NYCOM Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks KateGai,... I just applied for the GRAD plus yesterday, and they said I should have the money in time for classes (thank god I have some savings to pay my rent come Aug.), I have already been approved for the NYCOM stafford loan, so atleast I know I'll be able to pay for tuition.

Someone posted the question before about not receiving funds before the NYCOM deadline. I've spoke to NYCOM and from my understanding, if you went through NYCOM as the lender, you don't need to worry about the deadlines. They have on file that you have applied for their loan, and they consider that as "on-time payment."

Lastly, what are the details of this "picnic" on Aug. 16th?

Members don't see this ad.

join the nycom facebook group in my signature and talk to the picnic organizers. they are officers of the group.

My issue right now is that I got my Stafford Loan, but it isn't enough to cover everything. The bill with all the "supplies" I talked to Finaid about comes to about 45k and the total stafford is 42k. I didn't take anything extra because I'm living home and finaid pretty much assured me that if I took the max stafford loan, I'd be covered.

I feel like nycom is not very forward with the information and if you don't ask and clarify, you will not find everything out that you need to know.

I'm going to the school tomorrow to speak with someone. I don't know about most of you, but I am CLUELESS when it comes to loans and interest and all of this! Anyone else worried or lost?

Members don't see this ad :)
this may be a stupid question but here I go, I'm thinking about getting a tablet pc. Would this make sense, I want to take notes on it while in lecture. I know that the notes are put in ur mailbox before class, but will I have to print them or are they availiable on the pc?

Last edited:
I have been involved in tablet pc discussion for nycom at nauseum on these forums as I was also strongly considering one. I opted not to get one in the end. If you want to see the discussions you can check the past few pages here, the 2011 class thread (most of it is there i think) and maybe the laptop thread.

Personally, I wasn't happy with the technology available for tablets yet. Also, if you type faster than you write (like me) there's really no point to get a tablet. Just get Microsoft OneNote and with a regular laptop you can still type in all of your notes anywhere on the lecture slides. You just won't be able to handwrite on the screen. Not to mention the fact that we are given the printed out slides before class as well as given the chance to D/L them on our laptops.

LarLar, I also have the MAX staff. loan out, so let me know how it goes at the school today and what they have to say about the additional expenses. Thanks.

what's up NYCOM colleagues. Just got the acceptance letter today. See you in a few weeks!

oh I actually would like to know what you do during the summer after your 1st year of med school and what other people are doing?

a lot of people do research, either through NYCOM or somewhere else on their own. there are also some programs that get you involved with clinical stuff, whether abroad or locally. it's really our last summer off so a lot of people decide to do nothing related to school/medicine.

i'm doing clinical research in an emergency department. it's fun and i still have plenty of time off.

a lot of people do research, either through NYCOM or somewhere else on their own. there are also some programs that get you involved with clinical stuff, whether abroad or locally. it's really our last summer off so a lot of people decide to do nothing related to school/medicine.

i'm doing clinical research in an emergency department. it's fun and i still have plenty of time off.

Vee,...how forward is NYCOM administration about notifying the students about possible opportunities they offer?...If the students have to be proactive in finding them themselves (which I assume will be the case), what department/website can I find all of these programs or offers? Thanks.

LarLar, I also have the MAX staff. loan out, so let me know how it goes at the school today and what they have to say about the additional expenses. Thanks.

I found out that if you are still under a parent health insurance, you'll be okay because I believe tuition flat is 39k and change. Then with the health insurance, its like 3,800. Plus you'll need about 1k-2k for books/supplies. They said if you need more and can't supply that amount, you can take a private loan for any amount. We also get the $1500 deposit off the first semester and the NYCOM grant if you've used sallie mae. Kind of confusing, but I think I've got it now! Hope this helps!

ps-I also heard that NYCOM is hosting a BBQ July 25th?

Thanks man! Med prep was awesome. I'm glad I had the opportunity.

I look forward to seeing you all August 18th!
Congratulation, you have chosen a great place for the next 4 yeras!:) :thumbup:!

Members don't see this ad :)
Vee,...how forward is NYCOM administration about notifying the students about possible opportunities they offer?...If the students have to be proactive in finding them themselves (which I assume will be the case), what department/website can I find all of these programs or offers? Thanks.

NYCOM definitely tells us about some of the programs. You'll start getting a lot of emails in the spring about various opportunities. I found what I'm doing on my own, though I used NYCOM resources to do it (I emailed a faculty member who put me in touch with his good friend who works in the ED that I'm doing research at). There's no shortage of potential summer activities, that is for sure.

