NYMC Class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Cars are not "essential". There is an intra-county bus system - BeeLine, which is pretty good (covers a lot of places). To get into NYC, there is Metro North (stops in Valhalla and White Plains). However, as you know, the campus is somewhat "isolated", and from talking to other students, it seems having a car on campus is a great idea. Quick and easy way to get around. (I'm bringing mine). Also, I believe parking for students is free.

BTW - great resouces on the area:
www.westchesterny.com
http://www.westchestergov.com/planning/research/

Members don't see this ad.

Bring a car if you can. We are by no means isolated however, life with a car is so much easier. Metro North is key for getting to and from the city (never drive into manhattan unless you are really familiar with the area), but to do every day things, you will probably need a car, or know someone who has one..... I for one am bringing mine. Anyone know the parking situation? Is it free, or do we need to pay monthly?

Bigsheed920 said:
i would say it is full.....waitlist is probably where all late interviewees are headed.
I can't say for sure about this year, but last year I interviewed right at the end and was accepted without being waitlisted. It wasn't until June, but no waitlist.

For anyone deciding on their car, bring it if you can. You can certainly get by without one, but it is really nice to have.

Members don't see this ad :)
DonnyV17 said:
Bring a car if you can. We are by no means isolated however, life with a car is so much easier. Metro North is key for getting to and from the city (never drive into manhattan unless you are really familiar with the area), but to do every day things, you will probably need a car, or know someone who has one..... I for one am bringing mine. Anyone know the parking situation? Is it free, or do we need to pay monthly?

My friend who goes there told me the parking situation, but I dont remember the details, I believe that the students who live on campus get free parking and the students who live off campus pay a small amount to park on campus, but it might be the other way around, and I'm not sure of the price. I do remember I thought it was not even slightly a big deal (but I pay $150/month to park my car outside my apartment now).

bbtbay said:
Thanks rummaMd! Does anyone know what the public transportation system is like in the area? I'm trying to decide if it'd be worth it for me to bring my car to school. I'd have to bring it all the way from CA!

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm debating on bringing the car. On one hand, it seems super useful to have it there, but driving across the country isn't too appealing to me. Can you ship a car? How do these things even work?

In other news, I submitted all the paperwork I need for the financial aid step 1 process today. It should get to NYMC early next week. I'll let you guys know what I hear.

Btw, I've been reading the student handbook they gave us at the interview, it seems pretty helpful.

You can ship a car, but I have to look into the rates for that (I heard it can be quite expensive). Also, I have a two-door car (Accord) and I don't know if it will be able to stand those icy highways in the winter -- something else you may want to consider.

I also sent in my financial aid stuff yesterday. I'm not planning on getting any financial aid (my parents make too much) but what sucks is that I'm paying (like mostly everyone else) by myself. So it's going to be a lot of low-interest loans hopefully. --- That scholarship would be soo nice, but I didn't get it...

ruwan said:
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm debating on bringing the car. On one hand, it seems super useful to have it there, but driving across the country isn't too appealing to me. Can you ship a car? How do these things even work?

In other news, I submitted all the paperwork I need for the financial aid step 1 process today. It should get to NYMC early next week. I'll let you guys know what I hear.

Btw, I've been reading the student handbook they gave us at the interview, it seems pretty helpful.

I had some friends in the opposite situation as you about a year ago (they were moving (with some belongings) across the country, but didnt have a car, and they hooked up with someone like you (had a car but didn't want to drive it across country) and it worked out well for them. I'm not sure exactly how they found that person though, craigslist.com maybe. I think you can also ship it, but it might be expensive.

anyone interview late march and hear back yet? i know it's only been about 6 weeks, but still wondering... i haven't gotten anything yet, but i heard from some first years that acceptances are still offered even if you interviewed late in the cycle.

bbtbay said:
You can ship a car, but I have to look into the rates for that (I heard it can be quite expensive). Also, I have a two-door car (Accord) and I don't know if it will be able to stand those icy highways in the winter -- something else you may want to consider.

