NYCOM Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
check the status by going through the same process as applying (NYCOM financial aid page... "NYCOM" link... sign in with your user name and pw that you created when applying then check loan status), then click view details.

i'll check that out... thanks bro.

Members don't see this ad.

has anyone received any other financial aid information than the initial forms we were sent? budget etc?

one room left in a 4br house in glen cove. one second yr and two first yr already. 8 min from campus. $550/mo plus utilities. email me only.

[email protected]

Members don't see this ad :)
2 rooms will be available in Glen Cove starting June 1st. It is in a nice neighborhood and a 10 minute drive from NYCOM. Let me know if anyone is interested! Also, congrats to the class of 2012!

On the NYCOM webboard they told us to buy "Bates' Guide To Physical Examination And History Taking" I was wondering if I need that book. Since NYCOM's book list is so big, which books should I buy? Or should I wait till classes start to figure out which ones I really need?

On the NYCOM webboard they told us to buy "Bates' Guide To Physical Examination And History Taking" I was wondering if I need that book. Since NYCOM's book list is so big, which books should I buy? Or should I wait till classes start to figure out which ones I really need?

Wait till Big Brother/Big Sister day during orientation week and ask the 2nd yr you are paired with which books you'll need.

As far as Bates, I haven't needed it yet and if I did it's in the library. The only books that I think you absolutely need is an atlas of some kind (netters, Rohen's, thiemes, etc). A physiology book is probably pretty useful too.

And as for Netters you will get a free copy if you sign up for SOMA, which most students do. SO you can hold off on that. I bought Rohen and absolutely loved it. Its pictures of actual cadavers instead of drawings like netters. I did pretty well in anatomy and I know Rohen had something to do with it.
But you can def wait until big bro/sis day. You start of with Fundamentals and there isnt much need for books in the first couple weeks.

Can somebody tell me the gym situation at NYCOM? Is there a gym thats part of NYIT that we can use? If so, is it any good?

If not, any affordable gyms around the area?

There is a gym... its got everything you need but the hours are kind of week. Im pretty sure they start at 5 everyday. I guess it makes sense because if we have class until 5 we shouldnt be in the gym. there are gyms around but since i dont live local im not sure the prices. Roosevelt field just opened a sick gym with a pool and bball courts that looks great but it prob costs a lot.

Can somebody tell me the gym situation at NYCOM? Is there a gym thats part of NYIT that we can use? If so, is it any good?

If all you're looking to do is run on a treadmill and/or lift weights, planet fitness in glen cove is $10 a month for NYCOM students.

Newly renovated 3 bedroom apartment is available immediately!

Apartment takes up one of the 2 floors of a two family house on Glenwood Road. (Glenwood Lending city) 5 mins away from NYCOM.

Big bedrooms with lots of closets and windows, large living room,
dining room, brand new bathroom and kitchen with all new appliances.
Central Air, Dishwasher, Washer and dryer. Big bright backyard.

EVRYTHING IS BEAUTIFUL AND BRAND NEW!!!
2 minutes walk from the beach!
Price: $1900

PM me with your phone number if interested.

PS. Congrats on officially making it to Medschool!!!!!!!!!! :)

Great Apartment In Glen Cove, NY
hey everyone, congrats to those who got in!

it looks like my 2 roommates and i will be moving out of our apt in glen cove, so it is up for grabs. we are 10 minutes from the nycom campus. it is the 2nd floor of a 2 family home (separate entrance). the staircase opens into a large living room, which is continuous with the dining room and kitchen. (ie, there are partitions, but not doors --> very light, airy feel!) the living room also has a large walk-in storage closet. the hallway has 1 bathroom with a bathtub, as well as a coat closet. each bedroom comes with a closet as well. the master bedroom (mine) is the largest, and has its own attached bathroom with a standing-room shower (but it's still pretty roomy!). the entire apartment has wooden flooring, except for the kitchen and bathroom (which are tiled). the kitchen has lots of counter space, and a flat-surface electric stove and oven. it also has a fridge and dishwasher. the whole apartment is quite sunny and enjoyable to be in.

we are within walking distance of the glen cove train station on the oyster bay line. we also have a washer and dryer in unit, but the washer has to be hooked up under the kitchen sink. if that's too annoying for you, there's a laundromat down the street, in the same plaza as the 24 hour cvs. we are also very close to the stop and shop grocery store, a wide number of restaurants, and the planet fitness gym ($10 per month!). the landlady lives with her husband downstairs, and she provided us with 2 parking spots in her driveway. (whoever gets to the apt latest in the day parks in the church free parking lot next door.) the apartment is wired for cable/internet, and has central AC and radiator heat regulated by a thermostat in the hallway.

we will all be starting our rotations july 3, so the apt is available from around then. the address is 43 pearsall avenue, glen cove ny. our landlord is geraldine pipitone, and she can be reached at 516.671.6308.

on a separate note...if you are the sort of person who is highly self-motivated and can't stand sitting in lecture, sign up for DPC!!!

