NYMC Accelerated M.S. Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I called the office to check my application and found out that I was missing some stuff and my application was not complete.

The nice lady on the other side mentioned that they will not review the application until later on (i believe she mentioned mid April or so) and since I have to wait for a while for her to check my application I am assuming the stuff that I sent to the med school was just lying in the mail room somewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

hi again-
so i have a campus interview coming up soon and was just wondering if any of you chose that format for the interview? those of you that did a campus interview, would you say it was similar to a med school interview? what did the interview day include? if you have any advice/information, please let me know! thanks!

Yeah, I had an on-campus interview. It was a little over 2 hours, about 40 minutes with each of the three interviewers, and a really quick tour. Each interviewer asked different, but pretty conventional questions. The SDN interview questions forum helped. G'luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I have a phone interview this weeK! Sorta my first interview EVER for anything! haha. any tips on preparing for it? What types of questions were they asking those that have already interviewed?

I received an acceptance email on april 1st. It sounds like a great program but I'm trying to decide between this one and some other ones. Does anyone know how many students from the '08-09 class got into medical school this year? And how many have gotten into nymc after doing the program?

Got the email too! Yay! Will most likely be going unless my NYMC interview goes really, really well (and it needs to to make up for some baaaaad numbers) and I get in there. I think a handful of the students have already gotten into med school and most of them have interviews to NYMC (who interviews really late in the season). The professors seem to really back the program so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for all of them.

I submit my application towards the middle of March, when would you know if you were selected for an interview? and can anyone who were interviewed / accepted post your stats and URM status.

Thanks

Does anyone know how many students from the '08-09 class got into medical school this year? And how many have gotten into nymc after doing the program?

only 6 out of 18 that are applying have gotten in SO FAR

no one has gotten in to NYMC bc NYMC has not interviewed any of us. Most that applied to nymc have interviews at the end of april and beginning of may.

hey just wanted to see if you guys know what is going on, I interviewed on March 12th, but have yet to hear anything from them yet. Normal?

Tdsbird2, late April and early May seem like pretty late interviewing dates. I mean it makes sense why they would want to wait, then they can see how well you did in the program throughout the entire year. But I can imagine it would be kinda of stressful for you guys though.

Tdsbird2, late April and early May seem like pretty late interviewing dates. I mean it makes sense why they would want to wait, then they can see how well you did in the program throughout the entire year. But I can imagine it would be kinda of stressful for you guys though.

I'm in the program as well........it is stressful. It's stressful in all these programs. Most medical schools sit on your application when u are in programs such as these and want to see how well you do. It comes with the territory.

Edit: That doesn't mean you won't get interviews if you apply early. A lot of the people in the program have had many interviews outside of NYMC. The laws of the application process (apply early, write good secs...etc.) still apply.

No matter which program you go to.....you have to do well for the schools to appreciate it. I think that it's all about whether or not the environment will help you do well. In that respect, NYMC AMP is very supportive.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I submit my application towards the middle of March, when would you know if you were selected for an interview? and can anyone who were interviewed / accepted post your stats and URM status.

Thanks

Not sure about URM status; however, the typical stats for people in our program seem to be pretty consistent with most SMP/AMP's. Tough/boderline GPA's that are usually buffered by MCAT's that range from low to high 30's.

I am also a current student in the program and would strongly encourage current applicants to consider other programs. While NYMC's program certainly has some strengths (such as the small size of the program, the faculty, and the fact that we take actual med school classes), it has not done well in helping students get into med schools. The NYMC interviews for us have not yet taken place yet, so I can't speak to the success rate on acceptances to NYMC. But many students in the program have previously applied to med school and have not done any better this go around, despite being in the program and doing well. In fact, some have done worse this year in terms of getting interviews and on waitlists.

One of the major factors that I feel makes NYMC a poor choice for a post-bac program is the trimester/block scheduling. Come December, you have only completed 2 classes (and only 1 of them is a med school class). Thus, you will only have 2 grades to send into schools (and 1 of them will be biostats, a course med schools probably aren't too concerned about). At most other post-bac programs, you'd have 4-5 grades to report. Med schools want to see you can succeed academically, and 1 med school course grade won't prove this.