I also sent in my financial aid stuff yesterday. I'm not planning on getting any financial aid (my parents make too much) but what sucks is that I'm paying (like mostly everyone else) by myself. So it's going to be a lot of low-interest loans hopefully. --- That scholarship would be soo nice, but I didn't get it...

Are all the scholarships gone? Is there no hope left for us?

naach83 said:
anyone interview late march and hear back yet? i know it's only been about 6 weeks, but still wondering... i haven't gotten anything yet, but i heard from some first years that acceptances are still offered even if you interviewed late in the cycle.

6 weeks... sorry... i had to wait 10 weeks for mine, and i interviewd mid february. i'm afraid you probably have at least a month more waiting to go. but good luck.

ruwan said:
Are all the scholarships gone? Is there no hope left for us?

There were people who were getting scholarships solely on turning in a FAFSA. Others were getting scholarships prior to committing to NYMC (sending in a deposit). A part of me feels like they were sending out scholarships to people who hadn't decided on NYMC yet --- and needed a little enticing. If that's the case, then I don't think I'll be getting anything considering I already sent in my deposit (saying I'll see you in the fall) and turned in all my financial paperwork. Oh well...

bbtbay said:
There were people who were getting scholarships solely on turning in a FAFSA. Others were getting scholarships prior to committing to NYMC (sending in a deposit). A part of me feels like they were sending out scholarships to people who hadn't decided on NYMC yet --- and needed a little enticing. If that's the case, then I don't think I'll be getting anything considering I already sent in my deposit (saying I'll see you in the fall) and turned in all my financial paperwork. Oh well...

i emailed my withdrawal today. still too expensive with the scholarship.

bbtbay said:

FYI I received the scholarship AFTER (weeks after) I sent the $100 deposit in.

Members don't see this ad :)
spongebob_sq said:
I can't say much about the public transportation, but from the looks of the campus most people need a car. I wasn't planning on bringing my car to med school, but when I got to NYMC and talked to people there I decided I couldn't live without it! There's not much to do in the area of the school (not even a grocery store!). Just my opinion though. Maybe you should try to get in contact with a current student to see if living there without a car is that big of a deal.
Living without a car here is definitely doable -- a lot of people do it and manage. But the upshot is that you have to rely on people who *do* have cars to get around. So make friends and don't be an a**hole. :smuggrin:

Seriously though it is manageable if you don't mind the dependency and the inconvenience of not having one.

Hey guys, I got an email from NYMC today. Registration begins Aug 1, welcome week/orientation is Aug 2-5 and classes begin Aug 8. Wow, things are happening so quickly. Anyway, just wondering if anyone knows anything about signing up for housing? Anyone heard from student housing officially yet?

Did NYMC ever offer a re-visit day? Did I miss it or it never happened?

I do not think there was a re-visit day.

Bigsheed920 said:
i would say it is full.....waitlist is probably where all late interviewees are headed.

Not true - synapse I interviewed march 31st and I just got my acceptance email today! I wrote back already saying I am accepting, but they're sending a formal letter via regular mail for me to fill out and send back with my deposit. Hang in there! =) I'm so excited; still waitlisted at Stony Brook and Upstate, though and let's see if I hear anything from Stony Brook.

NYMC Class of 2009!

daisee82 said:
Not true - synapse I interviewed march 31st and I just got my acceptance email today! I wrote back already saying I am accepting, but they're sending a formal letter via regular mail for me to fill out and send back with my deposit. Hang in there! =) I'm so excited; still waitlisted at Stony Brook and Upstate, though and let's see if I hear anything from Stony Brook.

NYMC Class of 2009!

Email ? I thought they would send it to you via the mail. In that case, I should be checking my email more often. I was also interviewed at the end of March. Have my fingers crossed everysingle day. :D

daisee82 said:

NYMC Class of 2009!

Congrats Daisee, I interviewed on March 31st as well, but haven't recieved an email or anything yet. Hopefully, I'll have your luck and hear from them soon enough!

