NYMC Accelerated M.S. Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
East Sac! Someone was telling me NYMC is so full of Californians that it's jokingly referred to as UC Valhalla :D

UC valhalla that is funny, Dr Levine told me that almost 40% of the med school class is from California. But its still good to know there is another sacramento person in the program.

Members don't see this ad.

ichimaru... any news?

Well, I had my interview the other day. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. Dr. Levine & Lerea were pretty nice. They asked me about some classes I repeated, my research, what I've been doing the past year, and why I didn't apply last year. We also talked about the weather in NY and TX for a few minutes. Anyway, I really hope I get in - this is the perfect program for me.

Also, like some of you, I got the "this interview is just a polite gesture" vibe from them. I asked them if their class size was going to be 25, they said they weren't obligated to accept that many. Then Dr. Levine said "it's a nice feeling to not be obligated to do something." Wtf?

Members don't see this ad :)
Received an information packet today with mostly medical and tuition information. It has some basic information on the biostatistics course but no textbook name.

I wonder if we will get to choose or be assigned roommates within this program for the apartment style on-campus housing.

Ichimaru: I don't think Dr Levine would be so cruel as to interview without the possibility of acceptance. He seemed to be an incredibly nice guy. Also, I doubt he would so offhandishly comment about his opinion of the applicants to you. Though it is a vague and weird statement.

Last edited:
Also, like some of you, I got the "this interview is just a polite gesture" vibe from them. I asked them if their class size was going to be 25, they said they weren't obligated to accept that many. Then Dr. Levine said "it's a nice feeling to not be obligated to do something." Wtf?

that does sound strange. on the other hand, genuine enthusiasm (such as yours for this program) usually conveys, so that will work in your favor. i hope you get in! keep us posted

so how many people do you think the program is going to end up having

i haven't received the packet yet but what will the calender be like for next year for us. I was looking at last year's calender and it showed the biostats didn't start until well into the block. So does that mean we will only have once class histology for a long time.

i believe biostats starts after labor day so about 3-4 weeks of just histology

Phew guys. I just arrived in New York! I've been driving for the last 5 days. Nebraska was... flat. Anywho, 23F from Los Angeles here. My fiance and I are renting an apartment in White Plains (no unmarried couple housing :( ). Got a packet of the academic calendar/welcome/intro. stuff about 4 weeks ago, and the tuition bill a few days ago.

Are you guys here yet? We should hang out before school starts! :D

will be there on the 4th or 5th

5th or 6th! And really looking forward to meeting everyone

Also, I just got my info packet yesterday. The welcome letter is pretty cute :p

Members don't see this ad :)
the move in date will depend on if i can get on campus housing or not, but most likely the 5th or 6th from sacramento, hey runamok how are you planning on getting there have you already bought airplane tix or are you driving.

Me too. I'm pretty excited! :woot: I'm in NYC now but still working and busy until the end of the month. See you guys in a couple weeks!

And really looking forward to meeting everyone

Probably flying the night of the 5th, I'll have to get the car across the country later.

has anyone else had any trouble getting financial aid and housing things sorted out through the respective offices? i was in touch with the finaid office yesterday, and they were borderline cross with me for asking about the certification form. i STILL have no clue because i kept getting conflicting information and instructions from my lender and the office. i'm hoping that just sorts itself out in the next few days.

and no word from marge riley yet, whom i emailed weeks ago when i first got my acceptance. i know she's been on vacation, but wow.. i feel like i've been left hanging on all the details. i wonder if they've been getting a lot of similar inquiries because they (finaid and housing office ladies) are a little less than friendly when i call.

on the bright side, dr. levine has been wonderfully responsive and supportive when i email to ask questions.

ekcmd - i thought you were a guy for some reason when you PM'd back. my sdn intuition is so off.

anyway, i too look forward to meeting all of you!

My goodness. Interviewed yesterday with Dr. Levine and found out that I was accepted today to the program. Most likely I will be a part of this program and I am definitely looking forward to it.

Hi everyone, I have been tracking this thread for a long time now. I think I was one of the few that were actually waitlisted and I just received my acceptance today from Dr. Levine. I was wondering what I could do if I am not given on-campus housing since I was admitted so close to registration. Are there any of you looking at off-campus housing and would any of you want a roommate? Good luck to the rest of you that are awaiting decisions and I'll see those accepted in August!

