lists available from previous first years? Thanks

Hey I'll be a member of the class of 2012 and I'm looking for a roommate. Male or Female. I live in upstate NY looking forward to meeting everyone. My cell is 315-427-0080 or email is [email protected]. Thanks
-Jason

Hi
congratulation to all the members of class of 2012 NYCOM. I am also one of them. I want to travel from staten island. I have my car, non smoker male . like music, KTU. if any body interested to form a carpool ....from staten island, brooklyn or any where one the way to NYCOM....please call me..917-365-5214 ( please leave a text message ..I will you back) or email me [email protected]

All the best!!

Ash

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there, I was just curious to know how you found out about the picnic? Last I heard from NYCOM's admin was some financial aid info about a month ago, but nothing on picnics, start dates, nada!

The picnic is not an official NYCOM organized event. It is an unofficial event that is being organized by a few classmates via our 2012 facebook group. See my signature for more details.

Has anyone heard anything from the DPC program?

FOR RENT:

3 bedroom, 2 bath in Glen Cove. 10 minutes from NYCOM. Water and heat included. washer dryer ac rent is $575. You would be living with me and another 1st year. PM if you are interested. Thanks:)

Got an email notice on Friday about getting accepted into DPC, and that a formal letter would follow.

Congrats!!!...Yeah, later on friday after posting the message I got an email that I was accepted :).

One apartment for rent in Glen Head, 10 minutes from NYCOM. Available NOW!

First floor apartment: One bedroom, spacious living room and kitchen, full bath, sliding doors to the backyard.

Second floor apartment is rented by NYCOM students.

First floor apartment: $1150

Everything included in the rent – electricity, gas, cable and internet, central air conditioning and telephone!

For pictures and info you can check out this website:
http://adiros.tripod.com/apartment_for_rent/

Ray Gilmore
646-321-0237
Valentina Gilmore
917-517-4121
[email protected]

If you are taking all loans, don't worry about the bill. They keep sending a couple of them every month.

Yeah I got another one too and I remember reading that we'll be getting the bill a lot all summer.

But has anyone not yet received their financial aid package? I sent in my forms and they stopped sending me those notices that they're waiting for them, but it's been a while and I still don't know how much they're offering me... so I can't yet fill out the MPN because I can't choose a lender...

FOR RENT:

3 bedroom, 2 bath in Glen Cove. 10 minutes from NYCOM. Water and heat included. washer dryer ac rent is $575. You would be living with me and another 1st year. PM if you are interested. Thanks:)

hey is this place still available?? -anna

new info about 2012 class tshirt on the facebook page.

This place is still open: Two rooms available. Oyster Bay house to be shared with NYCOM students. This place is still open: Two second years live there now and will be living there for the next academic year. Rents range from $450 to $550 per month plus utilities. Laundry room with Washer/Dryer. Two full bathrooms. Living room. Basement for storage. Fenced in backyard. Large EIK with microwave, dishwasher, and 2 refrigerators. Parking in the driveway. Landscaping included. Housekeeping included. Cable TV and internet included. 10 minute drive from NYCOM campus.

Peter Bianco
516-728-5355

[email protected]

Lexington Avenue at Tooker Avenue

Still have one open room in a 3 br house. Right on Rt 107, very close to NYCOM. Two first years and one second year so far, all male. Rent is $550/mo + utilities. Call: 631.428.6701

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I will also be joining the class of 2012, but to cut to the chase. I found a place to live, 8-min. drive from nycom, 5-bedroom house, with a fenced in backyard with pool. $675 including utilities for the room, its an awesome house. The catch: I found this place thru a contact, and spoke with the residents which will be 3 girls (didnt know this until I showed up to look at house) that will be taking the upstairs rooms. I spoke to them about living there, and they were looking for 2 guys that got along to live in the bottomw floor. I am meeting them this weekend (Sun.) so if someone wants to get on this asap call me at 914-466-9472, or email me at [email protected]. Even if you want to just call for more details. My phone is on the all the time and I don't sleep so call anytime.

Last edited:
Do any of you know if we need a specific type and color of scrubs and is anyone gonna live in or close to saint albans queens? What's the commute like? I don't know if any of u know but it can't help to ask, I live in Jerz.:)

Just asking cuz I know NYCOM is pretty formal.

Just asking cuz I know NYCOM is pretty formal.

NYCOM isn't formal at all. You could wear pajamas to school if you want. As for scrubs, you can wear any color in the anatomy lab, and in OMM you just can't wear pants with snaps or zippers (cuz they ruin the tables), but most of the time no one cares anyway.

Ok thanks, my moms a nurse and she found some on sale so, I guess I'll be getting them. Its so hard to find long enough scrubs for me LOL.:thumbdown:

Hi, recently joined and read the above lol. from Queens, NY. will be living with family. Soon to get a car.
was just wondering, How soon do we need to buy all this stuff? (the scrubs n books...:confused:)
and another thing, is a laptop to campus a requirement? (im more of a book person)

Hey, calm down! From what I've been reading, it looks like we shouldn't really worry about that stuff just yet. Apparently most people do this stuff during orientation or when we talk to our Big Brothers/Sisters, which happens at orientation or soon after that? Does that sound about right to anyone else?