Terminator said:
Email ? I thought they would send it to you via the mail. In that case, I should be checking my email more often. I was also interviewed at the end of March. Have my fingers crossed everysingle day. :D

No no.. sorry i guess my post was confusing. I got an email saying I have been accepted, but to expect a letter in the regular mail and to return that within a week along with a deposit. So don't worry, they'd contact you via snail mail too. Good luck! =) man, i am stoked!

naach83 said:
Congrats Daisee, I interviewed on March 31st as well, but haven't recieved an email or anything yet. Hopefully, I'll have your luck and hear from them soon enough!

Hmm, we were probably there together then? Now that May 15th has passed i'm sure they'll send out their decisions soon enough. But geez, we sure had to wait in agony didn't we? Good luck! I hope you get great news soon =)

:( no word yet for me... interviewed early march
sadness.... :scared:

thx daisee, i'm sure it won't be too long til a decision is made (hopefully).

synapse-- hang in there, i called today and the secretary said 10-12 weeks (which isn't always true) and i know of some people who had to wait that long til they got their acceptance. i'm sure you'll be hearing soon, maybe you should try calling, it may speed up the process.

don't worry guys, they aren't just waitlisting people now. I interviewed on March 9th and found out last Friday (May 13) that I was accepted (no waitlist, yay!). I'm sending in my deposit tomorrow and will be there in August unless one other school that I'm waitlisted at comes through for me.

On another note, I haven't seen the acceptance packet yet--they emailed me saying I was accepted and that they were also sending out the package via snail mail and I had to accept within 7 days, except they said they were sending it to my permanent address (parent's house)--so my parent's have to fill it all out and send it in since I'm not living at home right now....anyways, my question is: what do i have to do for financial aid stuff? all I've done so far is submitted my FAFSA (i did that about a month ago)--now what do I have to do specifically for NYMC? Thanks!

Hi guys,

My name is Peter, I've been posting in the UIC Class of 2009 thread, trying to decide whether to attend UIC or NYMC...Reading an earlier post in this thread, someone said they got a good "gut feeling" about the school, and that's the boat I'm in.
For the past few days I've had a mental WrestleMania steelcage match in my head trying to decide where to go. Today, I decided on NYMC, one big reason being tuition ($46K/year vs $37K). Also, I love NYC, and I'd be bringing my car, so doing 3rd/4th years IN the city is ridiculously incredible.
But every time I think I made a decision, I get doubts...do you guys think that choosing this school over UIC is a good decision?
Regarding interviews/acceptances: I interviewed April 28th, was told I'd have to wait 8 weeks, but received my acceptance on May 13th, basically 2 weeks later. I was super surprised, I wasn't expecting it, but believe me I'm not complaining. So I guess spots are still being filled, so don't lose hope.
Anyway, I guess I'm just looking for reinforcement in my choice. You guys are happy to be going to NYMC, right?
And, if we have to move in August 1st, and classes don't start till Aug. 8th, that gives us 7 days to start all sorts of drama. Let's give "Melrose Place" a run for its money!

DoctorV09 said:
don't worry guys, they aren't just waitlisting people now. I interviewed on March 9th and found out last Friday (May 13) that I was accepted (no waitlist, yay!). I'm sending in my deposit tomorrow and will be there in August unless one other school that I'm waitlisted at comes through for me.

On another note, I haven't seen the acceptance packet yet--they emailed me saying I was accepted and that they were also sending out the package via snail mail and I had to accept within 7 days, except they said they were sending it to my permanent address (parent's house)--so my parent's have to fill it all out and send it in since I'm not living at home right now....anyways, my question is: what do i have to do for financial aid stuff? all I've done so far is submitted my FAFSA (i did that about a month ago)--now what do I have to do specifically for NYMC? Thanks!

if you go to the nymc website, theres a pretty detailed description of what you're supposed to do. get your 2004 and your parents 2004 taxes photocopied and ready to send out. also you'll have to do something with T.H.E. loan program (master promissory note or something like that), and one or two other documents depending on your status.

it's not difficult, just a pain to put everything together.

