Deathbenotproud

5+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2014
  1. Pre-Medical
    ARCOM:
    43K tuition

Northwest Arkansas

Mandatory Attendance

Recorded lectures-but from my understanding not posted for 2 days post?

State support-is it really much different at NYIT?

Academies: During orientation week, students are assigned to one of ten Academies. Students will remain in the same Academy throughout their four years at ARCOM. A new group of up to 16 students from each new class will join the group each year, providing an opportunity for first-year students to gain valuable insight from second, third, and forth-year students as well as from faculty and staff. Throughout the academic year, each Academy will have planned activities ranging from community service projects and events to seminars on proper nutrition, time management, and study skills.

Better anatomy lab

Better standardized patient clinic

Model room

Research lab on site

Helical curriculum

Note sharing service

required month-long rotation in an underserved practice setting (+ in my mind)

Rotational sites:
    Baptist Health – Conway, Little Rock & North Little Rock

Choctaw Nation

Cooper Clinic

Mercy Hospital

Sparks Hospital – Fort Smith & Van Buren

Valley Behavioral Health

Unity Health

White River Health System

Arkansas Heart Hospital

Dress code

Can wait until December to make deposit

Close to UA-fort smith, connections there as well

24 hr access to building

Future expansions with different health colleges/research building

NYIT Jonesboro:
    Competing with ARCOM & UAMS for clinical rotations

10% scholarship that will bring tuition down to around 52K

Northeast Arkansas

Recorded lectures-class not mandatory

Old Westbury board/match results

Telemedicine

Better sim lab

Research connections w/Arkansas state

Lecture Discussion Based Curriculum

Certificates

Health Policy Fellowship program

November deposit

On Arkansas state University campus-can use facilities

possibly 24 hr access as well?

So overall leaning towards ARCOM but enjoyed both up front. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

RelaxDr

Oct 19, 2017
    1. Medical Student
      I think ARCOM is cheaper which is better for your debt and has more state supports which will be good for clinical rotations

I got accepted to NYITCOM Ark and did not apply for ARCOM (no DO letter). I think clinical rotations will be important in the long run. I heard from some students NYTICOM that some clinical rotations for FM and IM has been established. I have no idea about the locations. Hopefully someone will be able to add in to this.

Reactions: 1 user

Goro

10+ Year Member
      Verified Expert
      Silver Member
      Gold Member
      Jun 11, 2010
      Somewhere west of St. Louis
      1. Non-Student
        IF you can stomach the mandatory lectures, I suggest ARCOM > NYITCOM-AR.

Is ARCOM actually a state school, like MSUCO or OKCOM? If so, they will be much better off for finances and a branch campus, which has to argue with its parent body for finances.

ARCOM:
        43K tuition

Northwest Arkansas

Mandatory Attendance

Recorded lectures-but from my understanding not posted for 2 days post?

State support-is it really much different at NYIT?

Academies: During orientation week, students are assigned to one of ten Academies. Students will remain in the same Academy throughout their four years at ARCOM. A new group of up to 16 students from each new class will join the group each year, providing an opportunity for first-year students to gain valuable insight from second, third, and forth-year students as well as from faculty and staff. Throughout the academic year, each Academy will have planned activities ranging from community service projects and events to seminars on proper nutrition, time management, and study skills.

Better anatomy lab

Better standardized patient clinic

Model room

Research lab on site

Helical curriculum

Note sharing service

required month-long rotation in an underserved practice setting (+ in my mind)

Rotational sites:
        Baptist Health – Conway, Little Rock & North Little Rock

Choctaw Nation

Cooper Clinic

Mercy Hospital

Sparks Hospital – Fort Smith & Van Buren

Valley Behavioral Health

Unity Health

White River Health System

Arkansas Heart Hospital

Dress code

Can wait until December to make deposit

Close to UA-fort smith, connections there as well

24 hr access to building

Future expansions with different health colleges/research building

NYIT Jonesboro:
        Competing with ARCOM & UAMS for clinical rotations

10% scholarship that will bring tuition down to around 52K

Northeast Arkansas

Recorded lectures-class not mandatory

Old Westbury board/match results

Telemedicine

Better sim lab

Research connections w/Arkansas state

Lecture Discussion Based Curriculum

Certificates

Health Policy Fellowship program

November deposit

On Arkansas state University campus-can use facilities

possibly 24 hr access as well?