NYIT+NYCOM gyms SUCK!!!

Planet fitness is good b/c if your a black card member you can use any gym in their system. The gym at Glen Cove is okay, way better than NYCOM's but the one by Old Country Road is bigger and the eqiupment is newer.

The gym at Roosevelt Fields mall is suppose to be amazing. I think its like 50 bucks a month, or something in that range. There's also equinox.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!
I am finishing up my first year in NYCOM and will have few rooms available for girls in my house starting July 1st. 7 min drive from NYCOM. Big house, big backyard. Looking for nice, friedly, respectful, responsible female roommates.
PM me for more details if interested.
Thanks!!!!:)

NYCOM Class of 2012

CONGRATS on your acceptance!!

I'm entering my 3rd year in June and am trying to find a new roomate.
Here's the ad, you may have seen it on the weboard already.

"Available JUNE 1st or earlier!!!

Large bedroom in 2 bedroom apartment. Own bathroom!!!! Share kitchen & living room. Perfect for 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th year!!! 5 minutes from NYCOM, walking distance to grocery store & restaurants. 10 minutes to LIE and Northern State Parkway. Don’t have to park on street! Rent: $700 + utilities. No smoking, female only.

Interested? Please call 516 314 3034"

Enjoy your summer!!!

Hi all.
I'm a NYCOM Alumni Class of 2005, currently finishing my FP residency in Long Beach. I have two houses in Valley Stream, a 3BR + Studio and a 4BR that I will be renting to students beginning in July. They are 30 minutes from school and very central to the NYCOMEC 3rd and 4th year rotations. So you could theoretically stay for all four years and not worry about moving.

Check out the details and photos online at www.haigroad.blogspot.com and feel free to contact me about the houses or anything else related to med school/NYCOM/internship/residency/finding a job!!!

Good luck,

Alexis Hugelmeyer
[email protected]
516-761-2500

http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/abo/678757133.html is where you can find pics!!

3 bedroom, 2 bath, $1700 per month - light, airy, comfortable, spacious!

it is in Glen Cove, 10 minutes from the nycom/nyit campus. it is the 2nd floor of a 2 family home (separate entrance). the staircase opens into a large living room, which is continuous with the dining room and kitchen. (ie, there are partitions, but not doors --> very light, airy feel!) the living room also has a large walk-in storage closet. the hallway has 1 bathroom with a bathtub, as well as a coat closet. each bedroom comes with a closet as well. the master bedroom is the largest, and has its own attached bathroom with a standing-room shower (but it's still pretty roomy!). the entire apartment has wooden flooring, except for the kitchen and bathroom (which are tiled). the kitchen has lots of counter space, and a flat-surface electric stove and oven. it also has a fridge and dishwasher. the whole apartment is quite sunny and enjoyable to be in.

we are within walking distance of the glen cove train station on the oyster bay line. we also have a washer and dryer in unit, but the washer has to be hooked up under the kitchen sink. if that's too annoying for you, there's a laundromat down the street, in the same plaza as the 24 hour cvs. we are also very close to the stop and shop grocery store, a wide number of restaurants, and the planet fitness gym ($10 per month!). the landlady lives with her husband downstairs, and she provided us with 2 parking spots in her driveway. (whoever gets to the apt latest in the day parks in the church free parking lot next door.) the apartment is wired for cable/internet, and has central AC and radiator heat regulated by a thermostat in the hallway.

we will all be starting our rotations july 3, so the apt is available from July 1. the address is 43 pearsall avenue, glen cove ny. our landlord is geraldine pipitone, and she can be reached at 516.671.6308. (Please don't email me, I'm not the owner!!)

Have any of you guys gotten a tuition bill for NYCOM yet?

I was just curious about this, I'd appreciate if one of the existing NYCOM students can respond.

Besides for the designated rooms for the DPM students, are there any (quiet) rooms at NYCOM for studying? I live with my family, so studying at home wouldn't work out well for me. I need absolute quiet to properly concentrate, should I be renting my own space for studying??

