NYMC Accelerated M.S. Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also unfurnished. I'm planning on hitting up Salvo/Good Will. I'll also probably be sleeping on an air mattress until I can get a real bed.

There's a Home Depot <2 miles from campus...maybe I can make a cheap desk out of plywood and a couple of sawhorses... :p

There's also a goodwill down the street in addition to the Home Depot.

Members don't see this ad.

i think there is an IKEA about 20 miles away...longer drive but IKEA is the place for cheap furniture that is broken down and able to fit into a car

How do we get our NYMC email running?

Members don't see this ad :)
the closest Ikea I saw on their website was in brooklyn i think and for some reason they charge $109 for delivery.

there is an IKEA in NJ that is a little closer on the miles but is like 20 mins less of driving...probably dont charge as much for delivery either being out of the city

yeah, the one in paramus NJ is a lot closer to here. I don't know how much they charge for delivery or anything, but I'm sure they would deliver to Valhalla. There's another one in New Haven CT, but that's def. farther away.

yeah, the one in Elizabeth, NJ is a lot closer to here. I don't know how much they charge for delivery or anything, but I'm sure they would deliver to Valhalla. There's another one in New Haven CT, but that's def. farther away.

EDITED: It's in Elizabeth, not paramus......I was thinking of someone else when I wrote that.

I got my stuff from Ikea in Paramus, NJ. They charged a flat fee of $100 for shipping.

I got my stuff from Ikea in Paramus, NJ. They charged a flat fee of $100 for shipping.

ok, so I have decided I know nothing about New Jersey, so don't listen to me about anything to do with it....lol.

Hi, I know I'm really late...But is there anyone else still looking for a roommate? Please pm me. :)

Bump...anyone out there thinking of applying to this program for '09-'10?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey,
I am thinking of applying to this. I have a ton of questions though.
How strict is the GPA requirement? I had a terrible 2nd year due to a medical problem and unfortunately, that still affects my overall gpa despite an upward trend in the last years.
I am also an international applicant- given the small size of this program, I presume there are no international students? Should I even bother applying? We don't have any programs like this in Canada, and it's a shame that for someone who is so passionate about medicine, there are so few options if you mess up somewhere along the way.

Any insight would be great.
Thanks!

Hey,
I am thinking of applying to this. I have a ton of questions though.
How strict is the GPA requirement? I had a terrible 2nd year due to a medical problem and unfortunately, that still affects my overall gpa despite an upward trend in the last years.
I am also an international applicant- given the small size of this program, I presume there are no international students? Should I even bother applying? We don't have any programs like this in Canada, and it's a shame that for someone who is so passionate about medicine, there are so few options if you mess up somewhere along the way.

Any insight would be great.
Thanks!

Hello fasha,

I'm in the program now, and I can tell you that is an AMAZING program so far. This is the first year that it was moved up to 20 people. I'm not sure about the GPA requirements or the international application thing. But of the 20 of us here, we are all from very different backgrounds, so it may be a possibility. To make sure, just email one of the program directors. Dr. Norman Levine is one of them. You can find his email on the website at NYMC.edu

Good luck, and feel free to post if you have more questions.

I've been keeping a blog about NYMC all year, so people interested in the program can get a peek at our glamorous lifestyle:

http://backdoortomedschool.blogspot.com/

Alternatively, if you're already in the program you can mock my nerdy blog.

I've been keeping a blog about NYMC all year, so people interested in the program can get a peek at our glamorous lifestyle:

http://backdoortomedschool.blogspot.com/

Alternatively, if you're already in the program you can mock my nerdy blog.

Nice Blog runamok!
Looks like you won't be studying all the time in that program =]
How's the volunteering going?

P.S: Belated Congrats on getting into medical school and hopefully u get into NYMC too.

I had question about applying to NYMC while in the program. Are most students in the program encouraged to apply to NYMC while in the program so they can avoid the gap year? (I think you mentioned something about not applying until after march)

Thanks~

The first AMP student (now an MS1) told us not to apply while in the program and to focus on getting good grades, but almost everyone in the program is applying to med school this application cycle.

I'm pretty sure all of the AMP applicants have NYMC as one of our schools. As long as you're not doing poorly in the program you're supposed to get a NYMC med school interview.