Along the lines of grades, several current students have said it's very feasible to do well. It definitely is possible to do well, but it's not easy. Be prepared to spend the year studying and memorizing. The amount of material is much greater than undergrad; simply putting in a few hours of studying every day is not enough to do well. Also, passing for graduate school (and this is a grad school program) is a 3.0, which is higher than passing for med school. So if you don't maintain that GPA, you won't be able to get your master's, even if you are considered to be passing the med school classes.

A few other thoughts on the program... the scheduling for the year is quite poor. In the first trimester, you're taking 1 med school course and 1 grad school course (which was a complete waste of time). You will have a great deal of free time. Yes, it's nice to take it easy and have time to adjust to the rigor of med school. However, many people complained it was too much unstructured time. It would be great if you could work part time or volunteer to get some research or clinical experience, but these opportunities are not readily available around here. Also, when the second block hits and you are taking the full med school load (and for a few weeks, even more than the med students because the grad school class is still going), it's a rough transition.

In terms of NYMC as a school, be aware that it is a small school in financial trouble. There have been several administrative hitches throughout the year. Also worth mentioning is that while Dr. Lerea and Dr. Levine are phenomenal people, we are now discovering they don't seem to have the communication with the admissions committee that most of us were under the impression they did when we came here.

I recognize that this is the first year of the program, and kinks were inevitable. Still, I would advise you to seriously consider other schools' programs. I don't think they can significantly improve on the program here in a year, particularly because one of the main weaknesses is the trimester calendar, which will not be changed. You would likely be better off going to a more established program at a school with a better reputation.

Yikes. I don't really know what to think of this program now.

Yikes. I don't really know what to think of this program now.

I would caution holding on to that acceptance for now. Most of the class will find out in about a month or so whether the program has been fruitful or not and what sort of precedent will be set with this inaugural class.

are any of you sure yet that you are going to do this program? any reasons for choosing this one over others?

doc456, your comments are very helpful.. i was wondering if you think that for people applying to med school AFTER completing the program, the success rate might be higher? that would eliminate the problems that come along with few grades in the trimester system, but would the fact that its a lesser known program be enough of an issue in itself when applying to med school? thanks

Hey guys, I'm another current student. I don't want to contradict my classmate but I felt like adding my two cents.
Yeah, the scheduling is a little wonky, it'd be nicer to have some more grades up front, and there be financial trouble, but I LOVE this program and credit it with the success I've had this cycle. That said, there are some things you should know before you commit:

1. This program is set up so you can better your GPA. It is NOT for applicants who need more extracurriculars, more direct patient contact, or better MCATs. There are enough volunteer opportunities (http://www.projectsunshine.org/ has a branch here) to maintain your app, but not enough to make it better. Come here to get good grades.

2. Be prepared to take 2 years off. Coming into the program, the directors were hopeful that we'd all get into med school this cycle. Now they're beginning to say things like, "This program will really help you for NEXT year's apps," which wasn't fun to hear but is true.
The program is far from a failure, however. Of the 18 people remaining in the program who are currently applying to med school, at least 6 have been accepted somewhere and we'll find out about NYMC next month.

3. If you want to maximize this program's benefits to your apps you need to SHAMELESSLY SELF-PROMOTE. In your primary, in your secondaries, on the interviews, you need to tell your med schools over and over that you are taking classes WITH ACTUAL MED STUDENTS and that you are scoring better than them (cuz you totally will, right?). Take advantage of Dr. Lerea, he's on your side and will write all the rec letters and updates you need. Never let your schools forget that being in this program means you're definitely ready to be a med student.

4. Get your apps in early. I cannot emphasize the importance of this enough.

5. You're coming here to work hard. To quote Knocked Up, if you want a special experience, go to a Jimmy Buffet concert. Do this program to kick ass and take names.

This program can do wonderful things for you, but only if you know what you're getting into and can commit to 10.5 months of hard labor.

is the application web page supposed to be a status page as well? I interviewed a couple weeks ago and haven't heard anything, so I keep checking in to the application page to see if there is an update, like maybe the message center would say something. Would it? Or do I just wait passively for communication from them?

Just receive an interview invite :laugh:
is there anything i should worry about

Does anyone know when the next wave of acceptances go out? I interviewed two weeks ago...

I think they mentioned decisions going out in waves at the beginning of each month. So early May, I'm assuming.