Thanks.

I was just curious about this, I'd appreciate if one of the existing NYCOM students can respond.

Besides for the designated rooms for the DPM students, are there any (quiet) rooms at NYCOM for studying? I live with my family, so studying at home wouldn't work out well for me. I need absolute quiet to properly concentrate, should I be renting my own space for studying??

Thanks.
There are a couple of places on campus to study. You can study in the study room in NYCOM II though they made it smaller recently to add more ICC rooms. You can also study in NYCOM library or the wiser library (NYIT library). You could study in the lecture room itself which, after sitting there for some days from 8-5, I would need a change of scenery. If the multi purpose room in NYCOM I is open you could study there. On nice days you can study outside. Hope this helps.

Thanks.

If you are looking for something really private, in the bottom floor of the NYCOM library there are private study rooms. Technically you need to have more than one person to occupy these, but most of the time, it's just first come first serve, and people keep it all day. I say study where you are physically comfortable (meaning like a good chair, good table height, etc) then buy yourself a pack of silicon ear plugs.

When should we go deal with the ID card and parking permit stuff? :confused: Anyone?
I am planning to go visit the bookstore next week

When should we go deal with the ID card and parking permit stuff? :confused: Anyone?
I am planning to go visit the bookstore next week

It depends on if they'll let you do it ahead of time. For our class (2010) we were allowed to go the friday before orientation and do it. For the 2011 class, they all had to do it at orientation. So call admissions and ask.
If you're going to the bookstore to get a sweatshirt or something, go for it, if you're going for books, don't bother. First, they probably are low on supply. Second, buy your books on half.com or something, don't shell out full price at the bookstore.

It depends on if they'll let you do it ahead of time. For our class (2010) we were allowed to go the friday before orientation and do it. For the 2011 class, they all had to do it at orientation. So call admissions and ask.
If you're going to the bookstore to get a sweatshirt or something, go for it, if you're going for books, don't bother. First, they probably are low on supply. Second, buy your books on half.com or something, don't shell out full price at the bookstore.

Thank you so much for the advice. I will give them a call later.
I thought the CPR book is only available in the NYCOM bookstore...

Thank you so much for the advice. I will give them a call later.
I thought the CPR book is only available in the NYCOM bookstore...

What CPR book? Like the book for the BLS course? You don't even need to buy that, and you won't take BLS until Februrary or so.

What CPR book? Like the book for the BLS course? You don't even need to buy that, and you won't take BLS until Februrary or so.

Right, book for the BLS course. I thought we have to finish the course by June (misunderstood from the student book).

btw. the planet fitness you mentioned above, I believe it is 10$ everywhere if you only use the gym in one certain location but 20$/month for all access. I am thinking about joining the membership...

Hey!

A room is available in a 5 bedroom/2 bathroom house 7 min drive from NYCOM. Big, bright, beautiful house with a huge backyard and basement. Big living room, dining room, kitchen with new appliances and dishwasher, laundry, parking.
3 friendly and respectful girls are finishing up 1st year, and 1 who just joined us will be starting NYCOM next year.
We are looking for a friendly and respectful girl to join us.
The room is not big, but a bed, desk, and bookshelves fit well. The room has a big closet and a big window.
$575/month plus a share of utilites that we split 5 ways.
Lease starts on July 1st.
PM me for more details or if you'd like to come by to take a look.

Thanks!

Right, book for the BLS course. I thought we have to finish the course by June (misunderstood from the student book).

btw. the planet fitness you mentioned above, I believe it is 10$ everywhere if you only use the gym in one certain location but 20$/month for all access. I am thinking about joining the membership...

Ya, I wouldn't bother going to the bookstore for anything unless you're looking for some NYCOM gear. The only person I know who buys their books from there is my fiance because the army reimburses him for everything, so he doesn't care how much they cost. Even the BLS book (when you get there) can be bought online if you decide you want it (or from a 2nd year who wishes they never bought theirs). If you are looking to get some books ahead of time because they take a little time to order, you can read through the NYCOM forums, and figure out the common books that everyone says are "must haves" and which ones aren't worth it. Good luck!

Oh, and I like planet fitness for it's cheapness! The only people I wouldn't recommend it to are people who are looking for a good nautilus circuit (theirs sucks) or classes. If you're just looking for tread mills, ellipticals, and weights, it's def great for $10. Also, If you have more than one that you'd frequent, go for the $20.