casanova70 said:
Hi guys,

My name is Peter, I've been posting in the UIC Class of 2009 thread, trying to decide whether to attend UIC or NYMC...Reading an earlier post in this thread, someone said they got a good "gut feeling" about the school, and that's the boat I'm in.
For the past few days I've had a mental WrestleMania steelcage match in my head trying to decide where to go. Today, I decided on NYMC, one big reason being tuition ($46K/year vs $37K). Also, I love NYC, and I'd be bringing my car, so doing 3rd/4th years IN the city is ridiculously incredible.
But every time I think I made a decision, I get doubts...do you guys think that choosing this school over UIC is a good decision?
Regarding interviews/acceptances: I interviewed April 28th, was told I'd have to wait 8 weeks, but received my acceptance on May 13th, basically 2 weeks later. I was super surprised, I wasn't expecting it, but believe me I'm not complaining. So I guess spots are still being filled, so don't lose hope.
Anyway, I guess I'm just looking for reinforcement in my choice. You guys are happy to be going to NYMC, right?
And, if we have to move in August 1st, and classes don't start till Aug. 8th, that gives us 7 days to start all sorts of drama. Let's give "Melrose Place" a run for its money!

Glad that you decided about NYMC.... but you know that the estimated cost of living at NYMC is 57k right? At least that's what it says on the financial aid website. I think like 10-12k of that is for housing+food, but just to let you know. I think "tuition" by itself is 37k though. I'm not sure about UIC, so just don't want you to make a bad decision.

Anyway, if you're still coming to NYMC, it's good to meet you. Have you gotten your financial/student housing stuff taken care of yet? I'm still waiting for my fin.aid. package and any info from housing. Are you thinking about moving in Aug 1? I figured that since orientation starts Aug 1, we'd have to move in earlier....I don't know. What's everyone's thoughts on that?

Peter-

It sounds like you had a real hard time making your decision, but I'm glad that you chose NYMC! I was one of those people who went with their "gut" and chose NYMC over a couple other schools. For me, what it came down to was where I would feel the most comfortable. I'm a huge city guy (living in SF right now) and I enjoy working with a wide diverse range of patients --- which I will be able to do in Manhattan, 3rd and 4th years. As far as the competetive atmosphere that people talk about, I know people who are second years there, talked to people who are third years, and those that are residents right now who graduated from NYMC, and they said the competetiveness comes from a small group of students who are "hard core." In reality, there are always a few people who are like this --- gunners. But everyone said that an overwhelming majority are very friendly and they have formed quite a close-knit community --- I trust these opinions more than any other that I could have heard (specifically from this website).

Its going to be hard for me leaving my family, friends, and nightlife of SF in July, but I'm looking forward to beginning fresh in NYC. I can't wait to meet you and the other NYMC students for orientation and have a great time...

bbybay, casanova70, and all the rest of the people on the thread who are NYMC '09, how about we be the overwhelmingly friendly group, and definitely not the gunners. I hated gunners in college, and I'm not looking forward to dealing with the best of the gunners in med school.

Yech, i totally agree. I work with this girl who is going to go to einstein and she is totally the gunner type. She may be the most miserable Bitch that i have ever met. That aside, I think you made a good choice pete. NYMC is great, cya in Aug.

DonnyV17 said:
Yech, i totally agree. I work with this girl who is going to go to einstein and she is totally the gunner type. She may be the most miserable Bitch that i have ever met. That aside, I think you made a good choice pete. NYMC is great, cya in Aug.
totally agree with Donny and ruwan - i honestly don't think i CAN be the gunner type if i tried... i'm just not like that. and donny, I feel your pain man cause a girl that works in our lab is totally a gunner and user/abuser - only friendly when she needs something. sooo... yea I still haven't received my formal acceptance packet yet (was told by email), or housing/fin aid info. i feel soooo rushed since classes start so early. i guess i should get on top of fin aid stuff but when are people moving in? i have to decide when i am ending work here at the NIH. see ya'll soon!

WORD!

Yeah, I saw that the estimated budget @ NYMC is like 57K, but at UIC, for out-of-staters like me, is like 70K...that's a 26K difference the first 2 years, and, after interest, it'll balloon to like 35K or something, and that's money I can invest into putting a stripper pole in my Manhattan penthouse apartment. JK!!! THAT WAS A JOKE! I plan to live in Beverly Hills.

