Nycom Medprep program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skiiboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok I'm having some trouble making a decision about what to do, perhaps you guys could help me out. I'm starting NYCOM this fall. I did well in undergrad and got a pretty competitive mcat score. I did not apply to any allopathic schools because I truly want to be an osteopath. Nycom offers this summer program called "medprep". Nycom mandates that certain "weak" applicants enroll in this program and grants them a conditional acceptance based on there successful passing of this program. Basically for over a month they give you a taste of whats its like to be in medical school by actually starting you into the curriculums of anatomy, biochem, omm etc... It gives you a real good head start with material but also gets you in the groove of studying and reading alot. This helps because most incoming students tell me that in August it takes students a couple weeks to make the transition from the summer "mindset" into the hardcore studying that they have to do. Although I know I can do well at NYCOM without this, I'm a little aprehensive because I never took biochemistry or anatomy. Also, I'm willing to sacrifice my last summer in order to feel more confident and better prepared.
My concern is this.... This medprep program is taught by the very same professors as the actual medical school courses. The problem is that 99% maybe even a 100% only attend because they have to.. their acceptances are based on there completion of the program. I do not want to be tracked as someone who has barely gotten into the school. Supposedly you may enroll voluntarily but it is extremely rare (what I would be doing). Therefore all of the professors will believe that I was barely accepted to the school and I do not want them to believe that about me for my years at NYCOM. While it may sound paranoid, I hope many of you can understand that even just the chance of having a stigma with even just one professor in medical school, is not something you want. Especially when your actual application tells quit a different story. So perhaps some of you can help shed some light/give me a different perspective on this issue. Thanks :thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Don't do it unless you have to. Once you start school you'll feel like free time doesn't exist. Every second you're not studying you'll feel like you should be. Relax and enjoy your last real summer ever.

Buster Douglas said:
Don't do it unless you have to. Once you start school you'll feel like free time doesn't exist. Every second you're not studying you'll feel like you should be. Relax and enjoy your last real summer ever.

agreed. if they're not making you take it, then they're not worried about your ability to pass , and so you shouldn't either. relax, enjoy your summer, and be happy that you're not being forced to take extra classes! I had never taken biochemistry before and it was one of my better grades (biochem in medical school isn't so bad, at least here at LECOM). I had taken anatomy before and it didn't really make a difference- i still struggled. but regardless, you'll have to make the decision you are most comfortable with . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
I have many friends who came out the medprep program at NYCOM and only have great things to say about it. You will have the opportunity to build a bond with the professors before school even starts and from what I have seen the medprep program students do fairly well. The prep is not at all intensive no real hardcore sciences. I wouldn't worry about the stigma, a lot us would have attended if given the opportunity (it was not an option for us last year) The professors here are not like those in undergrad if you got in they know there is a reason why you are there. So what if you don't have the best grades, as long as you can be a great doctor. From my own interactions with the professors here, they are not concerned as much for your grades as they are with your ability to treat them and their family in the future. My anatomy professor said to me it is more important if you know how to hold a patients hands rather than all the muscles in the hand. Those that got out of the medprep program are very close knit since they spent the summer together, they developed a study group and strategy before even the first day of class. It is really not a big deal and nobody really questions your ability. We all have our strengths.

OOps ! I fail to read that you are volunteering for this because of fear of hard sciences- DOn't do it for that reason, it does not help you with those topics. THe program helps you with study techniques and basic introductions to classes. You won't gain any science understanding from the program.

Hey Indebt...
Can you remember when NYCOM orientation started last year. I'm trying to make some summer plans and would like a rough guess for this year.

Thanks

I think it was the last week of August, but it changes from year to year supposedly since the second years were saying that it we were lucky since we started later

Curious...

Does NYCOM not have enough qualified applicants that they need to dip into the almost qualified applicant pool and send them to the MedPrep program?

No insults whatsoever to NYCOM... It's my first choice school, the only school that I want to attend, and I'm not overly qualified in the least.

