Nycom Yes!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EReze

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finally. I was accepted to NYCOM for the class of 2009. I am sooooo HAPPY! For all you guys out there whose MCAT scores may not have been the greatest, but you have good grades and extracurricular activities under your belt, don't give up hope. Good Luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Congratulations. Good luck at NYCOM. Very strong school.

Congratulations! When did you interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! I'm glad to hear you made it through despite the MCAT. Good luck to you, I wish you the best!

Welcome to NYCOM.
See you on 08/23/2005, Tuesday.
Good luck.

mazel tov and sima tov and mazel tov and....

sorry, i just saw modern orthodox, so i'm in my jewish mood. NYCOM is a great school, awesome campus, and they're so nice. It's up there for my rankings for when I apply in June, so send me some of your luck!

ereze, since you mentioned MCAT.. Would you tell us your stats, gpa, mcat, EC's, research etc.?

I was also just accepted to NYCOM.

It was my first choice school. I am about to cancel all other interviews.

My MCAT was a 23... 7, 8, 8, respectively.
Science GPA: 4.0
Non-science: 3.98

That low MCAT should give anyone hope!

Cheers.

I interviewed on Dec. 8. It took like 3 months!!! And I recieved a thin envelope, so I was really scared to open it, but it all worked out.

My stats: Graduated May 2003
GPA: 3.6 (non-science)
3.4 (science)
MCAT: decline to answer (lol.) but after 3 attempts I realized that the test is some kind of written torture device sent to mentally break us down. :scared:

Extra curriculars: President/ Vice President of 2 organizations, work experience (during all 4 years of college), volunteer, peer tutor, worked for a state senator for a year, currently a chemist at a large cosmetics company, etc.

Congrats guys, for sure I'll see you in the fall... if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Michele

misyel said:
Congrats guys, for sure I'll see you in the fall... if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Michele

Is NYCOM still interviewing? If so, is it for the waitlist? :(

When I interviewed in 2001, my intervuew was on April 9th, and i got accepted few weeks later. You gotta understand that the class is huge - 300+ people. Don't lose hope.

anars28 said:
Is NYCOM still interviewing? If so, is it for the waitlist? :(

They're still interviewing for spots. I believe there's interviews scheduled until April, maybe May if necessary.

Michele

misyel said:
They're still interviewing for spots. I believe there's interviews scheduled until April, maybe May if necessary.

Michele

Hi, Michele. Do you know about the waitlist for NYCOM? Roughly how many people are waitlisted and what is the usual acceptance rate from the waitlist? Also, are there advisors with whom waitlisted students can communicate to find out more specifics? Thanks. -Ali

alibubble said:
Hi, Michele. Do you know about the waitlist for NYCOM? Roughly how many people are waitlisted and what is the usual acceptance rate from the waitlist? Also, are there advisors with whom waitlisted students can communicate to find out more specifics? Thanks. -Ali

Sorry, I don't know much about it. All I know about the waitlist is that they take people from it all the way out to the week before school starts. One thing's for sure, your being waitlisted does not predict how well you will do in medical school. So far, the ones I know who were initially waitlisted are the ones doing extremely well in school.

My advice is that you can try to email the dean of admissions to see how you can make your application stronger, write a letter of intent if NYCOM is your first choice, and update the admissions department regarding your application maybe once a month or so, just so they know you are very interested.

misyel said:
Sorry, I don't know much about it. All I know about the waitlist is that they take people from it all the way out to the week before school starts. One thing's for sure, your being waitlisted does not predict how well you will do in medical school. So far, the ones I know who were initially waitlisted are the ones doing extremely well in school.

My advice is that you can try to email the dean of admissions to see how you can make your application stronger, write a letter of intent if NYCOM is your first choice, and update the admissions department regarding your application maybe once a month or so, just so they know you are very interested.

Thanks for the info! Maybe the reason students who were initially waitlisted do so well once they've been accepted is because they are so happy/relieved about getting into the school :D It's a wakeup call and a second chance wrapped up in one greatly anticipated acceptance letter. If I get that chance, I'll be working extra hard, too. -Ali

yea i got my letter from nycom yesterday!!! amazing!!!!

so who else is going to nycom and is anyone here from ny???

trackxxx said:
yea i got my letter from nycom yesterday!!! amazing!!!!

so who else is going to nycom and is anyone here from ny???

Hey there. My best friend and I are attending NYCOM in the fall... we're both from Staten Island.

IM me at JxV23 if you'd like to chat.