The med school won't interview AMP students until March, which at first sounds whack, but we've been told by the program directors that this won't put us at any disadvantage.

Going to be applying to this program after I take the MCAT on the 30th of this month! I take it you guys/girls have all gotten on-campus housing? How's that working out? How's the program so far? Any suggestions for applicants this year??

Thanks.

Going to be applying to this program after I take the MCAT on the 30th of this month! I take it you guys/girls have all gotten on-campus housing? How's that working out? How's the program so far? Any suggestions for applicants this year??

Thanks.

Hey wannabesrgn:

Sorry none of us have gotten back to you right away. We're stuffed away in the library and mods getting ready for our latest round of tests: Physio and Biochem.

Let me start off by saying good luck on your mcat this month. I took it at the same time last year and it worked out well for the program. One bit of advice, try as hard as you can to relax the week before the exam.

The AMP program has been an absolutely awesome time so far. We've really kinda gelled as a class and yet we're still pretty well integrated with the medical school class. Most of us live on campus, there's a few exceptions, including myself that live off-campus for one particular reason or another. Even if they tell you that getting on-campus housing is tough, it really isn't that bad. You would probably get it without too much trouble.

The classes have been pretty challenging and yet also rewarding. You are pretty much an M1, in terms of workload (outside of anatomy). I think we are begging to realize the level of work now that we are in the second block where we take both Physio and Biochem at the same time. First block was mostly Histology and Biostats. Histology is a great class and Dr. Lerea, is a great course director. He is also the AMP Program Director. This is great cause he gets to know the AMP class really well right away and can write great letters to support your applications.

As far as your application to NYMC AMP, just treat it as a med school application without too much of the stress. They want to get to know you and go from there. Do well on the MCAT and write a good personal statement. Everything else is kinda outta your control by now probably.

Sorry, I dont' have time write much more right now. I will post a full review on the "Rate your SMP" once I'm done with my latest block of tests. I'll let u know when I do so.

In the mean time, feel free to post any questions and we'll all try to get back to you ASAP.

Good Luck!

I LOVE this program! The professors are great, the other students are great (except for runamok... j/k!) and... it's just great? I've heard complaints from the 2-year master's students, but I think the 20 of us in the 1-year AMP are very happy. Me and (3?) other students life off-campus. Everyone who wanted housing got housing, except for this one guy (it's not that they didn't have the housing, but he was nervous about waiting for them to get back to him so he signed a lease and lo and behold, the next day housing got back to him - go figure).

For the international student: go and email Dr. Lerea or Dr. Levine to see about the program requirements. I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any questions. (They are very nice).

Now that we're halfway through the academic year, I feel very confident and optimistic about medical school, and because it's a small, close-knit bunch of people (who come from all over the place), it comes with its own support group. I highly recommend NYMC AMP (just be sure to come ready to study, Study, STUDY!).

I'm supposed to be studying for the upcoming physio/biochem one-two punch combo right now, but feel free to ask questions! Another one of our classmates in the AMP will be writing a review about this program shortly, and we're all making a survival guide together later in the year for the next entering class so things you wanna know about this place, concerns, etc. are welcome.

I LOVE this program! The professors are great, the other students are great (except for runamok... j/k!) and... it's just great? I've heard complaints from the 2-year master's students, but I think the 20 of us in the 1-year AMP are very happy. Me and (3?) other students life off-campus. Everyone who wanted housing got housing, except for this one guy (it's not that they didn't have the housing, but he was nervous about waiting for them to get back to him so he signed a lease and lo and behold, the next day housing got back to him - go figure).

For the international student: go and email Dr. Lerea or Dr. Levine to see about the program requirements. I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any questions. (They are very nice).

Now that we're halfway through the academic year, I feel very confident and optimistic about medical school, and because it's a small, close-knit bunch of people (who come from all over the place), it comes with its own support group. I highly recommend NYMC AMP (just be sure to come ready to study, Study, STUDY!).

I'm supposed to be studying for the upcoming physio/biochem one-two punch combo right now, but feel free to ask questions! Another one of our classmates in the AMP will be writing a review about this program shortly, and we're all making a survival guide together later in the year for the next entering class so things you wanna know about this place, concerns, etc. are welcome.

ok ekc........now go study. haha!

see you later tonight. I'm headin out now to beat traffic.