Hahaha lol!... Nah I think that they just see something different about these individuals. From the people I have met, some of them have been out of school for awhile. All of them from the program have extensive experiences and lots to contribute. More importantly most of them are extremely cordial. They are definitely not those med school student you would expect. They got Personality! These guys are usually very cordial and funny, they add a dimension to NYCOM. I think the Administration saw this when they interviewed them... NYCOM is know for giving people chance based on community contribution and not simply just grades. There are people with low 20's on the MCAT but also been in the medical field for over a decade, so which tells more about a persons potential? who knows?

don't know much about the medprep but did you get informed of this in your acceptance letter?

they mentioned this in the NYCOM class of 2009 thread as well.

Lot's of luck to you and see you in Fall. :luck:

indebt said:
I think it was the last week of August, but it changes from year to year supposedly since the second years were saying that it we were lucky since we started later
It was at the end of August. I think August 22nd last year but it will probably be a little different this year.

mohammed.r said:
I was accepted conditionally and was wondering if anyone can tell me about the program, from a student's perspective. When they mean successful, do they mean acing tests, participation, etc?

Ok ... indebt wrote this ...

indebt said:
OOps ! I fail to read that you are volunteering for this because of fear of hard sciences- DOn't do it for that reason, it does not help you with those topics. THe program helps you with study techniques and basic introductions to classes. You won't gain any science understanding from the program.

But how is a successful summer program in this going to subject that you can enroll in the fall with the other MS? That type of program never made sense to me if you are just teaching study skills and no hard sciences? :confused:

from post #142 of NYCOM class of 2009 thread:

the medprep is a month long program with classes on biochem, anatomy, phyisiology, omm intro., community med, e.t.c the classes run from 9-4 everyday (like summer school) u get to meet faculty and get a fill of the school. i guess it is only available to certain students. i got something in the mail asking me if i want to attend. it starts on wed. june 1 and then oreintation starts at the end of aug.

because the classes are now integrated maybe they will change it up a little, but you do get taught basic sciences in medprep programs.

I think that indept is saying the program is not designed to give you some huge edge over your classmates not taking the program but to introduce you to the amount of work you will have to handle during med school, help you get organized and familiar with the school, and hopefully get you into your study groove before class starts.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=169459&page=6&pp=25&highlight=medprep

HunterGatherer said:
from post #142 of NYCOM class of 2009 thread:

the medprep is a month long program with classes on biochem, anatomy, phyisiology, omm intro., community med, e.t.c the classes run from 9-4 everyday (like summer school) u get to meet faculty and get a fill of the school. i guess it is only available to certain students. i got something in the mail asking me if i want to attend. it starts on wed. june 1 and then oreintation starts at the end of aug.

because the classes are now integrated maybe they will change it up a little, but you do get taught basic sciences in medprep programs.

So do certain students get information about this program post-interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
drjds said:
So do certain students get information about this program post-interview?

That's what it looks like. instead of a rejection or acceptance letter you get a conditional acceptance letter.

Most acceptances are conditional anyways. I need to get my bachelor's and complete my current courses successfully.

HunterGatherer said:
don't know much about the medprep but did you get informed of this in your acceptance letter?

they mentioned this in the NYCOM class of 2009 thread as well.

Lot's of luck to you and see you in Fall. :luck:

of all schools i interviewed at, both md and do, i loved nycom far and away the most...i interviewed 2.5 weeks ago, and am dying to know... how long til you find out? i have deposit deadlines for other schools looming, and they would be a total waste of money if i could just get an acceptance to nycom...

so, um, yeah, did it take the full 4-6 to find out something for you?

and can anyone who reads this please please keep their fingers crossed for me? (thank you if you do!).

Took me 25 days vial mail. Some who interviewed right before the adcom met had a shorter turn around time

my fingers are now crossed.
:luck:

noonday said:
of all schools i interviewed at, both md and do, i loved nycom far and away the most...i interviewed 2.5 weeks ago, and am dying to know... how long til you find out? i have deposit deadlines for other schools looming, and they would be a total waste of money if i could just get an acceptance to nycom...

so, um, yeah, did it take the full 4-6 to find out something for you?

and can anyone who reads this please please keep their fingers crossed for me? (thank you if you do!).

yanky5 said:
It was at the end of August. I think August 22nd last year but it will probably be a little different this year.

why do you say it will be a little bit different? I know every class since 2001 has started the last week of august... but people seem to be mentioning it starting at a different time this year... any reason for that?

