NYCPM or TUSPM????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yanks242

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no clue which school I want to go to..please help!!!

I've interviewed at both and think they are both great. I loved NYC's busy clinic but Temple students/DPMs/Dean seemed outgoingly friendly and seem to have the most up-to-date technology.

What do you guys think and what would you do?!?!?

Members don't see this ad.

I have no clue which school I want to go to..please help!!!

I've interviewed at both and think they are both great. I loved NYC's busy clinic but Temple students/DPMs/Dean seemed outgoingly friendly and seem to have the most up-to-date technology.

What do you guys think and what would you do?!?!?

Temple's clinic is also very busy.

I would go to whatever school you felt the most comfortable at, and which ever school you feel you will be the most successful. If you see yourself at Temple go there and if it is at NYCPM then make that your choice. What ever school you go to it will take hard work to become a Podiatrist..sooo I would go to whatever school you liked and enjoyed the best.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say Temple....I've talked to 3 or 4 different podiatrists asking them where they thought I would get better residency placement...they chose temple over nycpm everytime....granted this is a very small sample of the population...but I would base my decision on proper research of where you feel most comfortable and then perhaps email or talk to some residency directors or some podiatrists/residents and see what they say...they have more experience than we do as pre-pods or even pod students regarding interaction with students from other pod schools and seeing trends as to where they saw the best quality of education...

...in the end every pod school will teach you what you want (need?) to know...

however...based on my experience ...it's all about residency!!!

--that being said...I'm a pretty low quality undergrad student (GPA wise) compared to the rest of these folk...so take what I said with a grain of salt just as you would with anything else on this forum! GOOD luck

:thumbup:

I vote temple as well. Visited both places twice and talked to some graduates.

I went to NYCPM and complained about stuff for the entire 4 years. After graduating, if I had to do it again I would pick NYCPM all over again. Once you meet people from all the other schools you will realize that all the schools have problems.

Go to the school that you think has problems that will bother you the least. Go to the school where you will be able to study best. Once in podiatry school it is not the school that will teach you, it is you that will push yourself and teach youself. It will be up to you to make sure you get the education that you need. The schools just have minimum competencies to fullfill. You will need to be at the top to get a good residency.

Of course I'm biased so I say...

TEMPLE BABY!!!!

For me, I knew my decision right away. But both schools have pros and cons.

If one doesn't make you feel warm and fuzzy inside over the other, then write out your pros and cons. I used academics, rotations, and money when I was going over my choices, even though I knew I would be an owl.

:luck: in your decision. Both schools will train you well.

Both schools are great IMO, however I would pick Temple because of the location. However if you love NY then NYCPM is for you

But understand ...visiting NY and LIVING there are two very different things
!:thumbup:

My advice to you is to go to NYCPM. Academics are the same no matter what school you go to and there will always be things to complain about everywhere. The clinic at NYCPM is very busy and will give you all the hands-on clinical experience you will ever need. There is no better medical community to be a part of than that of a major city like New York City. You will truly get the best, well-rounded medical education of any podiatric medical student.

I too may be biased given that I am a fourth year student at NYCPM but my friends and I have also externed with students from all schools and have done extremely well in getting the residency programs that we wanted when competing against students from those schools.

Ok, friends -

This is NOT intended to start a war between Temple and NYCPM, (although if a war between the two schools were to commence, I think we at TUSPM would waste the NYCPM'ers. I don't put any money on schools with no vowels in their abbreviations. No, Y doesn't count).

Anyway -

When I interviewed at NYCPM, I got the course listings for the four years. The first year at NYCPM seemed like my senior year in undergrad. Don't quote me, but I think that NYCPM makes you take molecular genetics?! I took MG as a junior. I know that it's graduate level work, but the first year/first semester courses seemed very repetitive.

The courses at TUSPM were very different from what I had been exposed to previously.

What do you guys think the difference stems from?

I don't know where the differences are. I do know that I took physiology, biochemistry, and microbiology/immunology while in undergrad and for some reason they appear in your school's curriculum in the first two years. I think maybe because while in undergrad these courses are general overviews while in medical school they may be discussed in much greater depth. Anyone have any ideas why pre-med classes would closely resemble those taught in med school?

I would assume they require such courses because they are not requirements for admission. While most studens take multiple science courses in their undergrad there are some who have simply taken the minimum requirements. Especially if they were not a science major. :)

that is so true.......miller 4362.......
I took all those sciences in undergrad.....when i got to grad school and had to take anatomy again and physio again.....it was much more intense. Since my grad work is at a medical school.....but i wasn't a medical student at the time, it was harder than undergrad (much harder) but not as intense still yet as regular med school....there is a big difference in the depth of all the sciences in med school.....vs undergrad. Even if you took them in undergrad, it is a different beast in med school.

Temple vs NYCPM......the choice is easy.......go to Chicago!!!!! Great school, and great city.

Temple vs NYCPM......the choice is easy.......go to Chicago!!!!! Great school, and great city.

Chicago is cool...north chicago 40 miles away, not so much. The school is good though.

I don't know where the new campus is located, but when I went to the school (when the dinosaurs were still roaming the earth), the school was located in the best part of Chicago.

Chicago really is a great city and wherever the location, the school has always had an excellent reputation, with a slightly more "laid back" attitude than Philly or NYC (and remember I'm from the East Coast).

I don't know where the new campus is located, but when I went to the school (when the dinosaurs were still roaming the earth), the school was located in the best part of Chicago.

Chicago really is a great city and wherever the location, the school has always had an excellent reputation, with a slightly more "laid back" attitude than Philly or NYC (and remember I'm from the East Coast).

Right, I understand the school used to be downtown. I believe it moved up north in 2001/2002. It's 40 miles above chicago, right near the wisconsin border. Located on the Great Lakes Naval Training Facility. Huge difference from chi-town (which would have been amazing though)

I'm another biased vote, butttt I figured I'd put my two cents in anyway :D TUSPM all the way! Philly's amazing, besides the school being great. Nothing against NYCPM - like I said, I'm biased since I'll be at TUSPM in the fall.

Good luck with your choice though! :thumbup:

What is the point of having such a busy clinic at NYCPM if your scope of practice is one of the worst in the country? You may see a lot of things but there is nothing you can do about it.