So are you applying to medical schools for fall 2009? How have med schools responded to the program? Interviews, acceptances? Also, do you think there is an advantage to go to a program like NYMC's vs other well known ones like gtown and bu...etc?

Thanks!

So are you applying to medical schools for fall 2009? How have med schools responded to the program? Interviews, acceptances? Also, do you think there is an advantage to go to a program like NYMC's vs other well known ones like gtown and bu...etc?

Thanks!

Yeah, almost all of us are applying this year. At least 5 (out of 20) of us have already gotten in at various state schools and private schools. A couple have left the program following these acceptances. However, this decision is going to be based on what the accepting medical school decides about whether you need to complete the AMP or not. A few of have gotten in and have been told they need to complete the masters. Interviews have been coming in steadily for most of us. It really depends on when you go complete at the various schools. Regardless of where you go for you SMP/AMP, med schools are going to be curious and sit on ur apps till your SMP grades start coming in.

The support in this regard has been great. Dr. Lerea (our PD) has written updates to every school each of us has applied to and personalized them. He takes a lot of time to make sure each school understands our performance with respect to the medical school class. He does this after each major grade update (the first one being after our Histology grades were done). Now, he seems to write them after each major block test for Physio and Biochem. U will get a ton of support regardless in this regard. Of course, your applications themselves still need to be your job in getting them out.

I think one of the biggest advantages of this program as compared to other larger programs is the size and integration within the medical school class. We are treated as colleagues, when in reality, our transcripts and class classification would state otherwise. There are a few other personal reasons why I decided to stay in this region.

I will write more on this in my review which I hope to post soon.

Peace.

Cool. Thanks for the info. I have tons of questions, but I'll wait for your review and then continue to barrage you. haha. I'm sure you're very busy. Thanks again for the info.

Yeah, almost all of us are applying this year. At least 5 (out of 20) of us have already gotten in at various state schools and private schools. A couple have left the program following these acceptances. However, this decision is going to be based on what the accepting medical school decides about whether you need to complete the AMP or not. A few of have gotten in and have been told they need to complete the masters. Interviews have been coming in steadily for most of us. It really depends on when you go complete at the various schools. Regardless of where you go for you SMP/AMP, med schools are going to be curious and sit on ur apps till your SMP grades start coming in.

The support in this regard has been great. Dr. Lerea (our PD) has written updates to every school each of us has applied to and personalized them. He takes a lot of time to make sure each school understands our performance with respect to the medical school class. He does this after each major grade update (the first one being after our Histology grades were done). Now, he seems to write them after each major block test for Physio and Biochem. U will get a ton of support regardless in this regard. Of course, your applications themselves still need to be your job in getting them out.

I think one of the biggest advantages of this program as compared to other larger programs is the size and integration within the medical school class. We are treated as colleagues, when in reality, our transcripts and class classification would state otherwise. There are a few other personal reasons why I decided to stay in this region.

I will write more on this in my review which I hope to post soon.

Peace.

hey i find it interesting that it's possible to leave the program after you've gotten accepted somewhere. How about if you end up going to NYMC the following year? Say you get accepted to NYMC in March, could you then quit the program in March and get credit for those classes that you have completed? thanks.

hey i find it interesting that it's possible to leave the program after you've gotten accepted somewhere. How about if you end up going to NYMC the following year? Say you get accepted to NYMC in March, could you then quit the program in March and get credit for those classes that you have completed? thanks.

Hey everyone,

We just got done with our second major test block for our Physio/Biochem section. Sorry I didn't get back to you all of you earlier. So quickly, I def. don't think NYMC is going to let you drop out if given an acceptance for the following NYMC class, haha. In fact, most medical schools seem like they would discourage this practice, based on what we have experienced. However, there are definitely a few of us that are finishing out the program on our will (their accepting med. schools didn't care).

I should state, that as a policy though, I think the NYMC AMP is obviously going to want you to finish through the program.

As promised, I will get on that review as soon as I get some laundry done, pay some bills, and things kinda get back to normal.