My issue right now is that I got my Stafford Loan, but it isn't enough to cover everything. The bill with all the "supplies" I talked to Finaid about comes to about 45k and the total stafford is 42k. I didn't take anything extra because I'm living home and finaid pretty much assured me that if I took the max stafford loan, I'd be covered.

I feel like nycom is not very forward with the information and if you don't ask and clarify, you will not find everything out that you need to know.

I'm going to the school tomorrow to speak with someone. I don't know about most of you, but I am CLUELESS when it comes to loans and interest and all of this! Anyone else worried or lost?
I feel EXACTLY the same way. I feel like I got altered information from NYCOM, because I too thought I would be totally fine with Stafford loans and it doesn't even cover that bill they sent us. I'm prety upset about that. And when I try to ask the office of Financial Aid questions through e-mail, it takes a week to get back to me and they never actually answer my question.

I feel EXACTLY the same way. I feel like I got altered information from NYCOM, because I too thought I would be totally fine with Stafford loans and it doesn't even cover that bill they sent us. I'm prety upset about that. And when I try to ask the office of Financial Aid questions through e-mail, it takes a week to get back to me and they never actually answer my question.

Hah, at least you got a response. I think I e-mailed them about 4 times over the course of the summer about something not particularly urgent (my town was wrong in addresses) and they never responded and never changed it. When I finally call them, the woman was pretty bitchy about that and other questions... I wanted to speak to a Financial Aid officer (if there were any) to clear up stuff with Stafford Loans and she refused that and tried to convince me that all lenders were the same and that I needed to stick with NYCOM as a lender. :(

okay, so today i went to check out the bookstore. They are selling t-shirt for 20$ and sweater for 40$... I couldn't even afford those were on sale (so called "50% off")
good weather though. I really enjoyed the driving part. :p

okay, so today i went to check out the bookstore. They are selling t-shirt for 20$ and sweater for 40$...

ever been to the university of southern california bookstore? :laugh:

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had their Grad Plus Loans approved?
The Stafford loans don't cover the entire amount after the fees and other misc. costs. I think it's short $800...ahhh the insanity. LOL

Everyone here has been an ocean of information and I just wanted to say everyone's input has been awesome.

I found out that if you are still under a parent health insurance, you'll be okay because I believe tuition flat is 39k and change. Then with the health insurance, its like 3,800. Plus you'll need about 1k-2k for books/supplies. They said if you need more and can't supply that amount, you can take a private loan for any amount. We also get the $1500 deposit off the first semester and the NYCOM grant if you've used sallie mae. Kind of confusing, but I think I've got it now! Hope this helps!

ps-I also heard that NYCOM is hosting a BBQ July 25th?

haha wait we get a NYCOM grant? Also, I didn't know they really are hosting anything to my knowledge until orientation.

edit: oh wait nvm I remember the grant now. Anyone knows how much is this grant?

Okay, I don't know about the grant....but I would like to, so if anyone has been staying on top of things like we should be and not simply planning on showing up on the 18th like myself, please let me know, I'd appreciate it. Also, anyone know if there is a club soccer team or some sort of soccer at NYCOM??? If not, anyone play that would want to be a part of setting something up?

Okay, I don't know about the grant....but I would like to, so if anyone has been staying on top of things like we should be and not simply planning on showing up on the 18th like myself, please let me know, I'd appreciate it. Also, anyone know if there is a club soccer team or some sort of soccer at NYCOM??? If not, anyone play that would want to be a part of setting something up?

http://iris.nyit.edu/nycom/Admissions_Financial_Aid.htm

yeah scroll down to the "Loans and Grants Federal Family Education Loan Programs Federal Stafford Loans" section and you will see this:
In partnership with Salliemae, NYCOM participates in the School as Lender program which is federally approved and regulated. This program allows NYCOM to lend the funds to you and then sell the loan to Salliemae. When NYCOM sells the loan, Salliemae pays NYCOM a premium. In accordance with Federal regulations, this premium and any interest earned is used strictly for need-based grants awarded to NYCOM students. NYCOM is now able to offer grants and scholarships to our students. Without this program, NYCOM would have no institutional funding for need-based grants.

so yeah I think that's where were getting that information. somehow I highly doubt we will get some kind of grant. although it would be awesome :D

Is insurance included in our tuition that will be paid for by the Stafford Loan or will we have to pay for that from our grad plus loans?