To KateGia, Kappy,

Thanks for the info on study rooms.

Ya, I wouldn't bother going to the bookstore for anything unless you're looking for some NYCOM gear. The only person I know who buys their books from there is my fiance because the army reimburses him for everything, so he doesn't care how much they cost. Even the BLS book (when you get there) can be bought online if you decide you want it (or from a 2nd year who wishes they never bought theirs). If you are looking to get some books ahead of time because they take a little time to order, you can read through the NYCOM forums, and figure out the common books that everyone says are "must haves" and which ones aren't worth it. Good luck!

Oh, and I like planet fitness for it's cheapness! The only people I wouldn't recommend it to are people who are looking for a good nautilus circuit (theirs sucks) or classes. If you're just looking for tread mills, ellipticals, and weights, it's def great for $10. Also, If you have more than one that you'd frequent, go for the $20.

Is there any NYCOM specific gear or does everything just say NYIT on it? I was thinking of picking up a NYCOM sweatshirt if they have one, but realized this might be a problem. I'd also love a NYCOM bumper sticker :p

Is there any NYCOM specific gear or does everything just say NYIT on it? I was thinking of picking up a NYCOM sweatshirt if they have one, but realized this might be a problem. I'd also love a NYCOM bumper sticker :p

They have NYCOM specific stuff. Pretty nice sweatshirts, t-shirts, hats, coffee mugs, window decals, key chains... etc etc. They don't have a HUGE variety, so you inevitably will have the same sweatshirt as 1/5 of the class, but oh well. :)

:D Thanks a lot. :thumbup:

I read the first few posts regarding this on the first page of posts in the thread but I was wondering if I could get the advice of a current NYCOM student. I have an ibook and I'm wondering if I could still do this paralleling thing with the streaming. Do I need a PC to get on the server itself or can I still use a Mac? At my undergrad school, we used Cisco and there were different ways to get on the wireless server using that and Airport for Macs. So sorry to ramble, but my basic question to current Mac users is: how do you stream lectures using an ibook that probably can't do what the newer macbook/airbook can do with running the PC OS?
Thanks for any advice! I'll be replacing/not replacing my ibook based on your answers!

Have any of you guys gotten a tuition bill for NYCOM yet?
Hey, don't see that anyone responded to you, but I got mine a few days ago. Looks like this semester is:
$23,320.65
- 1,500.00 deposit

$21,820.65.

Im going to start NYCOM in august and I was wondering if it's better to take the stafford loan out from NYCOM or another outside lender.

Shouldn't this thread be moved back to the Osteopathic -> Classes forum with all the other class threads?

Hey, don't see that anyone responded to you, but I got mine a few days ago. Looks like this semester is:
$23,320.65
- 1,500.00 deposit

$21,820.65.

Yeah I wished they had a breakdown of the 22k. I kinda want to know how much is the 50% health insurance and 100% dental insurance, which I will waiver off.

I got the same bill, and a notice stating that the $$ is due on August 1st. Isn't that before our financial aid checks get disbursed??!!! I've been checking my financial aid status and it seems like it's still being processed...Without financial aid I have no way to shell out $21,820.65, and I assume most students are in the same boat. any ideas about this??

Don't worry about it, you'll get a thousand bills before school starts. It gets taken care of automatically when your financial aid is dispersed.

Last edited:
We got this email a few days ago and I thought you guys would be interested in it.....

New York College of Osteopathic Medicine
Educational Consortium

"Committed to Quality Osteopathic Postdoctoral Education"

ANNOUNCEMENT!!

To All Osteopathic Medical Students:

On Thursday, May 29, 2008, the Discovery Channel will televise a medical education special entitled,

"911 - THE BRONX"

a documentary filmed at St. Barnabas Hospital, Bronx, New York, beginning at 8 PM. Three consecutive one hour episodes will be shown that night. Tune in and watch our osteopathic EM Attendings and residents in action!

Episode 1: 911: The Bronx - 8 PM

Dr. Zambito helps a patient fight for his life after a four-story fall. Dr. Szabo and her team race to save the foot of a 12-year-old boy hit by a car. Dr. Appelbaum administers to a gun-shot victim.

Episode 2: 911: The Bronx - 9 PM

Dr. Appelbaum brings a heart attack victim back to life. Dr. Watkins helps a mom and her newborn survive a horrific car crash. Dr. Zambito helps a 65-year-old man who has fallen two floors down an elevator shaft.