Hi everyone, I have been tracking this thread for a long time now. I think I was one of the few that were actually waitlisted and I just received my acceptance today from Dr. Levine. I was wondering what I could do if I am not given on-campus housing since I was admitted so close to registration. Are there any of you looking at off-campus housing and would any of you want a roommate? Good luck to the rest of you that are awaiting decisions and I'll see those accepted in August!

I would be down to find an apartment if I dont get on campus housing which we are suppose to find out this week.

Hey everyone, I am pretty new to SDN and I was hoping to get some much needed advice. I accepted my invitation to the NYMC Accelerated Program last week, however I just received an acceptance letter from Georgetown's SMP and I am having a tough time deciding which program to attend. If anyone has any insight into this dilemma I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

You may want to contact the program's inaugural student. He can tell you what his experience was like and how it compares to other programs. You can PM me for his email address.

anyone look at the $51,132 estimated total cost and almost had a heart attack, huge financial risk hopefully it pays for all of us.

Does he visit this site? Perhaps you can email him to see if he will share his experience with us on this forum.

You may want to contact the program's inaugural student. He can tell you what his experience was like and how it compares to other programs. You can PM me for his email address.

Does he visit this site? Perhaps you can email him to see if he will share his experience with us on this forum.

great idea.

assakings, one of the factors in my decision to decline BU's program was its 38K tuition. after i tallied up NYMC's costs.. it didn't turn out to be a whole lot better. still, i have a good feeling about the program, and as it's very small and Dr. Levine and Dr. Lerea are reputedly on the NYMC SOM adcom, i'm sure they selected students they see promise in. that said, i'm sure it will pay off.

also, congrats mednb and kstreet!

as for gtown and nymc, i couldn't say because i didn't consider gtown for an smp, but if you check back on page 1, i believe there was a student who laid out some points favoring gtown. GL to you either way

I just emailed him, hopefully he's in a charitable mood :)
AAA housing hurry up! I must know if I'm to go apartment shopping!

Hey guys, I decided to go with the NYMC accelerated program so I will be seeing yall in a couple of weeks! With that said, I called the housing office today and they said that we will know if we got campus housing sometime next week. In case I do not get campus housing, I definitely will be looking for a roommate. I am a 22 year old guy from Upstate NY (Albany) that is very laid back and is into watching/playing sports. I will have a car next year and I will be able to drive down to westchester to look at places since it is only about 2 hours away. Let me know if anyone else is looking for a roommate. See you guys soon...

Hi,
I am the student who completed the accel masters at NYMC last year. A fellow applicant who interviewed pointed me to this thread and asked me to state a few of my experiences.
Please understand that I may not have time to answer every individual pm.
I know that every student who interviews either has the chance to pick my brains in person or is offered my email address for this purpose.
So should you be in the position of having to decide where you go next month, you will certainly have the chance to get in touch with me as much as you want.

That said, I will try offer a few of my thoughts on the Master's route in general and where this particular program is positioned, imho.

There is a plethora of master's programs and postbachs frequently hijacked to up one's application ante, but they are not programs geared towards the sole purpose of application "gameness". They have their place, but discussing them is laborious.

examples: MPH, post-bachs that are of the "MCAT prep" (point a finger to chitown...), gather me my premeds (ubiquitous)....

Of the single purpose master's programs I see two types:

1.)
Research and thesis driven programs that aim to strengthen the life science background.
(ex. the semi invitation only deal at Mt. Sinai which from a competitiveness basis compares very nicely with the NYCm program in the sense that they try to recruit off the barely fail AMCAS app. pool)

2.)
GPA driver programs of which georgetown represents the original archetype and model.

1:
This makes a lot fo sense if the undergraduate has no science exposure beyond the premed cookie jar. And certainly is lightyears from being published or having research background. Furthermore this is chocie if you like science and want to do the medical scientist track. The better of these programs not only do not set you up to improve your GPA, they dial the clock against you achieving this. At Mt Sinai I was told very upfront that improving the GPA had never been done in their track and wasn't going to happen anytime soon. Logically this should make sense. (I do like their program VERY much for research if you are wondering.)

2:
These programs are the opposite of above. They aim to improve the undergraduate GPA in two ways. They provide a very solid background of the MD1 material so that one can argue he is "prepared" and they rig the program to give the student a chance to shine. (If they have a decent program.)