Is insurance included in our tuition that will be paid for by the Stafford Loan or will we have to pay for that from our grad plus loans?

the 1st semester tuition bill includes 50% of the medical insurance and 100% of the dental insurance and 100% of the fees.

You will be missing about close to a thousand dollars I think if you are paying just with the stafford loan. Then you will need GRAD Plus loans. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not worried because I will be under my parent's insurance so that'll save $3,500 that'll be used for books, etc. But if I was missing anything, I would rather just pay it off myself from working in the summer than take out a thousand dollars with an 8.5% interest rate. However, do what you feel is right for you. :)

Does anyone know what the exam/quiz schedule like? I think I heard that it was a test/quiz a week on Mondays or Tuesdays. I suppose we can kiss all our future weekends and the idea of going out to NYC friday/sat night good bye. Please tell me that's not true

Thanks, but I have to get a large Grad plus loan no matter what, I don't live in NY, so I have to pay for housing and all that good stuff.

Does anyone know what the exam/quiz schedule like? I think I heard that it was a test/quiz a week on Mondays or Tuesdays. I suppose we can kiss all our future weekends and the idea of going out to NYC friday/sat night good bye. Please tell me that's not true

It's not true. The quizzes serve virtually no purpose at all other than to provide you with either a mild panic, a minor irritation, or a false sense of security during fundamentals. Having said that, for someone who doesn't have a traditional pre-med background, fundamentals was one of the more difficult courses you'll suffer through-- and I mean suffer, the hours get much better once it is over.

the 1st semester tuition bill includes 50% of the medical insurance and 100% of the dental insurance and 100% of the fees.

You will be missing about close to a thousand dollars I think if you are paying just with the stafford loan. Then you will need GRAD Plus loans. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm not worried because I will be under my parent's insurance so that'll save $3,500 that'll be used for books, etc. But if I was missing anything, I would rather just pay it off myself from working in the summer than take out a thousand dollars with an 8.5% interest rate. However, do what you feel is right for you. :)

I'm just wondering how to get this off from my bill. I have medicaid. Are we suppose to bring the documentation on day of orientation or before?? because I believe I read someplace about having a month or so to do this, but that month would still not get rid of the full payment if we want to opt out of NYCOM's insurance. I just don't want any surprises and hidden charges if I start presenting my documentation. anyone know when to do this?? confused :confused:

I think the best bet would be to call admissions, and tell them that you do not want to take part in the NYCOM insurance....I'm sure they'd be more helpful than anything we post here...then again, I hear NYCOM admissions makes you bend over backwards for everything, and they act like it's a "stress" for them to get you information, which I have found to be somewhat true...except Tanya from financial aid...ask to speak to her if you have any questions about money.

It's not true. The quizzes serve virtually no purpose at all other than to provide you with either a mild panic, a minor irritation, or a false sense of security during fundamentals. Having said that, for someone who doesn't have a traditional pre-med background, fundamentals was one of the more difficult courses you'll suffer through-- and I mean suffer, the hours get much better once it is over.

thanks lals, what does fundamentals cover? Mirco, Biochem, Genetics?

yea I got the same answer in regards to the NYCOM insurance... fill out the waiver and bring it to orientation. I called student services and spoke to Dominic Gagnon a month ago.

I know that NYCOM uses email as its primary form of communication.... Have we been assigned EMAIL addresses yet?....If so, where do I log in and have they been sending us any important info via the emails yet?

I know that NYCOM uses email as its primary form of communication.... Have we been assigned EMAIL addresses yet?....If so, where do I log in and have they been sending us any important info via the emails yet?

not that i know of

not that i know of
You will get them by orientation. You could set them up yourself. I did last year, but I don't remember how. You could check the first thread for class of 2011. The instructions should be buried in there. Until orientation they will be using the web board to give you important information. At least that is what they did last year.