Hey, calm down! From what I've been reading, it looks like we shouldn't really worry about that stuff just yet. Apparently most people do this stuff during orientation or when we talk to our Big Brothers/Sisters, which happens at orientation or soon after that? Does that sound about right to anyone else?

Yeah that's what I've been hearing from a lot of people.

Take a vacation and soak up some sun! (but not UVA/UVB rays :laugh:)

For people that's keeping track of the stafford loans, mine got approved five days ago (both unsubsidized and subsidized) and it looks like the disbursement date is up to NYCOM's wishing but it did indicate the 18th of August.

I have already applied for the Stafford loan, via NYCOM, in order to cover my tuition expenses. However, I'm also going to need more money for my apt., food, etc. Is this where the GRAD Plus loan comes into play?....If so, does anyone have any recommendations of who to go through?

Yeah that's what I've been hearing from a lot of people.

Take a vacation and soak up some sun! (but not UVA/UVB rays :laugh:)

For people that's keeping track of the stafford loans, mine got approved five days ago (both unsubsidized and subsidized) and it looks like the disbursement date is up to NYCOM's wishing but it did indicate the 18th of August.

have anyone's loans still not been approved? i haven't heard anything by mail and the website to check loan status is still showing 0.00 and pending certification or whatever.

August 18th??? but the bill is to be paid by Aug 1st. How is this done, do they deduct this automatically?

have anyone's loans still not been approved? i haven't heard anything by mail and the website to check loan status is still showing 0.00 and pending certification or whatever.

I actually have two "loans" that is being displayed in my account. One had to do with the stafford loan amounting to ~43k and has been approved. The other has that pending certification thing that you mentioned with 0.00 as the amount.

greenlovespell said:
August 18th??? but the bill is to be paid by Aug 1st. How is this done, do they deduct this automatically?

Yeah I'm a tiny bit confused about this too, but I think NYCOM is aware of our approved/pending loan and that the August 1st deadline is irrelevant. I've heard from some 2nd year students to not worry about it at all and that the approved amount of money will automatically deduct from our bill.

Slizfoshiz said:
I have already applied for the Stafford loan, via NYCOM, in order to cover my tuition expenses. However, I'm also going to need more money for my apt., food, etc. Is this where the GRAD Plus loan comes into play?....If so, does anyone have any recommendations of who to go through?

I was fortunate enough to have my parents pay for my rent/utilities. I'm paying for groceries, gas, and other amenities using the money I'm earning from my summer internship. If you don't have any of those, then yes, GRAD Plus loans come into play or you can try some private loans albeit higher interest rates. The interest rate of a GRAD Plus loan is fixed at 8.5%. Good luck! :)

Hi, recently joined and read the above lol. from Queens, NY. will be living with family. Soon to get a car.
was just wondering, How soon do we need to buy all this stuff? (the scrubs n books...:confused:)
and another thing, is a laptop to campus a requirement? (im more of a book person)

dont worry so much about all that stuff - dont buy books until u talk to second years (that would be me). scrubs - ull need them ur first week, but dont worry - if u live in queens u can buy nearby (thats what i did). about the laptop - its very helpful to have one, but i know not everyone has one. lectures are all streamed and even the best note takers miss things in class sometimes and want to check it up on the stream. but for that, a desktop at home would suffice.

Yes you need grad plus, and, not to scare you, but you're REALLY LATE for applying. It doesn't matter what lender, just pick one and apply ASAP. You'll get the money no matter what, but most people are going to get it right away (NYCOM has up to 2 weeks from your starting day to cut the checks), and if you don't apply and get approved, yours won't come until later.

just got the loan approval letter.
so now what, wait for the orientation? I am really bored

just got the loan approval letter.
so now what, wait for the orientation? I am really bored

you will be praying to gods you don't even worship for the free time you have at your disposal today. don't waste it. enjoy yourself (whatever that means to you) and be able to look back on this summer and be thankful. your time and responsibilities are inversely proportional from here forward.

"Life is just what happens to you while your busy making other plans."
- John Lennon

Yes you need grad plus, and, not to scare you, but you're REALLY LATE for applying. It doesn't matter what lender, just pick one and apply ASAP. You'll get the money no matter what, but most people are going to get it right away (NYCOM has up to 2 weeks from your starting day to cut the checks), and if you don't apply and get approved, yours won't come until later.

thank goodness the credit crunch didn't affect the federal loan programs too much :luck:

you will be praying to gods you don't even worship for the free time you have at your disposal today. don't waste it. enjoy yourself (whatever that means to you) and be able to look back on this summer and be thankful. your time and responsibilities are inversely proportional from here forward.

"Life is just what happens to you while your busy making other plans."
- John Lennon

oh I actually would like to know what you do during the summer after your 1st year of med school and what other people are doing?

man i still haven't been approved.