Recently there 2.) has brought forth a new breed that aims to streamline and intensify by merely giving MD1 on the rocks. Tufts and NYMC are the purest forms of this approach as far as I know. There are others, but for various reasons I would not consider something like BU to be as purist.

(a pointer would be that it isn't exactly possibly to be a pretend med student among the MD1 class if there are 150 of "you". Would you really take every course and test with them? If not WHAT courses are you taking with the Meds? Biochem is the least MDish course and the holy grail is most likely gross anatomy...)

I think that given that the program I was in was that new breed, I should quickly mention who I think might benefit from this type.

1.) You are already very close, but you need something to get you over the edge.
2.) You believe you belong in medical school and the reasons why that isn't currently obvious on paper are no longer applicable to you. You want to simply sit down do MD1 and show the world that you went and outscored a class of MD1. [THAT is the golden cookie you can get in these accel deals, but you don't need to do it to benefit]

I honestly do not see these programs any good if you want to groom yourself in terms of MCAT preparedness, finding out if med school is for you or if you do not have everything else in your personal life sorted. Many times there was zero difference between me and the MD1 students, and I was exactly as busy as them. That doesn't leave terribly much room for anythign else. This brings me to another nugget.

This program is probably not good if you are the type to send out 15 applications and already plan to do about that number while you are in the program. That is a surefire disaster. The only type of person that could possible handle 15 bomb specific secondary essays, a realistic interview count of above five and still outscore their MD1 peers on the side is not the type of person that didn't get in last year...

Do you see what I mean? Do NOT apply during the high intensity Master's programs if it didn't work without a master's before. These programs place serious demand on you. If you do badly they close as many doors as they could open. I think that is something you may not hear everywhere. I do not know.

It is true that one CAN apply during the Master's program, but you need to take a few things into account.

A.) How close were you last time? (remember close to nothing is different applying during. A few running exams and one completed course do not outweigh four plus years of your history)

B.) No you cannot recycle your primary if you have any repeat apps in the pool.

C.) For the NYMC Master's there are specific times during which you will have an easier time interviewing. If you do it at NYMC have ur primary in during June. Applied to more than 15? Do only the secondaries for the 5 most realistic schools. (imho) Every good secondary is many days work. If you are going to recycle and write half-assed essay's you are wasting your and their time spreading yourself thin and makign yourself crazy. Save the sanity you can muster during the app cycle. It is hard on everyone.

A few points on the Master's I attended:
The attention I was given was obviously very close. I know that the class size was indeed limited to 25 as someone her ementioned. I also know they they are flooded with apps and currently regret a few of the acceptances they gave. That is typical of every program even MD :p I also know they they probably will not allow a full 25 students this year.

There are two professors who are the brainfathers of this program. One of them heads the physiology course for MD and the other the Cell bio/Histology course for MD. Both are on the MD admissions board at NYMC. One is also the director of their long running 2 year program. Both deeply care about the success of this program and their students. They have a vested interest in this going well. (I like to see other people's self interest goign in the same direction as my interests...)

What comes next is the closest thing toa pitch you will hear from me and I have to try hard not to say things that one knows but cannot be stated overtly:

A program with 150 students and a long track record cannot and does not have a personal interest in your success. They cannot protect this itnerest as no school has that many spots in their entering MD class. That much should be obvious.

Take your thought one step further: The amount of interconnectedness between the people who hold your success in the master's in their hands and the people who hold the key to an MD admission matters. A LOT.
The wet dream is them being one and the same...

I think if that isn't obvious enough I suggest you ask the following direct question at every one of your candidate programs:

1.) Are you guys on the admissions committee? (we work WITH them is not at all the same, but it is better than what is at MT. Sinai)

The implied question is whether they can FDIC insure your success if you do your part. This is very sensitive and borders on pushing integrity of the process. knowing the powers and the interests of those who designed your program of choice tells you a lot about the underpinnings.

A few things about NYMC layout:

A well designed master's does this whole "set up for good GPA" thing. So how does that look when you are thrown in with the MD's and you essentially need to at least keep up or outdo the one's you didn't beat at getting in????

simple:
at NYMC you have three blocks 2 courses per block.
Block1: MD gross anatomy/Histo YOU biostats/Histo
biostats is a freebie. I don't want to say too much here, but believe me when I tell you that block1 you have essentially an unlimited amoutn fo time to master a course the MD's have almost no time for as they are adjusting to med school and dying in anatomy. A very fun start for your epic success.