I haven't gotten ANYTHING done yet, not even my FAFSA, cause there was some trouble with my parents' tax return, and they barely worked it out last week.

Yeah I want to get up there as soon as possible, but I haven't received any financial aid/housing info, so I don't know when that will be.

As far as being a gunner, I'm far from it. I think that it's gonna be vital for all of us to help each other out, we're going to need it.

Let's keep our eyes on this thread, ok? I'd really like to be able to meet up with ya'll somewhere in the city a few days before school starts or something so we can get to knowe each other.

I was in the same boat as you guys as far as deciding on NYMC goes, but I followed that gut feeling and now I'm really glad I did. I think most people move in the weekend before orientation (July 30th & 31st). I also heard orientation is a blast. Last year they went on a night cruise up the Hudson and went to a Yankees game. I thought August 1 was kind of early to start too, but I am really looking forward to getting started and to meeting you all!

P.S. I’m definitely not a gunner! :)

TWAAAAAAAAT??? A cruise up the Hudson, and a Yankees game? Oh man that spells all sorts of trouble. I can't wait!

Hey all in the class of 2009!

To those of you late interviewers who haven't gotten in yet, don't worry. I interviewed 3/28 and got my acceptance on 5/17. I wasn't expecting it so early, but they sent the Fed Ex package to my parents house.

Right now I have 5 days to decide on NYMC since it is past the 5/15 deadline. I'm WIGGING out ppl, and would love any advice, words of wisdom you have to offer. :confused:

When I visited NYMC I fell in love w/ NYC, but was ho-hum about Valhalla. Then again, how much free time will we have? : )

I guess I just wanted to ask everyone this for some perspective. I'm from Ohio and if you have ever lived in the mid-west people are usually very warm and friendly, say hi, etc. NYMC was my only non mid-west school, but it is also the only school where the current students didn't really say hi or chat to the kids who were interviewing.

Is this more of a big city thing? An east coast thing? The current students were kinda hard to read. The first girl who talked to us came up from Manhattan, she was a 4th year and was super super nice. But the girl who gave us our tour was stand off-ish. She was a REAL gunner and pretty much stated that you could choose to be friends with your class mates or you could choose to beat them in test scores,

I'm just trying to read the flavor/personality of the students there. What are your thoughts guys/gals? Also, if you were wrestling with this VERY hard decision, how did you make it. What were 2 or 3 of the things that SOLD you on NYMC?

Thanks for any help!

dobs737 said:
Hey all in the class of 2009!

To those of you late interviewers who haven't gotten in yet, don't worry. I interviewed 3/28 and got my acceptance on 5/17. I wasn't expecting it so early, but they sent the Fed Ex package to my parents house.

Right now I have 5 days to decide on NYMC since it is past the 5/15 deadline. I'm WIGGING out ppl, and would love any advice, words of wisdom you have to offer. :confused:

When I visited NYMC I fell in love w/ NYC, but was ho-hum about Valhalla. Then again, how much free time will we have? : )

I guess I just wanted to ask everyone this for some perspective. I'm from Ohio and if you have ever lived in the mid-west people are usually very warm and friendly, say hi, etc. NYMC was my only non mid-west school, but it is also the only school where the current students didn't really say hi or chat to the kids who were interviewing.

Is this more of a big city thing? An east coast thing? The current students were kinda hard to read. The first girl who talked to us came up from Manhattan, she was a 4th year and was super super nice. But the girl who gave us our tour was stand off-ish. She was a REAL gunner and pretty much stated that you could choose to be friends with your class mates or you could choose to beat them in test scores,

I'm just trying to read the flavor/personality of the students there. What are your thoughts guys/gals? Also, if you were wrestling with this VERY hard decision, how did you make it. What were 2 or 3 of the things that SOLD you on NYMC?

Thanks for any help!

Well, I guess there's people like that in every group. I'm making a promise to you SDN people I'll meet at NYMC that I'll work hard, ask for help, and help as many people I can as possible. We're all going to be in this thing together... and fortunately, it seems like the fellow SDNers are with me on this one.