So overall leaning towards ARCOM but enjoyed both up front. Any thoughts?

About the Ads

bears1992

2+ Year Member
        Jan 5, 2017
        1. Medical Student
          IF you can stomach the mandatory lectures, I suggest ARCOM > NYITCOM-AR.

Is ARCOM actually a state school, like MSUCO or OKCOM? If so, they will be much better off for finances and a branch campus, which has to argue with its parent body for finances.
          At my interview, they said they were privately funded by a non-profit health organization.

Goro

10+ Year Member
          Verified Expert
          Silver Member
          Gold Member
          Jun 11, 2010
          Somewhere west of St. Louis
          1. Non-Student
            At my interview, they said they were privately funded by a non-profit health organization.
            An HMO? If so, this will be yet one more example of a hospital with a med school attached, rather than the classical model that was the other way around!

bears1992

2+ Year Member
            Jan 5, 2017
            1. Medical Student
              An HMO? If so, this will be yet one more example of a hospital with a med school attached, rather than the classical model that was the other way around!
              They said the organization sold a local hospital and then used the money that they received from the sale to start ARCOM. They were pretty blatant and up front about only accepting students who they thought would stay in Arkansas so it sounded like the organizations goal is just to simply improve the healthcare for Arkansas. The admissions dean even went as far as showing us the criteria for admissions. He said after you receive an interview invite, the only criteria that applicants are graded on are likelihood to stay in Arkansas and likelihood to serve the undeserved.

PushupsForAll

2+ Year Member
              Oct 21, 2017
              1. Medical Student
                Hilarious, I am literally in the EXACT SAME position as you. I have no idea which one im going to pick....love both programs. seems to me like both schools want their students to stay in arkansas for obvious reasons. balance is kinda stagnant as both schools have their pros and cons and either are really a coin flip. both at the end of the day im sure will make us great doctors.

Reactions: 1 users

mafiacat8

5+ Year Member
                Jun 27, 2016
                  Does anyone know if nyitcom-jonesboro is ranked against students in new york? Technically if you are taking the same class and take the same test...you would be matching up and competing with the new york student. or maybe not. thoughts ?

Yes its all technically the "same" class. You are ranked to NY students as well.

Harryboy44

2+ Year Member
                  Apr 26, 2016
                  1. Pre-Medical
                    Speaking of the two Arkansas schools wanting their med students to stay in the state of Arkansas, does anyone know of a program along the lines of the "rural practice agreement." I know that UAMS has the opportunity that if you agree to practicing in a rural area, then the hospital in which you work at will help pay off your student loans. I was just wondering if ARCOM or NYITCOM has an opportunity like this.

Magus5454

MS3 C/O 2022
                    5+ Year Member
                    Feb 23, 2015
                    Arkansas
                    1. Medical Student
                      Speaking of the two Arkansas schools wanting their med students to stay in the state of Arkansas, does anyone know of a program along the lines of the "rural practice agreement." I know that UAMS has the opportunity that if you agree to practicing in a rural area, then the hospital in which you work at will help pay off your student loans. I was just wondering if ARCOM or NYITCOM has an opportunity like this.
                      Not to my knowledge. The one mentioned below is for any AR med student though.

Dr4w0n

Nov 10, 2018
                        Hilarious, I am literally in the EXACT SAME position as you. I have no idea which one im going to pick....love both programs. seems to me like both schools want their students to stay in arkansas for obvious reasons. balance is kinda stagnant as both schools have their pros and cons and either are really a coin flip. both at the end of the day im sure will make us great doctors.

Hey, I am late to the party here, but which school did you end up choosing and why? I am in the same predicament!

This thread is more than 2 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                        7. This thread is locked.