There's really nothing surprising...they'll have your AMCAS to look at and your application -- most of the questions they ask you will come from there. It's really, really conversational and everyone is super nice. If grades are bad, then they'll ask why, especially if your GPA is lopsided like mine was (bad fresh-soph, good jr-sr). Overall, a pretty enjoyable experience except for those 3 minutes where you're staring at your phone, willing it to ring, haha.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions!

For anyone that interviewed for the program,

I just finished interviewing and I want to see whether my experience mirror your experience. My interview was only 20 minutes and all we talked about was administrative issues, such as "can you get a loan?" or "Is there any question about our program?". I did not get asked why medicine/ physician or strength and weakness. Is this common in your interview ?

Thanks

Current AMS students, have the interviews for NYMC happened yet? Please keep me posted. I think that the number of AMS students that get into the med school may be the deciding factor.

Last edited:
Current AMS students, have the interviews for NYMC happened yet? Please keep me posted. I think that the number of AMS students that get into the med school may be the deciding factor.

I talked to Dr. Levine during the interview and he said most, if not all, of the current AMS students has interviewed.

I talked to Dr. Levine during the interview and he said most, if not all, of the current AMS students has interviewed.

BULL! 4 out of the 16 have interviewed. 15 out of the 16 that have applied have been offered interviews but the majority of them are in the last week of interviews (first week of may) still everyone finds out on may 15th. no one from this program has been accepted here yet

For current amp students, how did interviews go so far? May 15 is when you guys should hear back but does anyone find out before that date?

BULL! 4 out of the 16 have interviewed. 15 out of the 16 that have applied have been offered interviews but the majority of them are in the last week of interviews (first week of may) still everyone finds out on may 15th. no one from this program has been accepted here yet

That's a bit disheartening.. knowing that my interviewer is fidgeting the facts a little bit.
Please let us know how many in your class got accepted, after may 15th of course.

So it's May 7th. All of us in the program have now interviewed at NYMC, and are waiting for their decision. They told us to expect it in 4 weeks, so we'll all have to wait until the first week of June to see what the matriculation rate is without a gap year. Best of luck to everyone.

So, I interviewed a while ago and still haven't heard. Has anyone been officially rejected or waitlisted yet? :confused:

Question for all who have completed or are currently in the program. Is the ~$32,000 total cost of attendance (including living expenses) listed on the NYMC website even close to accurate? Can the year really be this inexpensive (ie. half the cost of Georgetown)?

$32K sounds like a stretch, I'd guess more like $40K.

It's pretty easy to live cheaply if you're on campus. Rent, groceries, books, gas, etc. all cost me ~$1,100 per month.
The catch is you're going to spend a lot on traveling for interviews :S

$32K sounds like a stretch, I'd guess more like $40K.

It's pretty easy to live cheaply if you're on campus. Rent, groceries, books, gas, etc. all cost me ~$1,100 per month.
The catch is you're going to spend a lot on traveling for interviews :S

That's probably the one expense that I would be happy to pay. Thanks for the info.

How's your on-campus housing? And is there parking on campus?

How's your on-campus housing? And is there parking on campus?

The housing is ok. Living in the married housing is kind of like living in a La Quinta but it's warm and the superintendent is great. It cost me $300 to furnish my room and the kitchen.

The singles housing is a little nicer (and comes with furniture), but it's ~$100/month more expensive.

There's a free parking lot across the street from housing.

on the housing topic... it sounded like a lot of people end up living on campus according to my interviewers and current students. for those of you that are current students, would you recommend on campus housing over off campus? and why? thanks!

on the housing topic... it sounded like a lot of people end up living on campus according to my interviewers and current students. for those of you that are current students, would you recommend on campus housing over off campus? and why? thanks!

i would live on campus for atleast the first year. this program is only 25 people max...MS1 and MS2 make like 380...it is easier to be social and make friends in the beginning. And if you dont have anyone to live with living off campus can be more than twice as much for a 1 bed room

So NYMC has made some decisions and mailed them to our permanent addresses. So far I know of 1 AMP student accepted by NYMC and 2 waitlisted (including moi). Anyone else hear back yet?

So NYMC has made some decisions and mailed them to our permanent addresses. So far I know of 1 AMP student accepted by NYMC and 2 waitlisted (including moi). Anyone else hear back yet?

Why do you think that one got accepted out right while others got waitlisted? Was there a huge difference in performance in the M1 classes?

