NYIT Jonesboro vs. ARCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deathbenotproud

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
ARCOM:
43K tuition

Northwest Arkansas

Mandatory Attendance

Recorded lectures-but from my understanding not posted for 2 days post?

State support-is it really much different at NYIT?

Academies: During orientation week, students are assigned to one of ten Academies. Students will remain in the same Academy throughout their four years at ARCOM. A new group of up to 16 students from each new class will join the group each year, providing an opportunity for first-year students to gain valuable insight from second, third, and forth-year students as well as from faculty and staff. Throughout the academic year, each Academy will have planned activities ranging from community service projects and events to seminars on proper nutrition, time management, and study skills.

Better anatomy lab

Better standardized patient clinic

Model room

Research lab on site

Helical curriculum

Note sharing service

required month-long rotation in an underserved practice setting (+ in my mind)

Rotational sites:
Baptist Health – Conway, Little Rock & North Little Rock

Choctaw Nation

Cooper Clinic

Mercy Hospital

Sparks Hospital – Fort Smith & Van Buren

Valley Behavioral Health

Unity Health

White River Health System

Arkansas Heart Hospital

Dress code

Can wait until December to make deposit

Close to UA-fort smith, connections there as well

24 hr access to building

Future expansions with different health colleges/research building

NYIT Jonesboro:
Competing with ARCOM & UAMS for clinical rotations

10% scholarship that will bring tuition down to around 52K

Northeast Arkansas

Recorded lectures-class not mandatory

Old Westbury board/match results

Telemedicine

Better sim lab

Research connections w/Arkansas state

Lecture Discussion Based Curriculum

Certificates

Health Policy Fellowship program

November deposit

On Arkansas state University campus-can use facilities

possibly 24 hr access as well?

So overall leaning towards ARCOM but enjoyed both up front. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From what I understand, ARCOM has the better rotation sites in Arkansas. That's all I can contribute, sorry.

Reactions: 1 users
I think ARCOM is cheaper which is better for your debt and has more state supports which will be good for clinical rotations

I got accepted to NYITCOM Ark and did not apply for ARCOM (no DO letter). I think clinical rotations will be important in the long run. I heard from some students NYTICOM that some clinical rotations for FM and IM has been established. I have no idea about the locations. Hopefully someone will be able to add in to this.

Reactions: 1 user
IF you can stomach the mandatory lectures, I suggest ARCOM > NYITCOM-AR.

Is ARCOM actually a state school, like MSUCO or OKCOM? If so, they will be much better off for finances and a branch campus, which has to argue with its parent body for finances.

ARCOM:
43K tuition

Northwest Arkansas

Mandatory Attendance

Recorded lectures-but from my understanding not posted for 2 days post?

State support-is it really much different at NYIT?

Academies: During orientation week, students are assigned to one of ten Academies. Students will remain in the same Academy throughout their four years at ARCOM. A new group of up to 16 students from each new class will join the group each year, providing an opportunity for first-year students to gain valuable insight from second, third, and forth-year students as well as from faculty and staff. Throughout the academic year, each Academy will have planned activities ranging from community service projects and events to seminars on proper nutrition, time management, and study skills.

Better anatomy lab

Better standardized patient clinic

Model room

Research lab on site

Helical curriculum

Note sharing service

required month-long rotation in an underserved practice setting (+ in my mind)

Rotational sites:
Baptist Health – Conway, Little Rock & North Little Rock

Choctaw Nation

Cooper Clinic

Mercy Hospital

Sparks Hospital – Fort Smith & Van Buren

Valley Behavioral Health

Unity Health

White River Health System

Arkansas Heart Hospital

Dress code

Can wait until December to make deposit

Close to UA-fort smith, connections there as well

24 hr access to building

Future expansions with different health colleges/research building

NYIT Jonesboro:
Competing with ARCOM & UAMS for clinical rotations

10% scholarship that will bring tuition down to around 52K

Northeast Arkansas

Recorded lectures-class not mandatory

Old Westbury board/match results

Telemedicine

Better sim lab

Research connections w/Arkansas state

Lecture Discussion Based Curriculum

Certificates

Health Policy Fellowship program

November deposit

On Arkansas state University campus-can use facilities

possibly 24 hr access as well?

So overall leaning towards ARCOM but enjoyed both up front. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
IF you can stomach the mandatory lectures, I suggest ARCOM > NYITCOM-AR.

Is ARCOM actually a state school, like MSUCO or OKCOM? If so, they will be much better off for finances and a branch campus, which has to argue with its parent body for finances.
At my interview, they said they were privately funded by a non-profit health organization.

An HMO? If so, this will be yet one more example of a hospital with a med school attached, rather than the classical model that was the other way around!
They said the organization sold a local hospital and then used the money that they received from the sale to start ARCOM. They were pretty blatant and up front about only accepting students who they thought would stay in Arkansas so it sounded like the organizations goal is just to simply improve the healthcare for Arkansas. The admissions dean even went as far as showing us the criteria for admissions. He said after you receive an interview invite, the only criteria that applicants are graded on are likelihood to stay in Arkansas and likelihood to serve the undeserved.

Hilarious, I am literally in the EXACT SAME position as you. I have no idea which one im going to pick....love both programs. seems to me like both schools want their students to stay in arkansas for obvious reasons. balance is kinda stagnant as both schools have their pros and cons and either are really a coin flip. both at the end of the day im sure will make us great doctors.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know if nyitcom-jonesboro is ranked against students in new york? Technically if you are taking the same class and take the same test...you would be matching up and competing with the new york student. or maybe not. thoughts ?

Does anyone know if nyitcom-jonesboro is ranked against students in new york? Technically if you are taking the same class and take the same test...you would be matching up and competing with the new york student. or maybe not. thoughts ?

Yes its all technically the "same" class. You are ranked to NY students as well.

Speaking of the two Arkansas schools wanting their med students to stay in the state of Arkansas, does anyone know of a program along the lines of the "rural practice agreement." I know that UAMS has the opportunity that if you agree to practicing in a rural area, then the hospital in which you work at will help pay off your student loans. I was just wondering if ARCOM or NYITCOM has an opportunity like this.

Speaking of the two Arkansas schools wanting their med students to stay in the state of Arkansas, does anyone know of a program along the lines of the "rural practice agreement." I know that UAMS has the opportunity that if you agree to practicing in a rural area, then the hospital in which you work at will help pay off your student loans. I was just wondering if ARCOM or NYITCOM has an opportunity like this.
Not to my knowledge. The one mentioned below is for any AR med student though.

Hilarious, I am literally in the EXACT SAME position as you. I have no idea which one im going to pick....love both programs. seems to me like both schools want their students to stay in arkansas for obvious reasons. balance is kinda stagnant as both schools have their pros and cons and either are really a coin flip. both at the end of the day im sure will make us great doctors.

Hey, I am late to the party here, but which school did you end up choosing and why? I am in the same predicament!