I liked NYMC's scores and the fact that they do mini-boards. I also like that there are so many hospitals to choose from. And that we can choose if we want to go to the Manhattan life or not. So there's a lot of choice, and hopefully a lot of good friends.

cassanova70, et al: I'm down for a meet-up in the city. Maybe the day before we move in or something, because I'll be coming from california.... most likely with parents in tow (extra suitcases for my crap :)). anyone have AIM? I'm "ruwan83". Creative, I know.

ruwan said:
Well, I guess there's people like that in every group. I'm making a promise to you SDN people I'll meet at NYMC that I'll work hard, ask for help, and help as many people I can as possible. We're all going to be in this thing together... and fortunately, it seems like the fellow SDNers are with me on this one.

I liked NYMC's scores and the fact that they do mini-boards. I also like that there are so many hospitals to choose from. And that we can choose if we want to go to the Manhattan life or not. So there's a lot of choice, and hopefully a lot of good friends.

cassanova70, et al: I'm down for a meet-up in the city. Maybe the day before we move in or something, because I'll be coming from california.... most likely with parents in tow (extra suitcases for my crap :)). anyone have AIM? I'm "ruwan83". Creative, I know.

Ruwan83 - you are so nice! I hope all the NYMC, or at least a large # are like you? Are you bringing your car? Mine isn't that reliable, so I think I may not....I certainly don't want to be spending money on a car I would have for 2 years b/c I would do the manhattan roataions.

Hey guys, where is everyone from? undergrad etc? I went to BU, ive been in boston for like 5 years, originally from Long Island. BTW if you are within driving distance to NY, bring a car, its worth it for the first 2 years. As for living in manhattan, a car is the last thing you need. My jeep rocks in the snow but any 4wd car would be fine. Ive spent tons of time in the city, and only on a rare occasion would i ever drive in. Metro North and the LIRR could be the most efficient mass transet system in the USA. Dont let this thread die :)

received email acceptance offer~ 1 hr ago!! really pleased as i had a great interview day and also got great feeling about the campus/children's hospital/research potential/etc... I also received an acceptance to drexel on monday... so--tough decision here, any comparisons?

NYMC: exceptional location, on campus hospitals/research pavilions, great rotations...didn;t see many current students...any comment on boards/match?

Drexel: decent location (i've lived in philly for the past 6yrs), cozy-modern medical education bldg, very friendly and accomodating student body/staff... any comment on boards/match?

I'm suddenly leaning towards NYMC as i am a huge fan of the metropolitan area that, in my humble opinion, has a singular monopoly on global culture and commerce...

excited,
biffer

That's what I'm talking about! I think we're about to enter into 4 of the hardest years of our lives man, and we need to be surrounded by people that are going to encourage each other and not try to back-stab to get ahead.

Yeah we definitely should meet up a few days before move-in. I'll be in the same boat (i.e. parents in tow), but it's cool, it won't matter. Plus, I have friends in the city, so they can tell us what would be a good place to go for whatever type of scene we're looking for.

I too am bringing my car, I don't think it's gonna be too good for snow-weather, it's definitely NOT a 4wd, but hell I'm not going to leave it here for my little brother to tear it to pieces.

Just got my email acceptance today and *think* I will be joining all of you at NYMC in August! Any other older and/or married students thinking of living in their family housing on campus? Has anyone seen it and care to share what it is like? Also, does financial aid/housing info come with the acceptance package they mail out or is it separate? Looking forward to meeting all of you in August!

dobs737 - I also plan to do my part to contribute having NYMC being a friendly, cooperative environment for the next four years. Med school should be a time simply to learn as much as is possible in a supportive environment. I can't wait to start!

DonnyV17 - I have lived in northern CA my whole life, and graduated last July from UC Berkeley with a Bioengineering/Business major. I am currently living in San Francisco and am working in an Americorps program called HealthCorps --- it has been the most amazing experience of my life. I finish on June 10, and leave for Eastarn Europe on June 12 (until June 30).