14 interviewed for spots from this postbac program. 8 were accepted and 6 were waitlisted.

Now that the realities of this program have sunk in, I'd like to contribute to this thread with a review of sorts of how I felt this new program fares in comparison to others.

The best aspects about this program involve the attention you will receive by course directors involved in the M1 curriculum. Particularly the program directors Dr. Lerea of Cell Biology and Histology and Dr. Levine of Physiology. An equally important aspect is the camaraderie of fellow students in both the program and in the M1 class. The relatively small size of the program allows the masters students to essentially to become a part of the M1 class. During the second block in particular, you will meld in with the students because you will be taking an equivalent course load.

Who should enter this sort of program?

Well, you should be a relatively strong candidate from the start. If there are any deficits in your application, even performing relatively strongly in this program may not overcome past issues.

Maintain at least the following:
A GPA at least above a 3.0, successful students had a range from low to high 3's
An MCAT at least around the national median for those matriculating to medical school, e.g. at least a 29-30 or above...some students in this program had scores into the mid and upper thirties
An overall strong package of research, clinical experience, and extracurriculars...not absolutely necessary as some students came into the program right after graduating college, but experience is always a plus

And then proceed to kick ass in Histology, Biochemistry, Physiology, and Neuroscience.

Now the caveat. This program exists for the sole purpose of bumping one into medical school, and thus performing well is absolutely necessary. This program provides you with those tools as for the most part you will have less to do than the medical students. If you work hard and put in the necessary hours, then there is no reason why one cannot succeed.

There are a few things I would have done differently from the start. I would definitely have put in more time into crafting a better AMCAS application. At the start, I greatly limited my chances of matriculating to medical school by applying very narrowly and had I not been accepted to this school I would be going through the motions of applying again this summer. Dr. Lerea and Dr. Levine noted that if one did not matriculate this year, they would be ready to provide opportunities for research during the ensuing gap year.

If you do matriculate into NYMC, there will be many more opportunities to excel during the M1 years, and I'll be sure to note what sort of advantages there are to already completing 3/4ths of the M1 curriculum during the year.

Last edited:
I am a current AMP student who has been accepted at NYMC and I would like to post a few thoughts for those that are still considering this program.

First of all, since I was accepted, obviously this program was successful for me. It was the only thing that had changed since my last application. I enjoyed being at NYMC and the faculty are great; especially the advisors for the AMP program. They are genuinely invested in your success.

With that being said, there should be a few things you are aware of.

• this is NOT a guarantee, it's possible it could be a two year process
  • there are not enough grades at the beginning so it won't help you immensely for other med schools. Because of this, you will be interviewed on practically the last day NYMC offers interviews
  • it will be a stressful year. You want to try your hardest to get good grades.
In conclusion, this program was a big risk but it paid off and I do not regret it at all. If you have outstanding grades, there should be no problem.

Good luck and stay optimistic! It's a great program and the success rate is very high.

Last edited:
Has anyone decided they are doing this program next year?

Has anyone started a facebook group yet?

I know us, current students, have done a fair share of bashing on this program. However, most of that is probably because they work us hard and we are just letting some steam out. Yes, there are things that need to be fixed in this program, but no program is perfect in the first year and the directors know that. I think the most important thing to know is that out of the people that applied, 78% (14/18) current hold an acceptance. Plus 3 are waitlisted at one or more schools. And there are people with multiple acceptances or an acceptance and waitlist spots elsewhere. If the percentages don't change, this program still has a higher acceptance rate in one year than Georgetown and others do in TWO application cycles. If you are planning on finishing a program like this then apply the next year, look other places as well. If you want to do this type of program, have a summer, start med school...come here. All these programs are means to an end (an acceptance). If we could just get straight into med school, we would not be pursuing this masters. NYMC will get a higher percentage of students into med school in one year. That is the bottom line.

I was recently accepted to teh traditonal trak at NYMC too! I was wondering the same thing. Is anyone going??? If so Who are you? Does anyone know anything specific abou this track?? Let me know! Thanks :)

hi ebunny... i'm going, but will be doing the accelerated track. also wondering who else is going here in the fall?

I STILL haven't heard back. Is this weird?

just call and ask about it. they are much nicer than med school admissions bc instead of 12000 people applying and calling in all the time the numbers are much smaller and all three of the directors are very nice