I don't know, just a feeling I have. It will probably also be around August 22nd.

mohammed.r said:
I was accepted conditionally and was wondering if anyone can tell me about the program, from a student's perspective. When they mean successful, do they mean acing tests, participation, etc?

Just curious as to what your stats were for you to be put in this type of program?

mohammed.r said:
3.2 in science and a 3.1 overall, bombed the mcat, but my classes go like this,
Biochem 1 A
Biochem 2 A
Endocrinology A-
Population Biology A
NeuroBio B+
Microbiology A-
Biological Anthropology A
Orgo 1 B-
Orgo 2 A
Chem 1 A
Chem 2 A
physics 1 A
Physics 2 B+
Anatomy 1 A
Anatomy 2 A
Bio 1 and 2 B and B+
Bacterial Moloecular Genetics A-
Graduate Immuno A-
Grad Biochem 1 and 2 A- A
Graduate Physio 1 and 2 A and A
but 19 on mcat
D+ in calculus
C- in Contempory religious thought
C- in Pchem
and D- in philosophy tough to recover from these classes.. I called the admissions committee today and they told me the MED Prep Program was for students who did not compete directly against others for admissions, probably due to my sucky mcat and couple of D's a few W and the two C. I sounded a bit depressed and mrs Z. told me to cheer up, I was accepted to the class of 2010, all i have to do is show up for 29 days in june, and get a head start on med classes, they even provide dorms. Hey I will get in any way I can you know...

What was your major?

Good luck! :D

mohammed.r said:
I sounded a bit depressed and mrs Z. told me to cheer up, I was accepted to the class of 2010, all i have to do is show up for 29 days in june, and get a head start on med classes, they even provide dorms. Hey I will get in any way I can you know...

Curious...

Does NYCOM not have enough qualified applicants that they need to dip into the almost qualified applicant pool and send them to the MedPrep program?

No insults whatsoever to NYCOM... It's my first choice school, the only school that I want to attend, and I'm not overly qualified in the least.

I was accepted by other schools (without any conditions) and only NYCOM offered me a conditional acceptance (Med Prep program). This is an obvious indication that their standards are set pretty high. I chose NYCOM b/c this is where I want to train and I'm willing to sacrifice my time to be there. My credentials are rather good except for a not so great MCAT score unrelated to the science sections of the exam.
Your post may not be offensive to NYCOM but it may be to students enrolled in the program. Before you make such an uncouth comment, you should do some research about the program's academic objectives and the caliber of the students that are accepted. After you do this, you should have an educated answer to your question.

Best of luck with your studies.

I wish I could understand based on what you qualify for MedPrep program.

their website says:

http://iris.nyit.edu/nycom/Admissions_Equity_Opportunity.htm

The Requirements for Admission into the MEDPREP program are:

• A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university is required
• At the time the application is filed, applicants should posses a pre-professional science grade point average of at least 2.75 to 3.00 on a scale of 4.0, and an overall MCAT score of 18-20.
• Applicants must have completed an acceptable academic year sequence with no grade below 2.5 on a 4.0 point scale and an overall MCAT score of 18-20.
• Applicants must have completed an acceptable academic year sequence (generally 8 semester hours) with no grade below 2.5 on a 4.0 scale in each of the following subjects:

English (6 semester hrs)
Biology w/lab (8 credits)
General Chemistry w/lab (8 credits)
Organic Chemistry w/lab (8 credits)

eventhough I meet all that, I am on the hopeless waitlist!
is it true that they have hundreds of people on the waitlist and the odd of getting off are not good?

I wish I could understand based on what you qualify for MedPrep program.

their website says:

http://iris.nyit.edu/nycom/Admissions_Equity_Opportunity.htm

The Requirements for Admission into the MEDPREP program are:

• A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university is required
• At the time the application is filed, applicants should posses a pre-professional science grade point average of at least 2.75 to 3.00 on a scale of 4.0, and an overall MCAT score of 18-20.
• Applicants must have completed an acceptable academic year sequence with no grade below 2.5 on a 4.0 point scale and an overall MCAT score of 18-20.
• Applicants must have completed an acceptable academic year sequence (generally 8 semester hours) with no grade below 2.5 on a 4.0 scale in each of the following subjects:

English (6 semester hrs)
Biology w/lab (8 credits)
General Chemistry w/lab (8 credits)
Organic Chemistry w/lab (8 credits)

eventhough I meet all that, I am on the hopeless waitlist!
is it true that they have hundreds of people on the waitlist and the odd of getting off are not good?