Biffer - I also got into Drexel (and Penn St...yea I got a lot of love from the PA schools. For me NYC much better suits me than Philadelphia, but since you lived there for 6 years you may have a stronger affinity to it. I liked NYMC's match better than Drexel's and I liked the overall feel of the school more than Drexel. I have friends who currently go their and I stayed with them for a couple days. I went with my gut, and my friends even told me to go to NYMC over Drexel. (for the reasons I listed in this post before)

pumpkin628 - Housing applications come out in the last week of May. Financial aid comes randomly, depending upon when you turned everything in (FAFSA, NYMC appliation, credit reports, tax returns). Hopefully you'll stick with NYMC!!

Yo Donny,
I'm originally from El Salvador, was there for 4 years, and then moved to the states (Miami->NY->McAllen, TX)...Did my undergrad at UT Austin (best school ever), then moved to Dallas where I've been for the past 3 years. I moved back to McAllen upon getting accepted @ UIC (which I'm turning down to in order to go to NYMC) so I could spend some good quality time with my 4-year-old daughter, Londyn, who lives with her mom, before shipping out for school.

BTW, along the lines of pumpkin's question, does anyone out there have kids/family/is married?

Is anyone thinking of getting a single in the dorm instead of sharing a room?

Hey, I was thinking about getting a single room if I go just because I pull weird hours and study better at home vs. the library. Who knows. I am kinda hesitant on the apartments. Ever have the freshman roomate from hell? That is what I'm scared of reliving!

So I have a question for all you folks out there, it has been nagging me in the back of my head. For all the other schools you had visited, how many students did they have per cadavar? For my schools it was 4-6. 6 max. And then NYMC said 8. I am really not liking that part. The best way to learn is to do the dissection yourself, not watch everyone else do it...I think we will be bumping elbows with all those people around the table!

dobs737 said:
Hey, I was thinking about getting a single room if I go just because I pull weird hours and study better at home vs. the library. Who knows. I am kinda hesitant on the apartments. Ever have the freshman roomate from hell? That is what I'm scared of reliving!

So I have a question for all you folks out there, it has been nagging me in the back of my head. For all the other schools you had visited, how many students did they have per cadavar? For my schools it was 4-6. 6 max. And then NYMC said 8. I am really not liking that part. The best way to learn is to do the dissection yourself, not watch everyone else do it...I think we will be bumping elbows with all those people around the table!

I thought it was 6 per cadaver. Regardless, I have talked to some students and they had only good things to say about the Gross Anatomy component of the first year curriculum. They said the professor did a great job of incorporating the systems and outlining each of their clinical siginificance.

I had the freshman roomate from hell, believe me it wasnt fun. I lived in an apt ever since. Im not to crazy about goin back into the "dorm" life and would love to get one of those 1br/2br apts... but whatever how bad can it be im sure we will all be buisy. I thought there were only 6/body, i always hated dissections, never really learned form them, i learned more from the atlas and books, i was never a lab person.... oh well i guess that has to change.

Hi Everyone,

I received my e-mail acceptance today and am really excited! While still waiting on waitlists at other schools, the comments and questions are really helpful on this thread. I'm glad I can finally read it and actually know I could be a part of NYMC Class of 2009! Although I'm not sure if I'll be attending NYMC in the fall, you all seem like a great bunch :)

I will continue to read this thread and keep you guys updated with what's going on with me. Congrats to all those already accepted and good luck to all of you who are still waiting..I sincerely hope you hear soon :)

Man this is getting out of control.
Ok, so not only did I like NYMC better than UIC, but it was cheaper. UIC tuition is $46,000/year for out-of-staters, while NYMC tuition is $37,000. So I chose NYMC and withdrew from UIC. Well, the dean of admissions at UIC wrote me and said that they would waive out-of-state tuition for me, bringing it down from $46,000/year to under $19,000, which would make it $18,000 cheaper to go to UIC! But like I said, I had my heard set on NYMC, but can I ignore this opportunity? That means that, in total, I could go to med school for like $120,000...and that's crazy...now I don't know what to do!