Episode 3: 911: The Bronx - 10 PM

Dr. Acosta treats a man who fell five stories. Dr. Garcia treats a shopkeeper who was shot in the head at pointblank range. Dr. Szabo treats a woman who accidentally drank a bottle of cleaning fluid.

St. Barnabas Hospital is a 461-bed provider of hospital services to the North Bronx/Fordham area of New York. St. Barnabas provides a wide-range of services to a culturally diverse patient population, one with a high incidence, variety and acuity of pathology. In addition to medical and surgical beds, there are active services in osteopathic manipulative medicine, critcal care, trauma, obstetrics and gynecology, pediatrics, psychiatry, rehabilitation medicine, alcohol and chemical dependency, and dentistry.

St. Barnabas servies as a major clinical campus of New York College of Osteopathic Medicine, and provides 327 clinical rotations for more than 250 students each year from osteopathic colleges across the country. The hospital sponsors AOA accredited residency programs in emergency medicine/internal medicine, family practice, internal medicine, osteopathic manipulative medicne, diagnostic radiology and general surgery with a total of 250 residents in its osteopathic and allopathic programs. The hospital also offers fellowships in Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Surgical Critical Care.

For more information, please contact NYCOMEC at 800-20-NYCOM or e-mail us at [email protected].

My landlord wanted me to pass along an available apartment to you guys....

1 Bedroom Cottage Apartment available in Glenwood Landing
5-10 min drive from Campus off Glen Head Road
Full kitchen and bathroom, parking on street.
Rent $800 + utilities
Looking to rent on July 1st
Please call Herb at (516) 671-1139

It's a quiet neighborhood and the cottage is set apart from the main house. Very close to campus.

Glen Cove- Room for rent with Private Entrance. Utilities + Cable included. Prime location close to LIRR, Starbucks, and restaurants. 10 mins from school, wonderful landlords. Available July. Rent is $550. Females only.

Contact Rosalie Russo 516-676-8230

Congrats to everyone :thumbup:

did anyone apply for any scholarships and get any money?! when I went to speak with Tanya at finaid she said most of the deadlines had passed but she did give me one for being Jewish. Just wondering what other options there are besides being a stripper to pay off your debt haha

you got a scholarship for just being jewish? umm that wasn't in the brochure and I'd like one too!

Two rooms available. Oyster Bay house to be shared with NYCOM students. Two second years live there now and will be living there for the next academic year. Rents range from $450 to $550 per month plus utilities. Laundry room with Washer/Dryer. Two full bathrooms. Living room. Basement for storage. Fenced in backyard. Large EIK with microwave, dishwasher, and 2 refrigerators. Parking in the driveway. Landscaping included. Housekeeping included. Cable TV and internet included. 10 minute drive from NYCOM campus.

Peter Bianco
516-728-5355

[email protected]

Lexington Avenue at Tooker Avenue

Last edited:
For those of yall who are getting an unsubsidized stafford loan, I was wondering who your lender is? I've read all the posts on this so far and found out as much as I could about using NYCOM as a lender, but it doesn't look like they have the best benefits.
I looked at the benefits the top lenders (using finaid.org's list) were offering and these are the best deals I came up with. What do you think?

NYCOM: grant for origination fee, no default fee

Citibank: 0.50% automatic interest rate reduction when you enter repayment, 0.25% interest rate reduction when you enroll in our auto-debit payment program

Wells Fargo: 0% origination, 0% default Fee

Citizens Bank: 0% origination, 0-1% default depending on guarantor chosen by school, 0.3% IR Reduction for automatic payment deduction from any bank account

The Student Loan People: 0% origination, 0% default

Union Bank and Trust Company: 1% interest rate reduction for auto-debit participation, 1% interest rate reduction after 24 on-time payments, 1% (additional) interest rate reduction after 36 on-time payments

Rhode Island Student Loan Authority: 0% origination, 1% rate reduction after 36 consecutive on-time payments, 0.5% interest rate reduction for auto pays via ACH (?)

So yeah, no origination/default fee reductions unless noted. And most of these rates only apply to loans guaranteed before July 1 of this year. If I understand it correctly, there's no point in waiting for the fed to announce new rates (like it would be for other loans) b/c Stafford unsub is fixed at 6.8?

Basically my question is, what did you guys look for in a loan? No fees or interest rate reductions? Thanks for bearing with me in this ridiculously long post, guys. I'm just really lost. Any advice/thoughts would be helpful!