Hi All!

So this is my definite first choice program for next year, but I'm concerned about getting in (shocking that a pre-med is neurotic, haha). I spoke with Dr. Levine today and he said that they're currently reviewing the applications and that mine will probably be looked at next week. Trying to ease the anxiety (and failing miserably), but does anyone have any ideas on what to expect and a timeline for this year (now that the program is even more established)?

FYI...this is my first post to SDN. I've lurked for years, resisting the urge to join the crazy, but I finally did it, haha.

Thanks!

ak

does anyone have any ideas on what to expect and a timeline for this year (now that the program is even more established)?

FYI...this is my first post to SDN. I've lurked for years, resisting the urge to join the crazy, but I finally did it, haha.

It's hard to say, acceptances went up to the last minute last year but things might be a little smoother now. Probably the best thing to do is contact Dr. Levine or the new Director of AMP Recruitment & Admissions: [email protected]

Runamok,

Thanks for the info! If I don't hear anything back by the end of next week, I'll shoot her an email. If I do hear back about interviews, etc, then I'll be sure to bombard this thread. Do you know what percentage of applicants receive interviews?

Also, any other for sure applicants to this program? Commiseration is always welcome :).

ak

Received an invitation to interview today, and will be doing so over the phone next Thursday, Feb. 26.

Mine is the Thursday after that on the 5th. Anyone have tips?

Hi folks,

While filling up the application for NYMC I saw that you have to submit a financial certification paper work by submitting your bank account records. Now I don't have $34,000 lying around in my bank account how do I get around this ??
For anyone who is in the program right now, how are you paying for it ? Is it through loan or is there any kind of scholarship or fellowship?

D

Hi folks,

While filling up the application for NYMC I saw that you have to submit a financial certification paper work by submitting your bank account records. Now I don't have $34,000 lying around in my bank account how do I get around this ??
For anyone who is in the program right now, how are you paying for it ? Is it through loan or is there any kind of scholarship or fellowship?

D

I as well am in the program and am avoiding studying...
We never had to submit paper work like that directly to this program. If you are applying for federal Fin Ad then you would have to but that is standard everywhere.
I think most of us our on loans or still have very kind parents paying our way. It isn't cheap but neither is med school. Not a single person to my knowledge in this program is on scholarship (why would they give us money if they rejected us from med school) or a fellowship. Plus there is no time to work. Parents, significant other or loans is the only way

I think that might only apply to international students...?

Mine is the Thursday after that on the 5th. Anyone have tips?

Be relaxed and make sure they know you want to be here and will work your tail off.
You're probably going to be interviewed by Dr. Lerea and Levine, they're both really sweet. They didn't ask any super difficult questions last year, my interviews were more of a pleasant chat :p

Thanks! Sounds like a lot less stressful than med school interviews where they try to be nice, but still make you nervous. I can't decide whether or not I like the phone format, but at least I won't have to pay up the nose for a ticket!

has anyone heard back from there interviews yet? how were the interviews? long/short? did they mention when they would contact you by?

p.s. my first post:D

Hey, just had mine...it went okay? It was pretty long, about 40 minutes, and Dr. Lerea said that they would send out letters in blocks by April 1. The people were really nice and really laid back, but I think I crashed and burned when I had to say I held a med school acceptance. Thing is...I would pick this program over it and I don't know if they look favorably at that.

Regardless, I'm nervous now :(.

Hey, mine was about that long as well, i would say probably closer to 30 than 40, and I believe I rambled on too much at points :oops: . I think I crashed on my last question which was "why do you want to be a doctor?" haha my answer was not the most unique.

I am sure your fine about the med school thing, did they act suprised or like they didn't like it? I would think they would like to see that you would prefer their program over med school , shows that your dedicated to the learning/preparing process and not in a hurry to start.

p.s., why not go to med school?

Haha rambling is my middle name. I rambled a lot...and they didn't really ask me why I wanted to be a doctor or about clinical experience or anything (I think because I had it all written in my PS). Just about my (super) crappy freshman year grades and extracurricular activities on campus. I asked them a lot of questions too.