You will get them by orientation. You could set them up yourself. I did last year, but I don't remember how. You could check the first thread for class of 2011. The instructions should be buried in there. Until orientation they will be using the web board to give you important information. At least that is what they did last year.

thanks for the info kappy. i found the info to set it up on the original 2011 website and set up my nyit email account (you were actually the one who told everyone else how to do it how can you forget!! :D). i'm guessing they assign your username and you cannot change it once it's set?

for all those who want to do this. go to NYCOM website-->student resources-->nyit connect or MyMail. then the only tricky part is to realize that your student ID is printed on the bills you have already received from NYCOM. input your student id, set your password and you are on your way.

thanks for the info kappy. i found the info to set it up on the original 2011 website and set up my nyit email account (you were actually the one who told everyone else how to do it how can you forget!! :D). i'm guessing they assign your username and you cannot change it once it's set?

for all those who want to do this. go to NYCOM website-->student resources-->nyit connect or MyMail. then the only tricky part is to realize that your student ID is printed on the bills you have already received from NYCOM. input your student id, set your password and you are on your way.

thanks. I got it too. Now im trying to figure out how to setup the pop3.

you mean like to make the email work with outlook?

hey guys, I know it's late but I just wanted to post this: 2 new NYCOM students looking for one more in a nice, very spacious apartment in glen cove..10 mins from school. Contact me at [email protected] if you or anyone you know might be interested

you mean like to make the email work with outlook?

yup. I can't find any information on NYCOM website. Also, the email account doesn't work properly with my blackberry. :(

Thanks. I figured it out last night. I am using imap.nyit.edu on my blackberry and so far it works okay but receiving message is somewhat slower than other email accounts (takes about 2-5 mins longer). For the outlook, I am also using imap.nyit.edu as the pop server but I have no clue about the smtp server so it can only receive messages at this moment. I will try to use the ISP outgoing server and hopefully it will work.

thanks lals, what does fundamentals cover? Mirco, Biochem, Genetics?

All that and then some. One of the worse aspects of fundamentals is the seemingly unrelated nature of the material. You get a little bit of everything without really knowing why, and often without any clinical hint as to how something may be relevant in the future. In addition to the subjects above, you will also be inundated with anatomy and iniated into the bizzare vernacular of OMM. Fundamentals can be a sort of trial by fire, so tread carefully. The thing to remember come test time is, though everything that is taught is fair game, the number of questions on each is exam is proportional to the number of schedueled hours (not actual) devoted to each lecture. It isn't all bad though. Enjoy Dr. Elkowitz. He is one of the few instructors that will recognize that you are, in fact, 1st year medical students, but will still address you in a mature, truly nurturing manner. I started enjoying medical school once his lectures began.

All that and then some. One of the worse aspects of fundamentals is the seemingly unrelated nature of the material. You get a little bit of everything without really knowing why, and often without any clinical hint as to how something may be relevant in the future. In addition to the subjects above, you will also be inundated with anatomy and iniated into the bizzare vernacular of OMM. Fundamentals can be a sort of trial by fire, so tread carefully. The thing to remember come test time is, though everything that is taught is fair game, the number of questions on each is exam is proportional to the number of schedueled hours (not actual) devoted to each lecture. It isn't all bad though. Enjoy Dr. Elkowitz. He is one of the few instructors that will recognize that you are, in fact, 1st year medical students, but will still address you in a mature, truly nurturing manner. I started enjoying medical school once his lectures began.
:thumbup:
I agree with all of what was already said for the most part. Fundamentals is tough because you are everywhere and nowhere all at the same time. You are taking in the basics of all courses that would have been taught had they been teaching us in a course based curriculum. (i.e. OMM, Anatomy, physiology, biochem, micro., Nuero, Musculoskeletal, Radiology, Histology, Genetics etc..) No real overlap of information. In other systems you will see many of the same diseases over and over again which is helpful. As Dr. Plummer says whatever you don't get in one lecture you will get in another at some point. Everything that is taught is fair game. In general, the number of questions in each exam is proportional to the number of lecture hours the lecturer had to lecture. However it is a generalization not the rule. There were times where it was skewed. Unfortunately Dr. Elkowitz didn't really teach us until the very end of the course. If you can get through Fundamentals and Neuro. you can get through anything.

Thanks you guys. I hope my background as a Neurobiology and behavior major in college and being a Biochemistry TA will help. I already took neurophysiology, neuroanatomy, electronics in neurobiology, Sensory Systems, and Somatic systems... :D

I am a bit confused about Orientation, do classes start after the first week of orientation or during that first week?

I am a bit confused about Orientation, do classes start after the first week of orientation or during that first week?

Orientation is not a week long event. It is a one day thing, August 18th. The day after that, August 19th, We start fundamentals.

ahh i wish it was a week lol

ahh i wish it was a week lol

As do I bro. But there is the unofficial Picnic on Sat. And I would hope a bunch of us will be going out in the City on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and maybe even Sunday night before August 18th