I don't understand what qualifies certain people and not others. I surpass all the requirements and noticed that my MCAT score is higher than some other students that have been offered a standard admission.
I think the key factor here is, recruitment and retention of under represented minorities in the medical field. It is no secret that this has been an issue for some time and that the government has funded several programs in an attempt to solve it.
Some sources point out that the number of enrolled students in a particular program can lead to some changes as to who gets accepted or rejected. For example, a very close friend of mine of Asian descent got a 31 on her MCAT and got fewer interviews than other applicants that got below a 28.
After some inquiries she found out that the schools she was applying to have a high number of Asian students currently enrolled in the program. Compared to those students, her file was just NOT as competitive. As you can see, there is a lot more to the admission process than we know.
I think the timing of your application also influences the final outcome. The later you apply, the less likely you'll be accepted or more likely you'll be on the waitlist.
So many variables!! It makes me dizzy! Trust me, it took me a long time and lots of work to get here. Don't feel like you can't do it if it takes a bit more time than you expected.

Don't give up! Keep on top of it, let them know you want to be there.

Wish you the best of luck!!

I don't understand what qualifies certain people and not others. I surpass all the requirements and noticed that my MCAT score is higher than some other students that have been offered a standard admission.
I think the key factor here is, recruitment and retention of under represented minorities in the medical field. It is no secret that this has been an issue for some time and that the government has funded several programs in an attempt to solve it.
Some sources point out that the number of enrolled students in a particular program can lead to some changes as to who gets accepted or rejected. For example, a very close friend of mine of Asian descent got a 31 on her MCAT and got fewer interviews than other applicants that got below a 28.
After some inquiries she found out that the schools she was applying to have a high number of Asian students currently enrolled in the program. Compared to those students, her file was just NOT as competitive. As you can see, there is a lot more to the admission process than we know.
I think the timing of your application also influences the final outcome. The later you apply, the less likely you'll be accepted or more likely you'll be on the waitlist.
So many variables!! It makes me dizzy! Trust me, it took me a long time and lots of work to get here. Don't feel like you can't do it if it takes a bit more time than you expected.

Don't give up! Keep on top of it, let them know you want to be there.

Wish you the best of luck!!
the MEDPREP program is a limited program and it filled up fast so we missed it.

I had to listen to everyone saying APPLY EARLY!!!!!!!!!!!

that is it...

the MEDPREP program is a limited program and it filled up fast so we missed it.

I had to listen to everyone saying APPLY EARLY!!!!!!!!!!!

that is it...

I did not mean to sound like a broken record to you. I know this is a difficult time for all of us, but I detect a hint of rudeness in your reply. Was simply trying to answer your question.

I did not mean to come off as a broken record to you. I know this is a difficult time for all of us, but I detect a hint of rudeness in your reply. Was simply trying to answer your question.
I am very sorry by no means I meant to be rude.. and I wasnt really reffering to you. I got off the phone with a NYCOM faculty and posted the results.

Medical Schools are all like any other issue in life first comes first served.

people in MEDPREP are lower 20s in MCAT and if you really want to think about it the only reason they will get a spot this year at school is b/c they applied early.

again I am frustrated a little bit and not sure what I am writing but I dont mean to be rude to anyone!...

GLuck too all!

I am very sorry by no means I meant to be rude.. and I wasnt really reffering to you. I got off the phone with a NYCOM faculty and posted the results.

Medical Schools are all like any other issue in life first comes first served.

people in MEDPREP are lower 20s in MCAT and if you really want to think about it the only reason they will get a spot this year at school is b/c they applied early.

again I am frustrated a little bit and not sure what I am writing but I dont mean to be rude to anyone!...

GLuck too all!

Understood - thanks for the clarification.