The reason I want to go this route is because I was accepted (informally still, but pretty sure) into an allopathic program that's designed to generate doctors for its home state. I went to school in the northeast, I love it there and the visits I've had to NYMC have been amazing, so the MD program I got into (while SPECTACULAR) isn't compatible with my long-term goals. NYMC SMP seems like an extraordinary program so I'm super excited...and the students in it seem to love it, which is very very important to me.

Here's to April 1!!! When did you interview?

yeah the extracurricular activities question was the second question I wish I could answer over again, I just said " i've done a lot " haha, I believe I ended up listing a few things, but I have hundreds of hours of EC experience so wish I could have just listed them out. Too late now.

I interviewed on March 3rd. I hope that I don't have to wait all the way until April 1st to hear back, I'll go crazy haha. It was a great experience and opportunity for me, so I hope it works out.

I've been accepted into some other post bac programs, but the only one in my state is for osteopathic medicine w/ guaranteed acceptance as long as I do pretty decent in the program, but I know allopathic is the route for me so looks like out of state for me. Georgetown wait listed me as well as EVMS, but even if I get accepted , I will choose this program. I am with you on this program, the students seem to love the experience even though it's very tough, usually you don't see that.

Have you applied anywhere else or is this the only place?

I haven't applied anywhere else...I was thinking about it until I got the UW acceptance. I figure, if I can't get into my dream SMP, then I'll take the med school route. Another reason why this program is a pretty big deal to me is the fact that I'm in a serious relationship with a first year at NYMC and you know what they say -- do well and the biggest boost you get from an SMP is at the host school. Besides, NYMC matches amazingly well and its students have great board scores. I don't care two cents about what other people say about their reputation...it's a solid program with amazing opportunities and great students who go on to do extremely well in residency. I'm sold!!! Haha.

I've don't quite a bit of research on SMP programs, talked to people etc...NYMC really, REALLY stands out. And I want to say one of the reasons is probably because the faculty is very supportive and really makes an effort to help out and integrate you into the med school class. I really wish we didn't have to wait until April to hear, but Dr. Lerea said they were trying out something new and just sending stuff out every month instead of by person. Did you apply to med schools this round? What's your home state?

hi everyone,
i just recently applied to the program and when i called the graduate school's admissions office they didn't really give me a straight answer as to whether my application was complete with all the materials but simply told me to call back in a week. this is my top choice and i'm getting anxious about my application... so i'm just curious, did you guys call dr.levine or dr.lerea to find out about your application status and to find out about when it would be reviewed? also, how long after you submitted all your application materials did you get the invitation to interview? and did you receive the invitation by email or by phone? thanks!

Hi, I'm apply to the accelerated program at NYMC right now, would it be ok to submit my personal statement for medical schools....i added a paragraph about why going through this program would be beneficial for a career in medicine.....what did everyone else do? did you use the same letters of recs from med schools??

To Vazara: I think last year they were accepting people all the way through June so try no to panic -- you're still early! I called Dr. Levine and asked some questions and while he didn't give me a straight answer as to whether or not they've reviewed it, he did make me feel a lot better about the process. I submitted my stuff in the last week of January, invited to interview mid-February and interviewed on March 5. During the interview, they said they were giving out acceptances in blocks at the beginning of the month, so I should expect to hear April 1. The 2 directors are super nice so I'm sure they'll be happy to help :).

Obieone: I re-wrote my personal statement (didn't really like my AMCAS one), but I think during a conversation I had with Dr. Levine, he said the medical school one with a paragraph about the SMP would work just fine. I think the reasoning was that since the program is intended to get you into medical school, then they are probably interested in why. I used some of the same letters for med school, but since mine was a committee, they were mostly the letters I sent as updates. I had my professors resubmit them on the ApplyYourself website for the SMP program.

Let me know if you guys have any questions...I'm no expert, but would love to help.

Would it be a disadvantage to my application if I put "cannot come into NYMC for an interview." I Live so far away and I would rather have a phone interview but I do not want it to be a disadvantage for me.

Would it be a disadvantage to my application if I put "cannot come into NYMC for an interview." I Live so far away and I would rather have a phone interview but I do not want it to be a disadvantage for me.

No. Levine and Lerea dont care. I would say the majority of the students this year interviewed by phone.