Block2: You both takes the same courses Biochem/Physiology.
By this time I was craving for a fuller schedule and I welcomed the change. You retain an edge as they are stuck with soem clinical visits weekly that you do not have to dilly with.

Block3: MD neuroscience and anatomy / behavioral (psych) YOU: Neuro
Again you are down to one course. This time the Neuro course is the major lion though. It is the hardest course in MD1 at NYMC. It far surpasses Anatomy. It is fun it is challenging and you have an edge again. IF you do have extra time you can start your thesis here. I quickly abandoned that Idea and did just the course. You won't be bored...

Apart from this, keep in mind a few things outside of the program. Is the location right for you? Does the pricetag of a Master's specifically this one seem proper for your situation? These things matter. My now wife is at Albert Einstein, that was initially the only reason I viewed NYMC as superior to Tufts.
I know feel NYMC has many very serious advantages over everything else I got to see, but they are subtle and do not often cross the mind when you look from the outside. NYMC is a small campus with a tight community feel on campus. I know they cannot guarantee you on campus housing. I do know your chance of getting it at the absolute last minute is actually quite good.I was not willing to live with that uncertainty I went off campus. That is NOT hard to find, but you must factor its cost.

My close circle of master's candidates when i applied were:
Tufts, BU and by matter of recruitment Sinai and NYMC.

I had been offered spots at pretty much every Master's that i know. You will notice the same for yourself. They are not actually very competitive compared to MD school. I kicked the big names like Bu and georgetown very early, though I can now say that soem of my peers stem from these and they obviously had success and most of them liked what they had.
(an acceptance will do that to you:p)

I assure you I did not structure this well, proofread it or capitalize anything that I ought to have capitalized. I am also sure it is way too long and way too offensive. But maybe it helped somebody.

PS: Try to save your sanity and igonre SDN as much as you can bear. Most of the time people posting here are looking from the outside in and 90% of the posted stats are lies. SDN spreads a lot of angst in my friends who use it. I hate seeing them worry. (and seriously most of it is just not substantiated or helpful)

PPS: By now I probably angered every last one of you. Accept my sincere apology I really did try to help you choose the best path for your situation.

Thanks a lot for the insight boinkers :) I interviewed last Monday, and I'm still waiting to hear back from the program (crossing my fingers!)

has anyone heard anything yet from on campus housing?

I called the housing office this morning and they said we should hear from them early next week.

just got an email about housing...living in the dorms in a four person suite...works for me

me too i am living in a four person suite next year. Good thing i dont have to look for off campus housing now.

Housing wise the deal si small and everyone lives with everyone. For the most part you are likely to be with phud candidates and other basic science students. Just in case anyone wanted to know that.

Hmm, I didn't get any email...hope they didn't run out of housing before my name came up!

Thank you for posting, boinkers. I appreciate your honesty and writing on our behalf.

I am unclear on several points; perhaps you, or someone, can clarify them.
First, you said you were able to abandon the thesis during the third block. Does that mean that you had time after the block had ended to finish the thesis?
Second, I was under the impression that you had applied and been accepted the same year that you had gone through the program. Can you comment on how you were able to do so?

Good luck, runamok. I hope they find a way to provide housing to a class of less than 25.

Hi,
I will tyr to clarify.

Thesis: I did indeed "abandon" the thesis in block three. You do not have to complete the Thesis before you even start your MD program unless your new school requires it. Should you attend NYMC, I know for a fact that they have a logn history of beign understanding and that it has happened that people handed in their thesis for the 2 year program at the end of MD4.
I plan on finishing by April 2009. This timetable is blessed by my thesis advisor...

I hope that clarifies this part.

Applying: Yes I did apply during the masters, and yes it worked. I still don't recommend it. For 99% of the people it would be a bad idea. For the most part it was probably a bad idea for me.

I wanted a NY school. To apply during the Masters I had realistically evaluated myself and concluded that I was competitive even without the Masters but on a much smaller scale. With the help of several very good strategists I ended up applying to FOUR schools, all of whom had a very good reason NOT to simply tell me to come back after the masters.
2 State schools where I had residency. (2 different states I won't talk about here :p)
NYMC
Tulane due to connections to my Alma Mater and a bit of inside info I had on them.

The volume was rigorously restricted to this and the reasons should be clear. If you absolutely cannot keep yourself from applying during your Masters, then at the very least minimalize the best you can and accept up front that you downgrade the schools you would go to.

Most schools are not too keen on transfers and I closed myself the chance to attend my Wife's school Albert Einstein or Mt. Sinai or any other NY school.

Do not expect to be nearly as competitive as after the Master. The Masters program did support me, and they wrote me progress letters and multiple updates for every school I Interviewed. They discouraged me, but once I had gone ahead they supported me.

I hope that gives you a picture of what happens when you apply during the Masters.

If your MCat is not above 30 and your past GPA is not either solidly above 3.5 or from a very strong school with a hard major. (engineering= hard psychology not so much, don't be offended)

Then I really suggets leaving 100% of your capacity on the focus of rocking the program and doing it right ONCE. (after) All it takes is one good application. You don't up your chances by volume. You only decrease quality per app. We all get to hear it and we never believe it. I know I had a tought ime following that advice.

Whatever you do, if you go to this Masters you will get very valuable guidance from them, but they don't push their advice. You do what you want and they try to help.

PS: The program has one advantage I may not have touched on. The psychological terror of knowing you are not 'IN' is really reduced when you get to melt in with meds. 80% of the people around you are brand new meds. and every course you do feels like a med course because it is. Every teacher talks about you becoming a physician in lecture and in every topic they cover. because that is where your peers AND YOU are headed. Unless you are in your advisors office you get to feel like an MD student. That isn't advertised, maybe it isn't even encouraged? But that is the real day to day feeling I had in that year. And I cannot express how soothing that was. After a month or so I "came out" to my peers and revealed "what" I was. Instead of what I expected they all told me their stories. Most of them did not go straight to med school and many had done a program. They ended up a great source of confidence and of advice. For whatever its worth, I told the program advisors about this and they know I valued it. I believe that they plan on continuing the program in such a way that you get the chance to feel the same way.

Last edited:
Turns out I got housing after all! But it's an unfurnished apartment. Any idea where to get cheap furniture besides Ikea/craigslist? Is there some message board where outgoing students have stuff for sale?

Does anyone if we have to move in on Aug2 or 3 because i wanted to move in on the 5th. I sent email to the housing office but they wont respond for some reason.

Last edited:
yeah i dont want to show up till around the 5th...i will email levine and ask he is fast on the replies

for stuff, get ur email account up and running. books furniture and so on...
[email protected] is an active email method by which all that is done on campus. Quite useful

Hey all!

I just made a facebook group for our accelerated bms program this year. Go join it! We can use it to stay in touch and keep ahead of the crowd. (Those M1's won't know what hit them :laugh:)

Anyone looking for a roomie? I'd be interested in sharing something to get something a little bigger/nicer. I'm currently shopping around for off-campus housing. Let me know through FB.

Hey so is anyone else coming in on the morning of Aug 6th at JFK my flight lands at 8:15. It would be good to split a cab or something to campus, i dont think it would be a good idea taking a train with a whole bunch of luggage.

Hey so is anyone else coming in on the morning of Aug 6th at JFK my flight lands at 8:15. It would be good to split a cab or something to campus, i dont think it would be a good idea taking a train with a whole bunch of luggage.

Dude I think we're on the same flight! 172?
I'm not sure of how I'm getting to campus, I might have family picking me up from JFK. Could you maybe PM me your cell number and if they don't come or if there's room for you I can let you know?
Looking forward to "jetting" with a classmate!

Hey everyone,

just got my acceptance today. really excited for the program. I know the area around Valhalla somewhat well as I have been working in the area for about a year. Let me know if you have any questions or otherwise. Looking forward to meeting everyone.

did anyone else get on campus housing with no furniture? I got that which sucks because i dont want to buy crappy stuff but i dont want to spend alot and then move somewhere else in 11 months and have to selling alot or move alot

yea i got the unfurnished one as well, i'll probably just buy used ****ty stuff because it doesnt make sense to buy anything with much value. Is there anyway we can get in touch with people selling their old stuff because we cant use the [email protected] until we actually get the email address.

Also unfurnished. I'm planning on hitting up Salvo/Good Will. I'll also probably be sleeping on an air mattress until I can get a real bed.

There's a Home Depot <2 miles from campus...maybe I can make a cheap desk out of plywood and a couple of sawhorses... :p